Ryu Jun Yeol 류준열 - [Best New TV Actor for 52nd Baeksang Arts Awards + Drama Category Rookie Male Award for AAA]

Howlol

@yumeaki thanks for sharing your translations. I wouldn't have known that the second part when he was talking was his audition already. It just felt like he was talking with the PDs. It was really interesting. He's really good at acting. As for the Koala's Playground article about RJY, some commented that he's the better actor because he becomes the role that he is playing. I feel that about him, too. He doesn't seem like RJY (although I still don't know much about his personality- it seems like he's like the class clown before). He really is like Kim Junghwan from Ssangmundong. :D 

• Like 2

Jun Yeol is definitely a versatile person . Although he started late as a celebrity but I can see that he can go very far..he has already accumulated experiences before he started to act on cable tv and yes he is a deep person based on his post on Instagram!! 

His charming charisma is the point that attracts viewers and his voice is low and sexy!! 

Ahh I love this guy!! He is one of the actors who adds on to my watching list !! :D 

• Like 9

Based on the Koala's playground article, some of the articles were saying that he wouldn't be good for main lead in other romantic TV dramas (of course, I beg to differ). I wonder what kind of projects he will take up after Reply 1988. It seems, at the moment, that he is taking up the route like Jung Woo oppa (movies more than drama). I'd like to see him more in TV because dramas get translated faster than movies. I wonder if he can join a variety show. 

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, tituyphing said:

The more you know about Ryu Jun Yeol, you'll love him even more.

He can do any kind of acting, Junghwan is another job he done so well, but he just as good playing outside the cold-city-guy role..... If you ever watched Yangge in Socialphobia or other short films of his, he played comical roles and loud just super interesting too. I love an actor with ability to play large range of role.

and beside as an actor, I love this guy as a person. He has an positive attitude, thoughtful and such an encouraging person to his surrounding. He's funny but also deep. I think he's simply Yangge outside but Junghwan inside. 

YES YES YES!!! I like how oppa is funny and doesn't take himself too seriously but if you follow his insta posts you will notice that he has a deeply reflective side to him. Perhaps this is what helps him interpret his characters so well hehehe. 

• Like 5

Agree with @tituyphing. Based on all the reports I have read so far, he seems to have a really positive attitude and is usually a mood-maker. 

Someone posted on IG about a month back. His profile states that he’s a producer but I am not certain of his ‘level’.

It’s about the movie Ingtoogi: The Battle of Surpluses. (It’s a 2013 movie and I didn’t know until now that Ryu Hye Yong aka Bora acted as one of the leads in the movie.).

I read a translation from weibo so I just roughly translate here to English.

Spoiler

At movie premier time, an actor suddenly come to sit besides me.

Normally at a premier, we will meet many people and we will exchange simple greetings and drinks. This person told me: “Director, I appeared in this movie”.

“…. Really?”

“I appeared in the gym scene. The other senior and junior actors who appeared in same scene was shown in the ending credit but my name was not there ^^. Just… just want to let you know. Looking at your expression, you don’t remember me right?”

I suddenly felt like I was beaten and is in a confused state of mind. Because in a movie, especially indie movie, for the actors who worked hard physically and mentally, their only consolation is to see their names appeared on credit scene. After several edition, I still missed out his name.

“Ah.. is that so.. I’m sorry… I didn’t know…”

I kept thinking why would I missed out his name and didn’t properly apologised to hm.

The person who said “I only want to let you know” and smile with the shiny braces is Ryun Jun Yeol actor.

Not sure if he can see this words now but during that time, I’m really sorry. And I want to send my gratitude for smiling and being understanding.

Somehow I really like that he let his opinion be known but there is no hard feeling about it. Better than keeping silent and let the frustration built up.

I also agree he and Kim Woo Bin has similar appearance but it’s a bit hard to compare both in terms of acting. They have different vibes. Woobin looks tough which gives off a strong screen presence. Jun Yeol just melts into the character.

@amyrrhielle I also wonder what project he will take post Reply 1988. He has been doing mainly movies prior to his official drama in debut in Reply 1988 (Producer not counted). I wonder if he will go back to focusing on movie or dramas. A movie actor has a higher (more reputable) status but a drama increases popularity faster. And it’s easier for i-fans to watch a kdrama than a movie…

• Like 10

@yumeaki thanks for sharing about this instagram post from a director. I'm glad he acknowledged RJY, and I'm so proud of RJY for stepping up. He said his piece and let it go. :D 

Movies are definitely more reputable, and his acting is great for movies, but i-fans like me need to see him more on TV. Anyway, whatever project he plans to do after R1988, I will support him (even if it means I won't see him all that much. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, amyrrhielle said:

Based on the Koala's playground article, some of the articles were saying that he wouldn't be good for main lead in other romantic TV dramas (of course, I beg to differ). I wonder what kind of projects he will take up after Reply 1988. It seems, at the moment, that he is taking up the route like Jung Woo oppa (movies more than drama). I'd like to see him more in TV because dramas get translated faster than movies. I wonder if he can join a variety show

I really wanna see him in any variety show!! I watched some video promotion of Social Phobia movie ( i really need subs for this movie!), I found that he has bright personality and mood maker. I'm craving for more, hahaha

• Like 5

5 hours ago, amyrrhielle said:

Based on the Koala's playground article, some of the articles were saying that he wouldn't be good for main lead in other romantic TV dramas (of course, I beg to differ). I wonder what kind of projects he will take up after Reply 1988. It seems, at the moment, that he is taking up the route like Jung Woo oppa (movies more than drama). I'd like to see him more in TV because dramas get translated faster than movies. I wonder if he can join a variety show. 

They only say this because Oppa doesn't have the typical pretty boy male lead face. I do think he will do more movies though simply because he has more connections in this circle. I'm curious to see what kind of drama roles will be offered to him following R88. I think Oppa can pull off a sageuk!

• Like 4

He totally deserve this!

This Is What Rising Popularity Sounds Like For “Reply 1988″ Actor Ryu Jun Yeol

This Is What Rising Popularity Sounds Like For “Reply 1988″ Actor Ryu Jun Yeol

Two contrasting videos are being circulated around social media networks that show how popular “Reply 1988″ actor Ryu Jun Yeol has become in a couple of months.

It wouldn’t be a stretch to say that two months ago, most people didn’t know who actor Ryu Jun Yeol was. But now, if you don’t know, you’re living under a rock. So what is that rising popularity like for Ryu Jun Yeol? It sounds like deafening screams.

Take a look at the video from a photo op in September of this year. Ryu Jun Yeol attended the V.I.P screening of the film “The Long Way Home” on September 21, and while the cameras are slowly taking pictures, the crowd watching is pretty quiet.

Now take a look at a similar type of event this month for the film ‘The Himalayas.” The screams for Ryu Jun Yeol are deafening and the cameras are almost epilepsy-inducing. He is even interviewed but we can barely hear what he is saying because the screams are so loud.

Meanwhile, tvN’s “Reply 1988″ hit a viewership ratings peak of 13.8 percent with its most recent episode (12th episode), an incredible feat for a cable drama. The drama stars Girl’s Day’s Hyeri, Ryu Jun Yeol, Park Bo Gum, Go Kyung Pyo, and Lee Dong Hui in a nostalgic trip back to the 1980s focusing on family and friendship.

• Like 10

Somehow, I don't wish him to appear on variety show,,, to focus more in acting... kkkkkk... I'll watch ingtoogi again for him :( so sad to read that post.. huhuhu... Oppa your hardwork paid off now, I wish him to be just like now, as humble as kindhearted as he is now.... ^^

I read an Korean article this morning about "Robot, Sound", he appeared for a very short screen time, even his role was just "seedless strawberry" wonder if it's really a name... kkkkk Yesterday "Robot,Sound" held their Press Conference, Ryu of course didn't come, because he is not lead. But the journalist asks questions about him, "did the production know Ryu going to be this famous?" hahaha, they said they are also so surprised by his rising popularity, and Ryu filmed his part before he makes appearance for Reply1988.

I wish many International fans also get to know him more... I read "Glory Day"'s Director IG post saying it's unfortunate if he just famous in Korea, he need to be known Internationally too!!! Because he is very potential actor. As I know he speaks English too!! so don't hesitate to leave comment in his IG in English~~~~^^

• Like 6

2 hours ago, tituyphing said:

Somehow, I don't wish him to appear on variety show,,, to focus more in acting... kkkkkk... I'll watch ingtoogi again for him :( so sad to read that post.. huhuhu... Oppa your hardwork paid off now, I wish him to be just like now, as humble as kindhearted as he is now.... ^^

I read an Korean article this morning about "Robot, Sound", he appeared for a very short screen time, even his role was just "seedless strawberry" wonder if it's really a name... kkkkk Yesterday "Robot,Sound" held their Press Conference, Ryu of course didn't come, because he is not lead. But the journalist asks questions about him, "did the production know Ryu going to be this famous?" hahaha, they said they are also so surprised by his rising popularity, and Ryu filmed his part before he makes appearance for Reply1988.

I wish many International fans also get to know him more... I read "Glory Day"'s Director IG post saying it's unfortunate if he just famous in Korea, he need to be known Internationally too!!! Because he is very potential actor. As I know he speaks English too!! so don't hesitate to leave comment in his IG in English~~~~^^

KYAHHHHH I want to hear oppa speak English!!! Kekeke. Let's continue to support oppa so that he becomes well known internationally too!

• Like 4

Hi! I'm silent lurker in Reply thread and this thread and finally made an account hahaha

Thank you for all your information >,<

Can I ask what's his predebut activities that take so long to debut? I heard that he change college after one or two years?

Ah, I found this in instagram, is it indie movie? There's also Go Kyung Po, Ryu Hye Young, Ahn Jae Hong and Lee Min Ji here

https://www.instagram.com/p/_ULtHFgjg-/_ULtHFgjg-t

Oh how to attach instagram post like yumeaki did above? :)

Edited by finallyanoppatostan

4 hours ago, finallyanoppatostan said:

Hi! I'm silent lurker in Reply thread and this thread and finally made an account hahaha

Thank you for all your information >,<

Can I ask what's his predebut activities that take so long to debut? I heard that he change college after one or two years?

Ah, I found this in instagram, is it indie movie? There's also Go Kyung Po, Ryu Hye Young, Ahn Jae Hong and Lee Min Ji here

https://www.instagram.com/p/_ULtHFgjg-/_ULtHFgjg-t

Oh how to attach instagram post like yumeaki did above? :)

Can't answer you on the pre debut activities but he definitely went army before so that's about 2 years gone. For the movie, it looks like they are going to show a series of short films that have Reply 1988 cast in Ssang Ssang Madang (a 'multi-culture complex' with cinema - me just quoting their website). The short film by Jun Yeol is "Midnight Sun". 

For Instagram, I just paste the link and then press "enter" to move cursor down. The link will then automatically show the picture in the draft message. 

• Like 1

Hello Ryu Fans :) I just knew that there is already soompi thread for RJY..Thank you for all infos about RJY..

Actually I haven't watched R88 but have been following recaps and I love it! as a whole drama and of course Junghwan character (I hope someday I have a time to marathon R88). I have been knowing him long before he was casted in R88..hihi..this is because since Angry Mom era, I have been following Jisoo's activities and also knew about his BFFs. I have read all pages in this thread. So, yes, RJY is very close with other actors like Byun Yo Han (BYH), Jisoo (JS), Lee Dong Hwi (LDH), Kim Hee Chan (KHC) and others who I haven't know about them yet. Someone called their group as Indie Oppas :)  --> http://mydramalist.com/profile/phyra

So, we, Jisoo's fans often called them as Indie Oppas. Why they were called as Indie Oppas? I think this is because most (or all?) of them have first acting project in indie projects (movie or short film or theater act etc). They are so close, like you often see in their IG account respectively, they often hanging-out together and support each other project. If I'm not mistaken when the news of R88 and Glory Day casting was out (I think the news was released consecutively), BYH congratulated RJY after his casting in R88 and GD was announced in media.

I read that some members said that RJY close with Jisoo because GD and RJY close with BYH because Socialphobia. However, based on their IG posts, I think they are close even before they acted in same project together. So, they are close long before they have a project (drama or movie) together.

First, I knew RJY as Jisoo's BFF and also acted together in GD movie. So, I'm so happy that I immediately recognized him when I watched first ep of The Producers..haha..and also I was so curious with his casting in R88 (alongside with LDH, another indie oppa). I love that he now is getting more and more popular.

I read, that some members discussed about some his pics in US. So far I know, his trip to US is post glory day filming vacation trip last summer. He trip to US together with Jisoo, LDH, EXO Suho, and PD Choi (GD Director). This info based on their IG post respectively and Jisoo's interview in BIFF last Oct.

I love Indie Oppas's friendship and I think they are really close. Recently, Jisoo who did many post Sassy Go Go interviews mentioned RJY several times in his interviews. Jisoo said that RJY is one of his BFF and when Jisoo was asked about RJY, Jisoo said RJY is the best superstar these days (translation credit to @DeathBerry28 on twitter).

Yesterday, 20151218 Jisoo IG update with RJY: Glory Day..

Permalink gambar yang terpasang

and this is the complete Indie Oppas squad. The pics posted by BYH on his IG few days ago

So sorry that I posted too many references to Indie Oppas and Jisoo. But I hope this info can be added information about RJY :)

But I have one info about RJY, which probably hasn't been posted in here..

RJY was mentioned as one of most active Korean actors in 2015 according to China Sina

cr Jen_BabyLove on twitter

Thank you :)

Keep posting great posts :)

• Like 7

He's not eye candy when you first look/see him but after a while if you focus on him more he's def got TONS of his own charming charisma! Guys like him are RARE....and once you like them it hard to undo that LOL :P I def. didn't watch reply 1988 for him. I actually had no idea who he was. I started the series for Park Bogum the only actor I knew out of the cast ahah....but now I am mostly rooting for Jun yeol's character JH. <3

• Like 3

tumblr_inline_nzo2m2DVLd1qap9ye_500.png

Ryu Jun Yeol in ‘Drawing’ <그리다 > for  or Fried Screen Sungkyungkwan University Multimedia Festival.   This guy really outshines the male lead :D .

Full video trailer is here http://eyesonryu.tumblr.com/post/135579826750/2015-ryu-jun-yeol-in-drawing-%EA%B7%B8%EB%A6%AC%EB%8B%A4-only-the 

The left guy appeared in 30 seconds while Ryu Jun Yeol only 2 seconds. I tried to not being biased, even if I didn't know who Ryu Jun Yeol, I would still choose the guy with that manly cheekbones like him :D

P.S: Wow I didn't know there is Ryu Jun Yeol thread until @mojobobo mentioned it in JunghwanxDeoksun thread ^^. This place is paradise.

• Like 6

On 12/15/2015 at 10:36 AM, amyrrhielle said:

@amyrrhielle @mojobobo Koala's playground writer hasn't watched Reply 1988 at all. She said in her article that she planned to watch it in marathon after the drama finished. So I assume she doesn't know yet Ryu Jun Yeol's acting quality at all.

I really anticipate his upcoming projects too. It would be better he can maintain balance between movie and dramas. Honestly I really want he appears in Saeguk dramas, whether as warrior or as a hidden crown prince hehehehe :) 

@tituyphingHonestly I don't want him to join variety show, because variety image can't be erased easily whenever an actor got a serious role. Most well known korean actor don't appear in variety show often because of this reason.

• Like 3