Park Bo Gum ❤ Girl's Day Hyeri aka REPLY 1988 TAEK x DEOKSUN

hafunohane

2 minutes ago, syaiira said:

I feel that this is the problem with the Answer Me series unfortunately. Much like the previous 1994 one, Chilbong character was the most developed. He has a more interesting arc as compared to Trash who is mostly on the sidelines and is the least developed one. I'm starting to see the pattern here and I'm honestly scared. hahaha. Seeing as how there are spoilers about upcoming Taek and Deoksun scenes and looking at the amount of Taek scenes from the preview, while I'm excited about more character development for him, but at the same time I'm scared that they are delving into his character for the sole purpose of crushing his character at the end. Like Chilbong. It is my biggest fear of all. I hope I'm wrong tho. Please tell me I'm wrong? hahaha. Tell me that this sudden major development of his character is way to make him into an awesome character and far from being Chilbong-ed? 

I say this as someone who watch reply 1994 but chilbong was not developed very well. I, got his love  but it was clearly one sided from the very beginning. Also, just like taek, trash had his own life to deal w/. he had his own friends, career, etc. his world did not revolved around ara character. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, RmiUmi said:

OH THANK YOU. THAT ALMOST GIVES ME A HEART ATTAEK.

This ship has been sailing so well....to suddenly encounter an iceberg...I wasn't readyyyyy T___T But we've avoided it, chingus!! 

And i just wanna say I love your GIF lol. That sums up our situation so well lol. 

While reading..can I hunt down Pds and shooting area here in Seoul? I just really need some floater and life jacket for us to survive...anyway guys don't let others shaken our ship..we have a good defense here..hahahah!!

And the things Taek role is beyond far from a typical second lead..it's too far..at first they might have similarity but it's totally not as shows goes on...

And in my own perspective JH is like a very transparent character..what you see is what you get..while  Taek have many things they slowly reveal..the secretive background of Taek makes him very interesting character,very mysterious..I agree in those previous post ,there's a lot more on him,and his character is like the center when it comes to developing a character that's why it's not conventional second lead like what others assumed..I believe his the biggest twist of this story...our leading man.. And the fish...he's the big fish and the love story of Taek and DS is ongoing fishing!hihihihi! ;)

• Like 3

It's not a fair comparison between Taek and Chilbong. Na Jung never liked Chilbong, she always liked Trash oppa. But in Taek's case, DS really didn't like any of the guys. She only start crushing on JH recently. She also crushed on SW, which seems to have resolved now. When she realized JH liked her, she was no longer mad at SW. Poor girl just wants someone to love and care for her.

• Like 5

@syaiira since I haven't watched R94, I cannot said anything about CB.. But the way I see it, TK becomes more independent and mature than before.. It's true that he will devastate when he found out that JH likes DS but he has other things going on outside his love life, so he will back on track again.. maybe your worries are true that he will become the next CB but I believe TK has DR and SW whom always cheer him up..

• Like 1

@ninaanin @.crestfallen. THANK YOU for your posts. I'm so happy people feel welcome and comfortable here!! :):) Let's channel Taek's kind spirit and keep making this forum a safe, lovely space where everyone can chime in. It doesn't matter if you're "neutral", think Deoksun should commit polygamy, ship TK/DS but don't think he's the husband, ship JH/DS but love TK anyway, want to enjoy the Taektanic but don't want to drown with it, etc etc etc... As someone mentioned, we're the underdogs with literally nothing to lose. So let us at least have a massively fun party on our luxurious cruise-liner ;) After all, the Taektanic is supposed to be one hell of a big ship; there's space for everyone and their college roommate here. :wub:

• Like 14

48 minutes ago, nicola_nikka said:

I say this as someone who watch reply 1994 but chilbong was not developed very well. I, got his love  but it was clearly one sided from the very beginning. Also, just like taek, trash had his own life to deal w/. he had his own friends, career, etc. his world did not revolved around ara character. 

I think I might have misused the word "developed". Rather than developed, I think I meant that in 1994, they usually have more scenes with Chilbong's perspective in mind when it comes to the love triangle. Thus we see his one-sided crush very clearly and we see how he got his heart broken. I feel that Junghwan is similar to Chilbong in that sense right now on how his view is the main focus in the love triangle. Though one difference I have to say about Chilbong and Junghwan is that Chilbong's crush was done naturally over time (which I believe is similar to Taek's crush on Deoksun in a way) while Junghwan's started quite suddenly because of one catalytic incident. But I am afraid that they will do a switcharoo with Taek's perspective for the next upcoming episodes. It is definitely something I look forward to because we will finally get to know more about his feelings and POV but at the same time it really unsettles me. Hahaha. Because if he really is not the husband, then we will be seeing his feelings so very clearly. And the thing about focusing on the perspective of a certain character, it makes you as a viewer feel more attached to that said character which makes it hurt even more. And I'm not ready for that. My heart won't be able to 'Taek' it. LOL. I think that is also the same reason why some people are attached to Junghwan's character. Because all along they have been following every scene through his perspective. So either way, one of the boys is just fated to be the sad one. lol. But good thing for Taek, he has other things in his life and love isn't always his main priority so I believe that he would be okay in the end. He is definitely in a different league than most second leads out there. Fingers crossed that Writer-nim will make that happen.

So yeah. The Taektanic ship may sink but there will be lifeboats available for everyone. Just don't let yourself drown and we will sail on...Deoksun-less though. But it's okay. We'll just party with Taek. hahaha

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Meliere said:

@ninaanin @.crestfallen. THANK YOU for your posts. I'm so happy people feel welcome and comfortable here!! :):) Let's channel Taek's kind spirit and keep making this forum a safe, lovely space where everyone can chime in. It doesn't matter if you're "neutral", think Deoksun should commit polygamy, ship TK/DS but does't think he's the husband, ship JH/DS but love TK anyway, want to enjoy the Taektanic but don't want to drown with it, etc etc etc... As someone mentioned, we're the underdogs with literally nothing to lose. So let us at least have a massively fun party on our luxurious cruise-liner ;) After all, the Taektanic is supposed to be one hell of a big ship; there's space for everyone and their college roommate here. :wub:

I'm so happy too that we have a healthy, fun, supportive environment where we can fangirl to our hearts content!!!

• Like 1

I did not try to watch 1994 after episode 4 but I did follow dramabeans' recap so I kind of know the story. From my perspective Chilbong is different from Taek. We are shown that Taek have a life outside of the triangle. He does not make grand gestures and make us viewers swoon. I mean Taek slept in DS shoulder in their movie date. If that was Chilbong, he will try his hardest to make that movie date memorable. Chilbong was too smitten with Najung just like Najung is to Trash. I'm sure Taek is smitten with DS too but she is not his priority right now. Maybe when the story will continue he will make it his life goal to follow DS around like a little puppy but right now he is not that. 

The only same thing I can see between Chilbong and Taek is that they are very good in their field and that they don't get the girl. Hopefully if that is the ending the writer will have for Taek, I hope she makes the decision to end the triangle soon. I love Taek. I love to see him get his girl and I will love it if I saw how and when and why. I really hated the fact Chilbong end up with someone that reminds him with Najung and not with the baseball manager (I ship Chilbong with the baseball manager). 

I have a feeling DS is slowly seeing TK as a man. 

• Like 6

Also, guys don't worry about that article. If we encounter an iceberg, it won't be because of that thing. The article is either

a. fake (notice the wording: "In a post of that seems to have been written by a staff member of “Reply 1988,” the writer compliments Park Bo Gum...")

b. planted by the production to troll audiences

c.written by a staff member who of course has no access to the future script. 

But seriously though, for something as important as Who is the Husband, I very very very much doubt that the drama writer would leak it out to the production staff. It's supposed to be a tightly guarded secret anyway to keep people guessing, keep ratings high, and build suspense/momentum. 

--

As for whether Taek is going to be Chilbong no. 2 .... my thought is a big no. 

I never watched 1994, so many thanks to @hafunohane for summing up the catastrophe that is Chilbongie. Like hot dayum, dude's trajectory was brutal. I felt uncomfortable and sad just reading about it alone. It's disappointing that the writer created a character just to service the main OTP and play with the audience's (ultimately misplaced) hopes. 

TK/Chilbong are alike in this regard:

1. Famous / well-regarded
  2. fairskinned, handsome (JH is too, but I guess he's supposed to be "scary looking" in the story)
  3. sad backstory

But to me, isn't it clear that similarities between Taek and Chilbong is only skin deep? I mean look at all the ways the writer is already changing our perceptions of Taek:

1. Taek's sad backstory is kind of not exceptional, in that Sunwoo also lost his dad. Although Taek lost his mom, but we find out that his relationship with Dad is awesomesauce and oh-so-cute. When the show first began, TK & dad were shown to be quiet and almost awkward, so a lot of people assumed they have a dysfunctional relationship (or that dad resents TK for some reason related to Mom!). The writer clearly built on this for the purpose of a reversal, because the heart of episode 7 was all about TK & Dad's warm, absolutely-not-dysfunctional relationship. Compare this with Chilbong's entirely sad relationship with his parents.
  2. Taek was initially presented as an outsider, much like Chilbong. BUT! then we find out he's like an improv comedy crew with everybody, and the entire neighborhood looooves him. Compare this with Chilbong spending his birthday alone. I'm confident no one would ever forget Taek's birthday. 
  3. Taek is so going to get a new family. And cuddle with Sunwoo every night.
  4. Taek's relationship with DS is nothing like CB's with NJ. Hell, in their romantic styles, JH is closer to CB than Taek. Our baduk boy has a balanced life and he is not pushy with his feelings. 

So it seems to me that every episode, the writer the showing/enriching Taek's connections to everyone in the neighborhood, and fleshing out his life as a complex character. Even if he doesn't marry DS, I'm pretty sure he'll live a good life and won't be "chilbonged".

• Like 10

I initially found the staff post disheartening but now I wonder.  

First, why does the original say it was posted on Park Bo Gum's twitter?

http://www.insight.co.kr/newsRead.php?ArtNo=43339

Isn't that just odd?  I am pretty sure even if the characters know, they are not allowed to talk about it.  In fact, I think they lie during interviews to make sure the public doesn't know.  

So I went to his twitter account, if the following is it, and can't find such a post.  But I don't normally use twitter so that may be the problem.

https://twitter.com/BOGUMMY

Second, the staff person has to be someone in the costume department, right?  Why would PBG bring clothes otherwise?  But then, unless the crew already shot the scene where Taek of the future is revealed and he is not husband, and thus the costume department had to have the clothes ready, there will be no way the costume department would know for real.  But then, Korean filming works differently where I think sometimes the costumes are provided by the actor (or it used to be), and unlike the scenes in the past where the clothes have to fit the period, does it matter for the present-day Taek's attire?

Maybe I am reaching for straws, but I now wonder what the heck is going on with that post. 

1 hour ago, syaiira said:

I feel that this is the problem with the Answer Me series unfortunately. Much like the previous 1994 one, Chilbong character was the most developed. He has a more interesting arc as compared to Trash who is mostly on the sidelines of the love triangle game. I'm starting to see the pattern here and I'm honestly scared. hahaha. Seeing as how there are spoilers about upcoming Taek and Deoksun scenes and looking at the amount of Taek scenes from the preview, while I'm excited about more character development for him, but at the same time I'm scared that they are delving into his character for the sole purpose of crushing his character at the end. It is my biggest fear of all. I hope I'm wrong tho. Please tell me I'm wrong? hahaha. Tell me that this sudden major development of his character is a way to make him into an awesome character and far from being Chilbong-ed? 

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you on this. I never saw that much of development in CB's character. He is barely there with the gang nor get mentioned by others every so often like Teak. I might not be as objective as I want to be cux I was never on CB's side while watching reply 1994, but the lack of his character development is sadly beyond doubt. I sometimes forgot his existence and was never shaken when he's with NJ trying to express his feelings for her, While Teak is always asked when he's not with the gang. Despite the constant absence, Teak has always been there with everyone.

This is something so not Teak/DS related so I'm gonna put it under spoiler.

Spoiler

On another note, I personally think JH's character is being destroyed, while Teak is given so much room to show how he actually is (His character is explored slowly but surely, me happy :wub:). JH was the man in the first couple of episodes where he sticked up for SW and protected him from the senior. He was a cute, typical 18 year old boy who's curious and thinks about sex so often yet never careless about his family. No more, he's changed so much, especially after knowing Teak also like DS. He backs out?! And then he's by himself, conflicted and not knowing what to do? Sounds reasonable, but they make it seem like his life just revolves around DS, and somehow apparently she has become the only light in his world. He's 18 after all, and boys at that age are rather immature. JH character seems to not moving forward lately. It's safe to say, JH character probably has the least development at this point.  Although I understand the PD tries to portray his feelings, without the over all development it's kinda tiring to see him keep going in circle. On the other hand, Teak character has been developing on its own way and not so much because of his feelings for DS which makes it so much better to watch (Not sure if that makes any sense :P) 

• Like 4

For me it is ok Taek is not the husband. After all we still have more episodes to go and I have a feeling that there will be a lot of swoon worthy TK-DS scenes. I'll accept what I can get. And I am also happy that the netizenbuzz translated comments I could read a lot of Taek supporters comment. I mean before there was really none but now there are some whose hearts flutter at TK-DS.

• Like 4

im trying to understand the writer but is so hard like

they could have just had the beach scene go to the point where they take of their shoes but oh noooo they must add slow motion, and Ds smiling widely 

or the shoulder rest could have just ended with tk face but oh no they had to had ds stuttering and his smile

or the restaurant scene could have ended with them just having the parfait...but oh no ds has to go to the washroom again

like tbh they are taking it a step farther than necessary with their scenes and i just dont understand T.T because i really tried to like ds and jh but its like how can i with those shots

• Like 9

1 hour ago, mangachickava said:

I just realized the necklace in titanic was blue....damn we should have known ~~~~~~my heart will go oooonn~~~~~~

------

I love this thread T.T my exam is tomorrow and im getting so many laughs 

DUDE the color theory is so fun, funny, and whacked up. 

Today I took a shower, looked down, noticed my towel is YELLOW and my soap GREEN. My immediate thought: "OH GOD. IT MUST BE ANOTHER CLUE. WHAT DOES IT MEAN?"

• Like 7

I watched the first half of AM1994 and all of 1997.  I do think Taek is a very different character than almost everyone before.  I haven't quite thought it through and know all the implications but these are my thoughts:

1.  Taek is central to all things literally.  His room is always being used as the headquarters.  Even before Taek showed up on the screen, he was present through that room.  It does not matter whether he is there or not, his friends use his room for all things.  Like all good HQ, it is their refuge.  It seems also potentially metaphorical that his father owns the jewelry store.  In essence, Taek is the jewel of the block; the person without which the block has no particular trait.

2.  More and more this show seems like recollections and memories as it relates to one person in particular.  Taek.  The stories seems to ebb and flow with him.  The flashbacks to childhood focus on Taek.  Their existence as the five musketeers start when Taek moved to their neighborhood.  How come nothing of the four pre-Taek?  Why are so many of their conversations without Taek being present still mention what Taek is doing or where he is (or not in the neighborhood).  Even the parents discussions, where they clearly known all the ups and downs of each other, seem to start from when Taek's family moved into their block.  Even if Taek is not around, whole episode has been devoted to whether Taek is winning or not.

3. I don't know if this is separate point or part of 2 but Taek seems to be the great observer in the story.  He knows the parents' birthdays.  He knew DS's dad lost his mom.  He knew to ask about JH's mom while JB was going to surgery.  Both instances show where Taek was not needed, and others like SW or DR or even JH were not tied into the story, yet Taek was.  Taek notices what the gang is doing, whether it be their field trips or whatnot.  It is as if Taek is the great observer who participated in their life early, apart from it and watched them grow, and then come back more into their lives. 

4. I don't know if this is a separate point from 2 again, but with the interview in the future, doesn't it seem like the central arch that connects the stories is that this is an interview recalling a special moment or series of moments in time for a character?  In the present, Taek and the gang would be 45 years old.  Wouldn't he retire from baduk?  I think other famous players retired around then due to up and coming players winning.  Or it is a good retrospective of the career.  

5. He is not the typical second lead or character who is one-dimensional to serve some plot line.  I have no idea why the writers are giving us more information and different sides to Taek.  At some point, SW stopped being developed.  DR never started really.  JH is about as developed as Taek, if not less, I think.  JH's family is better developed as a whole than any other family, which gives us insights into JH.  But I am not sure if JH's relationship with others is as developed.  However, we have now seen Taek as a child and what happened when his dad started drinking after his mom passed away.  The pressure of his job and how he handles or not handles that stress.  Taek's relationship with his dad.  Taek's relationship with DR, as video buddy.  Taek's relationship with SW as a little brother.  Taek's relationship with DS.  Now thinking about it, I think this point has been better explained and developed by others on this thread so I am stopping here.  Except to ask one question:  don't you feel like there is a disconnect in the character?  He is often portrayed by his friends and others as one-dimensional, absentminded genius.  But he is clearly observant about a lot of things going on in his neighborhood and the scenes in China at the tournament and his relationship with Go players/supporters show Taek as a very capable, methodical person.

There was that statement by DS's dad in one of the earliest episodes that goes something like "inside Go (baduk), one can find everything in life."  I always wondered if there was something to that statement because it seemed so profound and bizarre when Taek had seemed like such a minor character then.

Sorry for the rambling.    

• Like 17

@giao_nguyen Yup I agree that Chilbong was not much of a developed character in a sense that he was brought into the picture for the main purpose of developing a loveline and his character itself was not really explored outside of the love triangle. And Taek is by leaps and bounds more developed than Chilbong would ever be. But like I mentioned before. I don't mean development character-wise but more on the POV front. Plenty of scenes where he is involved, it is usually somehow shot with him and his view as a focus and we see what happened from start to end. You can definitely see the similarity to what they are doing to Junghwan right now and not with Taek (which by the way kinda annoys me because some scenes which might've been really cool to watch was not shown to us properly or happened offscreen. Such as the movie date scene being glossed over like nothing and the pink gloves gift which happened offscreen).  So I do have moments where I wonder whether Junghwan is the intended second lead here due to the same formula? And that Taek is the main guy because he has so much more depth and development than Junghwan? However, the reason that makes me doubtful about everything is because in 94 Najung has always liked Trash and she have never swayed while in this one, let's just say that Deoksun is currently crushing on Junghwan big time. It may be a superficial crush and not really justifiable at the moment but still it is considered a positive emotion coming from her towards Junghwan. It is a positive emotion which has a great chance to evolve into something legitimate and we don't know if Deoksun is a Najung-type of character who would never be swayed when she has set her eyes on something. So because of this reason, I feel that the production might have intended to stir some confusion by switching it up to make a second lead-like character Junghwan to be the main and the main-like type of character Taek to be the second. Well, in other words, I'm just super confused and I love confusing myself even more. hahahaha. Hopefully I don't make any of you guys confused with what I'm trying to say here.

Anyways, does anyone remember what was Yoon Jae's career? I can't remember. I only remember Trash being a doctor. Please let me know! Because I might have a crazy theory in my head. lol

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, syaiira said:

Anyways, does anyone remember what was Yoon Jae's career? I can't remember. I only remember Trash being a doctor. Please let me know! Because I might have a crazy theory in my head. lol

Wasn't he a judge and then a lawyer?  (In Korea, you become a judge before a lawyer.)