Park Bo Gum ❤ Girl's Day Hyeri aka REPLY 1988 TAEK x DEOKSUN

hafunohane

@packmule3 I guess it's because it's the setup for the last major plot(-twist). So they've got 3 episodes to put things in their place and one last episode to show all is well :)

Watched episode 17 last night. I'm on a roll baby! :D 

Episode 17 is where we find out, finally and for sure, that DS has feelings for Taek. She's mulling over him and why he does things. She really falls deeply for him when he picks her up and runs with her from the security guard at school. Women are always impressed with strong men who take charge lol :D 
EP17 is mainly about romantic relationships. SW and BR break up, while SW's mom and Taek's dad get together. JB and MO break up too, so sad. 
What's most special about EP17 is the kiss between DS and Taek. Some have argued that it was a dream, others deny and say they were awake when they kissed. I for one, think it was a dream. It's the only scene with the sides being out of focus, suggesting it's a dream. The next day when Taek confronts DS about when she went home, her expression doesn't reveal a thing. Eventhough we know DS is all about showing feelings. Just look at how she responds when she notices how BR lives these days, or when BR left home. Something as exciting as her first kiss, and with her crush no less, should've kept her giddy for weeks on end.

• LOL 1

Episode 18, we're nearing the end here!

EP18 is about lost loves returned to former glory. We see DS and Taek becoming closer, JH being late to intercept DS and by that, missing out of the love of his life. We also see BR and SW having a blind date together. And BR basically throwing herself at him "I missed you".

The confession JH made to DS in the cafe is one of the best confessions I've ever seen in a K-Drama. Heartfelt, detailed and filled with emotion. And although SW and DR are fooled into thinking it wasn't real, DS knows better. Her response to his confession, the slight changes in her face, the slight opening of her lips, it all tells tales "Stop, don't do this...". The way she keeps looking at the door for Taek to arrive are clear messages for JH: it's too late. It's why he left the ring.
It makes you wonder though. If he's able to pick up these signals, eventhough he never got around to really dating anyone, how didn't he notice when she actually was into him?

Episode 18 is, for me, clearly one of the best episodes. Taek beating JH to DS and his responses towards her obvious lies and painfull tries to cover the truth shows his feelings for her. He doesn't care, as long as he's with her. He left a Baduk game for her. His decisiveness is what gets him the girl, the lack of it is what gets JH absolutely nothing.

Special mention for JB and MO who get together again. The show of relief on his face when he finally holds her in his arms is out of this world. Kudos!

• Like 3

Episode 19... it makes me wonder if I actually watched the first time lol :D In this episode it's revealed that DS and Taek did kiss but she lied about it, claiming it was his dream. So all the fuzzy shots in that scene were because he was half sleeping, I guess. It's funny how I've already seen this drama and still fell for that lol :D 

Anyway, some hot kisses here! BR and SW kissing intensely, Taek and DS doing so as well.

The one thing that keeps me wondering is why BR's mom said to NE that BR and SW couldn't be together "you know why". I was thinking perhaps it's because until recently members from the same clan (Song, in this case) couldn't marry eventhough they're not related. But I'm just guessing here. Anyone with the correct answer: shoot!

That "wedding" though... That, and that plaque really had me tearing up again. Once more you see why this is such a great K-Drama. The text on that plaque is so heartfelt, so dear to the kids and to the rest of them, it's no wonder everyone's crying. Coming to the end it really makes me wonder why I waited so long to end this. Most likely because of the time it consumes. With 1.5 hours per episode (even close to 2 hours for the last episode), you really need to schedule this drama. 

Yesterday I was forced to stop halfway, just before Taek and DS kissed. I can't even begin to explain the frustration I experienced at that time lol :D 

Episode 20 is up for this afternoon though. 

• Like 2

I love how the drama keeps answering my questions :D 

So yeah, BR and SW not being able to marry was because of the familyname, which is explained in EP20. 

So, I've finally finished rewatching Reply 1988. The last few episodes were awesome again. EP 20 is where BR and SW get married and I'm just a sucker for marriages :D  There's no denying it lol, I just love to see those :D 

I guess not seeing Taek and DS' marriage is kinda made a bit better by the BR/SW marriage but I still feel left out, just like I did the first time I watched it.

The ending of R88 feels like a real ending. "Goodbye Ssangmundong" like DS said. It really feels that way. It may be because I took such a long time to rewatch this, but it does feel like saying goodbye to a good friend. It might also be because the characters in this K-Drama are so incredibly well developed that it feels that way. Eventhough K-Dramas have a tendency to develope their characters into deep, rich persons you can identify with (well, with the poor character in the K-Drama usually...), Reply 1988 really takes it too a new level. Once again I'm left in awe.

Tagging @packmule3 and @phikyl here or I'd feel like I've been rambling to myself. Which already happens much too often :D 

• Like 2

On 9/14/2017 at 7:14 PM, CamelKnight said:

The one thing that keeps me wondering is why BR's mom said to NE that BR and SW couldn't be together "you know why". I was thinking perhaps it's because until recently members from the same clan (Song, in this case) couldn't marry eventhough they're not related. But I'm just guessing here. Anyone with the correct answer: shoot!

That "wedding" though... That, and that plaque really had me tearing up again. Once more you see why this is such a great K-Drama. The text on that plaque is so heartfelt, so dear to the kids and to the rest of them, it's no wonder everyone's crying. Coming to the end it really makes me wonder why I waited so long to end this. Most likely because of the time it consumes. With 1.5 hours per episode (even close to 2 hours for the last episode), you really need to schedule this drama. 

sorry to cut your post short. my re-watch for this drama not long ago as  our  cable tv air reply 88  only after bogum  popular here with his FM. LOL
so please tag me if @packmule3 or @phikyl or any kind chingu answer this.  why can't BR and SW could not marry. (some of you had already mentioned here - :unsure:

8 hours ago, dahae2006 said:

sorry to cut your post short. my re-watch for this drama not long ago as  our  cable tv air reply 88  only after bogum  popular here with his FM. LOL
so please tag me if @packmule3 or @phikyl or any kind chingu answer this.  why can't BR and SW could not marry. (some of you had already mentioned here - :unsure:

It's indeed as I described: untill a couple of decades ago (around the 80's), it was illegal for same familyname's to marry each other. So Kim could not marry Kim, Lee could not marry Lee, Park could not marry Park, etc. In the 90's they abolished that law as same familyname didn't mean that people were actually closely related. 
More info right here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriage_in_South_Korea#Marriage_within_the_same_ancestral_clan

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hello everyone..

I just come and want to say that suntaek couple forum in soompi is the most intellectual, friendly, warm, and talented forum as ever :D

I have visited to other drama's forum in/ex soompi but no other like this..  hehe

Have a nice day everyone XD :D:D

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2017 at 5:46 PM, CamelKnight said:

Duk Sun coming closer to Taek while, ofcourse, it didn't work out because Taek grew a conscious. It's a bit odd though. I think he was aware Jung Hwan had feelings for Duk Sun for some time but suddenly, after seeing their picture in Jung Hwan's wallet, he decides to take a step back? Odd.

I'm coming super late to the kdrama land. I've watched several kdramas and mostly enjoyed them but never to a point where I actually browse the internet to find out more. Reply 1988 is the first to make me realize that kdrama can also offer some depths.

Anyway, I have to chirp in for this. I think Taek has a more layered feelings in regard to this love-triangle. His first instinct when he realizes JH likes DS is to immediately ask her for a date. But the more he thinks of it and even more so after he sees the photograph, he realizes he can't go to DS if it means hurting JH.

JH, on the other hand, immediately lets go of DS when TK says he likes her. At this point, although TK is stronger candidate, nobody 'wins'.

The writer and director repeatedly purposely shows the subtle difference between TK's and JH's feelings toward DS.

After JH decides to stop pursuing DS, she pretended her foot hurt but JH was reluctant to even support her walking although DS repeatedly asked him to. Despite already decides to stop going after DS, when she can't walk, TK carries her, princess-style, after DS declines his offer to carry her on his back.

The peak is in ep 18, when it is TK -- who doesn't even know how to get to the concert venue, gets lost easily, can't even park his car -- who arrives first. JH is left again, brooding until he finds out that TK forfeits his game because he can't stand the thought of DS going to the concert alone.

This brings back to Bora's narration: "To love is not just wanting to give but a desperate desire to give." Then JH remarks: "The punk is more desperate and I should have been more courageous."

Game over. JH is clearly defeated.

Also it's been established that JH's love for DS is that type of high school love, a first love that hasn't matured yet and focused solely on himself. Remember when he learns SW 'rejects' DS? DS is heartbroken and ashamed but JH laughs, even gives SW sympathetic pat when DS is clearly still mad at SW. Years later, after TK reads DS' diary entry and finds out how SW breaks her heart, TK hits SW hard on the back.

JH's love for TK, though, is a more mature one. Bora narrations: "Loving someone means you can't hate them." Compare JH reactions when he thinks SW likes DS to when he knows TK likes DS.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Yes yes I know this thread is finally resting for good but I just need to write down my thoughts.

The scene where JH 'proposes' to DS only to retract the proposal later. He should have noticed DS keeps checking on her beeper and staring at the entrance door but he confesses anyway when DR says "It's my wish to see you confess before I die." He doesn't mean to DS, of course, but it prodes JH to confess anyway even when he knows the 'moment' has long passed and he will never get a 'reply'.

JH never says his proposal is a joke, after his confession he just turns his head to DR and says he confesses to fulfill DR's 'dying' wish. But DR and SW assume he is joking and he goes along with their assumption. When he notices DS once again checking on the entrance, he knows this time it (whatever 'it' means) really ends.

Which bring us back to DS narration in ep (?).

"A line indicates a limit saying: ‘That’s as far as you get.’ Protecting a line is remaining in that comfortable space you have used to and maintain those rules, that world, those relationships. Not crossing the line also means that you will never see a new world with new rules & relationships. If you dream of a new relationship, if you dream of love – you have to cross that line." Then she continues on, “Of course there are some lines that should never be crossed.

There's no point for JH to cross that line now, it will only severe their friendship.

That 'fiancee ring' is a symbol for his 'first love'. It is left there to symbolize JH has moved on and left his first love without a second glance. Thus the only title in which JH's narrating is "Farewell, first love."

His next love will have a different ring, not the ring which he associates with his failed first love.

And I think we don't see JH looks as happy and at peace with himself as he does in the last 2.5 episodes.

• Like 4

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi ;)

I just finished watching R88 2months ago (i know, where have I been?) And still can't get over it. I've backread this thread, read blogs, reviews, watched clips, lol I'm so attached. I absolutely adore Taek character! If any roommates here are craving for more Taek, I suggest checking Archive of our own for fanfictions. Lately there have been many great fics on TaekSun. I find myself checking it out everyday for updates.

And thank you for all great analysis hère. I've done rewatching for thé third time and still more clues and things to pick up on. What a great drama ❤️

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It seems like nobody is posting here anymore :sad1:

I watched the show in February and then rewatched right away. I've also read this thread back to back. I wish I had watched this show years ago and discussed SunTaek here. 

I've seen many kdrama but not one can compare with Reply 1988 in my opinion. 

I rooted for Taek since the beginning. After spotting so many little details on my first watch starting from episode 2, it was episode 6 ending that solidified SunTaek as endgame for me personally. Writers were really building their relationship with such detail. I really don't remember the last time I saw such a beautifully written fictional couple.