Ryu Jun Yeol 류준열 - [Best New TV Actor for 52nd Baeksang Arts Awards + Drama Category Rookie Male Award for AAA]

Howlol

May 29, 2018

Ryu Jun-yeol just keeps making hits :

The ‘A Taxi Driver’ star is back with another blockbuster performance

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

28190408.jpg

After finding success through retro tvN series “Reply 1988” (2015), actor Ryu Jun-yeol shifted gears, mainly focusing on film. 

Following the drama’s success, the 31-year-old starred in a number of tent-pole movies like crime flick “The King” (2017) and “A Taxi Driver” (2017), which sold a whopping 12.18 million tickets becoming the only release to sell more than 10 million admissions last year.

Continuing his success with comfort movie “Little Forest,” released in February, Ryu returned with crime action feature “Believer,” directed by Lee Hae-young of “The Silenced” (2015).

Reviews for “Believer,” inspired by Johnnie To’s award-winning “Drug War” (2014), are mixed. While some critics praise the film for managing to combine drug and crime cliches into an interesting and creative movie, others say the development of the story is unconvincing and is too preoccupied with the vital twist at the end.

Although he remains humble, Ryu stands out as one of the strongest performances.

“For me, I can’t really watch films I starred in because my appearance prevents myself from fully immersing in the movie,” said Ryu during an interview held in central Seoul earlier this month. “Through ‘Believer,’ I hope people think that my acting is gradually improving.”

Centering on persistent police officer Won-ho (Cho Jin-woong), who has spent many years tracking down a mysterious drug organization, the movie unfolds as the organization’s two members - Rak (Ryu) and Yeon-ok (Kim Sung-ryoung) - narrowly survive a bombing believed to have been committed by the crime organization’s mysterious leader. In fear of another attack, the two appeal to the police. With the pair’s help, Won-ho attempts to finally catch the drug organization’s ring leader, Chairman Lee, whose identity is unknown.

Throughout its 123-minute runtime, the movie sheds light on Won-ho and Rak’s journey to catch Lee. The dangerous journey involves the pair encountering a secretive figure in the organization, Brian (Cha Seung-won), and a Chinese drug tycoon (Kim Joo-hyuk) and his sidekick (Jin Seo-yeon), whose shared insanity is reminiscent of the Joker and Harley Quinn.

A taciturn character that barely speaks or shows any emotion, Rak definitely wasn’t the easiest role Ryu has played.

“At first, I though Rak was a very difficult character. He is different from many other roles in that there’s no specific detail on his background,” said Ryu. 

The only information audiences are given about the character is the fact that he was raised by a Filipino couple who found him inside a shipping container. Though he was loved, Rak was merely a replacement for the couple’s lost son, and was given the same name and birthday. 

28190644.jpg

Ryu Jun-yeol, left, plays a member of a mysterious drug organization, who helps a detective (Cho Jin-woong) track down the organization’s ring leader. [NEXT ENTERTAINMENT WORLD]

“But [not having the background story] also means that Rak discovers who he is following the development of the film,” said Ryu. “I understood Rak to be a very lonely character. I tried to pull out the darker sides of myself,” said Ryu, admitting that it wasn’t easy because he is such a bright person in real life.

His effort fortunately paid off, as “Believer” topped the weekend box office, toppling the mighty “Deadpool 2.”

Ryu is scheduled to return to the big screen later this year with two completely different roles. In “Ppaengban” (working title), which refers to a police team that specializes in investigating hit-and-run accidents, the actor will play a police officer. In “Money” (working title), Ryu will appear as an ambitious rookie stock broker. 

BY JIN MIN-JI [jin.minji@joongang.co.kr]

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

February 24, 2019

'Traveler' captures glimpse of backpacking 

Can JTBC's 'Traveler' distinguish itself through backpacking?

optimize

Actor Ryu Jun-yeol, left and Lee Je-hoon travel Cuba in the new JTBC show "Traveler," which airs on every Thursday at 11 p.m. Courtesy of JTBC

By Kang Aa-young The Korea Times

To distinguish itself from a cluster of travel-themed shows, new JTBC program "Traveler" has found a breakthrough with its fresh format that features the real backpacking journey of two rising stars. 

"Traveler," which ran its first episode on Thursday night, earned an average of 4.2 percent viewership nationwide, according to Nielson Korea. 

Its rating was 2.1 percent, topping the chart among programs aired at the same time. The rating is a viewership index of those in their 20s to 40s that also considers streaming and social media.

The new travel show, starring heartthrobs Ryu Jun-yeol and Lee Je-hoon, is about their backpacking experience in Cuba, with the aim of finding their "true selves" through the journey. 

The first episode showed Ryu's solo journey to Cuba as Lee couldn't join him because of other commitments. After taking off from Seoul and landing in Havana, Ryu struggled to find a proper place to sleep and get internet access.

In Havana, Ryu met a group of Cubans who unexpectedly introduced themselves as K-pop fans,and his clumsy journey brought smiles to viewers.

Amid a flood of cookie-cutter travel shows, director Choi Chang-soo said "Traveler" distinguishes itself because it shows real backpacking experiences.

During a press conference at the JTBC headquarters in Seoul, Thursday, Choi said he has been planning the show for over a decade, when he was an experienced backpacker who dreamt of becoming a director. Co-director Hong Sang-hoon, writers Kim Mut-ji and Wee Sun-im, and Ryu and Lee also attended the event.

"As you can guess from the show's title, 'Traveler' is a show depicting the realistic experience of backpackers," Choi said."I first thought about creating a program when I was traveling Eurasian countries from 2005 to 2006, for about a year and half. After quitting the production of 'Knowing Bros,' the chief allowed me to start making a new show.

"Also, I published a photo book after my journey. It wasn't a best-seller. However, at the end of the book, I wrote a note that I am dreaming of making a television show that combines a trip, youth and love altogether, someday. For me, this is a dream-come-true moment." 

Production staffers are experts in backpacking, according to Choi, especially writers Kim and Wee,who he found online because they were well known for their travel blogs. 

"We two were bloggers who just love travelling, before Choi invited us to join his team," Kim said. "We participated in the production process as if we were just traveling with them."

Without support and help from production staff, Ryu and Lee had the freedom to get an authentic backpacking experience. 

Choi cast Ryu and Lee to satisfy his basic idea of traveling. Ryu is a veteran backpacker, while Lee was picked for his youthful, innocent image."We could only think of Ryu as a lead member," Choi said."We desperately needed a person who knew a lot about backpacking." 

As the show progresses, the duo will show off their friendship, dubbed a "bromance," through their chemistry for being good travel mates.

"Lee was a perfect travel mate," Ryu said."I have never clicked with someone like this before, though I've traveled many times. Lee is someone that anyone would like to travel with." 

Lee said: "When I was first asked to participate in the program, I had mixed feelings ― I had no desire or knowledge about Cuba and I didn't know what to do without a script. It felt like a burden because I've never gone backpacking before. I was able to do this program thanks to Ryu, despite all the struggles. I relied on Ryu a lot." 

When asked how the program distinguishes itself from tvN's travel reality program "Youth Over Flowers," Choi said he focused on depicting the real experience of traveling by showing the processes of finding a place to stay or grabbing a taxi. 

"Unlike previous travel shows, 'Traveler' aims to make viewers feel they are traveling," Choi said."I hope viewers feel that they want to travel like the program. The program is expected to depict how different it is to travel by backpacking rather than with a wheeled suitcase. There are a lot of differences." 

"Traveler" airs every Thursday at 11 p.m.

youngkang@koreatimes.co.kr 

• 2 weeks later...

March 6, 2019

HanCinema's News

Lee Je-hoon and Ryu Jun-yeol Travel to Cuba

Source: HanCinema.net

photo1040914.jpg

JTBC released a behind-the-scenes look at Lee Je-hoon appearance with Ryu Jun-yeol on "Traveler". The video was released on the JTBC YouTube channel on March 6th.

"Traveler", which airs on Thursdays at 11 PM KST, is a variety show about traveling. Lee Je-hoon and Ryu Jun-yeol did some backpack traveling in Cuba and their adventures are being broadcast on the program.

In the behind-the-scenes look, Lee Je-hoon confides that he had not done this kind of traveling before. Consequently, he found the journey difficult. But when it got rough, he felt comforted and thankful in the knowledge Ryu Jun-yeol gave him about how to carry things properly. Ryu Jun-yeol had some prior experience doing backpack traveling in the United States.

When asked what three things he would pack if he could only pick three things, Lee Je-hoon picked sunscreen, mosquito repellant, and Ryu Jun-yeol. Lee Je-hoon smiled and laughed noting that if Ryu Jun-yeol were along, he could easily do this kind of traveling again. If Ryu Jun-yeol would not fit in the bag, Lee Je-hoon's final choice was a cell phone.

When asked where they would want to travel next time, both Lee Je-hoon and Ryu Jun-yeol answered Cuba. They mentioned having fond experiences with the Cubans they met on their trip and discussed the enjoyable prospect of riding horses and seeing Cuban farms.

Written by William Schwartz

• 3 weeks later...

March 23, 2019

Lee Je Hoon And Ryu Jun Yeol Reflect On Their Careers And Acting

Source: Soompi by L. Kim

Lee Je Hoon And Ryu Jun Yeol Reflect On Their Careers And Acting

Lee Je Hoon and Ryu Jun Yeol talked about their careers and passion for acting.

During the most recent episode of JTBC’s “Traveler,” Lee Je Hoon and Ryu Jun Yeol continued their journey in Cuba. The two actors left Havana and headed for Playa Giron. Lee Je Hoon eagerly commented, “I’ve never seen the night sky since I came to Cuba,” and Ryu Jun Yeol added, ” You can really see the stars.”

While traveling to their destination, Lee Je Hoon recalled his past trip to New York, saying, “Korea has so many multiplex theaters, but New York City shows a variety of old movies on a projector. I really like the taste of watching movies with that projector, and it’s classic.”

Then he continued, “I hope it’ll be worth watching my productions after 10, 20, and 30 years. Every time I film, I think the last one I did is the best one.”

Lee Je Hoon shared, “When I first debuted, I was like a blank sheet of paper. However, the more I filmed and brought out my skills, I felt like I had nothing more to do. The more you act, the harder it gets.”

Ryu Jun Yeol responded, “I haven’t been acting for a long time, but I have a life that I’ve built up until the age of 34. My life was concentrated, and the more I did my work, the more I felt like I was writing out my life experience. As I did a lot of work later, I was confused because I didn’t have anything to write out.”

Then he added, “I thought my limitations would show if this continued. But while traveling or having other experiences, I get a lot of new inspiration. When that happens, it feels like a void is being filled.”

Lee Je Hoon said, “It’s important to gain new experiences while taking time off, but I don’t have any special hobbies. When I watch a good movie during hard times, passion suddenly burns in my heart. I feel like I’m gaining experiences while watching movies.”

Spoiler

lee-je-hoon-ryu-jun-yeol.jpg

Source (1)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just found the time to watch Traveler.

I dont know if someone has bring this up here or not before. I am curious why Jun Yeol used the name Anthony as his name, which is ridiculous, it is the name of his girlfriend's ex, Tony Ahn also can be said Ahn Tony :lol: . Then it's more suspicious he seemed want to correct how to pronounce Anthony just like korean pronounce "Ahn Tony", when Je Hoon pronounced it like westerner (in eps 7 minutes 31:24). Is it just me or... :sweatingbullets:

Edited by milolava

August 28. 2019

Kim Tae-ri, Ryu Jun-yeol to Reunite in Sci-Fi Flick

Source: The Chosun Ilbo

2019082800841_0.jpg
Kim Tae-ri (left) and Ryu Jun-yeol

Kim Tae-ri and Ryu Jun-yeol will appear in a sci-fi crime film by director Choi Dong-hoon, their management agencies said on Tuesday.

It will be their second project together after last year's drama "Little Forest".

Set in the present day, the two-part film will tell the story of aliens living in Korea. It is already generating a lot of buzz, as it is Choi's first film in some five years since "Assassination" in 2015, which drew over 10 million viewers.

Kim is currently shooting another big-budget sci-fi film, tentatively titled "Lightning Ship."

Ryu is taking some time off after the release of his latest war film, "The Battle: Roar to Victory," earlier this month.

Shooting for the new film will begin next year.

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2019 at 12:11 AM, milolava said:

I just found the time to watch Traveler.

I dont know if someone has bring this up here or not before. I am curious why Jun Yeol used the name Anthony as his name, which is ridiculous, it is the name of his girlfriend's ex, Tony Ahn also can be said Ahn Tony :lol: . Then it's more suspicious he seemed want to correct how to pronounce Anthony just like korean pronounce "Ahn Tony", when Je Hoon pronounced it like westerner (in eps 7 minutes 31:24). Is it just me or... :sweatingbullets:

it's his baptism name.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello everyone!

I recently watched Reply 1988 and read through this whole forum!  Ryu Jun Yeol has a vlog on YouTube!  If you go to YouTube and search for "ryu jun yeol vlog", you will find 7 episodes (1 teaser and 6 episodes).  All the vlogs have English subtitles.  Apparently he was in Los Angeles taking a business course or something so that is what these vlogs are about.  Very entertaining! 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone, i recently watched reply1988 (during April) and it is my first korean drama and fangirling ryu jun yeol almost immediately, been reading soompi forum related to ryu jun yeol (main thread, couple thread and this) and i wonder why the hype about ryu jun yeol kinda stop for the last 1-2 years? Did i miss something? Because in my country a lot of people started watching reply88 during quarantine time and but when i check on ig fan account (except Ryushasha) their last update is around 2017-2018, eyesonryu also not update anymore, is there any scandal that i don’t know regarding rjy or the hype kinda just die down? Thank you

On 6/7/2020 at 7:17 PM, Trudy07 said:

Hi everyone, i recently watched reply1988 (during April) and it is my first korean drama and fangirling ryu jun yeol almost immediately, been reading soompi forum related to ryu jun yeol (main thread, couple thread and this) and i wonder why the hype about ryu jun yeol kinda stop for the last 1-2 years? Did i miss something? Because in my country a lot of people started watching reply88 during quarantine time and but when i check on ig fan account (except Ryushasha) their last update is around 2017-2018, eyesonryu also not update anymore, is there any scandal that i don’t know regarding rjy or the hype kinda just die down? Thank you

yeah i just started watching r88 too and also wondering why posts about rjy and hyeri sort of died down in the recent years.. are they still together? 

• 9 months later...

I know most of RJY follower had moved out from this site to different platform lol.

I just trying to update some of his news while i have the time.

On 6/14/2020 at 9:53 PM, eatcrust said:

yeah i just started watching r88 too and also wondering why posts about rjy and hyeri sort of died down in the recent years.. are they still together? 

yes, they're still together. they're just being lowkey but never avoided mentioning each other when its necessary.

https://theactorispresent.kr/ryu-junyeol/

RJY included in 100 Chungmoro actors 

I like the description. it really described him perfectly.

Anyhow, his next movie, ALIEN (with Kim Woobin, So Jisub and Kim Taeri ) is done filming, and he's preparing his new drama "Disqualification of human" with Jun Do yeon. And her last update is

• 6 months later...

#RyuJunYeol is considering to lead upcoming drama 'Connect', story of a man who has been deprived of a part of his body by organ hunters and becomes 'connected' with a person who has received an organ transplant. Helmed by director Takashi Miike. (Jung Haein is also in talks).

credit twitter : @kdramanews_

#RyuJunYeol reportedly cast as male lead for drama <#Connect> along with #JungHaeIn. Filming is scheduled to start in November, expected to release on Netflix.

credit twitter : @kdramacasting

spacer.png

• Like 2