Park Bo Gum ❤ Girl's Day Hyeri aka REPLY 1988 TAEK x DEOKSUN

hafunohane

I think JH is the husband but I really want Taek to be the husband (he's too swoon worthy). So basically I don't like reading about how Taek may be the husband because it brings my hopes up, I wasn't too invested in the husband game when 1994 was out but I like Chilbong and read a lot of theories then too which convinced me only to bring me to disappointment later. But for those who like theories I'll reshare a theory of mine that I think has quite some weightage. I know many people had said it before that Taek is the only one with a childhood scene but there's more to it. In the interview in episode 1 older DS is asked about how she met her husband which at the time she couldn't answer blaming her gas inhalations. But the next episode they do show how DS met one of the members of the gang- Taek. They showed us how she met Taek which was the question we, as the interviewer wanted to know the answer to. 

I originally thought Taek's chances of being the husband was 1%, but after episode 17 with DS also realising how swoon worthy Taek is his chances have risen to 10% for me. I still want to keep my hopes down. I won't put this in spoilers because everyone is openly discussing this maybe I'm just naive, but I think Taek was really just dreaming about the kiss. No reason, it just seems to make more sense... However I do have an interesting thing to share about Taek's possible future.

JH wished on a falling star that Taek was a bad guy. Well and assuming this wish comes true it will bring Taek closer to becoming the husband. Why? A bad guy would exactly be what DS's husband is. A guy who dated? a lot of girls. A guy who bickers with his wife all the time. A guy who smokes (well he already does). A guy who would possibly lie about not peeking at his wife's diary (not that he hasn't already). Plus as they always say in drama's bad boys are popular with the girls, a second lead is usually the kind fairy godmother type. So who knows, JH's wish may actually bring Taek closer to DS.

• Like 12

I rewatched the 1994 scenes and there's something that skipped my attention before.  The way JH walked in his uniform, it's like he's marching and something came to my mind.  Military men have certain set of rules that they have to follow.  They supposed to have  short hair and it doesn't gel with 2015 hubby. In 2015,  they're just 45 years old so he might have higher rank position in military but 2015 hubby does not show any sign of it.  Unless he retired early and choose other path of career after that. #stillteamlowexpextation

• Like 13

10 minutes ago, alayna said:

I rewatched the 1994 scenes and there's something that skipped my attention before.  The way JH walked in his uniform, it's like he's marching and something came to my mind.  Military men have certain set of rules that they have to follow.  They supposed to have  short hair and it doesn't gel with 2015 hubby. In 2015,  they're just 45 years old so he might have higher rank position in military but 2015 hubby does not show any sign of it.  Unless he retired early and choose other path of career after that. #stillteamlowexpextation

what you say make me think of my cousin, who's a US Marine soldier. I am not sure if JH is in military yet but from the way he marched, I at least 50% believe so.

What I want to say is my cousin always sits, stands, basically does everything like he's in military even after he discharged. He sits with straight back, hands on laps, open shoulder, head high. While walking, if he wants to turn left, he'd stop and turn his whole body to the left then walks...etc..

JH does exactly the same, I mean he marched on the way back home, clearly it had become his habit marching like that. The 2015 husband, otherwise, seems very laid back: leaning on the couch, leg on... so not military.

I also think that JH's love story is conveyed in ep 6-7 ( i dont' remember which one) in which DS narrated about we should grab a chance and don't waste our time. JH missed his timing, and that's the reason he lost his first love.

• Like 15

12 hours ago, lyonesse said:

ok guys, i'm sooo sorry for being a party pooper. one thing keeps bugging my mind. IF the kiss is not a dream, then it is not good for our ship. I mean, how can DS be so casual towards uri taekkie after that kiss? does she confirm that she feels nothing after the kiss? this really dissapoapoints me. now i really wish that the kiss is just a dream, so there would be still a chance for our ship to be together.

Here's the thing, we don't know if it's a real or a "dream" kiss yet. And let's assume they really kiss, there're still so many reasons explaining why DS still acts normally toward Taek. Taekie comes for the kiss when he's under influence cux we see him taking his medicine before going to bed and he's confused about the kiss later on. And I bet DS is fully aware of it. So she must question herself whether it's him really liking and kissing her passionately or it's just his impulsive moment caused by drug. She's already mistaken twice about who likes her (JH and SW), so it's understandable for her to just back down and not throwing herself at another boy so easily. 2 times are embarrassing and sad enough, there is no need for her to rush it.

Another thing is, although it's very subtle, DS does respond to the kiss. It's not crazily passionate but it does contain a lot of feelings in it. So to test her own feelings with that kind of response, I doubt it. And there are so many ways for her to test her feelings before going for a kiss. DS is around Taekie long enough to know how to react to his kiss if she doesn't look at him in that special way. And if it's a dream kiss, we got to enjoy our TK-DS moment.

I'm 99% sure it's a real one. Because why does TK have to dream about him kissing her when his feelings for her are crystal clear?  That would be a waste of such a beautiful scene and add zero progress into this love line. And since we only have 3 eps left, how many kissing scenes that can be done nicely like that? What a waste of creativity and time for an unreal kiss.

Sorry for cutting your post

tumblr_me29v2JZmZ1qfsdgh.gif

• Like 17

3 hours ago, nearsea said:

But how can deok sun stay put and look so 'reposed'/calm while talking to tk next day if that was not a dream? Lol I feel like the trolling is increasing day by day,and the writer/pd are intentionally keeping lot of details to themselves just so that we keep watching breathlessly without being able to find out till the end lol.Though it could be that the trauma is over after ep 18,because they would need two episodes at least to show the remaining one to have his happy ending right? And to show what really happened for deok sun to make up her mind and come to a decision..Though I thought [ a very far fetched thought]..that maybe maybe the way tk sees/perceives deok sun next morning is how he's always been seeing her..caring and sweet towards him...so 'as he has thought this all happened in his dream..' he did not take notice that ds herself was flustered.../and it escaped his eyes..and he did look a bit dizzy too from the overdose of the pill or something...don't know.But,it can't be that they included this scene for no specific purpose..there is nothing random in this drama right..

---

@chickfactor I love your logical explanation too..about deok sun's course of choice/and hence her next act...to be a more responsible person by going after her dream/her father's dream? 

--- This drama has this pattern that whenever they are exploring problem of one person/family,the other people act as human device to resolve the concerning problems lol.Like how deok sun has been seen repeatedly as a mail-server between jung bong and MO...And all that time we never see her problems surfacing from her face//it's like her own problems are hold on pause for those moments.Don'tow if I'm being clear enough =S..

maybe there will be a flash back scene showing that she did react later? like maybe after shes finished her calm composed talking she walks away and freaks out a bit? lol 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, lovelyrainy said:

JH does exactly the same, I mean he marched on the way back home, clearly it had become his habit marching like that. The 2015 husband, otherwise, seems very laid back: leaning on the couch, leg on... so not military.

I'm positive that JH is in air force. JB saluted him and his uniform is different from commercial pilots.  Agreed that even after they're discharged, military guys will keep their military habits. 

• Like 5

i think the kiss scene is real too. lol

i guess the biggest reasons why i think the kiss was real are:

1. the theme/title of the episode deals with irony and dreams
in this case the dreams/wishes of the characters are, in a way, ironic, such as

a.) jh who wished for taek to be a bad boy. this is dramatic irony because he doesn't know that what he wishes for is in a way already true. we have seen that jh's opinion about smokers isn't necessarily a positive one, so his wish about taek is a case of dramatic irony because taek already is a "bad boy". we have known this for some time now. it's just that jh didn't.

and a possibilty...

b.) taek who believes his kiss with ds is a dream. what if the writer is making a case of situational irony? the writer is making us believe that something didn't happen when it actually did. if the writer is trying to use situational irony here, then taek believing that his kiss was a dream would be ironic because his "dream" is actually real and not a product of his imagination. with a episode titled "life is ironic..." this prediction doesn't seem so far-fetched.

2. writer/PD's are trolls. kinda going off on what i just finish saying, what if they want to make us believe it is a dream only to find out in future episodes that is wasn't???

anyways, i love seeing what people think that happened in the kiss scene. like taek holding ds's hand in his sleep and not letting her go, thus the reason why he woke up to her.
if i were to guess, i'd say that tk woke up because he felt that someone was touching his hand. so maybe it was ds who initiated everything. she probably laid down to look at him as he slept, all-in-all admiring the person in front of her. it's possible that she may have felt her heart swell a little and maybe those feelings caused a sudden urge to hold his hand. so she did. however, i think the hand-holding woke him up, which she probably didn't expect/want because she probably didn't want to disturb his sleep. and so upon seeing taek starting to wake up, she pretended to be asleep so she wouldn't get caught looking at him. i think she was fake sleeping and then woke up *cough cough* to see what tk was doing. "did i wake him up?" "is he staring?" *slowly opens eyes*
haha just a thought

that kiss scene though [beyonce_god_is_real.gif]
taek couldn't take is eyes off of ds. the teary eyes and the intensity in his stare just before he kisses her. i really felt his love for her. the passion is there. he definitely loves her. how can anyone think he sees her as anything other than a lover (e.g. "mom") after this. mom??? how could have people even thought so to begin with. you don't bite your lip at your mother. that's just weird and wrong.

ahhh i love this couple. they'll go down as one of my favorites of all time.

(also sorry if the format of this post is weird. i'm on mobile so idk how it will come out OTL)

• Like 21

3 hours ago, Betsi Soma said:

Guys ....is it normal that people in Netizenbuzz are confident about the husband being Junghwan .__. what does that make us lol

Does anyone know how it was like for 1994? Was a lot of people rooting for chilbong?(knetizen, general public etc) Cause I watched it liking trash and I didnt know that online forums were a thing back then so I didnt know who was more popular for a love match  for the female lead lol Do most koreans want JH to be the one?

20 minutes ago, JCgirl 001 said:

Does anyone know how it was like for 1994? Was a lot of people rooting for chilbong?(knetizen, general public etc) Cause I watched it liking trash and I didnt know that online forums were a thing back then so I didnt know who was more popular for a love match  for the female lead lol Do most koreans want JH to be the one?

Actually back then, from what i can remember the Korean fans are rooting for Trash more than Chilbong. while international fans are rooting for Chilbong more. it is starting to reminisce '94 case right now with international fans rooting for Junghwan while Korean fans are still kinda 50/50 about it with most stating they know it's Junghwan but at the same time they want Taek too. lol. but i think it's the first time they are frustrated with a character for not confessing. lol. if you notice, there are a lot comments showing frustration and asking Junghwan to just confess already. I don't remember them being this frustrated with Trash. hahaha. I think its because of the uncertainty of who the husband is for this one. While in '94 it's pretty clear cut who the husband is gonna be.

• Like 15

After this episode and preview of ep 18, this is what I guess will probably happen in last 3 eps:

- In Ep 18: Jung Hwan will confess his love for DS and tell her about the pink shirt. I really want everything must be clear so that noone hurts and misundertands anymore. She will know and realise that it is just a crush, not a true love. 

- In 19: DS will be the one who will catch the fish a.k.a Taek intensely with helps from DR, JH and SW (You cannot hiding, Taekie-ah!)

- In 20: the OTP - TaekSun will have the happy ending. YAY!!

Now I am praying for my wish will come true. 

• Like 12

@mrukki The thing you mentioned about JH's wish, I believe that has come true already. When I rewatched the series some days ago there was a scene of the 3 boys eating lunch at school before they had to play soccer (I think it was episode 2 or 3) and SW asked why does JH think the bully sunbae or probably someone else (I forgot sorry) is a good person and he answered because he doesn't smoke.  And remember when he was alone gazing at the stars, the camera pans straight to his face where he reacts to seeing TK smoke, so in a way, TK has become a bad guy. Now whether it will bring DS and TK together is something I don't know. But on another note since JH kinda think bad guys smoke, doesn't that already hint that he won't smoke?? Haha idk.

I don't want to 100% rejoice yet for TK because there're still some episodes left but even though I can sense that JH seems to be the husband, I feel like there's a big lack in having moments between him and DS. Sure they have shared some cute moments together but they weren't really like moments between TK and DS. True, JH and DS saw each other in a different light at some point but that only happened once for each. The first time was at the narrow alley when JH felt attraction towards DS upon realizing that she is a girl (because for the longest time, JH probably saw DS is someone who is like a boy. Remember his diary). The otherone was when DS did the feelings confirmation thing, before she probably just thought of JH as someone who annoys her but after hearing his answer she realized that he saw her as a woman and that made her feel special. Now in regards to TK and DS, they saw each other's different side many times. In their China trip, TK realized how well DS took care of her and she did it all unnoticed which made it more touching and it showed that she is really a capable person with a warm heart. Now for DS, she witnessed the world that TK goes to whenever he's not in their neighborhood. How he was more mature, respected, strong, amazing and the smoking (lol). When DS broke down after facing the flasher, TK was there and saw here at her weakest and was entrusted to keep what happened a secret. And even though DS wasn't really seriously thinking about it, she saw TK as a man when he protected her from getting hit by the ball and later on had her heart flutter when TK carried her like it was nothing back at the field. I think JH had more meaningful moments with TK :)) like the time he thanked TK for helping his dad, and when the two of them found out they like the same girl and backed out for the other one's sake.

• Like 13

@Meliere I LOVE YOUR POST!! hahahaha SO detailed and your Description for Taekie's princess carry scenes had me ROFL... 

I think also the reason that DS hesitated to get on Taek's back was... she was afraid that he was going to think she is heavy. DR had repeatedly mentioned that right from the start... and so she was so torn to get on his back but be afraid that he wasn't able to carry her and they both end up being super embarrassed... lol She didn't know about his incredible upper body strength yet... LOL 

• Like 12

12 minutes ago, Meliere said:

OMG you guys ... I don't even know what to say about this episode .. like asdfjhkjhsfkjhsadf. Instead I give you a picture:

I don't really have anything coherent to say .. just a bundle of feels and some scattered observations:

Is the kiss real?

Like everyone here, I think so, yes. Aside from nearly ripping off my shirt and howling at the sky when said legendary scene happened, my first thought was "HEY! that's not the footage from the preview!" I spot out art forgeries for my job, so any tonal differences in color/composition make me go nuts:

These are screencaps taken straight from the video, with no editing. See the enormous difference? The scene shown in today's episode was heavily edited to *seem* like a dream sequence: white-washed, reduced saturation, a radial/zoom blur around the perimeters. The footage from the preview seems much more crisp and vivid in comparison. I have a feeling our suntaek yin-yang kiss is going to make another appearance sometime in the next three episodes ... only this time it'll be presented as reality rather than choi taek's wet dream.

The logistical details also support our "not a dream" theory: DS walks away but we don't hear her open or close the door, her injured leg gives a very practical reason for their hot spider man kiss position. 

On an emotional level, I think @chickfactor is spot on.

Yeah ... how did Taek look so calm when DS visited him in episode 16, having *just* discovered that picture in JH's wallet? :phew: Don't forget we're dealing with an unreliable narrative here. This show loves to keep its innards hidden until the crucial moment of reckoning. 

I'm 100% sure DS was rattled and unsettled and moved by that kiss. Don't forget we started the episode with THIS:

At this moment, all Taek did was blow off plans to hang out with her on a Saturday. But the path of de-familiarization has already been planted. The Choi Taek she thought she knew was someone she could grasp in the palm of her hand. She was THAT SURE he belonged to her. But the brutal irony is that just as Taek no longer seemed to belong to her ... just as he is turning into a stranger ... she falls for him.

And it freaks her out. It upsets her. Episode 17 is choke-full of her angst and anxiety when it comes to Choi Taek.

See how there's this literal and metaphorical distance between them? When he offers her the piggyback ride, she can't even accept. In the past she'd have pony'ed him up right away.

Taek used to be familiarity, certainty, and steadfastness. She thought she knew everything about him. She thought he'd always be around. But when she realizes she'd been wrong in her assumptions, she's badly shaken. At 18, what she wanted from love (as evidenced by her pursuit of SW/JH) is a sense of validation and belonging. There's no way she'd be emotionally ready to follow up on Taek's kiss given that her friend told her he thinks of her as a pushover. That would mean subjecting herself to a whole world of emotional precariousness and hurt for which she's no way ready. Poor DS likely cried a bit over the kiss and decided to force it to the back of her mind. The fact that Taek seemed relieved it was a dream probably strengthened her conviction that she'd done the 'right' thing.

--

Our Girl Has Really Spoken

I still hold to my belief that DS is the key to the husband mystery. 

With JH and TK, it becomes a gradual escalation of "well he did x" and "he did y". Without a reference point, one can't logically argue x is better than y.

Say X = alleyway scene (JH) and Y = bridal run scene (TK). Both are romantic and kinda fan-service-y (that is, orchestrated by circumstance). Both involve an middle-aged ajusshi playing matchmaker (i.e. chasing/inducing the couple into a compromising position). 

When you compare the two scenes, you can't objectively say one is 'better' than the other. Shippers will have emotional preferences. But given they are mirror images in basic setup, we'll need another frame of reference. This is where baby girl DS becomes so important.

Whereas the alleyway scene was all about JH's perspective and reaction (loss of sleep, sexual awakening, driven to distraction by DS), the bridal run scene is all about DS's perspective and reaction. The camera loves her at this moment, and we're given a nice reversal. The past episodes have focused so heavily on the boys' feelings for her that her inner heart seems at times unreadable. But not for this scene. We experience the entire moment through her heart and through her eyes. Look at her expressive face  ... look at her eyes (vulnerable, taeken, soft):

Ironically, Taek is the emotionally vague one here. We're use to seeing him emote and emote and emote on screen. But interesting directorial choice for this scene: PBG was obviously told to keep a straight face so there's no doubt that this is Deok Sun's moment of revelation. See what a contrast they make? His eyes are straight ahead. Her eyes are straight on him. 

Other things to consider:

• The scene replays her gasp twice
  • And remember: eyes don't lie.

--

What About the Air Couple?

When they first appeared on screen I did panic. Cuz you gotta admit they look super hot in uniform. And the matchy matchiness is corny but super tantalizing and cute. 

But thematically it all ties back to JH/DS being represented by modes of transportation, and how the two are like ships passing each other in the dark of night. It's also been confirmed that JH is wearing an air force academy uniform, so technically her being an air stewardess doesn't have much to do with his career. Even if he turned out to be a commercial pilot, it's still hard to grasp the logistical logic behind their relationship: when are they ever going to see each other? Coffee dates in the airport? But wouldn't they spend 80% of their time in different time zones? It's not like she can be assigned the same plane as him at all times. etc etc etc. 

Also, the air stewardess thing may not be a permanent career choice for her. There hasn't been much built up into it ... plus much of ep. 17 featured her bemoaning that "she has no dreams." Being an air stewardess in the early 90s in East Asia was pure glamour-- but somehow it's harder to imagine the 2015 44-year-old DS in the same job. 

--

So Is Taek the Husband?

Yes! She spent 4 episodes crushing on Sunwoo, 4 episodes having no feelings for anyone, 4 episodes crushing on JH. The last 4 episodes must feature DS having consistent feelings for either Taek or JH, or the entire narrative of DS's emotional growth amounts to derailment (the point is her transformation from 'girl who loves easily / who loves whomever loves her' to 'girl who knows her own heart'). And no, she can't "love" TK for 2 episodes and switch over to JH for the next 2. Not gonna happen. 

So up until now, the show has given us a lot of squee-worthy moments right?? Like lots and lots and lots, when you combine moments for both ships.

While most of these moments have left shippers hyperventilating, DS herself seems cool as a cucumber. She doesn't seem to gnaw her teeth at any them too much, for the reason that the show doesn't show her dissecting, over-analyzing, sighing, or re-playing the scenes afterwards (like any love-sick girl would normally do). 

Except for the bridal run scene.

Guys this scene is special (allusions to a wedding aside.... btw, @packmule3 are you around?? you got your wedding no.3). For the first time in R88, the same scene is repeated twice in the same episode, with different background music and different framing leading into it. For the first time in R88, DS is shown on screen dissecting, over-analyzing, sighing, and re-playing a romantic moment that has happened to her. Bridal run #taek2 happens about 25 minutes into episode 17:

@gerimisore girrrrlll ... you know nothing would make me happier. My fanfic scribble is very much undeserving of your beautiful art. But if you have the time, then yes, I would be honored/flattered/grinning-from-ear-to-ear. No pressure though! Don't overwork yourself like Master Choi. I don't even have a title ... so I guess "Sunday Morning with Choi Taek 9-dan" will make do?

Huh... this post... I WANT MORE OF IT!! LOL please do this more in the future, its so Delicious to read haha

Whats your take on the the scenes on the time jump happening(DS and family watching tv for every year) with the items around the tv changing(the dolls appear again, the groom carrying the bride statue, the photographs changing etc) ?

• Like 15