Quantcast

@nearsea. @shooastrid.  I only believe in Taek's character, he is the one who converted this ship into submarine so we are all still can live without him being end game. But I'm not sure that if it was a good thing that writer hasn't given the chance to Deok Sun at least consider  whether her feelings for Taek was friendship or more, if not her feelings supposed to be unchanging for Junghwan but we really don't know about it till time jump too hence we could all see the reason why JH was chosen over Taek :/ I checked R97 and time jump also had happened four episodes before final and heroine wasn't  aware of YJ's feeling till just before time jump... What am I supposed to think? Let's hope they will make sure whom Deok Sun will pursue at this point on. It's all good Taek not being husband , he can't be described in a one word as 'husband' anyways and I will ship him with others. No doubt he is the most shippable creature out there, still I will be sad that I've failed to analyze heroine's character this time TT TT 

• Like 9

@mellinadear But I was kind of surprised that gf herself used that min-like picture  of taek which is storming the main thread...can't believe people are actually accusing taek for that look....Only if it was kim soo hyun,girls would be swooning over that gaze left and right =/.

• Like 3

Lol. Had to repost this from the main thread. Sorry am so obsessed with them dolls today guys.

1 hour ago, Thelava Angel said:

im watching old episode of infinity challenge and look what i found! XD Screenshot%2B%252854%2529.png

• Like 5

@shooastrid Thanks for the insight on Baduk and its influence in Taek's characterization. 

I come late to 1988. I did a 14 episode binge-watching and the way Taek is introduced, presented, and laid out screamed "sit up and pay attention!" He is constantly present even when he is away off screen (we get TV and radio broadcast, conversations, et al) that I'd be extremely surprised if he is not the endgame.

Taek, as a character, is a gift to the discerning eyes.  

• Like 7

@onlysb1  

There have been so many upsetting ending this year in drama land that I am not even expecting much this time honestly.But then gf sed this on the review...

Spoiler

I actually really appreciate that the husband-hunting isn’t made into a big deal in Answer Me 1988 (and am greatly relieved, in fact), but I think there’s a lot that can happen character-wise that doesn’t have to make me feel like the plot was at a standstill.

And then there is this comment which stayed with me: 

Spoiler

Less husband hunting shouldn’t mean less development or a standstill of situation of emotions. I might just be beyond frustration and just am bored now. I notice the episode length for all the bad reasons. There is no more fired up excitement; it is more like a constant malaise of obligatory sertlement to see this story through. Be competitive Taek in love if that instills some action to this hamster wheel of first crush hem hawing

I am also okay with taek not being deok sun's soul mate.But only at the sake of the  reason being worth it..Only if the reason not being the simple fact that 'boy likes girl' because they had this 'moment' in the alley or at the bus,and that there is nothing deeper behind it.There is nothing in the conclusion that just because Deok sun had this fling like feeling for JH and that made taek not going ahead with his pursuit of love.In that case we would never know the possibilities  of what could become,except we would be left with the characters with lots of potentials stuck at a standstill. I definitely would not want that yeah.I would want a little bit more than 'the boy likes girl part'.

On a side note ssl has more swoon worthy moments than reply,so anyone who'd have a heartache after tonight's episode,can take a look lol.

• Like 3

Ok, it seems that I'm one of the few who doesn't want Taekie to end up fighting with JH because they both like the same girl. Wae? you ask? Well, simple. Because they're friends, since childhood. I also do not think T would want to fight over a girl with his best friend. No. Just no way. That shall not happen.

as much as I ship T&DS, I still ship T&JH friendship more. Don't ruin that writer-nims. Both of the guys can't have the girl, that's for sure. It's gonna be the one that DS has feelings for. I just wish the girl would figure out sooner, for real! it's just taking toooo long! And if the drama ends up with JH-DS (which I think it will...and I hope I'm very wrong) can't help that then. I'm sure Taekie will find someone much better than DS who couldn't see his true feelings, the one who always loved her. sigh :sweatingbullets:  Well, we still have a few episodes and I hope DS will realize how crazily in love with Taekie she is! ahahah :w00t:

...anticipating for tonights episode. :crazy:

laters!B)

• Like 5

Guest gerimisore

Hello everyone!

So, I didn't watch the raw, I didn't read the live recaps, but I did watch some of the Youtube clips and read most of your comments. I just want to come out of my lurker mode and comment on that particular scene when Taek leans his head on DS's shoulder and -as some people casually assumed- ignored the fact that his girl is actually crying. OMG!OMG!OMG! How can he, right? Pffft :|

Such a jerk. Very heartless. Wow. *insert doge meme* /s

But let me review Taek's position first.

We've been discussing Taek's role in R1988 quite often and still we can't quite grasp where to put him. He IS that unique. He is that unconventional. Now, if we just nonchalantly put him in the "2nd lead" position, based on the screen time or how late he entered the love triangle game, we'll then just devalued the writer's effort in writing Taek's impressive character development. And besides that, he also carries the "main" task of starting this whole love triangle thingy (his confession is the "switch  on" and his revelation of Junghwan's feeling will probably lead to how to end this messiness). He is basically the core of this whole fiasco. Someone even said he holds the key to end it (although, IMO, it's still up to DS). His next move will determine whether we're going to see a progress or a standstill. A 2nd lead? Really? With that kind of role? Taek also proves us from time to time that he has a life outside of his love story. He's not your usual "2nd lead" who spends the day blindly chasing the girl around like nothing else matters. No. He loves Deoksun, but it doesn't mean he will abandon baduk. He loves Deoksun, but it doesn't mean he will give up his baduk practice and choose to spend the time with his crush. At this point, it's kinda hard to put him in the 2nd lead position. But then again, he's not the 1st lead material either.

He's rich, genius, handsome, popular (major YES to all of them), but he's clumsy, he's not always present, he doesn't put up heroic acts towards the heroine, like protecting her in the bus or lending her an umbrella. Considering how many swoony and impossibly perfect 1st male leads in the K-dramas, Taek falls short in so many ways. It doesn't surprise me that his actions can't easily be understood by some watchers or his character doesn't impressed many female audiences. Because he's not that swoony. Because he still possesses some normal human traits despite falling for the female lead. He can forget, he prioritise other things, he can be unaware of his crush's tears, but THAT'S EXACTLY what I like about Taek character. His realness. His human traits.

You see, when a male character falls for the female lead, the audience expects him to devote his time and attention to the girl ALL THE TIME. Because, that's what we usually see in K-drama. it's like the world suddenly revolves around her. The male character needs to go above and beyond to protect the heroine and makes her feel needed. And as a female audience myself, I guiltily love seeing that. In fact, that's probably one of the reasons why so many women like watching K-drama. The impractical romantic gestures.

In Taek's case (I specifically highlighted the recent scene of him leaning his head on DS's shoulder), I can actually see why so many people disappointed in him. Some say that he doesn't love her enough, he doesn't understand her feeling, he only needs DS to fulfill his own need, or some even said they aren't meant to be just based on that scene alone (I was like, wth??). But, IMHO, some people actually missed some points here.

Based on the K-drama trope that I mentioned above, what people expect from Taek is for him to suddenly alert that his crush is crying, perhaps followed by his wiping-the-tears gesture and listen to her problem in spite of feeling extremely exhausted or sleepy. Because that's what 'a male character who is in love with the female lead' USUALLY does. Pouring all of his love no matter what happened. Always know if something is wrong with his love interest. But Taek isn't like that.

Realistically speaking, being so drained and all, what Taek wants at that moment is prolly just go back home, take a bath and sleep. But no. He actually stops and notices DS is sitting alone, asks her "what happened?" and answers her questions. He can barely open his eyes so I wonder if he notices the trails of tears on her face, but still the point is; he tries to come to her despite feeling super weary and sleepy. But of course, for a K-drama character, it's not sweet enough. Thus my earlier apprehension towards some people disappointments. Although it's not fair to say that he doesn't love her just because he's too sleepy to notice she's crying.

What Taek does is actually very realistic (which is also the reason why I like him so much), he's not all cheesy, and also he's not a character who's known by his grand heroic gestures. Taek's appeal is his way of showing his love in a mundane way. In fact, every time I expect Taek to do something sweet, he does it not in a way that K-drama usually planned for their male characters (for example; the flasher scene). But realism and K-drama is not a pair that you usually witness thus making Taek a little bit of an anomaly, because he looks like a breed from the two; a K-drama character that possesses a tinge of realism.

I mean, in my case, it's normal to be unaware of your crush's teary face when you can't even fully open your eyes. Actually, if I were Taek, in that condition, I'd probably just say hi, go home, and sleep. But in K-dramasphere, a little gesture like Taek did is very unappreciated because it's not grand or swoony enough. "How come you lean on her shoulder? You should be the one who makes her feel better!" Yeah, because the male characters in K-drama can't appear frail and always in position to protect the girl. It can't be  the other way around, right?

in fact, I see their little interaction as something very sweet and delicate. Like the two very weary souls who meet at the end of a very tiring day and, despite feeling unwell themselves, they ask the other party condition first. It's very soulmate-y. It's like the kind of thing that married couple has. There is just some very strong and unspeakable bond between them that I can't exactly pinpoint. It's beautiful in a lot of ways. Or perhaps my kind of romance is a little bit too simple.

OMG!!!!!

I don't know what I'm saying \(x__x)/ I'm so sorry if it's very confusing to read. I just typed what I have in mind T__T

Can't wait for today's episode! My heart actually broke a little when Taek knows about JH's feeling. But I'm happy our boy handles it well.

I'm so proud of you, Taekie! Being the husband or not, you deserve happiness!!! We're always here for you no matter what! <3

wow what insightful post @shooastrid thank you for sharing!!! The strength in TK's character is what has lead to see beyond the trope of the 2nd lead and ur comments support that.

who is live watching/recapping?

• Like 2

omooo! @sarsu we meet again! You ship Taek & Deok sun also?? :lol::lol::lol:

Please please please make an mv for our Taek & Deok Sun ah?? I love your videos so much! haha

Taek & DS ftw! Ship them till the end. fighting!!!

tumblr_lw44o5eHuQ1qzlaai.gif

• Like 5

Go for it Taek it's okay if you are not the one for Deok Sun still you're the strongest soul we all waited for just don't  forget to bring  banana to us, okay?

wzSzMcbzgBMZU21-QCn27yOqOXCAwfEaZX7xgGdN 

8TUYmJzhvcoKG8XfZ1o6hWz-YsiQL-jTW407ETEo

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, gerimisore said:

he's not a character who's known by his grand heroic gestures.

OMG. So many golden nuggets in your analysis. I wanted to point out how you're so right about the grand heroic gestures. And yet, it also seems like he does those grand heroic gestures. But he's saved them more so for friends and family - or even more accurately, for moments when the situation really calls for his help or intervention. He's got a spectrum of responses - from being nonchalant to being wholeheartedly available, but I think that depends on the situation. He's not transfixed on his beloved in a way that makes her the centre of his universe, and he has the perspective to see into the magnitude of the situation before responding. *more cheers for Taekie!*

And this in quite a funny way contradicts what he says about the nature of his attraction to DS. When he says I might die without her, in my head, I keep thinking, you'll be just fine, my boy. Your way of loving is so mature and tempered and slow and steady and stable that it cannot be uprooted or destabilise your life just because she's not around. She's very significant to you, yes, but you've also saved yourself for friends and family, and will put aside your tragedy (if it happens) to be there for others when they need it. *ruffles Taekie's hair*

• Like 7

Guest aoikarin

Sorry guys, can't online and do the recap.. however.. i saw the Spoiler on the DC.. and really sad if it's true.

My opinion:

Spoiler

1. The career: The writer told us that DS will become flight attendance.. and in my opinion it might be true, since we saw her stewardess poster in her room and I think it's one of her dream to pursue. And aspeculation about JH will be a doctor might also be true since their family always back and fro to hospital .. and  About they will meet again somewhere in 1994/1997 is actually will be  counted as "a couple of decades" since DS met her husband.

2. DS and JH will escape to an island  :The poster of Blue Lagoon is actually a clue for loveline JH and DS. Blue lagoon is an old movie about 2 children (cousins or siblings) got stranded in an island while their parents died. They spent their time together and when they reached adulthood, they attract sexually to each other.. so the movie is a semi blue movie with lots of kisses and sex scenes. I remember, there's news that some of the cast of reply will finish up their shooting in an island somewhere in Thailand??? (correct me if i wrong).

One of Reply series's strength other than warm hearting story, but they are also famous for a very sensual and steamy lover scenes. I think this time, the writer take lusty love line for DS and JH (just like Blue lagoon) instead of take a pure and comfortable first love story of Taek and DS. Personally, I saw lots of sexual tension between JH and DS in the beginning of the episode.. so i confirmed that their love is a lusty one, full of chemistry and yes, at the end it's not only physical.. but lusty love blooms to a real love. While, I can't really imagine Taek is having steamy lusty love with Duk Sun.. Their love is too pure, it's so unconditional and too beautiful to mix with steamy kiss and sexy scene.

I visited both shipping.. both have different topic to talk about.. JH-DS lines.. people demanding steamy kisses, bed scene for the DS&JH .. while here,  we really appreciate how beautiful, pure and mature the relationship between DS and Taek.. Sorry i'm not good explaining in English.. but once you visit the ship, you'll know the difference nuance between two ships.

3. It's true that writer nim really appreciate the real lee chang ho.. i think they will write Taek just like him as now.. so Taek will get a young, smart bride for him

4. The memory episode: PDnim has given us the clue about the background song on the beach scene.. It's beautiful moment and will be precious moment for Taek

I'm sorry to write this post in this ship.. but this is only my opinion.. and i know that I can't share it to anywhere since my heart is with Taek since beginning. Anyway, eventhough Taek ship will end up Taektanic.. I still appreciate the writer created Taek's character and write him beautifully.

Guest tanjam
1 hour ago, nearsea said:

@mellinadear But I was kind of surprised that gf herself used that min-like picture  of taek which is storming the main thread...can't believe people are actually accusing taek for that look....Only if it was kim soo hyun,girls would be swooning over that gaze left and right =/.

And how to react in that kind of situation???He is a calm person. Sometimes I also like to act like a child in front of my friends and family. Because it's my safe place. But they all now how I have hard job and always was mature before others and had hard life. In situations like this I also prefer not to jump but to stop and think twice... 

9 minutes ago, aoikarin said:

Sorry guys, can't online and do the recap.. however.. i saw the Spoiler on the DC.. and really sad if it's true.

My opinion:

Reveal hidden contents

1. The career: The writer told us that DS will become flight attendance.. and in my opinion it might be true, since we saw her stewardess poster in her room and I think it's one of her dream to pursue. And aspeculation about JH will be a doctor might also be true since their family always back and fro to hospital .. and  About they will meet again somewhere in 1994/1997 is actually will be  counted as "a couple of decades" since DS met her husband.

2. DS and JH will escape to an island  :The poster of Blue Lagoon is actually a clue for loveline JH and DS. Blue lagoon is an old movie about 2 children (cousins or siblings) got stranded in an island while their parents died. They spent their time together and when they reached adulthood, they attract sexually to each other.. so the movie is a semi blue movie with lots of kisses and sex scenes. I remember, there's news that some of the cast of reply will finish up their shooting in an island somewhere in Thailand??? (correct me if i wrong).

One of Reply series's strength other than warm hearting story, but they are also famous for a very sensual and steamy lover scenes. I think this time, the writer take lusty love line for DS and JH (just like Blue lagoon) instead of take a pure and comfortable first love story of Taek and DS. Personally, I saw lots of sexual tension between JH and DS in the beginning of the episode.. so i confirmed that their love is a lusty one, full of chemistry and yes, at the end it's not only physical.. but lusty love blooms to a real love. While, I can't really imagine Taek is having steamy lusty love with Duk Sun.. Their love is too pure, it's so unconditional and too beautiful to mix with steamy kiss and sexy scene.

I visited both shipping.. both have different topic to talk about.. JH-DS lines.. people demanding steamy kisses, bed scene for the DS&JH .. while here,  we really appreciate how beautiful, pure and mature the relationship between DS and Taek.. Sorry i'm not good explaining in English.. but once you visit the ship, you'll know the difference nuance between two ships.

3. It's true that writer nim really appreciate the real lee chang ho.. i think they will write Taek just like him as now.. so Taek will get a young, smart bride for him

4. The memory episode: PDnim has given us the clue about the background song on the beach scene.. It's beautiful moment and will be precious moment for Taek

I'm sorry to write this post in this ship.. but this is only my opinion.. and i know that I can't share it to anywhere since my heart is with Taek since beginning. Anyway, eventhough Taek ship will end up Taektanic.. I still appreciate the writer created Taek's character and write him beautifully.

well it is true the writer love to have steamy hot kisses with their reply pairing so it obviously advantageous to JH-DS with all the ust since that alley but until that happen let not underestimated Taek the boy that happily watching porn with his friend and not allowing DS to take part im sure he is not 100% pure lol

the reason im not going anywhere near main thread,jh thread,dc,db etc so i can stay in my Taek-DS delulu bubble longer until the big revelation of the husband since i know there millionth fact and opinion they gonna be putting down Taek possibility as husband...so until that happen i would just believe Taek is the husband since im in a Taek thread and this drama not even end yet..

after everything end no matter get taektatic or not i can finally rewatch the drama from beginning again with a calm and clear head since already got the answer but before that happen i would stay in my delulu land

like someone say Taek is neither 1st lead or 2nd lead material so he pretty much in the league of his own..

• Like 7

@aoikarin thank you so much for the hidden contents, i'm sure we are willing to take Taek along on our submarine and disappear to another island if the ending is JH/DS. 

If the ending is not Taek/DS, I have only 1 thing to say to writer-nim.. I will not watch any of her Reply series/dramas in the future.  Other than 1997 which i'm happy with the ending, 1994 was a disappointment.  Moreover, I really dislike writer that put so much emphasis on female lead/2nd male lead when the one to get the girl is the other guy.. And especially when they rushed the scenes in  the last few episodes. 

Maybe I will just skip the next few episodes until the last episode is out. 

• Like 5

Guest tanjam
1 hour ago, gerimisore said:

Hello everyone!

So, I didn't watch the raw, I didn't read the live recaps, but I did watch some of the Youtube clips and read most of your comments. I just want to come out of my lurker mode and comment on that particular scene when Taek leans his head on DS's shoulder and -as some people casually assumed- ignored the fact that his girl is actually crying. OMG!OMG!OMG! How can he, right? Pffft :|

Such a jerk. Very heartless. Wow. *insert doge meme* /s

But let me review Taek's position first.

We've been discussing Taek's role in the R1988 quite often and still we can't quite grasp where to put him. He is that unique. He is that unconventional. Now, if we just nonchalantly put him in the "2nd lead" position, based on the screen time or how late he entered the love triangle game, we'll then just devalued the writer's effort in writing Taek's impressive character development. And besides that, he also carries the "main" task of starting this whole love triangle thingy (his confession is the "switch  on" and his revelation of Junghwan's feeling will probably lead to how to end this messiness). He is basically the center problem of this whole fiasco. Someone even said he holds the key to end it (although, IMO, it's still up to DS). His next move will determine whether we're going to see a progress or a standstill. Oh, well. A 2nd lead, really? With that kind role? Taek also proves us from time to time that he has a life outside of his love story. He's not your usual "2nd lead" who spends the day blindly chasing the girl around like nothing else matters. No. He loves Deoksun, but it doesn't mean he will abandon baduk. He loves Deoksun, but it doesn't mean he will give up his baduk practice and choose to spend the time with his crush. At this point, it's kinda hard to put him in the 2nd lead position. But then again, he's not the 1st lead material either.

He's rich, genius, handsome, popular (major YES to all of them), but he's clumsy, he's not always present, he doesn't put up heroic acts towards the heroine, like protecting her in the bus or lending her an umbrella. Considering how many swoony and impossibly perfect 1st male leads in the K-dramas, Taek falls short in so many ways. It doesn't surprise me that his actions can't easily be understood by some watchers or his character doesn't impressed many female audiences. Because, yes, he's not that swoony. Because he still possesses some normal human traits despite falling for the female lead. He can forget, he prioritise other things, he can be unaware of his crush's tears, but THAT'S EXACTLY what I like about Taek character. His realness. His human traits.

You see, when a male character falls for the female lead, the audience expects him to devote his time and attention to the girl ALL THE TIME. Because, that's what we usually see in K-drama. it's like the world suddenly revolves around her. The male character needs to go above and beyond to protect the heroine and makes her feel needed. And as a female audience myself, I guiltily love seeing that. In fact, that's probably one of the reasons why so many women like watching K-drama. The impractical romantic gestures.

In Taek's case (I specifically highlighted the recent scene of him leaning his head on DS's shoulder), I can actually see why so many people disappointed in him. Some say that he doesn't love her enough, he doesn't understand her feeling, he only needs DS to fulfill his own need, or some even said they aren't meant to be just based on that scene alone (I was like, what??). But, IMO, some people actually missed some points here. Based on the K-drama trope that I mentioned above, what people expect from Taek is for him to suddenly alert that his crush is crying, perhaps followed by his wiping-the-tears gesture and listen to her problem in spite of feeling extremely exhausted or sleepy. Because that's what 'a male character who is love with the female lead' USUALLY does. Pouring all of his love no matter what happened. Always know if something is wrong with his love interest. But Taek isn't like that. Realistically speaking, being so drained and all, what Taek wants at that moment is prolly just go back home, take a bath and sleep. But no. He actually stops and notices DS is sitting alone, asks her "what happened?" and answers all of her questions. He can barely open his eyes so I wonder if he notices the trails of tears on DS's face, but still, the point is he tries to come to her despite feeling super weary and sleepy. But ofc, for a K-drama character, it's not sweet enough, isn't it? Thus my earlier apprehension towards some people disappointments. Although it's not fair to say that he doesn't love her enough just because he's too sleepy to notice she's crying. What Taek does is actually very realistic (which is also the reason why I like him so much), he's not all cheesy, and also he's not a character who's known by his grand heroic gestures. Taek's appeal is his way of showing his love in a mundane way. In fact, every time I expect Taek to do something sweet, he does it not in a way that K-drama usually planned for their male characters (for example; the flasher scene). But realism and K-drama is not a pair that you usually witness thus making Taek a little bit of an anomaly, because he looks like a breed from the two; a K-drama character that possesses a tinge of realism.

What Taek does is actually makes sense (in a realistic way). I mean, in my case, it's normal to be unaware of your crush's teary face when you can't even fully open your eyes. Actually, if I were Taek, in that condition, I'd probably just say hi, go home, and sleep. But in K-dramasphere, a little gesture like Taek did is very unappreciated because it's not grand or sweet enough. "How come you lean on her shoulder? You should be the one who makes her feel better!" Yeah, because the male characters in K-drama can't appear frail and always in position to protect the girl. It can't be  the other way around, right?

in fact, I see their little interaction as something very sweet and delicate. Like the two very weary souls who meet at the end of a very tiring day and, despite feeling unwell themselves, they ask the other party condition first. It's very soulmate-y. It's like the kind of thing that married couple has. There is just some very strong and unspeakable bond between them that I can't exactly pinpoint. It's beautiful in a lot of ways. Or perhaps my kind of romance is a little bit too simple.

OMG!!!!!

I don't know what I'm saying \(x__x)/ I'm so sorry if it's very confusing to read. I just typed what I have in mind T__T

Can't wait for today's episode! My heart actually broke a little when Taek knows about JH's feeling. But I'm happy our boy handles it well.

I'm so proud of you, Taekie! Being the husband or not, you deserve happiness!!! We're always here for you no matter what! <3

JH / DS loveline based on The Blue Lagoon? The Bue Lagoon story is a tragedy  if I remember correctly. The protagonists ended up dead or "sleeping" while floating on a boat on the sea....  Or just selective bits of Blue Lagoon? The just steamy bits? 

• Like 2

Guest tanjam

@gerimisore How old you? I ask you because you really think mature. That's how looks the real world. And this drama is drama about real people. I suppose how the writer-nim was inspired with his neighborhood and something similar. Do you really think that some sportsman or baduk player or milioner in real life would ruin his "bread" for love in 17 years youth. Helloooo! Life is in front of him :) What to do if you ruin your "bread for living"> Remember of Miseang .. looser baduk player cannot find a job. He has no time for school. If he fail what he will do as his job when he will have a familly. DS was lazy 17 years. Bora told he soo many time to study. But DS thinks she is " stupid" untalented.. Teak is concentred to do his best. Not just for him but also for his father, for his future family..