Park Bo Gum ❤ Girl's Day Hyeri aka REPLY 1988 TAEK x DEOKSUN

hafunohane

4 minutes ago, nearsea said:

Somehow I found the whole scene of JH tying taek's shoelace a bit too sweetening.Why is it they are portraying him one way as baby who needs feeding?And dint we see how JH's jealousy root sprung out when he took sun woo as a rival?He almost stopped talking to him.How is taek any different? Why would not he do the same with him?The way he has constantly taken notice of which boy had ever had any interest  in deok sun just makes it hard for me to digest the whole noble idiocy part.

I sometimes wonder if everybody treating Taekie like a baby stems from the needs of others than from what he actually needs. I rewatched the first ep again today and the first thing we're told about him is how he's a genuis baduk player but an idiot at everything else. Yet the next thing we are shown is all his friends ordering things from him and sending him off on an errand. Which is how he ends up at the door with a tray full of cake and milk. Contradiction much?

It's not like he can't do things. People around him won't let him do them for himself. I think it helps to think of him as someone who needs to be taken care of in a very basic way. Imagine if Taekie was a genuis baduk player and he had JH's personality. Submitting to his friends' idea of him and to their constant scolding, caring and pampering makes him accessible in a way that having a tough outer shell that rejected this kind of help would never allow for. People would easily put him on a pedestal and be unable to develop intimate relationships with him. Despite being quite mature, he allows his friends to treat him like a child because it brings him back to earth, and reinstates his ordinariness in the eyes of his friends. I think his friends (JH included) will be in for a surprise to know that Taek can actually handle a lot more emotional upheaval/trauma/anxiety than he lets on.

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, salz said:

anyway for ppl who get angry at Taek for not realizing DS crying the fact that he ask her right away did something happen while being dead tired himself is enough to see he care and concern while DS herself say she is fine and immediately calm down the moment she see Taek..Taek presence is more than enough at that moment..i do feel DS concern for Taek is more priority above her own emotion it like she just automatically care bout him there juat switch in her brain...there are time he can protect her like the time with the flasher he wait for her outside toilet and there time she also protect him..he might not be all showy and big gesture like usual hero but they definitely understand each other enough..

Sorry to cut you post ...but always something that's like a new discovery from each and everyone's post here.Loving all the different  perspectives.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Meliere said:

This's my read into this scene:

First the silence. I find this significant from a direction / film making perspective. When Bora rejected SW the first time, and when JH learned about TK's feelings in ep. 10, the background music immediately cut to that same sad guitar sequence without confusion. PD Shin's directorial hand is assured in this case: he framed those scenes around clear emotions of sadness and disappointment. There's not much layering in the direction here; the pictures presented and the emotions conveyed pretty much align symmetrically. 

Conditioning / priming the audience to feel a certain way with emotional background music is the oldest trick in the book. It's also the most accepted trick in the book. Which means the director can use it however he wants whenever he wants without worrying he's being cliché.

Now the silence. Film and TV is so saturated with sounds and colors and stimuli, absolute silence must be reserved for the most important scenes. The effect is so immediately gut-wrenching and stark and disorienting that you can't really use it more than once or twice. I mean, hell, even Shakespeare used it judiciously: Hamlet's last words were "the rest is silence." 

So we know that PD Shin "used up" one of the most important film-making weapons in his arsenal for Taek's scene. I will bet my last dollar that this means that moment is super important to the drama narrative as a whole. Too important to be just another "second lead creates drama and angst for the main OTP!" or "second lead is hurt by OTP!" If it was the latter, it's almost laughably silly to use the auterustic "Silence" for a scene involving the second lead's reactions. 

@Meliere Yep! What you say about silence is so true! It does pack a punch and you're right, it's not something that the PD can afford to use again and again. That would only serve to dilute the effect.

Again and again I'm struck by how the depth of the emotional experience that the writing affords JH compares feebly against Taek's. All we've seen is in JH's way of liking DS for the past I don't know how many episodes is his stealing secret smiles while she does silly things. It's cute, but look at where DS and Taek are in terms of sharing a common emotional experience of defeat and exhaustion. Both look weary and beaten by life this episode. And I find something there. That even though they aren't going through the exact life events, and they aren't really talking about it, there is a sort of synchronicity in their emotions, their larger experiences, so that they are able to participate and empathise with what's going on with the other even without explicit sharing. JH appears sadly out of the loop in this case. There appears little or no personal struggle, no uphill journey on his part that can tie him more intimately or convincingly to DS and her experiences, her struggles, her journey.

ADDED: Just saw the DR-DS fanmade video and I must say that even DR is more emotionally involved in DS's life than JH at the moment. 

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, mustardmaimai said:

I sometimes wonder if everybody treating Taekie like a baby stems from the needs of others than from what he actually needs. I rewatched the first ep again today and the first thing we're told about him is how he's a genuis baduk player but an idiot at everything else. Yet the next thing we are shown is all his friends ordering things from him and sending him off on an errand. Which is how he ends up at the door with a tray full of cake and milk. Contradiction much?

It's not like he can't do things. People around him won't let him do them for himself. I think it helps to think of him as someone who needs to be taken care of in a very basic way. Imagine if Taekie was a genuis baduk player and he had JH's personality. Submitting to his friends' idea of him and to their constant scolding, caring and pampering makes him accessible in a way that having a tough outer shell that rejected this kind of help would never allow for. People would easily put him on a pedestal and be unable to develop intimate relationships with him. Despite being quite mature, he allows his friends to treat him like a child because it brings him back to earth, and reinstates his ordinariness in the eyes of his friends. I think his friends (JH included) will be in for a surprise to know that Taek can actually handle a lot more emotional upheaval/trauma/anxiety than he lets on.

Wow so you mean to say he is in a way indulging them by giving ways to their means of treating him as a no-gooder..and doing things for him in the process. BUT this patronising actually shows how mature he really is than the gang who apparently think they're the grown up one lol.

Taek's process of growth/revelation in the whole series have become quite slow and cautious.From one moment when he was treated as someone who could not even hold his own fork to the calculative gaze when he realizes his best friend likes the same girl he's in love with,it was like a decisive moment.In that look,it seemed like he's already taken a decision,something which a grown up person would do,in spite of their pain.I am talking about that scene from ep 16 preview.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, nearsea said:

Somehow I found the whole scene of JH tying taek's shoelace a bit too sweetening.Why is it they are portraying him one way as baby who needs feeding?

No, I don't think so.

We see the close up of untied shoelaces before JH's dad is sent to the hospital. 

It's a moment of transcendence for Taek's character. Yes-- he sucks at using chopsticks, he can be clumsy with everyday tasks... the untied shoelaces is a symbol of Taek's selective disregard for little day-to-day details. 

But in things that really matter, Taek is capable. Incredibly so. That he could so quickly make the necessary calls and get JH's dad the help he needs even as his own shoelaces are untied says a lot about his character and his willingness to help others (perhaps even above his own needs). 

And don't forget it's because of his baduk earnings that Sunwoo's house was not foreclosed by the bank.  EDIT: as @chickfactorkindly pointed out, this is a misstatement of facts. Papa bear helped out Sunyoung by taking funds from his own savings as a storeowner; Taekie's baduk earnings are saved separately as his own.

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, mustardmaimai said:

I totally agree. I have also been wondering if Taek simply lets his friends take care of him because it helps them feel good.

It was like when he lost a competition, and all the adults on the block tip-toed around him and told their kids to never mention it to him and to leave him alone. Instead, the kids just barged into his room and said, "Hey, you lost. You've shamed the entire neighborhood. But who cares? Why not tell some curse words?" And that was exactly what he needed.

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, Meliere said:

No, I don't think so.

We see the close up of untied shoelaces before JH's dad is sent to the hospital. 

It's a moment of transcendence for Taek's character. Yes-- he sucks at using chopsticks, he can be clumsy with everyday tasks... the untied shoelaces is a symbol of Taek's selective disregard for little day-to-day details. 

But in things that really matter, Taek is capable. Incredibly so. That he could so quickly make the necessary calls and get JH's dad the help he needs even as his OWN shoelaces are untied says a lot about his character and his willingness to help others (perhaps even above his own needs). 

And don't forget it's because of his baduk earnings that Sunwoo's house was not foreclosed by the bank. 

I am totally fine with his apparent disregard to the day to day mundane activities as you pointed out,and it somehow makes him stand out as a rather cool kid from present time lol,what I asked upon was other's way of treating him as a rather inoperative kid.That he is so much 'capable' but none even the best friends don't take notice of it,that was what I found amusing.

He is experienced,down to earth even after having achieved so much at such an early age,but still that scene when jh is seen tying his shoe lace or tugging in his bed.It seemed like writer is trying to establish how the whole gang sees him in a whole another light,as if he needs protection.It was a rather passing thought though,sometimes which comes in mind at times like this, for example the shoe lace scene.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Meliere said:

No, I don't think so.

But in things that really matter, Taek is capable. Incredibly so. That he could so quickly make the necessary calls and get JH's dad the help he needs even as his OWN shoelaces are untied says a lot about his character and his willingness to help others (perhaps even above his own needs). 

And don't forget it's because of his baduk earnings that Sunwoo's house was not foreclosed by the bank. 

Taekie will always have the upper hand as far as money is concerned so that might be a bit unfair. To gauge his maturity that way. Of course he's still giving his money away to others selflessly, but do the others even have that choice? Even if they may have the heart for it. 

But when you say "he untied shoelaces is a symbol of Taek's selective disregard for little day-to-day details", I completely agree. Mostly because I can relate to that myself, having for much into my adulthood not quite known how to tie my shoelace properly. Remember this is not an indication that Taek doesn't know how to tie his shoelace at all, but that he doesn't know how to tie it in a way that stays tied for long. Lol, am just inserting my own experiences into this, but only with the hope this helps. And as someone who continues to get the buttons on my cardigans mixed up (yeah, I can't seem to get the order right) the first time around, I guess I'm not that bothered to fix it and do end up being the butt of several jokes in family and friends' circle. But I find that it is a matter of priority than anything else. And I'd say the same for Taekie. He's got many other things happening in his life that he prefers to spend his time and energy on.

I don't think maturation for Taek will mean an upgrade in his fine motor skills or a transformation in his clumsy habits.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, mustardmaimai said:

Taekie will always have the upper hand as far as money is concerned so that might be a bit unfair. To gauge his maturity that way. Of course he's still giving his money away to others selflessly, but do the others even have that choice? Even if they may have the heart for it. 

Totally agree. That last point in my previous post was not necessary. 

6 minutes ago, mustardmaimai said:

And as someone who continues to get the buttons on my cardigans mixed up (yeah, I can't seem to get the order right) the first time around, I guess I'm not that bothered to fix it and do end up being the butt of several jokes in family and friends' circle.

lol for me it's my incredible talent for weird typos. You guys have seen a ton from me, now that I get so excited about this show that I click "submit" without proof reading. I love reading and writing, but it's like my brain is utterly useless when it comes to catching details on the page. 

• Like 5

Hmm...we love to create parallels and analyze them aren't we PD-nim? Here is my thoughts on Taek and JH parallel scenes just guessing no harm intended...

• Junghwan's expression was more like sympathetic, first he was listener then his sad expression and BGM implies  his concern was the possibility of hurting Taek and since he thinks Taek can't handle it and he wouldn't want to be the one who ruins squad's friendship we all see it as clear as day he decided to keep things in just to see what will change over time.
  • Taek's expression was empathetic, first his eyes focused on JH pov , then his rather stoic expression and silence implies he figures what was Junghwan  going through all this time and he feels agony of the situation they are both in now. It's subtle compared to Junghwan but we can see he made that decision to do something in order to save their friendship...soon.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Meliere said:

lol for me it's my incredible talent for weird typos. You guys have seen a ton from me, now that I get so excited about this show that I click "submit" without proof reading. I love reading and writing, but it's like my brain is utterly useless when it comes to catching details on the page. 

LOL. So we're all a bunch of weirdos (and I mean this as a compliment, have always accepted it as such) in our own right. Love it! :)

Maybe it's because I professionally work with children that it irks me to no end when I see dramas (and society at large) try to shove unattainable ideas of the ideal, perfect human being down our throats. Leads to larger than life expectations that dip us to lower than expected lows. Like the average guy is actually the drop dead gorgeous guy with six packs, flawless skin, genius at everything, can jump across buildings, can beat an opponent with some richard simmons-kicking martial arts moves, can sing/dance/cook/knit/or-fly-a-plane when the occasion calls for it, who aces exams and is socially amicable and loved by everyone, who always does the right thing at all times, who is always there to save the day, and blah blah blah.

Aside from how too much sugar will start to taste bitter or bland after a while, it's really quite alright, fun, interesting, meaningful to be clumsy sometimes, a klutz sometimes, to make mistakes, to have limitations, to be flawed and to not have to hide it. There's nothing plain about being ordinary. In fact every ordinary person comes with their own charm. And every flawed - and by that I mean realistically flawed - kdrama character happens to be more memorable than your perfect/average kdrama male lead.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, mustardmaimai said:

Maybe it's because I professionally work with children that it irks me to no end when I see dramas (and society at large) try to shove unattainable ideas of the ideal, perfect human being down our throats. Leads to larger than life expectations that dip us to lower than expected lows. Like the average guy is actually the drop dead gorgeous guy with six packs, flawless skin, genius at everything, can jump across buildings, can beat an opponent with some richard simmons-kicking martial arts moves, can sing/dance/cook/knit/or-fly-a-plane when the occasion calls for it, who aces exams and is socially amicable and loved by everyone, who always does the right thing at all times, who is always there to save the day, and blah blah blah.

My fav is the suave chaebol who doesn't seem to be actually running his own company. :glasses::heart:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Meliere said:

*cue boys before flowers music* ALMOSSST PARADISE~~~~~~ :glasses: According to this "leak", is Jung Hwan going to become filthy rich and own an helicopter too? Or will he buy DS an island in the shape of a bus?!

LOL MAYBE IN A KIM EUN SOOK DRAMA. *insert double wrist grab*

LOL. You guys's response to the leaked foretelling and this really struck a chord:

"There's gotta be another way" LOL.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, mustardmaimai said:

LOL. So we're all a bunch of weirdos (and I mean this as a compliment, have always accepted it as such) in our own right. Love it! :)

Aside from how too much sugar will start to taste bitter or bland after a while, it's really quite alright, fun, interesting, meaningful to be clumsy sometimes, a klutz sometimes, to make mistakes, to have limitations, to be flawed and to not have to hide it. There's nothing plain about being ordinary. In fact every ordinary person comes with their own charm. And every flawed - and by that I mean realistically flawed - kdrama character happens to be more memorable than your perfect/average kdrama male lead.

Whoa I love your job,that is the most fun thing to do right out of the regular 9-5 career that we ordinary human beings have to go with =|.But yes totally agree with you.Kdramas do not usually take any normal/regular guy as the main character,they always have to excel at what they do,be a super lawyer,or a yongpal or be indisputably best at their work.So a jang geu rae or a taek is better,they are blend of flaws and mistakes,which make them close to a regular human being.And from that prospect,maybe I can't fault JH either,as he with his jealousy or insecurity is what makes him JH.

• Like 3

I may sound cruel to JH, but the narrative puts Taek against him to highlight the difference in their approaches in life and romance.

JH, for so many episodes, should have guessed that Deok-seon had a crush on him. But he refused point blank to admit that he liked DS. Out of pride? Boys being boys... Was it because he knew Taek's feeling (episode 10) that he held back? No. He still approached and reciprocated DS's 'signals'...   

Taek would not admit his feeling in front of DS at that time (e10), because I think he knew if he did, it would be taken lightly in all those teasing and joking. But when DR said, "no seriously... what do you think of her?", and JH's remarking that "no way! not with all the girls he could pick..." Taek put the record straight. "I like her as a man to a woman."

I really do not want Taek to go down without a fight. Rather than backing down because of their friendship is more important to him, he would let Deok-seon decide.

• Like 9