[Drama 2016] Moon Lovers ❤ Scarlet Heart Ryeo, 달의 연인-보보경심 려 \^0^/ Soompi Kdrama 2016 Winner

Admin

1 hour ago, iloveknovela said:

This reminds me of Wang So character in Six Flying Dragon... Seems like the HS here is Boon-Yi there.  She is his first only love and part of his desire to ascend to the throne was her.  Boon-Yi there helped him a lot on his to the throne.  Although they never got married .. they treasured each other in their hearts, and that though they are physically apart, their hearts are closer as if they are together for real.  WS died earlier than HS there but HS died beside WS's grave as she recall their beautiful memories together.

WS there got married only once for political reason and that is to strengthen in power.... similar to ML.

In short, although there was no mention in the history about HS, it seems that a woman that WS truly loved existed.  She's just presented differently in each drama....  since Lee Bang Won in SFD and WS is one and the same.

Just suddenly thought about it for additional background.

I am a bit confused about your comments, you don't really mean that Bang Won and Wang So are the same person do you? They were similar style kings but you know that one is in Goryeo dynasty and the other is in the Joseon dynasty. Both ruled at the beginning of their respective dynasties and both were ruthless in order to consolidate and strengthen the foundation of their dynasties. BTW Boon-Yi didn't die beside Bang Won's grave, it was the grave of the scholar and her mentor. SFD is not the same as ML, it was not an epic love story.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, churasan said:

Ah Empress KI!  I had to respond.... per my avatar my ship never sailed in that drama! LOL :P

In my opinion, Empress Ki had ambition and drive (revenge) to rise to the top of the ladder.   Whereas HS doesn't because she is from a time where things like being queen don't matter.  Unlike everyone else in the Goryeo era, HS believes happiness just comes when you live with the one person you love peacefully and freely - without having to share him.  As Empress, it will be inevitable that she'll have to make sacrifices to her freedom and perhaps accept that WS may have other wives.  And from the start of her character, that seems to go against her principles.   Therefore, even if WS become king and can serve her the empress title on a silver platter, it's a title that she probably doesn't want.

Also, I think WS (and even WW) may believe that becoming king will bring happiness to HS because at that time, it seems to be the dream of everyone woman in the court and no one can hurt her anymore.  But, that's their idea of what makes her happy, not her idea of happiness.  So, I think they will be shocked to realize becoming king doesn't necessarily mean HS becomes theirs.

Finally.... I'm wondering what will happen HS refuses to marry WS in the end because of her principles.  It's obvious WS will never let her leave the palace - she will always need to be in his sight.  Will he force her to continue being a court lady like Lady Oh then?  That would be so painful for HS to see the one she loves married to another woman everyday of her life.... :tears: 

Thanks for your respond, chingu! Yes, I also think that it will be really hard for Hae So to admit that Wang So should have more then just one wife. It will be very paintful for her and for him:(( my poor fan heart is going to be torn apart :((

• Like 8

@briseis Bravo!!!!:rolleyes::wub::D I love your recaps!! Yes I totally agree with you that the only reason for Wang So to live is to build a new world for his beloved Hae So! And I read that Gwangjon built a lot of buddhistic temples as if he is anticipating to find Hae So in  his new life in future! As he told her in ep 8: prepare yourself because I'm going never let you go:))):wub::wub::wub:

• Like 16

I really NEED to find the subs for the re-edited (director's cut) episodes... I may have found the subs for ep 1-3, but I still have to try and see if they are that ones. Which version is on Viki? The original run, or the director's cut (the one whose first episode ends with HS being thrown down from the horse by WS)?  

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, jerboa83 said:

Which version is on Viki? The original run, or the director's cut (the one whose first episode ends with HS being thrown down from the horse by WS)?  

As far as I know, VIKI don't have Moon Lovers because they never got the license. Well, that's what they said in their Facebook by the end of August. 

DRAMAFEVER got the license (original run). 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, shiraru said:

I don't know if this is related, but it seems that because of the popularity of the drama, VisitKorea made an article compiling all the location used for filming sites. You can read the details on each location here~ http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/ATR/SI_EN_3_6.jsp?cid=2420291#

The locations are indeed beautiful!! Let's feast our eyes before the tragedy that would happen in the next episodes this week!

please do not quote images

Baekje Cultural Land

Cheonjuho Lake

Hide contents

Ondal Tourist Park

Panorama of Baekje Cultural Land

Nampyeong Moon Clan’s Original Residence Area

WOW! I've visited the Baekje Cultural Land when I was in Korea! At that time, I went to Buyeo 'cause I wanted to reach the mountain where some important scenes of "Faith" had been filmed (the wormhole's location and the "love tree" location) and to visit that area... The Baekje Park is not far from Buyeo city (I took a taxi to get there). I climbed two mountains that day, visited many monuments and temples, went to the Cultural Land, walked around the city, met many nice people (I was alone and there was no foreigner to be seen), and then went back to Seoul... I was dead-tired when I came back home but SO happy!

Edited by LyraYoo
  • Like 16

On 9/23/2016 at 8:12 PM, bebebisous33 said:

I agree with you. From my opinion, Hae Soo has always been like that: an optimistic person who sees people through rose-coloured glasses. In reality, she is only oblivious of the bad sides of people or better said, she wants to be oblivious of the negative sides. That's why her boyfriend and her friend abused her kindness. Both betrayed her many times: the debts, the cheating and the make-up she did for her friend. The latter used Hae Soo's skills in order to become more attractive and seduce Hae Soo's boyfriend. Furthermore she must have agreed to sign a contract for her boyfriend and she never questioned him. She wasn't even married to the boyfriend. So she never doubted them because she didn't want to. 

The question is : why is she acting like that? From my understanding, she wants to see people through rose-coloured glasses for two reasons:

1) She is doing it on purpose, believing that if so, she will never be hurt. In the end, the opposite happens. I am quite sure, she must have experienced it many times before the incidents with her ex-boyfriend but decided to remain like that because she has this belief, if you trust people first, then they will trust you. However, this way of thinking is dangerous because greedy people can abuse your trust. Since she decided not to change, she thought, she could still accept people therefore she kept being betrayed. She said to Wang So that she trusted people so easily and from my point of view, this must happened to her too before the cheating of her boyfriend. 

Interesting is that Wang So is the opposite. He told her, that he gave long thoughts, if he should trust her or not. So he was very open about it. He thinks a lot before trusting people which explains why Wang So has only a few supporters next to him. On the other hand, Hae Soo is able due to her personality to make new friends so easily, but she is more superficial with them. For example, she knew that Wang Eun loved her but she was not really honest with him. Sure, she didn't want to hurt him, however he got hurt in the end because she had to tell him the truth. That's why her relationship to people is more superficial compared to Wang So's relationship, hence they have no problem to betray her or not to keep their promise. Wang Wook is acting like her boyfriend, comforting her in the belief that she shouldn't be worried about her situation ("everything is going to be okay"), yet he is not trying very hard to help her. Hae Soo is trusting Wang Wook too easily again therefore she hasn't complainted to him that he never kept his promises: "You will never be treated like that again" f. ex. Wang Wook is reinforcing this optimistic attitude: seeing everything through rose-coloured glasses. Nevertheless, she is not honest to Wang Wook too, although he is her actual boyfriend. Why is Hae Soo not honest to Wang Wook and people generally speaking?  

I guess, deep down Hae Soo likes being with Wang Wook because he makes her feel good, though she is not really true to herself. She doesn't share her inner thoughts with him: "don't worry", "I am fine", "I can wait", I'll just have to wait". These quotes were never her real thoughts, especially the last one because she said to herself that she knew that this was not going to happen. Hence she keeps saying that she doesn't want to change: she doesn't want to show her real thoughts or her real problems. She doesn't express her real feelings, if she is mad, angry or upset. Remember in the episode 4, she said to Wang So that she had her own issues and she was more afraid of herself than him. In my opinion, she doesn't like acting on her true feelings because this would reveal an ugly side from herself. She thinks, if she behaves on her feelings, she is a bad person.

While Wang So is so direct that he can hurt people, Hae Soo is the opposite, she tries to smoothe things so that she can be judged as a good and nice person. But she will not share her inner thoughts to others, the only exception is Wang So. Here she is entirely honest. She can be upset, angry, hurt, happy or horrified next to him, while she is only smiling to others. Eun never thought that she knew all along about his feelings for her (that's why he called her a "liar"), so for Eun it was as if she had been playing with his feelings. Another example is, Hae Soo is keeping Wang So in the dark about Wang Wook and Wang Wook about Wang So. De facto, honesty is not her quality. She is showing this happy face all the time, doing good deeds but deep down, she is not very honest to herself and to people. She did flirt with Wang Wook, while lady Hae was alive and she knew at some point that it was not right. And that's the second reason: she wants to be seen as a good person and doesn't show her true feelings and thoughts because she sees all these as something bad therefore she is all the time smiling and acting as nice person. However due to her inner thoughts and conflicts, she would like to be sometimes more selfish or to act on her feelings. Remember, when she mentioned her dream to lady Hae, she added that she wanted to tell to her ex-boyfriend and friend so many things but she never managed to say all the things she wanted to say.

From my opinion, she never criticised her friends and boyfriend, she accepted everything from them, although she must have been sad, mad or upset. She never dared to be brutally honest with them, as she didn't want to hurt them. She hates hurting people because she sees it as something negative. But being nice is not right either. Sometimes, inflicting pain is necessary so that you don't become the loser. Since she was so nice the entire time, people came to think, they could do anything to her and abused her kindness. 

But with Wang So, it is different because from the start he never cared about people's opinion hence he didn't treat her nicely. Since he was a "bad/rude" person from the beginning, she didn't need to pretend to be good. She didn't care as well about his opinion. Therefore she came to be brutally honest with him. She shared her pain and her deepest thoughts. Since Wang So is so direct to people and he asks questions about their motives (Baek Ah and JM), he is used to behave like that. So he met a girl who would behave exactly like him in front of him, hence he thought, he could be direct to her as well. This explains why he confronts her with reality, like f. ex. how palace life really is, he gives her advices (be careful about what you say, behave like a normal court lady aso) which also explains why Hae Soo is listening more and more to Wang So. His influence was so visible, when she quoted Wang So in front of Wang Wook. Hae Soo is different with him, but so like him. She acts on her emotions and speaks up for her believes.

As conclusion, she doesn't allow herself to show her true thoughts and feelings because she has a very high standard for right and wrong. Being nice is one of her flaws in the end. She keeps being optimistic and nice so that she can feel better about herself and wants to be seen as a strong and nice person as well. 

Striking is that Wang So is the opposite. He doesn't care about his image at all and acts on his feelings, however Hae Soo is so similar to him, when she is around him.

Okay that's it. another long analysis about Hae Soo.

@syeramy@40somethingahjumma@Yongzura@valsava@littleloony@junee22@evie7

This is a really well thought out and very interesting insight into Hae Su @bebebisous33 :wub: I didn't want to cut it :D Anyway, I highlighted two lines. The second one sums up HS for me and how I have perceived her till now.....it also explains her horrified reaction to her visions IMO. I have question about the first highlighted part.....just out of curiosity.....why do you think HS might feel that being honest about feelings is wrong or just not okay? How will it be possible for her to be more honest now that she is in the thick of things in Goryeo?

• Like 14

This drama made me finally create an account to comment. We know the drama spans ten years and we're about to hit the halfway point in the number of episodes. Based on the the CDrama, long preview, spoiler pictures, etc..., in terms of major plot points what do we know still has to happen in the next eleven episodes? Feel free to add to my list and rearrange what you think the chronological order will be.

Spoiler
  • So sacrifices himself and drinks the poison tea meant for CP
  • Soo gets framed for the poison and is subsequently tortured 
  • Lady Oh takes the blame and is executed; Soo stands in the rain to beg on her behalf
  • Soo gets promoted to Head Court Lady
  • Soo leaves the palace or is demoted (she wears the simple pink dress in one still)
  • CP ascends throne
  • Yo ascends throne
  • So ascends throne
  • So and Yuen Hwa marry
  • Soo dies and wakes up back in the future; meets the modern reincarnation of So

• Like 13