[Drama 2016-2017] Hwarang 화랑

Seiran029

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh my gosh, I just finished Episode 1 with English subtitles and this drama has got me sold to watch it (I mean I was going to watch it anyways but Episode 1 made me like it even more). We only got 4 of our Hwarangs today so based on the preview, we'll definitely get the last two tomorrow! But oh man, this episode was perfect. I love how each character is introduced and I like how Park Seo Joon's character is the type of person that cannot stand to see his friend or the innocent get hurt in any sort of way. This was evident when he protected his friends two times, once in the beginning and the last time when the Noble was beating his friend up. I already like his character and his past is still a bit mysterious, but I'm excited to see his character development and learn more about him.

Also Kwang Soo, haha. I feel like his characters have some humorous side to it but his character definitely has a story behind it as well. I was so shocked when he recognized his necklace on Aro so maybe they're brother and sisters?? Based on how the drama was hinting it, it seems like they are... I guess we just have to keep on watching and wait and see.

And then Park Hyung Shik~ Ahhh, he just looks so beautiful in this episode and I'm so happy to see him back on-screen in dramas. I admit that almost every time he came on screen I giggled and squealed like a fangirl but OMG when he just busted into the room where Aro was, I exploded. That scene though, oh my... I feel like I'm really going to like him in this drama but his character does have that mysteriousness to it as well. We obviously saw that he was appointed King when he was young since his father passed away when he was so young but it seems like the Queen hid him away and stayed in power, and obviously she does not want to give her spot because she practically has the most power and the throne at the moment. It's interesting to see that the Queen is still hiding Maek Jong and she doesn't want to reveal to the world yet, or maybe even never. I feel like SMJ feels like having that sense of duty to lead the nation but he's so powerless since we was pretty much sent away in hiding when he was young. At the same time, he has that part of him where he's just any normal citizen of the country, like how doesn't accept the Queen killing the assassin since he was just a regular man doing dirty work to gain money. I don't know how to quite explain my thoughts about him haha. It's still too early to say exactly what every single character is like in the drama but this is just my thoughts watching the first episode ^^

Overall, I personally loved the episode and I'm really starting to like Park Seo Joon's character more and more. I can't wait to see him fall in love with Aro and not quite know how to express himself haha (This is what Park Seo Joon said about his character, how Aro is the first woman he loves and he doesn't know how to express himself so it turns into him joking around and teasing her). I'm super excited to see all the character's train to become Hwarang because that's when we'll really get the bromance and the story will really start to pick up. Also I like the music choice for the drama and the small sound effects that are put in! The new OST sounds great and I think it really mixes in with scenes (well this is just all my opinon~). I can't wait till Episode 2 comes out ^^

I enjoyed ep 1, but it had its faults. The scenes were too jumbled and unorganized for me. I mean lately it feels like a lot of dramas are like that, but this fact really stood out to me. It may be because the writer just had too many ideas and too many characters to introduce. Part of it may also be the editing of the music. All the bg music fit their scenes, and I liked them (they made all the scenes more fun to watch), but the editing seemed abrupt.

A-Ro's character also felt a little over the top at times, especially when she was telling stories. I get that she's supposed to be entertaining, but sometimes it was just a bit too much. I don't know if this is because of Go Ara's acting or the directing or what. I still like her though! A-Ro's scenes with both lead guys were fun. She's also a cute drunk. :)

Moo Myung also gave me a little trouble as far as first impressions. I couldn't figure out if he was supposed to be comical (with his friend--okay I love Kwang Soo!!) or cool and serious. Of course, characters can be both and "deep" when done well. Hopefully these two sides of Moo Myung will be better intertwined in the later episodes. I lurrrve Park Seo Joon though. His serious scenes (like the end) are glorious. 

So far, the most interesting character seems to be the king/Park Hyung Sik, although he's an enigma too. All the guys are so good looking. Holy moly. I can tell Soo Ho and Ban Ryu's dynamics are gonna be my jam. The queen is also beautiful, like seriously. I like her already. 

I hope my opinions don't offend anyone! Because I definitely really, really did enjoy the first episode!! It was extremely fun to watch. 

"Hwarang" The connection between Park Seo-joon, Hyung Sik and Ko Ah-ra

Spoiler

photo797565.jpg

The strange connection between Park Seo-joon, Hyung Sik and Ko Ah-ra finally started.

The story of Gae-sae (Moo-myeong / Park Seo-joon) was told on the first episode of the KBS 2TV drama "Hwarang" on the 19th.

Moo-myeong and Mak-moon (Lee Gwang-soo) decided to cross the forbidden castle and head to Wang-kyeong (Seoul) to find Mak-moon's father and sister. They risked their lives in crossing the forbidden castle and succeeded but they were soon chased by the guards.

Storyteller Aro (Ko Ah-ra) drank a whole keg of liquor to take revenge on a merchant who wouldn't pay her what he owed. Then she walked around the market drunk and was about to get into an accident. Moo-myeong saved her and this is how they first met.

Sam Mek-jong (Hyung Sik) was barely avoiding royal threat. He wasn't on good terms with Ji-so (Kim Ji-soo) who was trying to protect him and she said, "I decide the day you are shown into the world".

Mak-moon was still in trouble. He was almost killed for having seen Sam Mek-jong's face and was beaten up by aristocrats for going into Wang-kyeong without a pass. Every time Mak-moon was in danger, Moo-myeong appeared to help him. He said, "I think life is about luck, but I am not having a lucky day today".

"Hwarang" is based on the Hwarangs during the Shilla times 1,500 years ago. The drama revolves around the Hwarang, their passion, love and friendship.

The characters were introduced one by one on the first episode. Ban-ryu (Do Ji-han) and Soo-ho (Choi Min-ho) also seemed to be in conflict with each other.

Park Seo-joon's performance as Moo-myeong was impressive as he provided comic, action and romance at the same time.

3 hours ago, ferily said:

It's nice to see that Hwarang took 2nd :) Hopefully the ratings will continue to improve ^^ Seems like Romantic Doctor is dominating this time slow though.

"Hwarang" starts off in 2nd place

Spoiler

photo797559.jpg

"Hwarang" started off in 2nd place.

According to Nielsen Korea, the first episode of the KBS 2TV drama "Hwarang" rated 6.9%.

This is 2.9% higher than the final episode of "The Man In My House". Will KBS be able to revive thanks to "Hwarang"?

The ninth episode of MBC "Night Light" rated 3.8% which is 1.4% less than the previous episode and SBS "Romantic Doctor Teacher Kim" came in first with 23.8%.

I just finished watching the pilot, and I have to agree, the editing seems choppy and messy...like, the director wanted to tell many things, but it's limited because of duration per episode. I still think it's pretty fun though, it's the first episode after all, it might get better later. Park Seo Joon looked good with his long hair, so I can't relate when he said he looked ridiculous with long hair, ahhaaah! I find Park Hyung Shik's long hair more distracting, since he looked really pretty, ehehhee...

So far, I love Park Seo Joon's character, Moo Myung. I'm curious why he fell down when he's going to fight the thugs at the beginning, does he have some kind of health condition or he's just hungry? :w00t: I find his friend annoying though (but I love Kwang Soo!!), he's 'useless'. I hope the writer gave him and Moo Myung some background story as why the bros are together.

Ah-ro is interesting. I assumed she's some kind of broke artist from the trailer (I watched them unsubbed), but she's a broke, erotic story-teller, oh my goodnessssss....hahaha...but I like drunk!Ah-ro, she's bolder when she's drunk. :) 

Sam Maek-jong is the stood out character indeed. In the pilot, he has the strongest character background. I can't imagine living isolated, an invisible, yet, your face is known to the public. Her mother, the Queen didn't age though, daaaang, she's so beautiful! Somehow I'm not too convinced that her mother is trying to protect him, but somehow I do...I think the Queen will be the morally grey character? Ahha, we'll see.

I enjoy Suho and Banryu's banter, what made them hate each other so much, I'm eager to find out the answer! I hope they get more spotlight and better character story-telling too.

And oooh I find this on twitter, interesting...so it will be posted simultaneously with the drama?

I try to stay objective as much as I can so i dont get too carried away, that has failed miserably on more than one occasion.  But i accidentally stumbled across the OST for Hwarang with BTS V & Jin and sure while i do love BTS, i still attempt to stay objective on them as well.  (so cant they are always so funny, upbeat and adorable to watch, all of them are).

But that OST is just gripping to listen to, its so smooth and suits there voices and the hwarang clips as well.  Cant wait now to see how the show goes.

Just watched episode 1 with subtitle. I don't know how I feel about this drama yet because it was just one episode, but I'm gonna give it a try for next episode because of Park Seo joon :heart:. For the first episode, to be honest, the standout character for me was Kwangsoo's character. Haha he was just funny in his own way. I just wish he could be more than just a cameo. His character and Park Seo Joon character really compliment each other as like in high level bromance. I'm really looking forward for 2nd episode to see how the story unfolds for each characters and hopefully it will meet everyone's expectation for this drama.

And Go Ara is really beautiful. :blush:

Hi Everyone, Thanks for the video clips stills and news articles.. I must admit I have yet to watch the first episode waiting for 2 to come out and subbed but I enjoyed reading what most of you have posted.. So happy watching live for some reasons todays Kbs2 has me block out and I'll catch up with you guys later in the day..

Annyeong chingu deul

OMG :tears: I cried so much when Mak Mun (LKS) was dying. Moo Myung (PSJ) were best buddies with Mak Mun. The saddest part was that finally Mak Mun's dad found him but he died. Ah Ro is Mak Mun's sister but I don't think they are blood related. Ah Ro is the little princess. Was it a princess with the Queen in Ep1? I have not rewatchd Ep1 with subs.

Mak Mun's dad buried him and rescued Moo Myung to his house to nurse his wounds. When he recovered, he was still staying there trying to seek revenge on Mak Mun's death. Ah Ro even took food to him without realizing who was he.

Oh yes, earlier at the parlor, the Prince forced Ah Ro to tell him stories till he fall asleep. Then he dreamed about his mum and woke up. He found Ah Ro sleeping on the floor snoring away.

Errrr I'm mistaken about Ah Ro being a princess, after thinking much about it, she can't be because she's in a love triangle with the prince.

I hoped that Son Woo (Kwang Soo)'s cameo will end on a happy note thogh it was obvious that it wan't be but they made sure to make me cry and cry and cry for over his death all along this episode!! WHY?!! why do I end up with dramas that makes me cry even when we'rre still at it's start?!! we didn't see much of him but we can see how good friends he and Moo Myung was that both of them didn't give up on the other in order to protect their lives!! :bawling: how he used his blood to make to cover Moo Myung's face with it telling him to stop moving to look as if he died and Moo Myung carrying him dispite his ingery was too heartbreaking!! and to top it he finally met his father while giving his last breaths!! :heartbreak: I was happy that at least he saw his father before dying but that's too cruel too and I was crying my eyes out with his father and Moo Myung!! :bawling: 

cr: owner

how they helded hands and Son Woo said "Father came" then died!! :bawling: 

we had the 1st face off between our male leads which is good thing or was it a bad thing giving the circumstances (but poor Ah Ro got trapped in the middle) and I hope Moo Myung will realise soon that the Sam Maek Jong wasn't the one who killed his friend, though he was there and he did nothing to help so he can still blame him but it's different somehow!! 

all in all I loved this episode too and I'm waiting for the subs!! :wub: 

43 minutes ago, MiAmour said:

Hwarang Drama New Poster :wub:

THAT'S A GOOD POSTER TO LOOK AT/SPEAK OF!! :wub: the 1st poster was too much flowry for me!!

PS: was it only me or did anyone else have a trouble using his soompi account?!! :blink: 

10 hours ago, ferily said:

Ratings:

Spoiler

Romantic Doctor

22.6% Nielsen

19.7% TNMS

Hwarang

6.9% Nielsen

7.9 TNMS

Night Light

3.8% Nielsen

4.1% TNMS

It's nice to see that Hwarang took 2nd :) Hopefully the ratings will continue to improve ^^ Seems like Romantic Doctor is dominating this time slow though.

I think it's a good rating especially that it have Romantic Doctor as its competitor in the same timeslot which is dominating the rating!! I'm happy of it and hope it keeps in increasing!! :D

53 minutes ago, alekaonu said:

Annyeong chingu deul

OMG :tears: I cried so much when Mak Mun (LKS) was dying. Moo Myung (PSJ) were best buddies with Mak Mun. The saddest part was that finally Mak Mun's dad found him but he died. Ah Ro is Mak Mun's sister but I don't think they are blood related. Ah Ro is the little princess. Was it a princess with the Queen in Ep1? I have not rewatchd Ep1 with subs.

Mak Mun's dad buried him and rescued Moo Myung to his house to nurse his wounds. When he recovered, he was still staying there trying to seek revenge on Mak Mun's death. Ah Ro even took food to him without realizing who was he.

Oh yes, earlier at the parlor, the Prince forced Ah Ro to tell him stories till he fall asleep. Then he dreamed about his mum and woke up. He found Ah Ro sleeping on the floor snoring away.

Errrr I'm mistaken about Ah Ro being a princess, after thinking much about it, she can't be because she's in a love triangle with the prince.

I remember Son Woo told Moo Myung that the capital is were he lived for a short time with mother, father and sister!! that's what I remember but have to make sure!! 

hhhhhhhh I laughed when he found her snoring while grabbing the candles handle in her hand and said that he's scared of her!! :lol: 

cr:  ferlidrieta

cr:  hwarang.kbs

I wanted his cameo to be in happy note but it ended in a heartwrenching way!! :heartbreak: 

Hwarang episode 2 youtube videos: :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rzq2Jtnx4Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuUf0E7yjCU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI7Csr-hqW0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYll1n4FZug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEfAF2JURR8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiOadOxe0Qo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFpu_YeEF7w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6YXRCSTZjk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXzwwdlFwHI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ6hqH6E78w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_QGP2DRtlE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hprxlQHoKYM

now I want to know what's wrong with Moo Myung?!! I didn't want to give his 1st fainting moment any importance but it's not allowing me to ignore it any more!! if this is a repeated fainting spell then it would be really bad and how is he supposed to be a worrier when he can end up powerless for some time without any alrming symptoms beforehand?!! 

and I want him to kill that man who killed his friend!! what's wrong with that man?!! he's following that Queen's orders blindly add to it he almost killed Moo Myung only because he looked like Son Woo or was sith him?!! really?!! :rage: 

Archived