[Official] Ryu Jun Yeol ❤ Hyeri Official Thread (Junghwan & Deoksun of Reply 1988)

Adwina Oltariani

Annyeong chingudeul, I was busy travelling for the past few days so had little to no access to the internet. But it was great to read all the posts that I missed.

I am not sure whether I'm going to be posting on the main thread much because - i)the Taek-DS shippers are way too touchy ii)most of their arguments regarding what should or should not be posted on the thread seem borderline dictatorial/illogical in my opinion

But anyway, coming on point. I'm not sure if this has been posted already but I seem to think that DS might end up working in the PR industry or in the hospitality management business. A hotel concierge? A sports team/idol manager? Or maybe as personal assistant to some celeb? It's just a hunch of course but given how well she takes care of Taek and knows just the right way to coax and cajole him into eating and deal with crisis situations (like the one in that Chinese hotel) and the way she handled the epilepsy patient in class are all pointing to the fact that she is a good problem-solver. She is actually pretty good in situations which need quick and constructive actions. I don't have much faith in the possible actress theory tbh.

• Like 3

Annyeong chingudeul, I was busy travelling for the past few days so had little to no access to the internet. But it was great to read all the posts that I missed.

I am not sure whether I'm going to be posting on the main thread much because - i)the Taek-DS shippers are way too touchy ii)most of their arguments regarding what should or should not be posted on the thread seem borderline dictatorial/illogical in my opinion

But anyway, coming on point. I'm not sure if this has been posted already but I seem to think that DS might end up working in the PR industry or in the hospitality management business. A hotel concierge? A sports team/idol manager? Or maybe as personal assistant to some celeb? It's just a hunch of course but given how well she takes care of Taek and knows just the right way to coax and cajole him into eating and deal with crisis situations (like the one in that Chinese hotel) and the way she handled the epilepsy patient in class are all pointing to the fact that she is a good problem-solver. She is actually pretty good in situations which need quick and constructive actions. I don't have much faith in the possible actress theory tbh.

1 hour ago, carolinedl said:

Actually, social psychology has shown that we like those who like us. I've mentionned it already but I went back to fetch my social psychology textbook and here is the paragraph from it:

"But does one's person liking another cause the other to return the appreciation? People's reports of how they fell in love suggest yes (Aron & others, 1989). Discovering that an appealing someone really likes you seems to awaken romantic feelings. Experiments confirm it: Those told that certain others like or admire them usually feela reciprocal affection (Berscheid & Walster, 1978). [...] That we like those we perceive liking us was recognized long ago. Observers from the ancient philosopher Hecato ('If you wish to be loved, love') to Ralph Waldo Emerson ('The only way to have a friend is to be one') to Dale Carnegie ('Dole out praise lavishly') anticipated the findings." (Myers 440-441)

It is true that the other has to be 'appealing' but it is totally normal for someone to like someone if they discover that that other person likes them. Nothing wrong about that. I think DS could have potentially fallen for the four guys because she is so close to them. IT is hard to tell who exactly because we don't have all the information really... 

I agree it's easier to like/fall in love with someone who likes or has fallen in love with you. As your quote say, it's human and makes sense. Why would I like or live someone who doesn't like or love me which in turn would make me feel pretty worthless about myself because I'ld be wondering "why don't they like/love me, what's wrong with me?" (the baic reason the stair conversation took place). Psychology also says the opposites attract notion is not true and you tend to fall for those you have familiarity with, see often, or some kind of common trait with (again makes sense. How do you fall for someone you never see to talk to and get to know?). So yes there was potential for Deok Sun to fall for any of the four boys but only (imho) if she too were attracted to them and viewed/views them in some romantic light. Once Taek confesses I won't blame Deok Sun if she has second thoughts on her feelings right now or even ponders on if she does or has liked Taek but I don't think the knowledge of him liking her is make her automatically like him back or have feelings sprout or grow that weren't already somewhat there. Case in point one off middle school cutie has been liked Deok Sun. Even with this information Deok Sun hasn't responded to his advances in that same light (I'm sure she likes him as a friend) because she simply attracted to him or see him in that way. So yes, we like those who like us (be it friends or lovers and that's normal) but not everyone who likes is we are going to like back in a romantic sense. I think that's what you're saying too right? LOL. I think we're understanding each other and agreeing but I'm not sure LOL. 

I think we have the information (not all the answers but information) but I understand and accept that some viewers don't. IMHO, Deok Sun is into all four of her friends, but she's 'Not That Into' all four of her friends....If Taek had been the one to show his feelings first before Junhwan, (timing) it doesn't necessarily mean she would have liked him back would have fallen for him and accepted or rejected a future confession from Junghwan (the opposite is also true). I know kdrama logic makes it seem that way (guy A meets and likes girl B first -4 year old sweet hearts *rolls eyes*- so she'll love him forever and always) but I don't think that's the logic of life (which is unlogical). I won't argue that timing (and many other things) has its role and part, but again, it comes down to your feelings. I like to believe, "I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul" so in the end it boils down (to me) to your feelings and the choice you make. Same with Deok Sun. 

1 hour ago, carolinedl said:

Actually, social psychology has shown that we like those who like us. I've mentionned it already but I went back to fetch my social psychology textbook and here is the paragraph from it:

"But does one's person liking another cause the other to return the appreciation? People's reports of how they fell in love suggest yes (Aron & others, 1989). Discovering that an appealing someone really likes you seems to awaken romantic feelings. Experiments confirm it: Those told that certain others like or admire them usually feela reciprocal affection (Berscheid & Walster, 1978). [...] That we like those we perceive liking us was recognized long ago. Observers from the ancient philosopher Hecato ('If you wish to be loved, love') to Ralph Waldo Emerson ('The only way to have a friend is to be one') to Dale Carnegie ('Dole out praise lavishly') anticipated the findings." (Myers 440-441)

It is true that the other has to be 'appealing' but it is totally normal for someone to like someone if they discover that that other person likes them. Nothing wrong about that. I think DS could have potentially fallen for the four guys because she is so close to them. IT is hard to tell who exactly because we don't have all the information really... 

I agree it's easier to like/fall in love with someone who likes or has fallen in love with you. As your quote say, it's human and makes sense. Why would I like or live someone who doesn't like or love me which in turn would make me feel pretty worthless about myself because I'ld be wondering "why don't they like/love me, what's wrong with me?" (the baic reason the stair conversation took place). Psychology also says the opposites attract notion is not true and you tend to fall for those you have familiarity with, see often, or some kind of common trait with (again makes sense. How do you fall for someone you never see to talk to and get to know?). So yes there was potential for Deok Sun to fall for any of the four boys but only (imho) if she too were attracted to them and viewed/views them in some romantic light. Once Taek confesses I won't blame Deok Sun if she has second thoughts on her feelings right now or even ponders on if she does or has liked Taek but I don't think the knowledge of him liking her is make her automatically like him back or have feelings sprout or grow that weren't already somewhat there. Case in point one off middle school cutie has been liked Deok Sun. Even with this information Deok Sun hasn't responded to his advances in that same light (I'm sure she likes him as a friend) because she simply attracted to him or see him in that way. So yes, we like those who like us (be it friends or lovers and that's normal) but not everyone who likes is we are going to like back in a romantic sense. I think that's what you're saying too right? LOL. I think we're understanding each other and agreeing but I'm not sure LOL. 

I think we have the information (not all the answers but information) but I understand and accept that some viewers don't. IMHO, Deok Sun is into all four of her friends, but she's 'Not That Into' all four of her friends....If Taek had been the one to show his feelings first before Junhwan, (timing) it doesn't necessarily mean she would have liked him back would have fallen for him and accepted or rejected a future confession from Junghwan (the opposite is also true). I know kdrama logic makes it seem that way (guy A meets and likes girl B first -4 year old sweet hearts *rolls eyes*- so she'll love him forever and always) but I don't think that's the logic of life (which is unlogical). I won't argue that timing (and many other things) has its role and part, but again, it comes down to your feelings. I like to believe, "I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul" so in the end it boils down (to me) to your feelings and the choice you make. Same with Deok Sun. 

• Like 5

@MrsSoJiSub Did you delete a comment where you mentioned me? It says you quoted me in my notifications but I cannot see the post.

I said that on social psychology not to disagree with you ro your post, but just to state that being liked does influence the perception of the other person. Even though I totally agree with you that DS certainly felt some kind of attraction to both SW and JH, the fact that JH actively showed he liked her definitely made her fall even more for him.

Edit: Ok I think I might have a problem with soompi since I cannot see the new posts....

• Like 1

@Kelly86 the message that appeared was just a "thank you for voting" notification and the page will refresh after you click ok. if you already fill in the informations and also voted for every category, supposedly your vote has already been casted. :D but you can't do it twice with the same name/contact number/address though. if you did, the message that appear would be "you've already voted"

i fell in love with jungbong oppa since ep 14 omo omo he's such sweet & romantic guy. not like his tsundere lil bro ,junghwan T.T

when i whatced the scene he said "good night " to Mi Ok i automatically scream :D:D

btw, i realized that junghwan only called deoksun once, when they were on one day trip , right? after that i never heard junghwan call deoksun's by her name (deoksun or sooyeon) :( 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, carolinedl said:

I agree with the above that we like/love those who like/love us. That's normal. Why would/should we like someone who doesn't like us. I mean that's begging for self-esteem and self worth issues. "Why don't they like me? What's wrong with me? Am I not love able? Am I not good enough?", which is the basic reason why we had the stairs conversationin the first place. 

At the same time psychology says the whole opposites attract notion is a myth and we fall for those we have familiarity with those that we see everyday those we see every day, talk to, interact with, or shour self and our worthiness "why don't they like me? What's wrong with me? Am I not love able? Am I not good enough?", which is the basic reason why we had the stairs conversationin the first placeare some common trait which brings us together and allows is to develop and grow feelings (which I think is the case for Junghwan and Deok Sun. Their friendship -the basis of the liking-was set on fire...). However I don't necessarily believe that it means we fall for whoever falls for is first. As I've said feelings and attraction has to be there or things will go nowhere. 

I do agree that all four boys had potential but not necessarily that Deok Sun was going to fall for one or anyone of them depending on first or third or depending on anything at all. I make no sense, but what I'm trying and feel I'm failing at saying is that Deok Sun into the four guy, but she is 'Not That Into' all four of the guys. If Taek had made his feelings known first (or even Dong Ryeong) it doesn't mean that Deok Sun would have recuperated those feelings and then either accept or reject Junghwan's feelings should he have confessed after (the opposite is also true). Case in point one off middle school cutie liked Deok Sun and let his feelings be known for a long time. He pursued her for a while (we can say he came first). However because Deok Sun did not feel the same way, she never liked him back (I'm sure the notion of having someone like her made her giddy and ponder on if she could or should like them). The same is the case now.

All four can like Deok Sun and all four can pursue her but that doesn't mean she will return the feelings or automatically like them (or have to like them) back. I know kdrama logic says that if boy A likes girl C first (they meet as 4 year old sweet hearts *rolls eyes*) they will be together in the end. In my humble opinion, that's not the logic of illogical real life. Deok Sun doesn't have to like any of the four guys whether they like her or not doesn't matter. I think there is enough information. Not answers but enough information. However I also accept that this is not the case for all viewers. At the same time I still stand by my point that someone liking you doesn't mean you will like them back if feelings or attraction aren't there. I won't argue with anyone that timing (and many other things) is a factor. Still, I like to believe "I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." It all comes down to the feelings you do or do not have, and choice you make. That is the case with Deok Sun (and all previous female leads of the series).

She will make a choice. Just as in life real we make choices for a number of reasons, Deok Sun will make a choice. She will choose. Not time, not fate, but her. She will choose. To say otherwise takes from the competency of female leads and their intelligence and self knowing to make choices about their own lives. Like it bothers me that so many viewers on opposite sides can accept that Junghwan or Taek like Deok Sun, but have such a hard time doing the same when it comes to Deok Sun and her feelings. This happens a lot in dramas with male and female characters and who gets love and or hate, questioned and or accepted, but this too is a discussion for another time. 

Thank you for this discussion. As someone studying clinical psychology, it's fun to talk just regular old human psychology without having to think of the DSM and getting technical with things LOL. 

• Like 3

Just one more day and my sixth sense asserts that we are gonna get a mind numbing cliffhanger. and then follows more than a week long painful wait for fresh episodes. I know I shouldn't be cribbing but,it is getting a little irksome on the main thread, where difference in the opinions are immediately pounced on. This thing was bound to happen , given the  famed "shipping wars" of the Reply series.So, I'm not gonna lurk into the main thread except for the 'live recaps' which some kind and sweet souls take efforts to write the ongoing episode.( I'm very grateful to those chingus.) That said, what I realized finally like some sort of a 'Reply epiphany' is that the whole husband thing is a smokescreen that gets the audience all riled up and increase the ratings. After watching all the Reply seasons, I was a fool for not looking at the actual plot and that is "WHAT THE GIRL REALLY WANTS". It was Eunji (97) who had to make the ULTIMATE choice and so did Na Jung(94)...although NJ was nearly obsessed with Trash and no amount of kisses from Chilbong (he kissed her twice.. once when she was not drunk..hehehe) changed her love for Oppa. Thus, with Reply'88.... the husband game is just a puzzle to kill time...when the underlined theme is "ABOUT A MIDDLE-CHILD WHO IS ENCUMBERED WITH INSECURITIES ABOUT HER LOOKS AND HER MEDIOCRE ACADEMIC LIFE AND HAS ALWAYS SEEK  LOVE IN SOMEWAY OR ANOTHER , FINALLY FINDS THE "LOVE OF HER LIFE". It is all about uri DS! She, who believes that she is not smart and pretty and is unworthy to receive love, finally realizes that SHE WAS LOVED all this while by her friends, family & neighbours and NOW it is important for her to choose what SHE WANTS. For, DS never had the LIBERTY to MAKE HER OWN CHOICES. And, now when she will finally make the choice of who she truly loves, DS will FINALLY BELIEVE IN HERSELF, for the first time in her life. Coz' it is when one believes in oneself, the world believes in you. It is all about DS's journey. So, my focus is only on DS and also, the remaining episodes will probably  do the same. The plot will put DS on the center stage. The boys can do whatever they want. DS will get the upper hand. Yay!!

PS :- If worst comes to worst ,then JH please come to me...I'll gladly accept with open arms...PWAHAHAHAA.....

• Like 11

@MrsSoJiSub@carolinedlBoth of you.....what a great discussion about this drama from psychology side. As someone who doesnt learn about psychology its a new knowledge for me. Thank you for a great great discussion. and for @MrsSoJiSub i really really love reading your long post. I never get tired when read it, i nodding a couple times too, i admit every words that you wrote on every your post.And I always exicted when see that long post for you, because its really give my a little new light from the show.  

@papulichan yeah...i am agree with you. Now, DS will get the upper hand, she held the important key to solve that matter too.I am curious what decision she will makes in terms of love and life..I am waiting this moment so much from beginning.Finally my heroine will has that courage to believe in herself. Must agree with you too, if the worst comes to worst. i am gladly take JH on my arms too..I will take this great boy to my home. He is just to precious things to be leave out like that. but if that DS decision what can i do then?huhuhuhuhuhu

@hailaftoh dear......i love your fanfic so much. Just from the beginning paragraph i already grinning smile ear to ear then i am screaming at the part when DS-JH had conversation at JH rooms. Gosssshhhhhh. that hold hands......aigooo what should i do with my heart?my heart flutter and beat faster just from read it (what will happen to my heart if they really do that in the drama). Your fanfic is makes a sense for the episode 15 story..hahahahahahahahaha...if tomorrow episode didnt comes like what i want, maybe i will just remembering  story from your fanfic. Is it the end?i wanna read more...hahahahahaha... Thank you for sharing (seriously i am not a fanfic fans, but yours is fun and great, makes me want to read more and more)

ps:whats wrong with soompi lately?so many double or triple post..aiggghhhh

• Like 8