Quoting

ayselluna

Question

4 answers to this question

14 hours ago, jadecloud said:

<snip>
About quoting... I think some additional tweaking/enhancement is in order. The new quoting function is somewhat lacking in its intended function. I'm referring to quoting of 'quote within quote'. Apparently, the new function only quote the latest quote, and dis-connected the previous quote(s) within quote. There are times when comments are made with reference to prior quotes and in addition to the latest quote. 
<snip>

Thank you jadecloud for posting this. I was not sure where to post this concern. I personally find it frustrating for a few reasons.

1) When responding to someone I like to see all of their post even if  I plan to edit out lots of it before submitting my reply. With the nested quotes removed I have lost some of what I am responding to thus limiting the quality of my response

2) If I am responding to a post  that had a quote the context can easily be lost so anyone reading my post may not be able to make sense of things. In order to provide that context I need to go find the first post and quote that too and explain that the second quote is a response to the first. This is a waste of time and effort.

3) If I am reading other peoples responses I can no longer see the nested quotes and follow them back to read in their entirety.

so please could the powers that be consider jadeclouds request and tweak this feature. I can only guess that the reason for removing the nested quotes was to help limit the length of replies. If that is so I have two possible suggestions for your consideration.

(A) make it so nested quotes are automatically expanded for the editing function and automatically collapsed once submitted. People would see where context might be available and expand if they so desire.

(B) Have your moderators model and encourage pruning of quoted posts so that only the parts being responded too are kept in the quote. This is the only forum where I am active that does not have this as a community norm. (I have done this in the quote of jadecloud as an example)

and since I am making suggestions having the quote function strip images automatically might be a very good thing.

thank you for your consideration.

5 minutes ago, jemmaca said:

Thank you jadecloud for posting this. I was not sure where to post this concern. I personally find it frustrating for a few reasons.

---edited for focus----

(A) make it so nested quotes are automatically expanded for the editing function and automatically collapsed once submitted. People would see where context might be available and expand if they so desire.

(B) Have your moderators model and encourage pruning of quoted posts so that only the parts being responded too are kept in the quote. This is the only forum where I am active that does not have this as a community norm. (I have done this in the quote of jadecloud as an example)

and since I am making suggestions having the quote function strip images automatically might be a very good thing.

thank you for your consideration.

You're welcome and excellent suggestions @jemmaca :P I fully concur as well. Lastly, having the quote function strip images or any attachment automatically is a great idea. If this is not feasible, it'd be best to collapse the whole quote in spoilers, which I believe enables the least memory usage, in addition to restricting the length of replies.

To Whom It May Concern...Please look into our requests and suggestions. Thank you. Xndtu3a.gif

Hi! Soompi admin:

About quoting... I think some additional tweaking/enhancement is in order. The new quoting function is somewhat lacking in its intended function. I'm referring to quoting of 'quote within quote'. Apparently, the new function only quote the latest quote, and dis-connected the previous quote(s) within quote. There are times when comments are made with reference to prior quotes and in addition to the latest quote. 

Could soompi admin look into this issue?

Thank you and KEEP ON! Love SOOMPI esp the forum aspect for drama fans. :grin:

Archived