[Drama 2016] Moon Lovers ❤ Scarlet Heart Ryeo, 달의 연인-보보경심 려 \^0^/ Soompi Kdrama 2016 Winner

Admin

2 hours ago, Adnana said:

@icesiren Wow, long time no see! Forever my hero since our "Faith" days. :) 

The real issues I have with E12 (though I'm still reserving final judgment until I watch both versions of the episode subtitled, and I find some time to organize my thoughts) are:

1) Hae Soo's current feelings for 8th

"My heart was already for another person" --->Is that line what she literally thinks to herself as she's saying goodbye to 4th? I'm asking because I think I've seen it translated elsewhere as "My heart was heading towards another person" (as in: HS was in the process of giving her heart to 8th), which seems to hint that the heart was heading towards 8th but kept being diverted towards 4th. At any rate, I find the use of past tense significant. That is, I'm wondering if HS is purposely using that past tense to signify that her heart is already given to 8th and she's decided to keep that status quo, OR to signify that she used to think that her heart was his, but isn't sure anymore since she can't ignore 4th.

And a year later, that dialogue with 8th when he visits her in the evening by the river. How did you interpret HS telling 8th that she missed him (in the int version) and asking him if he missed her, and saying that's enough.

2) Hae Soo's extreme harshness with 4th

This particularly struck me during HS's first meeting with 4th when he comes looking for her on his return. The SBS cut their exchange after HS walks away the first time and 4th follows, but not only did she say that WS brings back all the bad memories, in the international version she says that whenever she's with 4th, she's scared and nervous and afraid that something bad will happen. Then, worst of all: "Come with you? Are you trying to kill me?"

I really don't understand why it was necessary for HS to go so far, when if she wanted to push WS away, to get that message across it would have been enough to just say what was kept in the SBS version. Whereas using such deeply hurtful words (while being fully aware of their power to hurt) shouldn't come so easy to her, with a person that is dear to her and also very vulnerable emotionally (WS).

@Adnana, seriously, it's been a long time since our Faith-er days.  I had to wait until I was really inspired by a drama, which I found with Moon Lovers. So I'm glad to be around again to enjoy the fandom. As always, I enjoy what your analysis of how events are unfolding. 

1. In terms of the translation you are asking about, "my heart was heading towards another person," is the literal translation of HS's words. It is a matter of interpretation, as always, but generally when someone uses this phrase, it basically means that they love ______ (insert name here).  So essentially, HS is saying that she had feelings for WW, but didn't' understand why she it is so hard to ignore WS.  I do think the past tense is significant here, because while she does acknowledge that she had WW in her heart, real uncertainty exists as to the real nature of her feelings for WS .. if that makes any sense whatsoever.  So i think it's more in line with your second interpretation.  

As for HS' nighttime convo with WW, I mentioned it in my previous post, but the way I see it, I think it was a bittersweet moment for HS.  She needed to know that her feelings for WW weren't' misplaced and one-sided - confirmation, if you will, that she wasn't a complete nincompoop in her judgment about the first man she chose to give her heart to since the betrayal she suffered in Modern times.  She needed to know that at the very least, he cared for her enough to miss her.  Which he says he did. (I don't doubt he thinks he loves her a bunch, but why oh why, did he have to turn it around and make it about himself, "please don't hurt, don't make me feel more guilt than i do already". blah blah).  So now she can move on, knowing that at that moment, her 8th prince wasn't a complete turd like Modern BF. 

2.  Man, I wish they had kept the versions, SBS vs. international, consistent across the board. Because yes, what their exchange in the international version sounds harsher than the SBS. Whatever she says, I believe it's HS's misguided way of trying to be cruel to be kind.  On the one hand, there is some element of self preservation to her actions. She is doing her best to push him away because she thinks she can't handle the price that is to be paid for getting involved in the Princes and their court intrigues.  Because any person who is involved with one of them main contenders for the throne is undoubtedly going to get caught up in the muck too.  And after she already lost Lady Oh - well, it's understandable that she is being extra cautious about taking on any further emotional, mental and possibly physical wounds.  On the other hand, however, I do think she is doing her best to make WS turn away so he can focus on his own well-being. Not only has he gotten in trouble and sick because of her, but she already sees the (physical, emotional and mental) scars he bears from being a son of the King - all of which already contribute to a darker Prince. But can you imagine of he takes on HS's burdens as well, and how much darker he could become to have and protect her? I feel like she can read the writing on the wall, and is doing her absolute worst to ensure he has a shot at a more peaceful life.  [although the convo with the King at the end probably dispelled all that - after all, he is born under the King's star. Some fates cant be avoided.] 

"If i am King, will you leave with me? Although it was hard going back and forth as an envoy, there were many times when i was free.  I thought about you during those times and wanted you to be free too.  I want to be with you without any barriers/blocks.  If i can't, Nothing, not even the kingship, matters to me." -- 4th Prince to HS during his proposal.  <3 Swoon 4th Pince ship here!

• Like 21

2 hours ago, pujajain said:

2)She is beginning to realize no one has truly has power except the king. 

Me -> True and it looks like the way to Soo is through the throne ... Wook nor So had the desire to be king but the realization is that it's the only way to get Soo out of the mess that they may have contributed to.  It's like a package deal, whoever gets to the throne wins the girl.  

3) . She is here to witness history not play a role in it. Strangely the more she avoids it, the bigger role she gets to play.  I found it interesting that today Soo coincidentally led him on a path to throne. He has always wanted to avoid throne because that is what he thought Soo would like and he would enjoy. But in today's episode, he connected throne with having unlimited access to Soo.

Me -> Soo may have thought she is witnessing history but she will realize that she is actually part of it.  The root of tension between So and Wook and the formation of factions among brothers -> Soo ... Why do So and Wook desire the crown when they didn't care about it before? because of the power it comes with it and will be able to free -> Soo ...

Me -> Thinking aloud here ... if Soo was not part of the equation, would history be written as it is known in current times or could it be that Soo was a catalyst for history to be written as it is known today? 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Rosemary83 said:

Gosh people you are too mean to So if you want YH for him!!! How could you only imagine him with this evil rat!!! Very and really upset with such wishes...

She isn't evil. Her priorities are different... and on other hand compare YH to HS for So.

Hasn't YH always thought favourably for WS - for a man who thought no one cared for him, she did. Even he failed to notice that.. and went with HS because HS with all her antics is unlike any other woman they have seen (thank 21st century for that where girls can interact freely with boys).

- YH actually likes HS

- More capable than anyone else to ensure no one looks down upon her husband

- Can get her husband the lost position in the place ( HS on other hand will never get this aspect of royal life etc.. and will always view things from her prejudiced ethical lenses.. e.g. she can't accept murders even if it is inevitable...)

- Very very focused, determined,fiercely loyal

And honestly, as far as personality goes.. HS is good to be a middle class , normal citizen's wife.. she does not have the confident grace of a queen... YH on the other hand fits in the royal panaroma to the T

I am not able to post pictures at all.. What to do?

I uploaded one on tinypic. Copied direct link for layout, pasted it here in comment box..

I see the picture getting embedded but when i submit reply, it turns into a blank post?

subs are out

• Like 4

I noticed she still had the limp. So she now has two injuries that disqualifies her for being the wife of king. Which mean WS has to get her before he becomes king

1 hour ago, aypopa said:

Is that HS in background?

• Like 3

Hello again all you eclipses.  I just wanted to drop by and say I have tried reading everyone's posts ( well as many as I could given the way you guys are writing and writing.  Whew! Who can keep up? ) BUT those I've had the fortune to read are fantastic. Great analysis and commentary.  I know everyone is having a great time and it so hypes this wonderful drama. Great Job everyone!!! Emoticon 0123 PartyEmoticon 0137 Clapping

I am so glad to see that the changes to the tone of this epic have been noticed. It has developed from light and cute to intense and nail biting so well. I'm especially pleased that IU is being appreciated. The woman has worked hard to carry the majority of this drama. She deserves credit for that. Emoticon 0137 Clapping

Naturally, I would have loved to have seen more of Joon in this but at the same time he certainly has put his mark on this production. Despite having so little screen time so far, what he has done is make every second he is on the screen HOT AND AMAZING. He deserves the biggest and best award and he had better get it or there is going to be such an uproar.  I wouldn't want to see the comments if he is ignored. Kdrama awards will never be respected again if that happens. Smg

Finally, poor HS.  I mean I can totally understand her hesitation about dumping poor Wook. I mean she loves him and even though he has shown himself to be a major butthead  She, (like most women),  is gonna give her love the benefit of the doubt.....over and over.... How many times have we and our friends done the same thing?   Emoticon 0179 Headbang     Be honest... you know it has happened IRL.    But the smack down is coming...we know it is. The light bulb is going to come on and she will break that bracelet and So will be there.  I suspect it is going to take a major event adding to what has already happened for her to finally wake up. I won't even speculate on what that might be... Blush

Again thanks for everyone's comments and insight. Love ya ALL!!  Emoticon 0152 Heart

PS.  It looks like Joon's Instagram will hit the 1 million mark in the next day or two. Be ready to partae!!! Party

• Like 15

Something that's been bugging me since episode 9 is how people put down Hae Soo whenever she rejects Wang So. I understand that he really likes her and would do anything for her , but that doesn't mean she has to reciprocate his feelings to the same degree.

Edited by lunalovescookies
  • Like 14

3 hours ago, nubianlegalmind said:

Okay Moon Lovers, I am here to bring calm to the angst of the Soo-So shippers.

Soo has a role to play. She is not from this time. We are talking about the year 942-943. She is from over a thousand years later. Her purpose right now is to make sure that So becomes king. Let's all accept and receive this. Jumping on the So- Yeon Hwa bandwagon is counterproductive. YH is the reason all of the mess from episode 11 occurred. She is manipulative and at times cruel, not to mention selfish. She is absolutely NOT what So needs. History tells us, they will likely get married, but as we know, marriages at that time were often very political. It still doesn't mean So and Soo can't have a love of their own.

Somehow, I feel like this story is going to somehow affect her present day life more than what is happening over there. So, hang in there chingus! :) 

I think the same thing chingu. Even her presence there will aaffect the future somehow. After hearing about the king KNowing HAe Soo isn't is NOT HAE SOO. I have alot of question chingu. LIke for 1.... How does he know that? 2. was her presence foretold?? 3. was she going to come if WS never got the scar? Reeading someone post saying the King said SO will become king... Is quite puzzeling because he is always trying to send WS away if he thought WS wanted to be king? BUt here he is stating he knows he will be king. Tae Jo doesn't want HAe Soo trying to change anything but allowing all the events to happen as they are supposted to.  

• Like 16

1 hour ago, cmoirae2 said:

.. Why (...........) Wook desire the crown when they didn't care about it before? because of the power it comes with it and will be able to free -> Soo ...

Me -> Thinking aloud here ... if Soo was not part of the equation, would history be written as it is known in current times or could it be that Soo was a catalyst for history to be written as it is known today?

I think that if  HS was not part of the equation ( never travelled back in time) Wook still would go for the throne. Queen´s  Yoo ambition and  schemes were prior HS arrival. And Wook ´s house (in the sense of "oikos") is permanently and fatally threatened by Queen Yoo. So to make the long story short, Wook  eventually would  go for the throne (either by personal ambition, either to protect his mother and sister , either both). Afterall, already in the past he did a marriage due political gains (to be  possible  for him and his family to return to palace).

If HS has a catalyst role, this is that she brings in the gamethrone WS, and  she destabilizes WW smooth way. Because even if WS ( without HS arrival) was predestinated ( without knowing that) by his king/father to become king, and even if the king is considered the most powerful figure, the king is still depending on the clans.And WW is  more probable  to be favored by the clans  (he is recognised as achieved in the king-to-be training, while WS, despite his talents is a cursed scarface) .So,  HS, at this point  makes WW angry (in a dangerous way) and maybe even reckless, WW maybe will want to accelerate things if he sees that he is losing HS (for the moment he is still cautious, "i have to keep it low, in order not to be blamed as traitor" says to his sister, but he already became aggressive and more succeptible to intrigues). In any case, the "noble, aloof" facade of WW is ancient history.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, lunalovescookies said:

Something that's been bugging me since episode 9 is how people put down Hae Soo whenever she rejects Wang So. I understand that he really likes her and would do anything for her , but that doesn't mean she has to reciprocate his feelings to the same degree.

Personally (I can't speak for anyone else here), I've never really complained about Hae Soo rejecting Wang So. I just really dislike the fact that she can't seem to separate her own worth from Wang Wook's anymore—I know she's in love and pining, but seeing her suffer and hearing her say that it's all okay so long as Wook thinks of her still (seriously?) is painful.

• Like 8

45 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

She isn't evil. Her priorities are different... and on other hand compare YH to HS for So.

Hasn't YH always thought favourably for WS - for a man who thought no one cared for him, she did. Even he failed to notice that.. and went with HS because HS with all her antics is unlike any other woman they have seen (thank 21st century for that where girls can interact freely with boys).

yes , her priorities are other and he is able to do everything to get it ..... for me she is obviously evil , she even can to die someone if clutters her way.

I don't like YH , since she started to think in WS how a way to get the throne  because he is the most strong

HS is also thinking in WS , she is just a laundress now ,if she accept the married , he will be prejudiced.

• Like 9