[Drama 2016-2017] Hwarang 화랑

Seiran029

Do Ji Han Says Group Shower Scene Was Important In Strengthening Friendship Of “Hwarang” Actors

Do Ji Han Hwarang

Actor Do Ji Han opened up about his friendship with the cast of “Hwarang” in a recent interview and said that their group shower scene really cemented their bond.

“Hwarang” is often called a drama that is pleasing to the eye by viewers as it features handsome actors like Do Ji Han, Park Seo Joon, Park Hyung Sik, SHINee’s Minho, BTS’s Kim Taehyung (V), and Jo Yoon Woo. The actors spent six months together for the drama, and have kept in touch since then.

What brought them together was the infamous “group shower scene.” Do Ji Han said, “Our friendship strengthened rapidly after the shower scene. We even went drinking together afterwards,” and “Don’t guys usually become closer after going to the sauna and stuff? Revealing our bodies to each other in that shower scene helped us become friends faster.”

The actor also added, “We all became really close, so much so that it’s hard to single out a specific person I’ve become closest with. Everyone talks a lot in our group chatroom. It was thanks to them that I was able to overcome the summer heat last year.” He added that though everyone is quite talkative, Kim Taehyung talks the most and as the youngest, is very nice to all of them.

Their chatroom was lighting up right up to the moment of the interview, with the group of guys discussing a photo taken of Park Seo Joon as he headed out to L.A. for a fashion show. Do Ji Han said, “Minho just uploaded a screenshot of Park Seo Joon going to the airport and wrote ‘Wow.’ I replied with, ‘He’s so handsome and tall.’ I haven’t checked to see if he’s replied yet.”

The actor stated that the group’s close friendship really helped the drama, as the positive energy from their friendship translated well into every scene they shot together.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:sigh:

I love PSJ. I really do. I knew him since dream high 2 until now.

but man oh man, I live for SMJ in this drama.

I just..

SW doesn't appeal to me, and Aro? ew no thanks.

I just want SMJ to find someone else(me!) because Aro is a big no noooooo.

I just want to see SMJ's happiness, and I want him to be the real Silla's king. and I just love that Wi Hwa Rang is siding with him <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

@athena22  in some other thread I picked up, the ratings are from Korean households. It may not be very popular there but some drama for example Winter Sonata went wild overseas and BYJ short to stardom. So with so many postings, it can be an indication, just enjoy the show I say. The producers aren't likely to cancel it.

11 minutes ago, maribella said:

@athena22  in some other thread I picked up, the ratings are from Korean households. It may not be very popular there but some drama for example Winter Sonata went wild overseas and BYJ short to stardom. So with so many postings, it can be an indication, just enjoy the show I say. The producers aren't likely to cancel it.

Yeap, and ppl like us watch it through online :D most of the time.  We had that experience before with other drama currently.  The best part is the actors are still popular an even won the awards last year.

8 hours ago, sheza said:

I don't agree that the writer is putting down SMJ to elevate SW.  I think the writer is trying to document the journey to maturity that made SMJ a great king that he is.  I don't think I am putting down PSJ  either when I said the romantic scenes are really lacking but I think it is deliberate since he is uncouth and lacking in the finer things.  Go Ara also couldn't really bring out the emotions and she's lacking the mannerism of women of her times.  I am not bashing her but this is just an honest opinion of her acting in Hwarang.  I think she did better in Reply.  I like both leads but I think SMJ really shines here.  He emotes well and the King's character suits him.  I think just because one is shining more than others, causing people to take notice doesn't make another bad so let's not make a fan war out of this or blame the writer.  I actually like how the story is going plot wise though I do think the story line need to be tighter.  It is fast moving in some parts and slow in others.  Remember that the characters in the drama are all flawed in one way and part of the fun is watching them grow into better characters.     

Totally agree with you. I also like PSJ  as he act well in this drama but right now I already given up my hope in the romance department lol and I don't really care what Ah Ro & SW up too just do it lol.  I would love to focus and enjoy more on SMJ journey to become great King  Jinheung. I am totally attracted to PHS portrayal as SMJ and been rooting for him since earlier episodes hehe. However the bromance in this drama is hotter than the romance lol. But I really enjoy bromance in this drama.

@sheza   I think both PSJ and PHS are doing a great job as actors,  in their respective roles, bringing to the fore the characters they play.  

One is rough around the edges by nature,  uncouth,  having been brought up the way he was,  with no name and unknown parents, in a place  where life was harsh and survival was the name of the game.   Hwarang brought out that innate leadership.    The other is refined, rich, educated, trained and overprotected to the point of being hidden incognito;   with a mother putting him down,   he has an issue with  confidence,  and fear instilled, that the king could be killed even before his reign.    They are polar opposites, in a sense. 

Their similarities:  without a name and assuming the identity of his dead friend gave MM/SW an  entitlement that  enabled him  to be in Hwarang.   Without a known face and assuming the name Jidwi,  allowed him  freedom  to join Hwarang.

All set ups --joining hwarang,  the characteristics and complexity of the people surrounding them, everything that was good or  bad, rich or poor,  friend or foe,  the politics,  the  statement of the king being within hwarang,  seeing the blood of a friend, comrade,  and common people,  are a learning process, developing the future king to be the Great Jinheung, and the other, hopefully be a great warrior for and ally of the king.  The two of them do make a formidable team when they work together.

I am so disappointed with this drama. I has such high hopes when I started watching it, but the writer wasted talented actors on a unnecessary romance. The romance would have been okay as a side story that helped to move the story along, but it became a part of the main story for weeks. I thought that there would be more action and interaction with all the hwarang and the outside forces that solidified their bonds. No, what I got is a gushy, immature romantic story. There were enough plot lines for the writer to pull from, with all the queen's machinations, the nobles fighting behind the scenes and the hwarang learning how to get along and become the elite fighting men that were recorded in history, without spending episodes on a lacking love story between MM and AR...totally unnecessary. The writer dropped the ball and as with other K-dramas, lost the direction of the story. Now the writer will try to cram everything in the last few episodes. Those episodes will feel rushed, some plot lines will undoubtedly suffer and others will be left dangling. I think the way this screen play was written did a disservice to the actors and the viewers.

17 hours ago, jjoy84 said:

a bit off topic, isn't the princess older than smj? why did she call him oraboni then? oraboni is the oppa counterpart in the olden days, correct?

i haven't seen the latest eps yet, but from the feedback, it looks like smj and the princess also has chemistry. that's good then, at least he and the princess can have a good life when the dust settles. he may still be in love with ah ro till the end of the drama, and princess may still like sw, but they can still fall for each other. 

Hide contents

still shipping phs with go ara in real life though... :lol:. the mini fan bts did me in. :D

I eally don't know her age but yes orabonie is oppa in our modern days!! 

yes I think so too!! 

hhhhhhhhhh

17 hours ago, carmens said:

Hwarahg!!!!!!!!!!! = Elves

their arrival at the appropriate time, how they flying  in the grass holding their bowsin their hands, the long hair waving in the wind, their beauty almost supernatural, all this reminded me of the lves in the "Lord of the Rings" movie , the arrival of elves at the old fortress in the mountains in the last battle ... awesome!

the way that General of Baekje, uttered their names already showing fear and admiration at the same time.

Hide contents

Hide contents

Elves are coming !!

they fly over grass

Hwarang are coming !!

they are here!

Also,

I'm not ready to give up on this,
BalRyu come on!

Hide contents

Also,

These poor people have escaped death twice in Baekje and returned to their country to die of the plague?
Come on! Writernim, you kidding me now ?!

hhhhhhhhhhhhhh I didn't whatch that movie but that was funny!! :lol: 

yes me too!! :confounded:

good thing the kid is with that shop's owner!! :( 

16 hours ago, giyom1 said:

Most of us feel bad for SMJ but for this the conversation between the queen and MM its so unfair, so unfair for MM..

I feel bad for both of them and yes it's really unfair foe Sun Woo and I'm waiting for Meak Jong to stop his mother's plan in using Sun Woo as his shield anylore!! :confounded:

16 hours ago, silvianage said:

Yes agree with you

I my self feel bad for MM in this ep, the queen is choking him to death and push him to his limit, it's remind me of Wang So in Scarlet who never want to be a king untill every body create a circumstances that force him to be a king to make things right.  Right now MM is pushed in that direction too, but I believe in him, he will not take the throne from SMJ because SMJ already become his friend and he start to understand SMJ situation better that's why although he knows SMJ is the king he hesitate in killing him

yes I agree with you!! as long as he see Meak Jong fighting to be the King he should be he won't think about being a King!! I loved how after their last conversation he was shaked when Meak Jong told him to kill the King/him if he still wants to!! at that moment he was still angry at him/weak king but doesn't have the will to kill him anymore as he used to!! 

I was in tears through their sceen!! :tears: 

cr:  lialialia92

16 hours ago, MiAmour said:

According to this article, they stated that AGB Neilsen is.... 7.9% 

(dropped from prev eps)  :unsure:

that's sad but I love my drama and wish it will get better in the future!! :)

15 hours ago, silvianage said:
16 hours ago, mundaliv said:

off topic @ferily, SWP is one of my fave kdrama :) PSJ is the most nice looking there. He suits more modern style especially in SWP in comparison with KMHM or WR. PSJ in sageuk does not look so good from my opinion (the hair I mean).

High Five, SWP is one of my fave kdrama too, PSJ is so handsome there.

I don't quite like PSJ hair style in Hwarang too, I think they can not find the suitable one for him but I lovessss his fighting scene in Hwarang, hope he will also do some action drama in the future (with better script and not from Hwarang writer though)

I find him really handsome though!! :tongue::wub: 

and yes I hope for that!! it would be great and he's doing an action movie so we will see him in action soon hopefully!! :w00t::wub: 

15 hours ago, USAFarmgirl said:

A Kiss Of Love For One, Is A Kiss of Death For Another....

Spoiler

One persons heart is numb and breaking...

I can't even imagine how shocked and crushed and even betrayed SMJ would have felt at this moment but I think his hurt and shooting his bow gave us an example of how bad it really was.  Every arrow must have felt like a release of anger soaring somewhere, anywhere just wishing he could erase it from his memory go back pretend it never was.  So much pain in losing the one thing the only thing he ever really wanted.  To love and be loved by her would have meant more to him than even being King.  With every thrust into that target it must have felt like the flashback of that passionate kiss he can't get out of his mind no matter how hard he tries.  No where to run from it, no where to hide from it... What is he to do he loves her so??  Although his mind knows he just can't change whats deep inside his heart and can't let go of these feelings for ARO...

SMJ who truly is the King of Heart...  No matter what others believe he does have courage and loves more than ARO he loves the people and his country and has dreams for them but it's his confidence that holds him back...He must have also been so shocked that it was the one person MM he least expected and most likely the last person he wanted it to be, his first and only real friend...

Yet, another persons heart is alive beating for the first time...

Watching MM & ARO's not only passionate exchange and amazing kiss but also the sweetness that comes with falling and being in love for the first time.  Everything and anything feels as if its fresh and new from secretly holding hands to soft touches and whispers of I love you its the giving and receiving of ones feelings and desires as well as cherishing and being cherished. It was said best by their own words ARO sharing that all that mattered back then was that MM would be ok for she had already received the greatest gift that of one risking his life out of his love for her.  Yet, MM quickly reminds her that If you were to die, I would die as well. He even went one step further he reminds her that she comes before him and to please take care of her self.  For a man who usually has so little words this scene proves that there is still so many amazing things we haven't seen or heard from MM inside he truly is a Romantic White Night...

chingu!! :heart::thumbsup:

14 hours ago, Ainee Etp said:

Anyone understand what is the queen trying to do? She told SW that she's going to use him - "if you're pretending to be the king, then just continue to act like a king. You have to fool the world, the subjects and yourself. I have no fear as long as my son sits on the throne"  Then she told her guard that SMJ is just a child and can't do anything on the throne. Is she going to pretend SW is her son and puts him on the throne?

no!! she's planning in making Sun Woo her son's shield so he'll be the target f the real King's ennemies while she keeps ruling in Meak Jong's stead!! if he survived that danger than good for her and if he died then all she'll do is say he's not her son/the real King and keep ruling like she used to keeping Meak Jong in the hide showing him his fate if he shows himsef that Sun Woo faced!! sure thing Sun Woo won't die (I'll kill her if he gets harmed :rage: ) but I'm saying what she's planning to!! 

14 hours ago, fionnoula said:

PS. is it only me ? I feel strong chemistry between SMJ and the princess. I was holding my breath the whole time after she call him oraboni..with their face so close to each other, I feel that they would kiss each other out of passion anytime ( and I am not ready to see sister and brother kiss each other ^^;)

yes I felt the same way too!!

13 hours ago, emiry32 said:

The one thought that stayed with me throughout this episode was... WHY DID YOU BREAK UP WITH SOO YEON, BAN RYU!?? :bawling::heartbreak: Arghhhh...please let SY and BR get back together. I loved this couple way too much...please let there be a happy ending between the two :tears: 

Dang...that scene between the princess and SMJ though...

I am glad there's progress coming along! It seems that SMJ will announce he is King from the preview. I feel like Moo Myung understands SMJ more from his words today. Yes, he may still be angry about the death from his friend, but SMJ talking about how he lived in the past was sad and heartbreaking. I just hope their friendship won't waver and become stronger as time passes! 

Also, my favorite scene was when SMJ retrieved his bracelet. You go SMJ!!! Show that evil master who you are! :w00t: 

The next episode seems exciting just from the preview...here comes the long wait for Monday again sigh -_-

I hope for all their happy ending!! :confounded:

yes!! it was really sad but finally they adressed that matter and cleared in even undirectly!! Sun Woo being still mad is understandable but it's not as it used to and he knows that Mak Moon died because of the weak king but not by him which is a good thing!!

1 hour ago, hazeljrr_c922 said:

@sheza   I think both PSJ and PHS are doing a great job as actors,  in their respective roles, bringing to the fore the characters they play.  

One is rough around the edges by nature,  uncouth,  having been brought up the way he was,  with no name and unknown parents, in a place  where life was harsh and survival was the name of the game.   Hwarang brought out that innate leadership.    The other is refined, rich, educated, trained and overprotected to the point of being hidden incognito;   with a mother putting him down,   he has an issue with  confidence,  and fear instilled, that the king could be killed even before his reign.    They are polar opposites, in a sense. 

Their similarities:  without a name and assuming the identity of his dead friend gave MM/SW an  entitlement that  enabled him  to be in Hwarang.   Without a known face and assuming the name Jidwi,  allowed him  freedom  to join Hwarang.

All set ups --joining hwarang,  the characteristics and complexity of the people surrounding them, everything that was good or  bad, rich or poor,  friend or foe,  the politics,  the  statement of the king being within hwarang,  seeing the blood of a friend, comrade,  and common people,  are a learning process, developing the future king to be the Great Jinheung, and the other, hopefully be a great warrior for and ally of the king.  The two of them do make a formidable team when they work together.

Yes agreed! That's why I think they would be two characters perfect to intertwine each other because they compliment each other~ I only wish the drama focused more on their relationship with each other because like you said, they make a great team when they work together :) I hope by the end of the drama, they will be on each other's side

On 2/1/2017 at 8:25 PM, ferily said:

The Princess is the Queen's daughter, but I believe her father is not the same as SMJ, considering they're half-siblings

I thought about it and I think the princess is the king's daughter.  Normally siblings with the same mother do not marry.  Usually when siblings marry they have the same father, but not the same mother.  Remember SMJ is the former king's nephew, which means he did not have any sons to ascend to the throne.  Another theory: since the princess was a "Park", the queen might have adopted her as her daughter.  Earlier in Silla's history, the Parks and the Kims used to take terms on the throne.  Their two families were considered "true bone."

11 hours ago, sheza said:

I said the romantic scenes are really lacking but I think it is deliberate since he is uncouth and lacking in the finer things.

I am not agreeing or disagreeing with your statement, I am only saying that being uncouth does not mean that you don't know how to bring it on.  No fault of the actors, the pairing was not right.  Those things happen.  I do not know if this drama was pre-produced or produced as the series ran.  If this drama was produced while the series ran, the writer should have made some adjustments to the script and taken much of the romance out.  

I would have preferred it, if they had to have a triangle (which I am not a fan of) have one between SMJ, AR and the princess. or MM, the princess and SMJ. Perhaps AR would have been better if she was paired with one of the other leading Hwarang.   

14 hours ago, ferily said:

Where should I even start with this episode... Do I begin with what the heck is the Queen's plan and why is she trying to use Moo Myung... Why would she want him to pretend to be King. She said herself that SMJ is still a child and unable to take the throne. Well I hate to break it to you lady but he ain't gonna be ready if you're constantly doing stuff like this... SMJ himself is struggling to not be afraid and stay in hiding anymore, so what good is it going to do MM is covering SMJ even more? Please do something that makes logical sense woman. By pushing SMJ to be in the darkness more and more, we're never going to get anywhere lady...

Sun Woo is her way to keep Meak Jong safe in the hide while she's still ruling like she used to!! he will assure Meak Jong's safety being the target to his ennemies so she can rule till her death then Meak Jong will take over!! 

I'm confused with Soo Ho... At the end of the scene, he calls Moo Myung, Gaesae and Sun Woo, but if he thinks Sun Woo is the King, wouldn't he have said protect "majesty"? Maybe he said it since the group of assassins were around, but the assassins know or think Sun Woo is the king...is it me or is something fishy going on here.. Did SMJ and SH plan something...or am I just thinking too far :sweatingbullets: I swear watching all those mystery, detective and action drama makes you think too much..

I loved that moment!! I can see Soo Ho protecting Sun Woo and seeing him as his friend not the King at that moment!! yes he thinks he's the King and knows that the assassins are after him as the King but he acted as the friend not the subject or the bodygard to protect him!! :wub:

row the old man in jail and let him rot there!) Ahem, I apologize, I'm just really angry at what the evil ahjussi is doing. Letting the plague go on within the citizens and not giving medicine :angry: And then using Ban Ryu for his own use and trying to kill SW at the end of Episode 16.... 

I'd love that actually!! :naughty: I wanted Abeoji to take him to where the plague is and let him get sick himself in return of letting people die to rise the medication's price!! :rage: 

Okay, but about MM... I really really hope that the drama doesn't take the route of Moo Myung wanting the throne, and SMJ and MM end up fighting for it... Please writers... jaebal.. Don't ruin the story by doing something like this.. Hasn't SMJ had a enormous pitiful life already, and now you're going to make MM try to claim the throne?? I'm not saying it'll happen for sure, but seeing how things are going with the drama, it seems the writers are thinking to take that route.. After what Jisoo's brother said to MM, you can't say that MM wasn't some what interested in what he said... Plus notice how Moo Myung didn't go home on his day off and instead stayed at the Hwarang school? I don't know...maybe i'm thinking things to far but seeing how the writers is taking the drama, who knows what'll happen.

Sun Woo have no interest in the throne if Meak Jong shows he's working to become the King he should be which he will!! Sun Woo's issue with the King is being weak and allowing the people to die and get killed and have a misarable life while watching in his hide and seeing him fighting to change that is enough for him to stand by him and help him reach that!! :D

Also another bromance scene is at the end of the drama where Yeowool, Soo Hoo, Moo Myung and Han sung's brother in the distance, are all together... Ahhh, love how they swooped in and saved Moo Myung and then SH handed him his sword :D Ahhh~~

loved it so much!! :wub: 

Lastly, I am glad that SMJ is finally taking the initiative to take the throne and be a King. I think Sun Woo acting as King and proving that he can actually be a worthy King is a wake up call for SMJ to 정신찬려 (Like get your head together.. I don't know, the English translation just doesn't fully interpret the actual meaning of it...if that makes sense). I'm super excited to see him take some action and stand up to his mother :D I wonder what his plan is to confront Youngsil like that and confessing he is the King.. I also wonder when all the Hwarang boys are going to find out SW isn't the King but SMJ is? Can't wait to see what happens in Episode 17 and 18 and what SMJ is going to do~ I'll just leave this photo here...

yes!! he saw what he should do as a King through Sun Woo and he can't let his friend remain the target of his ennemies!! 

well they'll find out he was protecting the real King but will they find out he's a royalty too?!! that's funny and confusing at the same time:at 1st they hought he's a low birth man, then Sun Woo a half-breed, then King Jinjeung, then back to Sun Woo then royalty (Prince) that we don't know his name yet!! :blink: hhhhh

12 hours ago, greenemerald said:

I think Sw will wake up and reject the princess from kissing him and he make a confession someone already in his mind..always happen in kdramaland..

But for the promise they made between ah ro and sw..I think ah ro will die or hurt..if ah ro die one said 1 hwarang will die then it will be sw.(but i dont want that to be happen tho..pls writer dont make us sad)

why turn it into a tragic ending chingu!! :confounded: no don't see her dying nor Sun Woo!! THEY CAN'T DO THAT!! 

11 hours ago, maribella said:

I was thinking of another curved ball, maybe SMJ and SW were twins of the Queen. As in Man in the Iron Mask, one is in trouble. Maybe she instructed one to die but he lived to be SW.  

that can't be!! Sun Woo is older than Meak Jong!! 

6 hours ago, Yongzura said:

Do Ji Han Says Group Shower Scene Was Important In Strengthening Friendship Of “Hwarang” Actors

Spoiler

Actor Do Ji Han opened up about his friendship with the cast of “Hwarang” in a recent interview and said that their group shower scene really cemented their bond.

“Hwarang” is often called a drama that is pleasing to the eye by viewers as it features handsome actors like Do Ji Han, Park Seo Joon, Park Hyung Sik, SHINee’s Minho, BTS’s Kim Taehyung (V), and Jo Yoon Woo. The actors spent six months together for the drama, and have kept in touch since then.

What brought them together was the infamous “group shower scene.” Do Ji Han said, “Our friendship strengthened rapidly after the shower scene. We even went drinking together afterwards,” and “Don’t guys usually become closer after going to the sauna and stuff? Revealing our bodies to each other in that shower scene helped us become friends faster.”

The actor also added, “We all became really close, so much so that it’s hard to single out a specific person I’ve become closest with. Everyone talks a lot in our group chatroom. It was thanks to them that I was able to overcome the summer heat last year.” He added that though everyone is quite talkative, Kim Taehyung talks the most and as the youngest, is very nice to all of them.

Their chatroom was lighting up right up to the moment of the interview, with the group of guys discussing a photo taken of Park Seo Joon as he headed out to L.A. for a fashion show. Do Ji Han said, “Minho just uploaded a screenshot of Park Seo Joon going to the airport and wrote ‘Wow.’ I replied with, ‘He’s so handsome and tall.’ I haven’t checked to see if he’s replied yet.”

The actor stated that the group’s close friendship really helped the drama, as the positive energy from their friendship translated well into every scene they shot together.

thank you so much for sharing!! :wub: 

that was so sweet!! :wub: I love  seeing them being friends even after the drama's ending!! :wub:

2 hours ago, hazeljrr_c922 said:

:heart::thumbsup:

48 minutes ago, Carmarie said:

I thought about it and I think the princess is the king's daughter.  Normally siblings with the same mother do not marry.  Usually when siblings marry they have the same father, but not the same mother.  Remember SMJ is the former king's nephew, which means he did not have any sons to ascend to the throne.  Another theory: since the princess was a "Park", the queen might have adopted her as her daughter.  Earlier in Silla's history, the Parks and the Kims used to take terms on the throne.  Their two families were considered "true bone."

it's said in the character's chart that Meak Jong and the Princess are siblings from the same mother!! 

one of my favorite moments!! :wub: 

cr: hwarangofficial

I love how Sun Woo wanted to keep Soo Ho and the rest from getting into the fight because of him, for him those assassins are after him thinking he's the King which is a danger he agreed to face but doesn't want them getting into that danger zone! but they won't listen to him and they are there for him helping him and protecting him as a friend before being the King!! :wub: 

I normally have issues with the Korean film-as-you-air schedule for dramas.  However, in the case of this drama, I wish they could change things with the plot.  Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy watching this, but mainly more because I want to see the end.  The thing is, they focus so much on Sunwoo-Aro, and I just don't find them very compelling.  That being the case, I find myself more and more finding things to nitpick about.

For example, Sunwoo's hair.  Am I the only one who finds it ridiculous that Sunwoo is the only person to wear a full lion's mane on official outings?  Shouldn't he be in the full Hwarang uniform, including how his hair is styled?  Am I also the only one who thinks he makes a more aesthetically pleasing appearance when his hair is up?  His lion's mane is unkempt, so not practical for fighting, and makes him look like the half-blood lowborn who grew up in poverty that everyone makes fun of him for.

Second, can we please stop seeing that same close-up shot of Sunwoo's mouth as he yells that he's the king of Silla?  I put up with it in Episode 15 because it was a big turning point.  However, it wasn't really THAT big that it needed to be replayed, over, and over, and over, and over.  And then, when I finally think it's over, they show it 2 more times in Episode 16.  Please!  My eyes and ears are begging for an end to that scene.  Aside from the visual, the other reason the constant replay of that scene bothers me is because it's something that I would expect from normal air-as-you-film dramas--actors, writers, and staff are overworked and tired as the drama nears an end and they don't have as much material so they continue to use and reuse "filler" material.  What's the excuse in this drama?  They weren't up against some crazy schedule where the editor was editing the episode 5 minutes before it aired.  Couldn't they find other material?  And perhaps it would have been effective to show it just a couple times.  But the constant downplay took away the impact for me.

Third, I just don't really care about Sunwoo and Aro's relationship.  The two actors are very awkward together.  Also, for me, the draw of this show is the bromance, or what I expected to be some bromance.  This is supposed to be about the Hwarang.  Instead, it's about Sunwoo and Aro playing footsies.  It's not written well, it's not acted well, and therefore, there's no relevancy to it.  There is so much that needs to happen still in this drama--Jidwi gaining the confidence to ascend to the throne, Minister Park's downfall, Banryu's internal conflict.  Why not focus on these instead of showing us a supposed "love story" that has no relevance.  Quite honestly, if the writer had instead made the scenes between Sunwoo and Aro more platonic and about how the two try to live as brother-sister (Sunwoo in memory of his friend and Aro in memory of her brother who was forced to live a lowborn life), maybe something like that, then I would find this more compelling.  Instead, all we see is awkward Sunwoo and pouting Aro.  Enough.

And I keep asking myself why someone doesn't just kill Minister Park?  The Korean royal court was never shy about offing rivals and Jidwi has been in hiding for most of his life out of fear of assassins.  So I doubt that anyone would think twice if Minister Park were to be found dead one morning.

Hoping next week will focus more on Jidwi and Banryu, as well as Danse and Hansung, and even Suho.  Otherwise, they should just change the name of this drama to Sunwoo and Aro.

DRAMA RECAPS
Hwarang: Episode 16
by LollyPip | February 8, 2017 | 31 Comments

Hwarang16-00021a.jpg

As the political strife gains momentum, things are starting to spin out of Sun-woo and Ji-dwi’s control. When everyone’s wants begin to clash, they realize that they no longer have the luxury of planning their futures, and that it’s time to grow up. They will each have to make a decision that will change not only the course of their lives, but the future of Silla as well.

28_hwarang1.jpg

EPISODE 16 RECAP

read here: http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/02/hwarang-episode-16/

1 hour ago, jechoi1 said:

I normally have issues with the Korean film-as-you-air schedule for dramas.  However, in the case of this drama, I wish they could change things with the plot.  Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy watching this, but mainly more because I want to see the end.  The thing is, they focus so much on Sunwoo-Aro, and I just don't find them very compelling.  That being the case, I find myself more and more finding things to nitpick about.

For example, Sunwoo's hair.  Am I the only one who finds it ridiculous that Sunwoo is the only person to wear a full lion's mane on official outings?  Shouldn't he be in the full Hwarang uniform, including how his hair is styled?  Am I also the only one who thinks he makes a more aesthetically pleasing appearance when his hair is up?  His lion's mane is unkempt, so not practical for fighting, and makes him look like the half-blood lowborn who grew up in poverty that everyone makes fun of him for.

Second, can we please stop seeing that same close-up shot of Sunwoo's mouth as he yells that he's the king of Silla?  I put up with it in Episode 15 because it was a big turning point.  However, it wasn't really THAT big that it needed to be replayed, over, and over, and over, and over.  And then, when I finally think it's over, they show it 2 more times in Episode 16.  Please!  My eyes and ears are begging for an end to that scene.  Aside from the visual, the other reason the constant replay of that scene bothers me is because it's something that I would expect from normal air-as-you-film dramas--actors, writers, and staff are overworked and tired as the drama nears an end and they don't have as much material so they continue to use and reuse "filler" material.  What's the excuse in this drama?  They weren't up against some crazy schedule where the editor was editing the episode 5 minutes before it aired.  Couldn't they find other material?  And perhaps it would have been effective to show it just a couple times.  But the constant downplay took away the impact for me.

Third, I just don't really care about Sunwoo and Aro's relationship.  The two actors are very awkward together.  Also, for me, the draw of this show is the bromance, or what I expected to be some bromance.  This is supposed to be about the Hwarang.  Instead, it's about Sunwoo and Aro playing footsies.  It's not written well, it's not acted well, and therefore, there's no relevancy to it.  There is so much that needs to happen still in this drama--Jidwi gaining the confidence to ascend to the throne, Minister Park's downfall, Banryu's internal conflict.  Why not focus on these instead of showing us a supposed "love story" that has no relevance.  Quite honestly, if the writer had instead made the scenes between Sunwoo and Aro more platonic and about how the two try to live as brother-sister (Sunwoo in memory of his friend and Aro in memory of her brother who was forced to live a lowborn life), maybe something like that, then I would find this more compelling.  Instead, all we see is awkward Sunwoo and pouting Aro.  Enough.

And I keep asking myself why someone doesn't just kill Minister Park?  The Korean royal court was never shy about offing rivals and Jidwi has been in hiding for most of his life out of fear of assassins.  So I doubt that anyone would think twice if Minister Park were to be found dead one morning.

Hoping next week will focus more on Jidwi and Banryu, as well as Danse and Hansung, and even Suho.  Otherwise, they should just change the name of this drama to Sunwoo and Aro.

I would have understand if he was a leader or something but right now it's kind of weird how he stands out from everyone because of his hair and no headband.

Saying it for the millionth time, there is absolutely NO CHEMISTRY between them, I skip ALL of their parts (that means half of the episode argh) no offense to anyone :wub: The love triangle is so messed up, the writer wrote a scenario and put it in a loop that's it. I wanted more of the character development , bromance (duh! isn't it because we started watching this damn drama in the first place?) Every character is so confusing right now. The only character I felt like is better written among all was banryu and ep 16 showed me that I shouldn't have ANY expectations from the writer .

Tbh there should be whole two episodes on Jidwi and Banryu I'm so frustrated because the drama is going no where there are only 4 episodes left with SO MANY mysteries to solve and everything is becoming more confusing -_- 

1 hour ago, sakura2016 said:

I loved that moment!! I can see Soo Ho protecting Sun Woo and seeing him as his friend not the King at that moment!! yes he thinks he's the King and knows that the assassins are after him as the King but he acted as the friend not the subject or the bodygard to protect him!! :wub:

I though of exactly the same thing!!! It was heart warming to see that Soo Hoo actually cares for Dog-bird and not only feels compelled to protect him as the king to please the evil Queen , Yeo wool and Dan se were amazing in that scene too :wub:, speaking of wich, can we take a few seconds to appreciate the greatness of this man? :

5gha.png

I just love him, he's definitely not getting enough screen time.

I have no idea what he's saying other than dates and Hwarang :lol: but I love seeing him and hering his voice!! :wub: 

cr:  chikacchi_sj

:wub: 

cr:  k_drama_kpop1110

this is the very 1st look they were going with before changing it to what we know!! :wub: 

Spoiler

cr:  park_sj2013

@nassyra yes!! I'm always "don't speak in formal speach with him!!" and I get happy when he fails to keep the formal speach and get back to speak in banmal hhhhh :wub: and when he called him by his nickname and told Yeo Woo to protect "Sun Woo" made me so happy because he cared for his friend not the King and the same thing for Yeo Wool and Dan Se!! :wub: and yes they were great too and I loved Dan Se from the 1st time he made Han Sung sign to join the Hwarang and I'm happy that we saw more of him since then!! he's a good brother and I love his interaction with Sun Woo and Pa Oh!! :wub: 

4 hours ago, Carmarie said:

I am not agreeing or disagreeing with your statement, I am only saying that being uncouth does not mean that you don't know how to bring it on.  No fault of the actors, the pairing was not right.  Those things happen.  I do not know if this drama was pre-produced or produced as the series ran.  If this drama was produced while the series ran, the writer should have made some adjustments to the script and taken much of the romance out.  

I would have preferred it, if they had to have a triangle (which I am not a fan of) have one between SMJ, AR and the princess. or MM, the princess and SMJ. Perhaps AR would have been better if she was paired with one of the other leading Hwarang.   

I agree with you.  The pairing is off. :) 

6 hours ago, hazeljrr_c922 said:

Yes, I am really looking forward to the bromance.  I wish they will spend more time with the resolution of their conflict rather than the romance in the last 4 episodes.  

Archived