Park Bo Gum ❤ Girl's Day Hyeri aka REPLY 1988 TAEK x DEOKSUN

hafunohane

It is almost over huh? There are storylines that made me realize that ahh it is JH-DS endgame but as a shipper I hold on to the little hope that no, it could not be that easy could it? :lol: Anyways, episode 16 will be a big cliffhanger and I will go crazy waiting for the next episode. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, monsterlife said:

It is almost over huh? There are storylines that made me realize that ahh it is JH-DS endgame but as a shipper I hold on to the little hope that no, it could not be that easy could it? :lol: Anyways, episode 16 will be a big cliffhanger and I will go crazy waiting for the next episode. 

Thinking of the end, I feel so sad too. Among the 3 series, I stick with R88 the most. I still remember dozing off during the first 2 episodes, maybe that was because of my exam preparation. But yes, the stories starts to unfold and this is the first drama ever that I even watch the raws twice, read recaps, analyse comments on Soompi somemore and even do live recaps. My song playlist recently is filled with R88 OST and whenever I go to youtube, the whole "Watch again" playlist consists of R88 cuts, BTS and MVs.

I bet my withdrawal symptoms are gonna be great hahaha

But back to the endgame intepretation, I do hope and have lots of faith in TK becoming the husband. I tried to contemplate on the interaction between JH and DS. I could imagine something happens that leads to DS rejecting TK or vice versa or DS rejecting both. And, TK will maturely handles all his emotions while JH becomes more bold in expressing himself. But then, when I'm thinking about who DS really cares for, JH is indeed not her priority, just like SW. She seems to care lots for DR and of course, TK. So, the question is who DS loves and when/how she realizes that. Till this point, I still believe strongly that it's TK. How can I not trust these 2 when they are shown to have such a deep connection. Look at her eyes and his eyes, look at how they reveal themselves to each other, look at how the 2 families bond...

so, #teamsuntaek

and one leg on DR-DS too haha

• Like 12

3 hours ago, Wendy Wang said:

10246526_1535610063417304_13672651873385

Reply 1988 fb page posted this with the caption:
"Eyes can't lie." 

This is really something, in every posters that JH/DS and TK/DS , I always see how the mutual feelings standout between TK/DS..

Anyway I post something in the main thread when I saw the new OST, I can't help it but noticed that they features more scenes of JH/DS from the beginning but end with TK/DS "moment"...Yiheeee^^ 

Im very sure Taek have really this kind of maturity and  I guess he will never give up DS that easily,but might see first the situation, his move will be carefully executed for him not to hurt his brotherly friend..im excited what he's gonna do, I'm really looking forward for it..it will be a long time move..and his next  move will be base on JH next move..he might give JH time make his move..and see what DS response..

anyway I really believe that Teak like DS for a very long time, and waiting for her might not be a problem,besides he is Baduk player, though i don't know much about Baduk,but they have this very long patience...their patience is beyond ordinary..

• Like 10

42 minutes ago, mustardmaimai said:

cause we're gonna need to bandage our butts come finale day

Oh my god, I can't even wrap my mind around that day. Better start my brazilian butt workout NOW, so that when d-day comes, my a$$ will be toned, muscular, and extra tough. At least tough enough to survive a sinking. 

• Like 8

Lol on all the color theories. 

I watched ep 15's bus scene and noticed the color change of the bag..I hussed and rolled my eyes till it almost went to the back of my head. Ain't falling for it again writers. The dolls are set according to the mood.

P.S: Those dolls/trolls posted remind me of the "bride of chucky". Nightmare.

• Like 6

i can see that DS is not only sitting on the stairs/woodenbench because she is sad about her studies or she is sad because nobody likes her or she is waiting for his monitto

i guess she is always waiting for taek to come home just to see him ( her source of strength, someone who accepts her the way she is, and someone who brings the best in her) 

insert music ... wherever you go... whatever you do.. i will be right here waiting for you

pizzas chinggus? 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, darafangirl29 said:

i can see that DS is not only sitting on the stairs/woodenbench because she is sad about her studies or she is sad because nobody likes her or she is waiting for his monitto

i guess she is always waiting for taek to come home just to see him ( her source of strength, someone who accepts her the way she is, and someone who brings the best in her) 

insert music ... wherever you go... whatever you do.. i will be right here waiting for you

pizzas chinggus? 

oh my gosh you are right...she had waited outside for TK on numerous occasions. SHe has waited for JH too, but it has always had the context of trying to get him to like her more not just because of life

• Like 5

3 hours ago, nicola_nikka said:

look at the dolls lol tumblr_nzy4p0pbqQ1qgrnp6o1_1280.png

Omo omo omo! Just finished watching ep 15 raw and guys guys guysssss! 

*puts on sleuth gloves*

Let me explain the trolling dolls scenario one more time. It appears from this angle like there are only two dolls. Green and yellow. Green standing, yellow sitting. But a few seconds earlier, and a few seconds later, we see the same scene but from another angle, where we get a better view of what's on the table behind JB. And guess what? There's a red doll on the table too! And it's being blocked by JB's body in this picture. It's quite far from the green and yellow dolls and is turned away from them. In fact, it's the exact replica of the alleyway scene at night when JH is about to approach DS but gets intercepted by Taek, and while the two of them talk and hug it out, JH turns away from them and enters his blue gate.

Do you see where I'm going with this? I'm usually cautious about sounding over-confident like this but this scene makes me 99.99% certain that the green doll is Taekie.

• Like 10

Just finished watching Epi15 c-sub.... we should know that the writer will not make it so obvious who is DS husband. My heart nearly could not take it, it is like a roller coaster ride in this episode for me. 

In the beginning of this episode, the feeling of DS husband is JH increases from the way she looks at him and pissed off that he don't 'like' her (as in she do minds that JH do not like her).  But then that happens to SW case too.. so confusing...

DS crying at the staircase area is because she may have felt apologetic towards her parents as the teacher told her mum that DS result is unlikely to land her a place at any seoul university.

But i'm relieved that this episode, Taek knows that JH likes DS.. and only Taek knows that.  I have a feeling that it will be Taek who will try to 'give up' DS instead of JH.. JH doesn't know that Taek knew he likes DS.. is he going to confess to DS in epi 16 or going to tell DS about JH.. hai~~~ I really 'hate' writer... don't play with my heart:sweatingbullets::tears:

• Like 3

@mustardmaimai. I thought exactly the same as you ^^ Since our theory is about dolls mirroring scenes in love lines and colors to figure out which one is who, but for JH is green believers dolls  mirrors their emotions  it means DS and JH have feelings for each other so it's accurate for both ways ^^ Interesting right?

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, mangachickava said:

I remember in reply 1994 DB favored CB...and I get the sense in reply 1988 JH is favored... 

Yeah... I have a feeling that only international fans favors JH more. If you check out official Twitter and Facebook posts Taek or TK/DS garnering more likes...Same goes for amount of fmv brought by korean shippers more of Taek's. Well...Taek's room is  more crowded than it seems ^^ It's more spacious too I love magic lol

• Like 2

Hi guys, finally the day has come for last episode before two looooooong weeks of wait. I spent my Xmas morning on my laptop, watching the show live and reading your Live Recaps, chuckling here and there like manic. You guys are so precious to me, full of insights and crazy goodness. Ahhh, my little heart can't contain this feelings alone, that's why I am lucky to have you all to share. 

I discussed my current obsession with husband, complaining on how I will not have my dose of happiness after this week, and imagine after Ep 20, there will be no more AM 1988. He came with the solution that I should treat the remaining episodes like a prize, like watching one episode per year on my birthday, and that way, it will never end. Lol. Husbands are like that!

Anyway, it's interesting to see two things I love the most: Korean Drama + Baduk blended in the form of a heart-warming Kdrama. Usually baduk is only depicted in few scenes as additional props/ setting, but rarely adding to the depth of a character (See A Beautiful Mind, Aarang and the magistrate, etc) . In this drama however, Baduk is not only described as one layer in one of character's life but also holds the philosophical element of his character arc. I can't help but love the writer's ability to convey Taek's character into one that is most memorable from the drama for me. 

There are couple of observations Baduk related to this drama:

1. In Baduk, a match of unequal strength will be addressed in order to balance the power. A stronger player usually gives some amount of handicap to the weaker by letting them putting stones ahead. The number of stones are varied usually depends on the skill gap. For example, a 6 Dan player can give 5 stones to 1 Kyu level. Handicap system is unique and there is no equivalent for it in other games. The aim is to LET TWO PEOPLE OF DIFFERENT STRENGTH PLAY A GAME WITH EQUAL CHANCES TO WIN. The stronger one bears a burden not to show his superiority but to strain his powers and use all his skills. In short, he has to do his best to defeat his competitor. Handicap games are interesting and exciting for both partners. I can't give an example of a board game which the stronger player has to give so much in the beginning in order to win.

My interpretation: We all agree that the writer does not treat baduk as a mere additional prop/setting, seeing the amount of scenes about baduk and Taek's baduk portrayed in the series. I think she has a lot of knowledge about baduk and sometimes I think she's kinda fond of the game. Given the normal Kdrama trope which usually would introduce all main leads and their character structure/role in the plot as early as episode 1, I think Taek's gradual revelation is really unusual. He wasn't confirmed as the husband contender until episode 6, and he has been given very limited screen time in the beginning, and his arc is mainly apart but parallel with the rest of cast. Seeing how the episodes fold out now, I think he is serving the role of one with upper hand, the stronger one. That's why to give JH equal chance to play, the writer decides to give that first 6 episodes to build a solid base for JH + DS storyline. It's as if Taek the baduk master gives 6 stones handicap to his opponent, and only on the 7th stones, white starts his play.

2. Modern baduk has two more distinguishing features: a compensation of points (komi) for the white player: for example in chess, white player wins more often whereas black employs defensive techniques from the beginning. However in Baduk, compensation implies a fight from the beginning WITHOUT A FEELING OF LESS CHANCES TO WIN. Another thing, the komi makes a draw impossible. In Baduk there ate no draw tactics and each game has to be decided so players try their d*mn3st best to achieve favorable result.

My interpretation: There is no clear depiction of secondary male lead character in this story. Why? It's because the writer gives them bot fair chance to play. As one with upper hand (Taek's back story, his baduk arc, his depth and selfless interaction with the gang and the people in Sssangmundong, as well as his mutual understanding with DS and his love for her), Taek is restrained with the handicaps (see above points) but at the same time receives Komi points in the form of his peeled character layers. They both have equal chance, to be the husband. But at the same time the amount of handicap is a burden which he must catch up to. In this case, I predict that true to his character as baduk master who is all about fair play, he will not fall for the trap of noble idiocy, but at the same time he will not jump out of character and be all malicious. I mean, he is our Taek who is observant and perceptive of people around him. The friends are like his family. I believe that the writer will find a middle way to let both players shine without sacrificing their characters.

3. In baduk, a good and fair play is most important. It's better surrender than to play until the end, count on Opponent's big mistake. A game we won having played well is the source of satisfaction. A victory secured to violating ethics is worth nothing. A person learning to play Baduk starts to need NOT ONLY victories but also good play. Baduk creates that need and it is a cource of the need. Practicing Baduk induces not ideal human to behave ETHICALLY.

My interpretation: Again, as a master with great and deep understanding of Go, Taek will try to read and calculate his next move. I will not worry about the noble idiocy, but it's not impossible for a game to be won by handicapped player despite him being "weaker". So, it's up to DS now to decide. If I am not mistaken, Taek is unsure about her feelings. And maybe after this revelation, he will start looking for the sign of DS's attraction to JH? Who knows. Besides, love is not a competition and DS is not a trophy to be won. This also what makes CB in AM 1994 fails: his failure in recognizing the depth of NJ's feelings to Oppa. (I am Team CB, but I acknowledge that he should have resigned earlier, knowing the end game).

I have several more points, but I will probably post it later. Sorry for the ramble and nonsense.

Merry Xmas!!! 

• Like 20

18 minutes ago, shooastrid said:

Hi guys, finally the day has come for last episode before two looooooong weeks of wait. I spent my Xmas morning on my laptop, watching the show live and reading your Live Recaps, chuckling here and there like manic. You guys are so precious to me, full of insights and crazy goodness. Ahhh, :heart:my little heart can't contain this feelings alone:heart:, that's why I am lucky to have you all to share. 

I discussed my current obsession with husband, complaining on how I will not have my dose of happiness after this week, and imagine after Ep 20, there will be no more AM 1988. He came with the solution that I should treat the remaining episodes like a prize, like watching one episode per year on my birthday, and that way, it will never end. Lol. Husbands are like that!

Anyway, it's interesting to see two things I love the most: Korean Drama + Baduk blended in the form of a heart-warming Kdrama. Usually baduk is only depicted in few scenes as additional props/ setting, but rarely adding to the depth of a character (See A Beautiful Mind, Aarang and the magistrate, etc) . In this drama however, Baduk is not only described as one layer in one of character's life but also holds the philosophical element of his character arc. I can't help but love the writer's ability to convey Taek's character into one that is most memorable from the drama for me. 

There are couple of observations Baduk related to this drama:

1. In Baduk, a match of unequal strength will be addressed in order to balance the power. A stronger player usually gives some amount of handicap to the weaker by letting them putting stones ahead. The number of stones are varied usually depends on the skill gap. For example, a 6 Dan player can give 5 stones to 1 Kyu level. Handicap system is unique and there is no equivalent for it in other games. The aim is to LET TWO PEOPLE OF DIFFERENT STRENGTH PLAY A GAME WITH EQUAL CHANCES TO WIN. The stronger one bears a burden not to show his superiority but to strain his powers and use all his skills. In short, he has to do his best to defeat his competitor. Handicap games are interesting and exciting for both partners. I can't give an example of a board game which the stronger player has to give so much in the beginning in order to win.

My interpretation: We all agree that the writer does not treat baduk as a mere additional prop/setting, seeing the amount of scenes about baduk and Taek's baduk portrayed in the series. I think she has a lot of knowledge about baduk and sometimes I think she's kinda fond of the game. Given the normal Kdrama trope which usually would introduce all main leads and their character structure/role in the plot as early as episode 1, I think Taek's gradual revelation is really unusual. He wasn't confirmed as the husband contender until episode 6, and he has been given very limited screen time in the beginning, and his arc is mainly apart but parallel with the rest of cast. Seeing how the episodes fold out now, I think he is serving the role of one with upper hand, the stronger one. That's why to give JH equal chance to play, the writer decides to give that first 6 episodes to build a solid base for JH + DS storyline. It's as if Taek the baduk master gives 6 stones handicap to his opponent, and only on the 7th stones, white starts his play.

2. Modern baduk has two more distinguishing features: a compensation of points (komi) for the white player: for example in chess, white player wins more often whereas black employs defensive techniques from the beginning. However in Baduk, compensation implies a fight from the beginning WITHOUT A FEELING OF LESS CHANCES TO WIN. Another thing, the komi makes a draw impossible. In Baduk there ate no draw tactics and each game has to be decided so players try their d*mn3st best to achieve favorable result.

My interpretation: There is no clear depiction of secondary male lead character in this story. Why? It's because the writer gives them bot fair chance to play. As one with upper hand (Taek's back story, his baduk arc, his depth and selfless interaction with the gang and the people in Sssangmundong, as well as his mutual understanding with DS and his love for her), Taek is restrained with the handicaps (see above points) but at the same time receives Komi points in the form of his peeled character layers. They both have equal chance, to be the husband. But at the same time the amount of handicap is a burden which he must catch up to. In this case, I predict that true to his character as baduk master who is all about fair play, he will not fall for the trap of noble idiocy, but at the same time he will not jump out of character and be all malicious. I mean, he is our Taek who is observant and perceptive of people around him. The friends are like his family. I believe that the writer will find a middle way to let both players shine without sacrificing their characters.

3. In baduk, a good and fair play is most important. It's better surrender than to play until the end, count on Opponent's big mistake. A game we won having played well is the source of satisfaction. A victory secured to violating ethics is worth nothing. A person learning to play Baduk starts to need NOT ONLY victories but also good play. Baduk creates that need and it is a cource of the need. Practicing Baduk induces not ideal human to behave ETHICALLY.

My interpretation: Again, as a master with great and deep understanding of Go, Taek will try to read and calculate his next move. I will not worry about the noble idiocy, but it's not impossible for a game to be won by handicapped player despite him being "weaker". So, it's up to DS now to decide. If I am not mistaken, Taek is unsure about her feelings. And maybe after this revelation, he will start looking for the sign of DS's attraction to JH? Who knows..

I have several more points, but I will probably post it later. Sorry for the ramble and nonsense.

Merry Xmas!!! 

Wow. Your analysis is so amazing it's making me speechless...

Maybe I like your post just a litttttttle bit more than the episode itself...

Please keep your posts coming. Can't wait to read more...

:heart:

• Like 8

@shooastrid Great write up.In that case Taek will end up looking more like the one with bigger heart right? Somehow even if jh-ds becomes the end game why does it feel like taek will turn out to be the winner? RJY has become so much popular with the fans lately but tbh Taek's character is something new,controlled and measured,which gives away with how much care writer built his arc.

• Like 10

Hi all, can I just say people in this thread are just so awesome? No stupid shipping wars and name calling or whatever, just a lot of love for Taeki. The shipping wars at Baidu are turning so ugly. So glad I found this thread!

For me, Taek's story has turned out to be THE most moving one of kdramas in 2015. Kudos to the writer, and Bo Gum's amazingly sensitive portrayal of Taek. 

• Like 10

Like always, I like to read comments on DB and I laugh at some but one caught my attention. I agreed with The latter part.

Spoiler

Quote by Convelena

..."Taek,if he plays his cards right,he will get the girl"

Oh yeah,that's what I really want. I hope it happens. But if it doesn't,I'm OK with it.

• Like 6