[Drama 2016-2017] Hwarang 화랑

Seiran029

^they're so cute! i think the reason why they have chemistry as smj and ah ro is that their personalities jive in real life and it translates onscreen.

Spoiler

for the spoiler, i'm hoping ban ryu will turn on his step dad. perhaps reason why he is not included in the mission is that he will be providing the diversion so that the other boys can sneak in. also, he'll probably pretend that he's still on his step dad's side, when in reality, he has already betrayed him and is working with the other hwarangs.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, athena22 said:

Saw this article.Spoilers of this weeks episode

Hoping for some juicy plot tonight. And I love that BTS photo between PHS and Go Ara. They looked so chummy together. @jjoy84 is right. That chemistry simply translated on screen. How I wish Aro could established that kind of friendship with SMJ.

Spoiler

When I looked at those photos of the Hwarang in black ensemble, I could not helped but noticed Park Hyung Sik's eyes. Gosh....those eyes. He still managed to look gorgeous even with half-face covered. :wub:

2 hours ago, jjoy84 said:

^they're so cute! i think the reason why they have chemistry as smj and ah ro is that their personalities jive in real life and it translates onscreen.

Hide contents

for the spoiler, i'm hoping ban ryu will turn on his step dad. perhaps reason why he is not included in the mission is that he will be providing the diversion so that the other boys can sneak in. also, he'll probably pretend that he's still on his step dad's side, when in reality, he has already betrayed him and is working with the other hwarangs.

I hope Ban Ryu does step up and turn against his step dad as well... Maybe there's some twist with the whole letting the assasins in to kill Moo Myung plot. We all know there is good inside of Ban Ryu but he has the fears of his step father letting go of him. Also there is Ban Ryu's father who is suffering and following beside the evil ahjussi... I guess that's why Ban ryu has been working for his step father... Even though this might be true, I still want Ban Ryu to leave his step father because we all know the evil ahjussi he is... Let's hope for the best all y'all Ban Ryu fans and Soo yeon and Ban Ryu shippers :)

@athena22 Super curious why Ban Ryu, Moo Myung, Soo Ho and Sam Maek Jong are infiltrating somewhere... I kinda have a feeling it's to get the stolen medicine, like I said before, but I could be wrong...

Also @jjoy84 that photo of Aro, she looks so stunning and beautiful! I wonder what that uniform is for though... I know people were saying it's because she's a Wonhwa now. Isn't the princess becoming a Wonhwa as well?

20 minutes ago, ferily said:

I hope Ban Ryu does step up and turn against his step dad as well... Maybe there's some twist with the whole letting the assasins in to kill Moo Myung plot. We all know there is good inside of Ban Ryu but he has the fears of his step father letting go of him. Also there is Ban Ryu's father who is suffering and following beside the evil ahjussi... I guess that's why Ban ryu has been working for his step father... Even though this might be true, I still want Ban Ryu to leave his step father because we all know the evil ahjussi he is... Let's hope for the best all y'all Ban Ryu fans and Soo yeon and Ban Ryu shippers :)

@athena22 Super curious why Ban Ryu, Moo Myung, Soo Ho and Sam Maek Jong are infiltrating somewhere... I kinda have a feeling it's to get the stolen medicine, like I said before, but I could be wrong...

you know it's not ban ryu with soo hoo as men in black (:lol: laughing at my comment) anyway its yeo wool look closely. Even i think it is about medicine my guess is that as ah ro and sun woo had seen in the preview they may come to know its whereabouts and this will hwarang coming to save the day by infiltrating the house and getting medicine..:)

The producers of “Hwarang” expressed, “In this episode, something special will happen that will trigger a change in the Hwarang

I'm wondering what it might be??What special we'll have to wait for 4 more hours in KST:tongue:

3 minutes ago, athena22 said:

you know it's not ban ryu with soo hoo as men in black (:lol: laughing at my comment) anyway its yeo wool look closely. Even i think it is about medicine my guess is that as ah ro and sun woo had seen in the preview they may come to know its whereabouts and this will hwarang coming to save the day by infiltrating the house

Oh wow, you're right! I thought it was Ban Ryu this whole time... My bad! :sweatingbullets: We'll just have to wait for today's episode to see what really happens~

I was curious what Wonhwa is so I googled it and got this!

Spoiler

The wonhwa (Original Flowers) were a class of cadets in 6th-century Silla, one of the Three Kingdoms of Korea. It is not clear to what extent they ever engaged in battle. Created in the reign of King Jinheung, the first group of wonhwa consisted of about 300 young people chosen for their beauty and skill. Their leaders were two women. However, after one of them committed murder, the wonhwa class was abolished, and replaced by the all-male hwarang.

Subsequently, the Wonhwa title was granted to female spiritual leaders of the Hwarang. "The term Won Hwa is often incorrectly used to represent a single individual; in fact, Won Hwa was a group of highly revered Buddhist nuns who spiritually guided these Buddhist monastic warriors."[1]

Some have suggested that wonhwa might be the origin of the later kisaeng class, but little evidence exists to support this theory.

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonhwa

It sounds interesting... so apparently before Hwarang was Wonhwa...

15 hours ago, sakura2016 said:

hhhh well they are my OTP so TOTALLY see the couple vibe from them!! :tongue::wub:

yeah I'm waiting for that too and we will have Sun Woo and Han Sung cute moment too!! I was so waiting for it!! :w00t::wub:

Han Sung is so cute and I love how Sun Woo is looking at him tenderly like a big brother watching his younger brother cheering him up!! :wub: awwww

cr: owner

This!!!!  Also I wanted to say that I have found that Park Seo Joon looks handsome and manly in saeguk attire. I have loved him as an actor since Witch's Romance and can't wait for his movie and next drama. 

Hwarang: Ah Ro the Mentor and Maker of a Hero.

I have always felt that Hwarang is the story of the making of a hero. Despite that, the theme of “Kings” has weaved strongly into the last few episodes. Ultimately to me, it is still about a hero rather than a king. Hwarang is the beginning of the Dawn of Heroes.

Most heroes have to go through some of these things:

• living an ordinary life (well most anyway)
  • a form of separation
  • a call to adventure
  • goes through an initiation
  • testing
  • making allies and enemies
  • usually, has a mentor
  • faces temptation
  • resurrection or rebirth

Ah Ro shares her talents in caring, nurturing, patching, encouraging and giving counsel to these budding heroes. They need someone like her. She first enters as the famous “half-breed” but before long these “boys” (heroes in their making) truly watch out for her. She has earned their respect.They in return lend her their protection and loyalty. 

And THEY all know that she is the reason that Dog Bird will win at anything. 

Ah Ro is our hero mentor and maker.

Heroes, in general, have the sense to recognize problems and act to accept responsibility. And their goal is to usually liberate corruption. And most heroes have some natural crazy ability to not fear death. Death is their playground.

Enter Dog Bird/Moo Myung and he definitely has covered most if not all of the steps that most heroes go through. He has lived mostly an ordinary life away from the Capital. His separation is the catalyst for his journey. The loss of a dear friend/family can either break or help make you. And this nearly breaks him almost sending him to the dark side. 

He gets a mentor. And you know who that mentor is? Ah Ro. She is the beauty of a solid rock foundation that is introduced into his life.  A balm to his hurting heart. Ah Ro teaches our hero some important things. And the stubborn hero actually listens to her. She can get to him like no one can. She’s the only one. She starts out with the basics and like a great mentor she gives him space to work out his natural god given gifts. And man Dog Bird has some natural gifts that are being unleashed. 

She starts off by teaching him to read and write beyond the two hundred characters he thinks exist in their world. 

She teaches him how to ride a horse. Which is not an easy feat. And our hero displays some quick learning skills and heroic saving through this training.

She encourages him to make friends and allies. That he cannot do it alone. And guess who takes an arrow for him? And always watches his back? Although yes, it begins because it’s the Queen and they think he is a King. But Soo Ho genuinely likes him. And when Dog Bird passes out and falls off of his horse, guess who calls everyone around to be supportive to their roommate? So Hoo. So Ah Ro was right about “making friends.” Well, Ah Ro is usually spouting all the right stuff. That’s another gift hero makers have: they say the right things at the right time.

Ah Ro “patches” things up in Dog Birds life from clothes, wounds, miscommunication and his heart. She is a hero maker. She truly connects to him. And she does it with mustered grace while being under fire.

Dog Bird is no different. He can do anything as long as he knows Ah Ro is on and by his side. 

Ah Ro has the talent and power in earning people’s respect and trust. I emphasize earning their trust. Because most people portrayed in this drama (especially the “true bone”) only have the respect of the people because of fear and their titles. If you watch throughout the series you will see that whoever Ah Ro comes in contact with (maybe except the Queen and the Princess) come to trust her.

She also lends her talents of hero making to Hwarang House. 

Ah Ro shares her talents in caring, nurturing, patching, encouraging and giving counsel to these budding heroes. They need someone like her. She first enters as the famous “half-breed” but before long these “boys” (heroes in their making) truly watch out for her. She has earned their respect.They in return lend her their protection and loyalty. 

And THEY all know that she is the reason that Dog Bird will win at anything. 

Ah Ro is our hero mentor and maker.

50 minutes ago, dani4lane said:

Not upset or angry just giving constructive criticism.  It's something I wanted to say for a very long time.  Did my comments offend you? I didn't find my comments breaking any rules!!!!

No no it didn't don't worry :D

22 hours ago, mundaliv said:

Ah Ro new look is nice. Is it a uniform? We only have 2 more weeks of Hwarang, right? Hope that we will have good final episodes.

I'm also wondering why PSJ doesn't wear headband.. 

Bit off topic. Are the costumes of sageuk different for every era? Hwarang will be the first sageuk that I watch until the end. So I don't know about the clothes  of sageuk. Hwarang is Silla or 3 kingdom era, before Goryeo? Are the clothes different with Goryeo era? 

I loooooove Ah Ro in her Wonhwa uniform, though she looks so sad.... ah well, perhaps she was actually TRAPPED in that beautiful uniform, wasn't she? Too bad, the style and color of the uniform were just too beautiful for such sad face.... I am curious of how the princess looks in her wonhwa uniform. I bet she looks gorgeous....

As for @mundaliv off topic question, I am sorry I will have to type it in here because I don't have a spoiler button on my reply box (I wonder why...hmmmm...?). Here it is: I watched sageuk from different eras. Shilla is from the 3 kingdom era, together with Goryeo and Baekje. Although they were from the same era, the styles were quite distinctive from one another because they were coming from three different, let's just say, tribes.  However, Chinese's influences were quite strong in all of them as you can see from their basic styling: the large sleeves, kimono-style cut, their head gear, accessories, and so on. If you want to know how Goryeo's style look like, do take a peek on "Scarlet Heart" (I don't like their color scheme, tho). Since Goryeo was the largest of the three kingdom, thus wealthier and stronger, their style were more extravagant than shilla or baekje with more elaborate ornaments and accessories. Shilla was the smallest kingdom, [hence their queen's attire were too modest for my taste (or their costume designer was just lazy as someone mentioned earlier hihi)], but even though I was a bit apprehensive at first about the costume of Hwarang, lately I found it to be quite beautiful in their own right.

Another style you might have seen in other sageuk probably was from the Joseon era. This era defined what the Korean have now as their hanbok . So far, I found the best Joseon's costumes were coming from Moonlight Drawn by Cloud. The costume designer for this particular drama had done the most wonderful job ever in creating their costume, though some might say that they were heavily modified, thus not necessarily portray the true fashion of Joseon. Frankly, I don't really care since the costume were waaaaay... waaaaaaay.... beautiful heheh..... there was this wonderful blog about the costume of MDbC, you can always look it up.

16 hours ago, USAFarmgirl said:

And the most beautiful thing around us is each other...  Just like the Hwarang full of so many personalities yet they are each special and unique and so interesting.  So looking forward to what lies ahead and making the most out of each episode and enjoying the experience as well as all the colorful posts that are a part of each of us and who we are.  For our thoughts, memories, and feelings about this amazing story are the real beauty of this thread.  So thankful we're back and hoping our eyes are always open to understanding and our arms are always open with respect and our hearts are always open to one another...:wub: 

credit and thanks to original owners of photos and quote:heart:

@USAFarmgirl, I always admire your post. Your style of writing are definitely worth waiting for. Are you some kind of a writer or something? You can write down in such a terrifying details about an episode, and then you add some, and voila! Your writing that were part recaps, part review, and part fanfic. Daebak!

And I cannot agree more to your post here. There are so many personalities here, a bunch of interesting people from all over the world. @USAFarmgirl could be Ah Ro because of your talent in story telling hihi :). I might probably eyeing someone as Master Park Hyung Sil who keen on throwing SMJ off his throne :tongue: And me? Oh I could be Pa Oh because I am an ahjumma claiming to be a Noona hahahaha.....

Anyway, I am really glad that this thread is finally unlocked. It was even more agonizing for me not to be able to read and post to this thread than to wait for Hwarang to air on Tuesday (at my part of the world). Hope everybody as happy as I am with this thread. Come to think of it, I could be watching Hwarang because I want to be able to join in this lovely thread and have something to talk about with you guys, and not the other way around :D

Do jihan praises maknae (Kim Taehyung (Hansung :D) ) in an interview..:tongue:

Actor Do Ji Han Praises BTS’s V For His Work Attitude And Acting In “Hwarang”

Do-Ji-Han-Kim-Taehyung.jpg&key=0e59b13a2

Actor Do Ji Han recently sat down for an interview, where he talked about working with Kim Taehyung(also known as BTS’s V) for their current KBS2 drama “Hwarang.”

During the interview, Do Ji Han spoke of Kim Taehyung’s first attempt at acting, saying, “Because it was Taehyung’s first time acting, we were really worried too. He went to Park Seo Joon for a lot of help. Taehyung’s agency is close to where I live, so he also asked me for help. Whenever he calls me, he asks where I am, and when I tell him I’m at home, he says, ‘Do you want to eat together?’ So we eat food, drink coffee, and talk for a while. Then we go to his practice room, spread out the script, and talk about it.”

“Taehyung unexpectedly worked really really hard. He’s talented by nature. Whenever I saw him, I naturally found myself smiling. He’s also grown a lot in acting. Because he has a lot of talent, I thought he would do well if I just guided him a little. He has a strong will,” Do Ji Han explained.

The actor also talked about Kim Taehyung’s attitude on set, saying, “Everyone is busy. When you’re the youngest, it can be hard to approach the older actors. But Taehyung will approach the older actors first and make suggestions on what to do together. He’s really an affectionate person. When I saw him juggling his music schedule, I thought ‘It must be hard. It must be physically straining.’ But seeing him laugh till the end and energetically finish [filming] made me think that he is amazing.”

While I read this i remembered this pic from Do jihan's instagram

Spoiler

fanart i saw just now is really beautiful...
16110682_707837692717256_417296495750099

38 minutes ago, athena22 said:

Do jihan praises maknae (Kim Taehyung (Hansung :D) ) in an interview..

to be fair, taehyung is proving to be one of the stronger actors in this drama. i was pleasantly surprised that this is actually his first time acting. hope he'll be given more projects so that he can hone his skills. 

out of curiosity, how is go ara's relationship with her co actors? i've seen a lot of articles about the close relationship of the boys but no articles for the girls (go ara, seo ye ji and lee da in). based from the bts and stills, it looks like ara and phs are pretty close.

2 hours ago, dani4lane said:

Can i just say, its so  funny how Ji Dwi has been angsting around without doing much to change his situation for  16 episodes 

minus standing up to his mom when she was going to kill Ah Ro and the end of episode 16 - honestly speaking he’s done nothing

he hasn’t tried to form bonds with any of the Hwarang members (minus Sun Woo), he hasn’t been placed in a tense situation and dealt with it, he hasn’t had a single episode without brooding, and he keeps moping after Ah Ro even though she’s rejected him more than once. 

and yet, not a single person complains about it. 

people will complain every two seconds about Ah Ro and Sun Woo, and yet they’ve been doing more for the story than Ji Dwi altogether.

Every time one of the boys messes up, it all comes back to Ah ro, somehow. the perpetual undercurrent of aggression is put on blast, turning into blaming her for the “show being bad” and wishing she would die.

Sam Maek Jong forcing a kiss on her ends up being “Ah Ro’s so annoying!!! cut her screentime, she doesn’t need it! Go Ara sucks!!”

Sam Maek Jong and Queen Ji So being careless, cavalier enough with their peoples’ lives (the people that Sam Maek Jong claims to care about oh so much) to carry on with their mother-son feuds in plain sight, where anyone can see them amounts to “All Ah Ro does is cry, what a useless girl.”

Ban Ryu taking the cowards’ way out and betraying them turns into “Ah Ro’s the worst part of this story!”

Sam Maek Jong watching as innocents are slaughtered at his feet, torn between protecting his secret–which, at this point isn’t even worth keeping–and protecting the lives of innocent people. That one becomes “Ah Ro should just die!” 

you scream injustice at the Seok boys’ grandfather beating Dan Se in Han Sung’s stead? do you realize that what you’re doing is the same thing? that you’re turning Ah Ro into a whipping boy for your beloved pure-blooded jingol boys.

she doesn’t deserve this, i don’t deserve this, and my fellow good people don’t deserve this.    

lol.. didn't you post a simila comment on dramabeans? or maybe you have an ally..

Having an opinion is ne thing.. but outright assuming and declaring everyone here has no moral compass and is totally driven by hormones is too presumptuous of you.

maybe you like the actress, some don't. and her incapability to portray her character is an issue. Maybe the way you interpret scenes may not be the 100% correct way.. You gotta tone down you accusatory remarks.

Archived