[Drama 2016] Moon Lovers ❤ Scarlet Heart Ryeo, 달의 연인-보보경심 려 \^0^/ Soompi Kdrama 2016 Winner

Admin

2 hours ago, briseis said:

“Before I came here, I fell in love with a man… I thought I could make him give up on all his ambitions. In the end. he became a man I could not reach.” 

OMG! Lady Oh is actually a dead ringer for the original Ruo Xi and her relationship with King Taejo echoes the one RX had with Yinzhen.

The scenes where HS and Lady do the make-up for the father and son mirror themself - it’s intended from the start in order to draw paralles between these two couples and in that way between RX&4th Prince and HS&WS - to show the similarities, BUT WHAT’S MORE IMPORTANT, TO SHOW IN WHICH THEY DIFFER. Just like Taejo, Yinzhen had approx. 30 wives (including concubines) and almost 20 children with them (Taejo had 30+) and RX had to share him with them, just like Lady Oh. On the other hand, Gwanjong had only one Queen and later married his niece (but didn’t father any children with her, so it was just a political union), learning from his experience of a neglected child, the fratricidal battle for the throne (and also because of HS) .

“In order to save Hae Soo’s life, Wang So forsook the old emperor and instated a new emperor in his place. Because he hates being pressured to forsake Hae Soo, he takes it upon himself to ascend the throne. - Wang So’s character synopsis

The main reason why Wang So will vie for the throne is because he doesn’t want anyone to have the power to take Hae Soo from him, or to hurt her. He will marry YH to gain and consolidate his power (the marriage being just a means to an end). The Moon Lovers story will span over 10 years - it’s 943 now and So’s and YH’s first child won’t be born until 955, several years after HS’s death - he will be 30 years old at that time (married for some 7-8 years) which is very late for a first child considering Goryeo boys got married very young (early teenage years). They will definitely explore this strange fact.

It’s clear that EVEN AFTER MARRYING HIS HALF-SISTER WANG SO WILL STAY FAITHFUL ONLY TO HAE SOO. UNLIKE TAEJO/YINZHEN, SO GIVES HIMSELF TO HAE SOO EXCLUSIVELY - WHEN HE TELLS HER “I’M YOURS” HE MEANS IT IN EVERY SENSE OF THE WORD.

This reminds me of Wang So character in Six Flying Dragon... Seems like the HS here is Boon-Yi there.  She is his first only love and part of his desire to ascend to the throne was her.  Boon-Yi there helped him a lot on his to the throne.  Although they never got married .. they treasured each other in their hearts, and that though they are physically apart, their hearts are closer as if they are together for real.  WS died earlier than HS there but HS died beside WS's grave as she recall their beautiful memories together.

WS there got married only once for political reason and that is to strengthen in power.... similar to ML.

In short, although there was no mention in the history about HS, it seems that a woman that WS truly loved existed.  She's just presented differently in each drama....  since Lee Bang Won in SFD and WS is one and the same.

Just suddenly thought about it for additional background.

• Like 15

4 minutes ago, iloveknovela said:

This reminds me of Wang So character in Six Flying Dragon... Seems like the HS here is Boon-Yi there.  She is his first only love and part of his desire to ascend to the throne was her.  Boon-Yi there helped him a lot on his to the throne.  Although they never got married .. they treasured each other in their hearts, and that though they are physically apart, their hearts are closer as if they are together for real.  WS died earlier than HS there but HS died beside WS's grave as she recall their beautiful memories together.

WS there got married only once for political reason and that is to strengthen in power.... similar to ML.

In short, although there was no mention in the history about HS, it seems that a woman that WS truly loved existed.  She's just presented differently in each drama....  since Lee Bang Won in SFD and WS is one and the same.

Just suddenly thought about it for additional background.

Wang So lived in the 10th century and was the 4th king of the Goryeo dynasty while LBW lived in the 14th and 15th century and was the 3rd king of the Joseon Dynasty - King Taejong

• Like 14

Well I'm not surprised because I was expecting, but I think that this will not happen soon, it may be at the end. Wang So's hair is picked up, as well as his father the king, but this photo belongs to the end of the shooting, so I think this will happen towards the end.

Spoiler

Maybe Hae Soo will die in the past that this will lead Wang So to become in the man she saw in the first vision. Then she returned to her body in the present, but destiny make that she meets with her love the 4th prince. The title Moon Lovers, makes me think in a man and woman who meet and loved each other deeply, but by some circumstances have to separate and in the future they meet again as a love that transcends time.

• Like 24

On 9/23/2016 at 11:30 AM, zi4r said:

Hi everyone. Been a lurker here for months now... Actually, for the past week or so, I try not to even READ here or DB/DF comments sections, because many of the complaints regarding this drama really get on my nerves. But I can't stand it anymore, so I read 'em all, here comes my rant...

(Warning: It's going to be loooooooooong. And might sound harsh at times. I have a sharp tongue and no patience for kinder analysis.)

First of all, I love this drama probably for EXACT reasons that most people hate it for. It is gritty. It's ruthless. It doesn't get too tropey; it doesn't care about fan service (for the central characters; most fan service is dedicated to younger princes... which I am glad for). I avoid most K-Dramas (I mostly live in film land) because they try so hard to please the fans that they compromise the plot/pace. My love for LJG made me sit through Scholars (which gave very beautiful OTP moments but plots went dead by 3/4 way into the story; see what I mean?) and now I thought I would do so again with this one. BUT I am pleasantly surprised by how much the production team is willing to take risks.

So... let's talk about various complaints, shall we?

@zi4r hey....I know its pages ago but great post, sorry  I cut most of it for the sake of brevity and can I request you to delurk more often and share your views on the plot progression.....I am sure it will be good to read :D I actually concur with everything you said. I dived in knowing its gonna be angsty and we are gonna have a dangerous man as our lead.....so far I am enjoying his characterization and I would actually like it if it went even darker but the logic for that progression has to be there. I also want to see how he manipulates people in the court. And about the whole Hae Su went nuts thing......I was skeptical at first and finding her reactions a bit OTT but then I got others' perspectives and thought it through and came to just the conclusion you had stated- that its a different situation altogether when the danger hits close to home. I think on that occasion most of became too emotional too quickly :D regarding So.

• Like 15

I know I said I'll wait for the episodes to run their course before I bring up spoilers from the synopsis, but I'll say this about Wang So's marriage:

Spoiler

Anything and everything WS does is to protect HS and save her life.

Also, Wang So in history had two wives. The synopsis even mentioned his marriage to his niece - Wang Mu's daughter, but I don't think it will happen since we only have 11 episodes left. Some people were hopeful that Wang Mu will adopt HS and get them married, but I don't think that's likely, either.

Also, I'm not sure about the timing (but probably before he realized his feelings for HS) but the early version included WS asking YH to marry him and being refused. I'm so glad that they got rid of it in our current version.

• Like 22

hello dear chingus , its been a while since i actively comment on a forum; and although  i have been following the drama  since the start, i'm more of a passive observer ,in this case reader... but here i am....i just couldn't stay silent on regards to the upcoming spoilers that are circulating...(yeah mainly the  tasteless flavor of an unwished weeding) ...we know is inevitable, its bound to happen...the latter the better ... eventually ,things will have to go back to their historical counterpart...but not just yet...i mean if i take a closer look at the preview ,So still has his hair down not up and in a bun...so my guess is that even if it is a  forced marriage, he will not engage in it...So is so  accustomed to be his own person that no matter the king's decree , he will not follow it... when his heart is compromised ...  at least that's my  hope ...the only reason for him to follow orders, is because he seeks approval, love and in a way ..a mean to be integrated into his family...but he is a person that knows autonomy ...he fends for himself and knows how to protect himself ...since from a very young age, he was subject to none..his only responsibility has to himself , to his principles ...and instincts of survival...and if we put things in accordance to his character...there is no way he will marry the witch unless ....if by doing so, he is saving soo....which given the case, will be devastating but a formidable act from him to the woman he loves....soo 's approval and love is far more important than dear papa or anybody for that matter...because although we can fairly conclude that the king cares for so ( i mean only a caring father will send one his trusted subjects to look out for his son....ex general park...and he did say my son... and even previously when so was hurt on the attack of the crown prince...after he calmed down from his initial shock of finding his cp...he said his name ever so slightly and profoundly ...feeling guilty and all...nonetheless he controlled  his emotions as to not let it show ...he needs a worthy cp...and as king he didn't let go of the wm and let go of so  .... I also do think that the king has actively and concisely chosen so for something far greater  than just  being a source of strength and support ..even queen yo acknowledge this ....

it is my believe that dear papa has chosen him to be his rightful heir and he is solemnly given so  the chance to claim what he wants him to have   ...in the meantime, having WM protect that position...he just doesn't want for it to be shown...I think he knows So is the most practical.. intellectually ( street smart, people smart ) and militarily ....able to sustain his kingdom and legacy...i think he is planing things with JM ...or at the very least...if nothing is being part on his side, he at least proves of So intuitively  ... it is my personal view that the king is putting So through trials ...to test his ability to overcome struggles and reward him as a chosen heir....why would the praying to the water god...  come then after general park's approval of So as a possible crown prince if not for his face...and he know what follow after...ok this post is completely  deviating from its  initial purpose which was the wedding ...In my opinion So and Soo will not have their happy ending on this time but maybe on the future ...that saddest me a little but oh well,they  can't tamper history ....although I do not understand why they can't play with the mechanism ...that goes for all their period dramas..(.I mean history is only told by the winners regardless of the events... historians... might have reported facts that  may or may not be true..they might have left important things out or be bias toward their rulers...)however that is not a reason why they should change things but given that we might call into question ...mostly everything that  gets reported as history ... my point is why can't HS be Queen Daemok and YH be YH.....and then by the end we will have our history account YH marries WS and becomes QD ...why...because there was a mistake in the things that where being reported ... as thus HS became historically know as YH .... later QD ...why can't writers play with that ...its fantasy nonetheless without changing history.......traditional dramas always leave me heart broken... they usually  never really play their historical counterpart...HS could have been reincarnated as YH but they have to follow the BBX path so no...and our only hope is for them to reunite later.....

(in the beginning of ep 1 there is a guy in a white shirt playing with kids, don't you guys think that he could be mighty LJK future counterpart....that might be him... I'm going to try to post the picture here, but i'm a little computer illiterate as is, so i'm not sure if its going to come up ...) anyway ...I don't know when the next time to write will be... but if anybody read this till the end...thank you...SHR fighting ....

• Like 18

I don't know but there's too 'much' spoiler sometimes, too many pics released!!! Like for example, they show that HS will be tortured or WS being completely good after the poisoning. When I watch a drama, I like to experience the anxiety, the fear of seeing a character suffering. Of course here I'm excited for monday OF COURSE, but it will be even better if I did not know all of those things. Well maybe I'm fussing over nothing, Sorry XDD!! I just wanted to say it, but I hope I did not offend anyone.

WOOOOW we'll reach 1000 pages in a few days I'm certain !! You guys are too fast hahahaha

• Like 22

@bebebisous33, @zenya22 and @UnniSarah thank you so much chingudeul for liking that myth narrative :D:wub: and also elaborating your thoughts on it...I loved them as well. @fathiayunia chingu thanks for the compliment :wub: I am a fantasy/ myth/ legend junkie and sucker for such stuff.....so when I read about something like that my mind goes into overdrive thinking up a story around it....glad you liked it. @meahri_1 thank you so so much for that huge compliment :heart::wub: I got so carried away writing the stuff that I am happy you and others have liked it. And wow you think it could be a game :D now I kinda wanna request the prod team to put together a game and sell it to us.....kinda like that interactive game "IF" from Lucky Romance hehehehe.

Have you all realised that because of SHR we now know some of Korean history by heart :P we know myths and legends, we literally have a travel brochure to beautiful places in Korea, we know more about horse riding :P we know time travel theories etc. WOW isn't it \^0^/

• Like 23

10 hours ago, briseis said:

Wang So lived in the 10th century and was the 4th king of the Goryeo dynasty while LBW lived in the 14th and 15th century and was the 3rd king of the Joseon Dynasty - King Taejong

Oh... you're right.  Got info of that but suddenly forgot.   Thanks for the correction. They seems similar. :D

I think I need to sleep now.... I am probably sleep typing already. :D:D

(can't help browsing the thread though too sleepy to do it.)

• Like 13

LESS THEN 24 HRS AND WE WIL HAVE THE NEXT EPISODE OH MONDAY HURRY AND GET HERE..

AFTER READING SOME OF YOU GUY'S COMMENTS REGARDING HS TELLING WS THAT SHE'S NOT GOING TO BE A SECOND WIFE WILL.. AS OF NOW SHE WON'T BE WS SECOND WIFE BUT HIS FIRST IS SHE SAYING THIS BECAUSE OF WW IS SHE GETTING DEMOTED BECAUSE SHE REFUSE TO MARRY A PRINCE.. I'M TRYING TO UNDERSTAND DO SHE REALIZE WHY SHE CAN'T MARRY WW IS SHE REALLY HOLDING OUT FOR HIM..WHAT HAPPEN TO HER AND WS FALLING IN LOVE WILL THIS STORY NOT GO THERE..    

• Like 11

16 minutes ago, sutcliff said:

I don't know but there's too 'much' spoiler sometimes, too many pics released!!! Like for example, they show that HS will be tortured or WS being completely good after the poisoning. When I watch a drama, I like to experience the anxiety, the fear of seeing a character suffering. Of course here I'm excited for monday OF COURSE, but it will be even better if I did not know all of those things. Well maybe I'm fussing over nothing, Sorry XDD!! I just wanted to say it, but I hope I did not offend anyone.

WOOOOW we'll reach 1000 pages in a few days I'm certain !! You guys are too fast hahahaha

No - you are not fussing over nothing... I can understand your point - even so I´m a bit Spoiler Lover... People are just so different. I for example love to watch the BTS and see the Actors have Fun filming it - but I know People who will not watch it - they just want to see the Characters when they watch a Drama. Trouble is - with so many Spoilers - some even official... I guess you can´t put all under Spoiler. So - if you don´t want to see it - I guess the only way is to stay away from the Thread. Noone wish you to da that... just to make it clear...

But even with all that Spoiler I´m sure there is enough left what will shock or just surprise us...

• Like 20

1 hour ago, Lady_Lara said:

Could anyone explain me why Wang So will not be able to marry Hae So? If he is already the king he is like a god there-he can do anything he wants and marry anyone he wants? Am I right? The same in Empress Ki. The heroine was just mere servant but after she marries the imperator she became an empress. Could it be the same in here?

Ah Empress KI!  I had to respond.... per my avatar my ship never sailed in that drama! LOL :P

In my opinion, Empress Ki had ambition and drive (revenge) to rise to the top of the ladder.   Whereas HS doesn't because she is from a time where things like being queen don't matter.  Unlike everyone else in the Goryeo era, HS believes happiness just comes when you live with the one person you love peacefully and freely - without having to share him.  As Empress, it will be inevitable that she'll have to make sacrifices to her freedom and perhaps accept that WS may have other wives.  And from the start of her character, that seems to go against her principles.   Therefore, even if WS become king and can serve her the empress title on a silver platter, it's a title that she probably doesn't want.

Also, I think WS (and even WW) may believe that becoming king will bring happiness to HS because at that time, it seems to be the dream of everyone woman in the court and no one can hurt her anymore.  But, that's their idea of what makes her happy, not her idea of happiness.  So, I think they will be shocked to realize becoming king doesn't necessarily mean HS becomes theirs.

Finally.... I'm wondering what will happen HS refuses to marry WS in the end because of her principles.  It's obvious WS will never let her leave the palace - she will always need to be in his sight.  Will he force her to continue being a court lady like Lady Oh then?  That would be so painful for HS to see the one she loves married to another woman everyday of her life.... :tears: 

• Like 13

I KNOW I wrote it before on soompi, but I am not sure, when that was.

There were many cultures that regarded marriage between siblings (real, half or step) as normal.
Specially in the royal families, as that was regarded as a strengthening of the throne.
For example the old egypts.
Pharao HAD to marry his closest sister (the closer the better) to secure his throne
and the sister HAD to bear him a male child to guarantee that she is the queen.
If she did fail to produce a male child she had to see how the next woman bearing a male
child was called queen.

If WS has to marry YH for that reason, he might be able to sell it to HS as a strengthening of his
throne, but as much as I know could that have been a "on the paper" marriage only in Korea, but
I could be mistaken.

Europeans (like me) see it as strange and abnormal to marry your sibling ... well in modern days everyone
would think so (specially, as we know thru science that it is bad for the genetics), but if Europeans EVER
practiced that kind of marriage I am not aware of it. I know that it was common to marry cousins 1. grad.
Austrian Emperor Frank Josef and his wife Elisabeth were cousins 1. grad (mothers were sisters), as were
the parents of FranzJosef cousins 1. grade ... around that century ALL the European Royals were married
in such manner ... Elisabeths family (Wittelsbacher) had practiced this marriage politics thru generations 
and it is said, that that's the reason why so many of them had bad teeth, mental illnesses (Ludwig 2) or
other health issues.

I stray from what I want to say ... well, modern people think it's strange and wrong, but at those times such
marriage was common. We might not like the idea of WS marrying YH, but he might have to do so. Also in those
times and in other cultures marrying just one woman was just for the poor. If you want to be sure to have "an
heir and a spare" you needed to bed more than one wife & concubine

• Like 21

1 hour ago, churasan said:

I agree with you... I think we all knew it was coming.  However, I was definitely hoping it would could later in the story line so we could squeeze in more OTP moments. I think someone mentioned in this forum that IU stated episode 11 would be fun, so I'm hoping for a more lighthearted episode after the whole poising thing.

Like you mentioned, the wedding will probably happen when WS needs more power... maybe when the CP is on the throne and wants to give WS more power to help him or when Yoo is on throne and maybe WS and YH make some sort of contract marriage to decrease Yoo's authority in some way.  

It'll be just awkward if it happens now.  It seems too early yet and there doesn't seem to be a justified reason for him to do it now and get the forgiveness of the audience.  It has to be in some really desperate times where we can be sympathetic why he did it.

In the end though, I don't exactly hate YH's character.  Yeah, she's a mean girl... but she did in fact treat WS better than all his other siblings.  Therefore, I can't see WS giving YH the cold shoulder either unless she does something really nasty to hurt HS.  I think WS respects YH right now because she helped in some ways when all the other siblings either avoided or mocked him.

That's what I think as well. I presume Hs (and maybe 13th prince) will be made to suffer during Yo's reign, which will push Ws, who feels powerless, into gaining the throne for himself. YH might approach him to make a deal; she gets to be the queen; he becomes the king, gets back at his evil mum and saves his dear Hs. Honestly, this is the best he can do in their condition. As long as we're not shown any consummation stuff, I'm ok.

• Like 16