Park Bo Gum ❤ Girl's Day Hyeri aka REPLY 1988 TAEK x DEOKSUN

hafunohane

This is my first time joining a forum!! Yayy! I just can't contain my love for Taek and Deok Sun. I never imagined that my ship will sail this faaar. I shipped them since episode 1 thinking this would be another drama where I'm rooting for the impossible. BUT NO SUNTAEK IS BREAKING BOUNDARIES!!!!!! <3 <3 <3 OMGGGGG 

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, SongMira said:

We still have 3hours right? They are just reapeting the previous episodes.Its reply 1988 right now in tvN:crazy:

Iam so nervous!!!!!!Hope it wont dissapoint us)

Himne Everyone!!!:glasses::heart:

So it became REPLAY 1988? 

#sorrybadpun

Anyway I just wanna highlight how happy I am to find this community who is as passionate about this drama as I am. No one around me watches the show so I couldn't share my analysis and excitement for the drama. I've seen so many people with great interpretation of the same show, JH fans included. I specially created an account just for this thread and probably won't come back ever again (cues sad music).

The only regret I have is me joining late (I have less than 20 posts) but it's been an awesome journey with you guys. :') I'm a silent watcher so I don't post much. Only 2 more episodes and I'm kind of sad it's ending despite being excited for the finale. 

And my best decision is boarding the Taek ship because I never knew a quiet and innocent character could shine so brightly as the lead. We have typical leads who bicker with the female lead, acting coy while doing swoonworthy actions. 

But we have Taek who is down to earth and so different from other dramas. With his personality, he could have been shrugged off as a filler character but the writer has developed him so well that it is worthy of a lead character. So I really wanna thank her for breaking the mould for a male lead.

This became an essay from my bad pun lol. Sorry I'm so emotional.

• Like 13

30 minutes ago, moonkeeper said:

Since others think we're delusional...ROOMMATES..so be it!!

Let's chill and take a look the latest PM3 Analysis ^___^ :):rolleyes:

On Taek as Forrest Gump

Hide contents
On Taek as Forrest Gump.

A few of you asked me how TK knew to go after DS at the concert hall. I don’t believe he heard his manager and the GF's conversation about DS. Besides, if you listen to that conversation again, there was NOTHING that the two people were saying that TK didn’t already know. As a matter of fact, what the two people were discussing was only hearsay; TK had actually witnessed DS leaving for the concert unaccompanied.  So, he knew “better”. lol. 

Now, I think two possibilities happened here:

a:  the staff and GF were standing in front a window, right? They were discussing the rain. TK could have walked up to the window, saw that it was raining outside and decided to cancel his game because he knew DS wasn’t dressed for a rainy day. Thus, he called a press meeting and apologize to the tournament organizers and his opponent. 

OR – I favor this, because this is more his typical behavior:

b: when we saw him in the restroom washing his face  [Episode 18], he had ALREADY called the press-con and informed the event organizers and his opponent of his decision to withdraw from the game. Why do I say this? Because that’s HIS routine. He typically washes his face AFTER his match, then he leaves the place with his manager [rewatch Episode 6, after he beat the Chinese player].  I assumed that he washed his face because he had already told people he was forfeiting. 

What does this mean then? 

This means that he ONLY proceeded to go to the Baduk center to tell his people of his decision to withdraw. When he realized that DS was faking it [he was the one who looked down and saw her slippers], he decided to go after her.

TK +1000 points

On the other hand, JH had to process the information and weigh it BEFORE he acted.  He 1) was told by DR that it was raining outside (did it click that DS didn’t have an umbrella?), 2) got on the phone with SW, 3) asked DR if they really wanted to do it together, 4) saw DS’ cheating BF with another girl, and 5) watched Forest Gump until halfway through the show, BEFORE he made a decision to go after DS.  

[BTW, the scene where Jenny called Forest Gump and they ran towards each other in the Reflecting Pool is at 1 hr 7 min mark of the movie; I’m checked. He sat there in the theater for an hour with DR.]  

Then and only then did he decide to go after DS. Now, that was a very huge mistake and JH admitted it in his monologue. It was his hesitation = his inability to cross the line that caused him to lose [Episode 9].  

In a comment I wrote to a poster on the MT, I stressed that Ep 9 was a pivotal point in the show. Why? Because this is when the scriptwriter exposed JH’s character major flaw. You see, for this scriptwriter, like most Kdrama writers, the concept of “risking it all for love” is paramount. The guy (and the girl, too, of course) has to take that metaphorical flying leap off the cliff for another person. 

But if the guy (or girl) wasn’t even willing to give up his coat to a freezing girl, then he wasn’t ready yet for the “flying leap.” And if he declared his affections at that moment, his words would ring hollow because actions > words. 

However, the risks don’t need to take on an unrealistic, life-or-death proportion, like jumping in front of a train or taking a bullet in the brain as Bruno Mars promised. Most of the time, the “risks” demanded of the hero in kdrama is just a matter of rearranging life priorities. In TK’s case, he knew that DS came first before baduk in his life. He proved it. 

Do you also understand now the scriptwriter’s intent in showing TK place his jacket on DS’ shoulders? That jacket-sharing was to directly contrast the two men. Two men, two concerts, two jackets, and one freezing girl. BTW, I said before that this is a standard trope for this writer. The guy “wraps” the girl in his outfit. I actually call it the “dog urinating on the fire hydrant” trope. 

The nice thing about the way TK gave her his jacket was its simplicity. He just DID IT, without her asking for it or telling him that she. When she protested that she wasn’t cold, he LIED and said that he was hot. Why did he lie?  He did it to allow her to SALVAGE her pride after the relentless jokes on her abysmal dating life. He didn’t make her the object of spectacle and the object of his jokes.  And that’s good sign for a husband.   

Personally, I find those jumbo-tron proposals during baseball/basketball games VERY inconsiderate. You know what I'm talking about? 

The guy suddenly kneels down, pulls out a ring and proposes with thousands of spectators watching them and waiting to see if she’ll say yes. It’s VERY inconsiderate because the pressure is on the girl to say yes, even when she’s feeling hesitant, unsure or just plain awkward. In some cases, a public proposal can be regarded as emotional blackmail because the girl is being forced – or placed on the spot – to reciprocate the guy’s feelings.  Personally, I recommend intimate, private proposals with only the girl and the boy, with none of their family members and friends present as witnesses.  

Lastly, who do I think is Forrest Gump? Since everybody must have an opinion on this, let me state mine then. I don't need a second invitation, really. :)

I know I’m going to hear howls and shrieks here from the peanut gallery, but you have to hear me out. On the surface, FG = JH. He was watching the movie with DR when he had an epiphany; then, he had his vehicle streak through the empty streets of Seoul. However, if you scratch beneath the surface, FG = TK. The first clue was of course TK’s standing in front of DS gasping for breath. We’re given the impression that he had the run of his life, although we didn't actually see him running. Curious, eh? 

But there are also personality traits that link TK to FG …. and the costume. lol.  

For instance, both FG and TK are stoooopid. lol. What’s the famous line from Forrest Gump? "Stupid is as stupid does."  Now, how was TK described in the introduction? He was described as a genius at playing Baduk, “but what’s he going to do with that, when he’s an IDIOT when it comes to anything else?” 

Also, FG was patient and calm, exactly like TK. They both have a soft but monotonous way of speaking; they can’t sound like they’re hard to ruffle. When the TV baduk interview went far longer than the stipulated 30 minutes, TK didn’t shout like a divo at his manager’s incompetence. When he discovered that JH hid a secret from him, he felt betrayed but he didn’t strike back at JH. [I would have.] JH’s frustration at TK’s innate goodness made him wish that TK was a jerk. 

Then, FG was intuitive. He can sense the emotions of the people and empathize with them. DR might be wise for his age and observant, but TK has the ability to sense what isn’t verbally expressed and empathize. That was how he was able to talk with DS’ dad about deceased mothers, to assure his Dad to remarry, and to voice concern over JH’s mom’s worry. Also, he of all of the guys understood DS’ need to nurture and take care of the weak [clue: the dead birds from the Olympic games] Hence, he lied about his chopstick skills, his being cold, his financial management skills.  

There was also FG’s popularity. He became a media sensation because of his running abilities. In TK’s case, it’s obviously baduk.  

And if you youtube the childhood story of Jenny and Forrest Gump, there was this scene when three boys chased the handicapped FG, and Jenny shouted at him to “Run! Forest! Run!” This scene echoed the vignette in Reply 1988 showing the first time the gang of four met TK. The three boys were all naughty and they scared the introverted TK, Suddenly, DS appeared on the other side of the truck and gave him a fish candy. The young Jenny was Forest Gump's protector, in the same way that young DS gave TK a piggy back ride. 

Lastly, the costume. lol. Many of you are probably too young to remember this, but when the movie Forrest Gump came out, the FG and Jenny costumes were one of the most popular outfits for couples to wear on Halloween. The guy simply had to wear a plaid blue shirt with buttoned-down collars, and the girl wore a white lacey frock. Now, look at what the costume designer did for TK and DS. 

She reversed the colors, but TK wore the uptight clothes and DS wore the casual outfit. That was an inside joke, too.   

DD9tzC2zceo9TzBffnFLPtvgXAG4-5dDcb9MB4Tj

So those are my reasons for saying TK = FG. 

Enjoy the show tonight.
-packmule3

-packmule3

This is the missing photo.Posting on behalf of @moonkeeper.

Inline image 1

• Like 6

@salz thank you chingu <3

Thanks @moonkeeper and PM3 for another amazing analysis, this makes me realize how much Taek cares and loves DS more than JH.

JH and Taek were both there when DS showed up in her "not-for-dating" clothes, both of them questioned it when DR pointed out she must be dumbed again but only Taek scanned her up and down and seemed unsatisfied with her answer, JH did wonder it too (his face showed it) but he brushed it off.

Only after he saw her date with another girl that he realized what's happening.

I'm also curious when Taek knew about DS's thing, because he seemed very normal walking out of rest room, that's not the expression of someone who just heard that his crush was attending the concert alone. 

everything makes sense now thanks to your analysis

• Like 2

Before ep 19,

I just want to say this thread was so fun to be a part of!

I still stand by Tk and DS being my favorite characters individually and it is their growth that captivated my attention.

At first, I thought their friendship would be enough for me, but then I realized that both were hiding something deeper that went beyond childhood friendship.

A bond, a relationship, an interaction, a touch, a smile, a thought, a word, and a heart that went beyond the boundaries established for them. 

again, the only scene I really needed to know what was with them at the beach with the chip box. In front of the beautiful view, DS looking at TK, nudging him on and he happily playing along with her games. They were a little island and I am happy to have been able to get a glimpse.

• Like 17