Park Bo Gum ❤ Girl's Day Hyeri aka REPLY 1988 TAEK x DEOKSUN

hafunohane

1 hour ago, st4rdust said:

However this maybe the next ironic life : When DS moved on from JH, JH decide to pursue her, but after Taek move on from DS, she decide to pursue him... How's this for ironic? hahaha... 

@st4rdust exactly my thoughts after watching EP 16 and how it links to the theme of Ironies of Life.  Just when Taek decides to give up DS, she starts to realise her own feelings for him. There is still part 2 of 'ironies of life' next week, so we'll see!

At this point, both JH and TK both have equal chances of being the hubby. For JH to be end game, his arc with DS needs to develop beyond secretly pining for her. They need to establish that emotional attachment which is so central in the OTPs of the Reply series. Just look at SW-BR and TK's Dad and SW's mom, it's empathy and mutual support and understanding that holds them together. Even in R94, despite all the bickering between Trash and Najung, Trash was always in-tune with NJ's mood and feelings. 

So i think E17 will be vital. Whether we see development of JH and DS's inner connection, and DS's awakening of her true heart. ...and maybe sister BR will be the one to wake her up. 

Btw, Happy New Year everyone! 

• Like 16

On 12/29/2015 at 1:23 PM, mangachickava said:

i love how NL singing of the song stopped *exactly* when the guys started walking down the stairs or else they would have pulled that the song was for JH and DS and not TK

:'3 my prediction came true 

so the past few posts have beautifully highlighted an important part...the "passion" between DS and TK. Which, if I was to believe in them as OTP the would need to have in the next episodes for sure.  

now I mentioned this in my previous post, but I think the writer deliberately had delayed/not shown this aspect of DS and TK because a) would totally end the husband game b ) would make jh fan and viewers dislike DS for leading JH on. Viewers are fairly conservative (like did you see some of the reactions to SW and BR kiss scene) so this "passion" can not show up until the husband has been pretty much spelled out.  edit: and 2nd lead shown with someone else

• Like 14

Happy 2016.

Is it ok for me to keep mooching off u guys? All the comments, analysis, vids n fanarts. All i can say is thank you again n again.

Rewatching R88, the chopsticks clue is OMG n just goes to show Taek is indulging the gang n probably enjoying his status as the youngest.

Fish bread. SW mom bought for Taek appa, Sung appa bought for his Il Hwa n DS bought for Taek. It goes nicely with the fish clue (someone mentioned previously).

Question. When DS n DR were late n in bus in ep 16, why do we keep seeing the "i hold ur bag"? The old man took a brown (i think) bag, DR took a black white check bag n DS took a pink bag. Why? Is there any insignificance? Blame all the colour theories, make me rather suspicious.

Rewatching the JH pink shirt eps, i hope tat DS will find out tat JB didn't wear JH. Think it is impt DS realise the misunderstanding for her to fully move on n close tat chapter n create a truely level playing field for the boys.

Edit. I need a director cut on the explanation on the clues tat r planted for hubby identity.:fearful:

• Like 18

*I type this instead of getting dressed for new year stuff but oh well*

sooo I remember on the main forum there were theories way back that DR will be a MC AND they said he could be like Yoo Jae Suk, who also had a civil servant parent and liked to dance, wears glasses ( sorry cant remember who to credit) now in the one the episodes a clip of Yoo Jae Suk was shown when DS mom dad and Nl were watching tv...and in ep 16 DR said he wanted to be more famous than TK...now according to wiki YJS made his debut on KBS Comedian Festival for college students in 1991...that it totally something that DR could do...and he would become more famous than TK hehe 

plot twist: DR is actually the husband and that is why they are being interviewed aka lee Hwi Jae on the return of superman

• Like 13

4 hours ago, .crestfallen. said:

I realize @hafunohare is neutral (perhaps with JH leaning? hehe) but you TOTALLY made my morning with the "You da real MVP *tear*" gif! XD

Hi dear! Thank you for posting your elaborate list of observations! I found myself nodding a few times as i scrolled through hehe, good job! please don't hesitate to post more. And I noticed that you mentioned me but i didn't receive the notification. so.. *CLEARS THROAT* well husband hunt aside, TK wins as a character in my book (by leaps and bounds).

the only reason why i'm still stubborn about JH being the husband is because that's what i've believed since the earliest episodes and because of my familiarity with the franchise (i watched the previous two, and R1997 is the first kdrama i watched from start to finish. also the first k-drama i've rewatched at least 8 times. i also got chilbong-ed when watching R1994 even though i know that it's doomed from the start hehe). but i'd probably be the HAPPIEST person in this thread (and automatically in that thread as well) if the endgame is TK- DS. lol #shipalltheships #iregretnothing. there's this tingling in me that wants my guess to be proven wrong so, so bad... maybe it's because TK is such a fresh breeze of a character or maybe because i personally think that the bickering trope is getting redundant in the Reply universe (my first reaction when i saw JH and DS interact for the first time: "errr.. this again??"). so the best thing for a two-timer like me is the ACCEPTANCE that i got from everyone of you in this thread. and that's why I LEGIT LUFF THIS THREAD SO MUCH <3  *GROUPHUG*

Hide contents

In this sense, a shipper's preference may speak more to the kind of love they prefer than the quality of their contender. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that many of Taek's fans are older (college, post-collegiate with careers, mothers--many teen fans mention that their parents prefer Taek while they prefer JH)?. I wonder if it's that we've reached an age where we want something that's more realistic and subdued with the ability to endure over time. But there was once a time when our hearts skipped a beat as we unexpectedly ran into our crushes, when we walked the long way to class just to see a certain someone, and when any sign of acceptance meant the world to our fragile young hearts. And some people have actually had such interactions develop into solid long-term relationships. So all is possible, and all is valuable to the experience of the human heart.

well, i don't know about everybody else but i just turned 20 three months ago. so it's not so much that i've reached that age where i want something more realistic.. it's more like.. i think, and this is just me... for a show that can portray realistic human interactions and relationships so well, i personally think that the alley scene, the bus scene, and the entering-the-wrong-room scene for whatever reasons are too good to be true, y'know? (those scenes scream standard k-drama cliches for me but what do i know). i realized that those scenes are there for a purpose or two other than mere fanservice, but i still can't get fully onboard with the too many coincidences sometimes. i mean, i know you mentioned about TK-DS needing "passion"... but i hope that if/ when we're given a passionate scene between the two, i fervently hope that it's at least not as cliche as some of what i had seen with JH and DS (another life's irony: those scenes= one of the reasons why i picked JH as the endgame. lol) 

i know it's been brushed off by some people many times as motherly/ sibling-like, but i find DS' gestures where TK is concerned more relatable. idk if it's because i've been seeing the same dude since i was 13 or because i see my mom taking care of my dad all the time, but the little things like asking you to stay back for a while after the thirdwheeler is dismissed so you can have some alone time with your crush (ep 14 pizza scene), greeting you separately (ep 12 in the morning), and complimenting that you're pretty (ep 9) are the more realistic i-have-a-crush scenes that i could imagine happening in real life. this is why i have one leg on this ship, i guess. and also maybe it's because this drama is such a rare gem and isn't like any other k-drama romcoms i've tried to watch in the past, and therefore i find the 'giving one banana to the girl i like' more relatable than 'protecting her with my body until my arm veins protrude in a crowded bus.' 

so THANK YOU for the list of scenes you posted because it highlights the preciousness and real-life-like nature of their relationship. *off to watch old episodes again to ease the pain of no broadcast* :) 

• Like 19

Guest aoikarin
5 hours ago, nearsea said:

@aoikarin I noticed that too,while the episode was running.I found that episode to be somewhat full of mysteries.Deok Sung gets to experience for the first time how taek is in the real life,and seemed like she was so in awe of him.I wonder if we'd get a flashback to how deok sun felt during that time at all.But notice when she comes back,that awkward feeling is gone.But whenever taek comes closer to deok sun,we see that puzzled look on her face again.Either she feels something,or she's just shocked.Seriously they need to do a full fledged episode focused on deok sun's feeling.

Agree.. so far, I couldn't figure out what's in her mind watching those expressions and her body language. And it's very difficult to read that scene and what comes between the plot.. I really want to see her feelings and that's the most important to determine her true love.. either Taek or JH.

However, I'm happy with the fact that the triangle love among DS, Taek and JH is quite conservative. The fact that the show tones down the physical skinship between DS-JH (they keep sexual tension minimum between them right after Taek emerged as candidate) and same as DS-Taek is very consistent and suitable with the ea  88.  I'm glad that there's no force one sided kisses since we don't know exactly how DS's feeling for the boys. I'm happy with the show's rhythm (i'm not complaining the show slows at all) I really enjoy it because it's so real and consistent with the era.  (However, Ironically for JB-MO.. it's so unrealistic that they have public kiss in the era of 1988 especially in cafe, but I forgive the show for the effect of the parodies and bring out the comedy for the show).

I watched lots of K-drama, from old dramas till modern one. I picked up some Korean cultures for era 80's from lots of old dramas. I found that it is very important for a girl and her family to reserve their good name before marriage. Sending their maiden daughter to go abroad together with a "boy-friend" is kind of a big deal at that era. It just like associates with marriage topic. Almost in every old drama, whoever will go study abroad together with her friend (male), the marriage topic will arise. So I found that Omma Sung's reaction upon Taek's dad request asking DS to go abroad with Taek (eventhough his reasoning to make DS goes instead of JH/SW makes sense and very applicable for their situation) is very natural : "Shocked and worried". she's worried about DS who hasn't get married and must accompany Taek abroad. However, as DS's parents agree to let DS goes with Taek, for me, the scene is foreshadowing that DS's parents indeed put their trust on Taek to take care of their daughter in the future.. I hope this parents's conversation will happen again in the future and of course with Taek's presence, asking for DS's hands to marry him. *delusional me*

Spoiler

tumblr_o095xeQZQE1to1fhoo1_1280.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_o095xeQZQE1to1fhoo2_1280.jpgtumblr_o095xeQZQE1to1fhoo3_1280.jpg

Even Appa Dong Il surprised with the request... and omma's sung reaction: worried, she thinks a lot.. because they are talking DS's future here. DS hasn't got married and yet must go abroad with Taek. (for such era, it's worrisome)

tumblr_o095xeQZQE1to1fhoo4_1280.jpg

JH and SW is out of question, since they have to study to catch their dream and secure their futures. Papa Taek impliedly even though DS is not doing fine in high school or not going to college, she is still the best for Taek. As if that Taek and his daddy will responsible for DS's future. Really??? really?? really???

tumblr_o095xeQZQE1to1fhoo5_1280.jpg

Taek's appa is very SURE that Taek like DS. He know his son very well just like his ownself! He's the cupid! Love his support for Taek's loveline.

tumblr_o095xeQZQE1to1fhoo6_1280.jpgtumblr_o095xeQZQE1to1fhoo7_1280.jpg

He even gives assurance to DS's parents..

tumblr_o095xeQZQE1to1fhoo8_540.jpg

OK, the deal is sealed.. let's have them marry. Waaaiit.. we have to see DS's own choice.. DS~ah.. let us see your true heart, will you?

While omma worried about her DS's future (she's worrying DS a lot, while they are in China), meanwhile.. her chosen Son in Law broadcasts what they do in China In FRONT of  REPORTER! LOL

tumblr_o096jiw90j1to1fhoo1_540.jpgtumblr_o096jiw90j1to1fhoo2_1280.jpg

Kyaaaaaaa... Taekkie's dominant over DS. It's so opposite with his attitude at home.

tumblr_o096jiw90j1to1fhoo3_400.gif

LET THEM MARRY!!! Ho ho ho ho

20 hours ago, syaiira said:

The last point I wish to bring up is what @Charmee Gregory had brought up. Taek's verbal confession that he likes Deoksun "not as a friend but as a woman". Why is it so hard to believe that he does like her "as a woman"? He specifically said so that he likes her as a woman. Who are we to dismiss that fact as a lie or judge it as confusion on his part? Where did this whole "he loves her as a mother" even comes from?

Who's that person who came up with that weird idea?

Just to add a point on this mother thingy, in Korean culture if a guy/man said or implied that a certain woman gives him a mother a feeling it means she's the right woman for him or his fated partner/soulmate/spouse. It certainly not that he actually sees her as his mom. Having the mother feels of a woman is actually a good sign for Korean man of already meeting the right woman for him. So for Taek if DS gives him the mother feels than isnt it obvious DS is his fated spouse?

Also isnt it already obvious by now DS care abt Taek the most among the 4 boys? Not just because she treats him as a kid but because she really care. Treating him as a kid is just a cover up for her tenderness towards him. JH has a weak body but she has never go out of her way to be concerned about him

• Like 23

Guest aoikarin
8 minutes ago, sartikam said:

@aoikarin suddenly i remember those scene when ds and taek in china. Taeki resting at hotel room with ds. What if there was scene the writer not show us yet? Because those photo from the future scene, ds said "it was your best day right?"

What kind of off camera scene you imagine *hee hee hee heee* *(me & nasty thought on the first day 2016).

But seriously, I am curious what kind of resting Taek and DS have in Taek's hotel room..

This?

Spoiler

tumblr_nyv4pie5iM1to1fhoo1_540.jpg

Hahahahahahahahahaha..

crdt

1 hour ago, aoikarin said:

Agree.. so far, I couldn't figure out what's in her mind watching those expressions and her body language. And it's very difficult to read that scene and what comes between the plot.. I really want to see her feelings and that's the most important to determine her true love.. either Taek or JH.

However, I'm happy with the fact that the triangle love among DS, Taek and JH is quite conservative. The fact that the show tones down the physical skinship between DS-JH (they keep sexual tension minimum between them right after Taek emerged as candidate) and same as DS-Taek is very consistent and suitable with the ea  88.  I'm glad that there's no force one sided kisses since we don't know exactly how DS's feeling for the boys. I'm happy with the show's rhythm (i'm not complaining the show slows at all) I really enjoy it because it's so real and consistent with the era.  (However, Ironically for JB-MO.. it's so unrealistic that they have public kiss in the era of 1988 especially in cafe, but I forgive the show for the effect of the parodies and bring out the comedy for the show).

I watched lots of K-drama, from old dramas till modern one. I picked up some Korean cultures for era 80's from lots of old dramas. I found that it is very important for a girl and her family to reserve their good name before marriage. Sending their maiden daughter to go abroad together with a "boy-friend" is kind of a big deal at that era. It just like associates with marriage topic. Almost in every old drama, whoever will go study abroad together with her friend (male), the marriage topic will arise. So I found that Omma Sung's reaction upon Taek's dad request asking DS to go abroad with Taek (eventhough his reasoning to make DS goes instead of JH/SW makes sense and very applicable for their situation) is very natural : "Shocked and worried". she's worried about DS who hasn't get married and must accompany Taek abroad. 

Reveal hidden contents

tumblr_o095xeQZQE1to1fhoo1_1280.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

tumblr_o095xeQZQE1to1fhoo2_1280.jpgtumblr_o095xeQZQE1to1fhoo3_1280.jpg

Even Appa Dong Il surprised with the request... and omma's sung reaction: worried, she thinks a lot.. because they are talking DS's future here. DS hasn't got married and yet must go abroad with Taek. (for such era, it's worrisome)

tumblr_o095xeQZQE1to1fhoo4_1280.jpg

JH and SW is out of question, since they have to study to catch their dream and secure their futures. Papa Taek impliedly even though DS is not doing fine in high school or not going to college, she is still the best for Taek. As if that Taek and his daddy will responsible for DS's future. Really??? really?? really???

tumblr_o095xeQZQE1to1fhoo5_1280.jpg

Taek's appa is very SURE that Taek like DS. He know his son very well just like his ownself! He's the cupid! Love his support for Taek's loveline.

tumblr_o095xeQZQE1to1fhoo6_1280.jpgtumblr_o095xeQZQE1to1fhoo7_1280.jpg

He even gives assurance to DS's parents..

tumblr_o095xeQZQE1to1fhoo8_540.jpg

OK, the deal is sealed.. let's have them marry. Waaaiit.. we have to see DS's own choice.. DS~ah.. let us see your true heart, will you?

While omma worried about her DS's future (she's worrying DS a lot, while they are in China), meanwhile.. her chosen Son in Law broadcasts what they do in China In FRONT of  REPORTER! LOL

Kyaaaaaaa... Taekkie's dominant over DS. It's so opposite with his attitude at home.

LET THEM MARRY!!! Ho ho ho ho

Sorry to cut yr post.

I noticed this scene too, when Taek said that he only wants to take a rest with DS and asked her to go upstairs.

It is really like a newlywed couple.(how much I wanna they were that kind)

And one more point that his gloves. When DS arrange his clothes, she prepared the suits, scraf and gloves. But we didn't see he wore the gloves, just kept in hands during in elevator, then until finished the game, and talked with reporters. He hold it during being taken photos too.

Just don't know why.

• Like 15

46 minutes ago, aoikarin said:

What kind of off camera scene you imagine *hee  hee here hee** (me & nasty thought on the  first day 2016).

But seriously, I am curious what kind of resting Taek and DS have in Taek's hotel room..

This?

Reveal hidden contents

tumblr_nyv4pie5iM1to1fhoo1_540.jpg

Hahahahahahahahahaha..

crdt

I wish they have LOL button like before :D But now i dont even know how to remove quotes.

Anyway for the China scene I remember Taek won 2 days in a row, thus making the 3rd day free for him. So I wonder if he & DS went roaming around the city & sigh seeing together or they just spent all their time alone in his bedroom...hehehe..but like you said in those era all or at least almost all Asian countries societies were kinda conservative. Having their underage teenage daughter following a guy travelling abroad unchaperoned is and can be be damaging to her maiden image that cud affect her future marriage & her life with her in laws unless of cos Taek's dad has indirectly guaranteed DS's marriage is already secured when he announced Taek likes DS to her parents.

• Like 19

First of all, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

I have been a silent lurker in this thread for a while and I would just like to express my admiration to all those who post their thoughts, opinions and analysis. You guys are really AWESOME.

I have read in a previous post regarding the role of the Chinese Zodiac in the characterization of the cast. I just read about it now and WOAH. It is really interesting :)

*Deoksun is Leo, Taek is Libra based on their birthdays*

"Libra and Leo compatibility is very interesting from an astrological point of view. With many couples, their zodiac sign appear to have a little in common, yet they find a mutual understanding and deep romance. With Leo and Libra compatibility, however, there is obvious attraction on the surface, but dig a little deeper and there are obstacles to this relationship which can prove tough to overcome. "

" Libra calms and soothes Leo’s flamboyance (This is basically TAEK). As a couple, Leo and Libra are well balanced. Libra lays on the charm and good manners, which tame Leo’s direct and acerbic personality. But Leo is far more decisive than Libra. Leo can help their partners to make decisions more easily and act on them, and they can teach the art of spontaneity." *THIS IS SO DEOKSUN <3*

• Like 19

3 hours ago, lovelyrainy said:

One thing I notice from 2 previous installments, especially R94 is that the girls take care of her future husbands a lot. there's no need to talk about NJ tbh, she did everything for Trash, from cooking to washing shoes, from cleaning house to taking off his clothes lol, she knew where his wallet was... (Hello does it look familiar here?)

SW is a teenager so she can't take care of YJ like NJ did, but you can see they share stuffs, and they're comfortable with each other.

So far, I don't see DS take care of JH, or feel very comfortable with him, the only thing she does is bickering then trying to get his attention.

She only takes care of Taek, she wears his clothes, she makes sure he eats well, avoids medicines, sleeps warm, and is not being pressured by winning.

I have fate in our OTP, cheers guys

ahhh yeah one of very similar trait of two previous couple is they extremely comfortable with each other and take care of each other a lot...
even Trash don't immediately accept NJ feeling at beginning even she already confessed but he don't avoid/ignore her like JH did with DS..he still hug her, talk with her but at same time start be aware of her as girl..

i can see this comfort level and emotional attachment between TK-DS but not with DS-JH

even Taek hiding his feeling for DS but he still acting and function normally around her and still be her friend when she need him..maybe since he have realize that feeling for long time ago so it easier for him to deal without making thing weird for DS and he have that maturity level that can think properly before making any move.

but JH, like someone else here said the moment he decide to step back and hide his feeling he also stop being her friend which is sad..

well he just acting perfectly like normal teenager it could be scary moment to suddenly have feeling for old friend that he never realize before and dunno how to deal it especially with his introvert and tsundere personality and there also a rival before even he make any move so it get complicated..

thing just becoming more and more awkward, distant and they only mostly interact normally when they with their group of friend

just look at how much he hesitate just to give her jacket or to comfort her when crying, i mean he can still do that as her long time friend since there a limit of being tsundere so he not only might losing her as love interest but also losing her friendship in process.

so for now i can't really see them get together especially only 4ep left to give satisfactory ending as couple seeing how they currently are unless there gonna be sudden miracle development since the writer is troll but need to be believable..

but well seeing ep16 i feel/it obvious DS have move on and treating him back to normal as just friend but not yet as close as before..

so rather than seeing them become a couple a prefer to see them repairing their friendship first..

back to my delulu land..

anyway it will be interesting if it DS who decide to pursue TK after he have give up and giving the chance for JH-DS...

she might thought he have gf since she thought he have girl he like but we know how everyone misunderstand this boy so much so im not gonna be surprised that him having lot of gf is just misunderstanding that he didn't bother to correct..

maybe the pursue only gonna happen after time jump

well i sincerely hope DS&JB can go to college or find thing they truly wanna do in life as well

• Like 19

Just wanna wish everyone in this thread a really happy new year! Can't believe 2016 is finally here. 

And because it's a holiday and there's no new episodes for this week, I'm trying to edit a video. hahaha. It's been a long time since I made vids and upload it to my youtube account. I believe it has been 2 or 3 years? and now suddenly I have the urge to start editing videos again. hahaha. The power of Reply 1988 and Taekie!

Initially I was thinking of doing a Taek vid but I ended up making a Taek-Deoksun vid instead. Bahaha XD Because those 2 have some really nice scenes together. So yeah currently I'm in the middle of editing. 

Can't wait to share it with you guys. Hopefully I can get it done by today or tomorrow. 

• Like 20

11 hours ago, aoikarin said:

I'm having ep 9 throwback here.. and I still don't understand the scene for this... especially DS action? what does it mean? Why is she frowning when she sees Taek comes wearing the clothes prepared by her (she personally choose and packed them for TAEK)? why she keeps scratching her bagstrapes? Why is she putting a very tense expression in the lift? Is that a strange feeling coming out from herself after seeing a different Taek? Is she not comfortable with the fact she doesn't know Taek well? anyone can enlighting me with this scene?

I have this thought after seeing the pictures. What if DS wasn't really frowning when she saw TK? What if she was surprised that he looked good in the outfit she prepared. Like a reverse tranformation reaction since usually its the guy that does that stunned expression when they see the girl suddenly all dressed up, but hahahahahaha this is just me being delusional and I'm just as confuse as you though I think the part where she's fiddling around with her strap is because TK is so different from how she usually sees him and it suddenly seems like he's someone who she can't approach casually OR she wanted to cheer for him but doesn't really know what to say? Idk hehehe

• Like 17

8 hours ago, mangachickava said:

since you have rewatched episodes I am interested whether you have seen the times there has been a yellow and green container beside JH's house tv ( it is also the tv that is at the start of every ep when the intro part is aired)???? most of the times i remember there is only a yellow container

*******also you might like this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA2tWK6jP4Q

I'm sorry to say that I haven’t been paying attention to any of the color theories or hints so far in my rerun. Someone had said that maybe it was because they binge watched 14 episodes of the show and never had to overanalyze that they can clearly see that it had been set up for Taek all along, so my sole goal was to focus on narrative/character relationships (and pure enjoyment factor). :sweatingbullets:

But a video just of Taek's face to appease my Taek withdrawals?! How can I say no to that?! :wub: Thank you, dear~

• Like 10