[Drama 2016] Moon Lovers ❤ Scarlet Heart Ryeo, 달의 연인-보보경심 려 \^0^/ Soompi Kdrama 2016 Winner

Admin

5 hours ago, ruzikie said:

You told it and felt it right ? I found WS is a second lead from episode 4-9. I didnt watch episode 1-3 thou but i think your post already explained whole things :D 

shall we open the leash so he could be the first lead in episode 10-20. 11 episodes left and this couple hasnt showed any hint yet :( 

Oh how can you not have watched ep 1-3, it was such a good introduction to our 4th prince and shows what his character is like before meeting HS. I watch it over and over again just to admire him and skip over other bits :P

• Like 17

Hi there!
I've been reading quite a bit of posts about fans wondering why the ratings are so low in Korea for this drama.  This may be all just speculation, but hopefully it is something to think about...  :phew:

One of my all time favorite historical dramas is "Ja Myung Go" which aired in 2009.  Have you heard of it? 
Like "Scarlet Heart Ryeo" ,the storyline was more on the tragic, gritty side.  It was originally scheduled to run 50 episodes or so, but it got slashed to 39 due to low ratings.  At that time, one reason for low ratings that floated around was that the Korean audience did not like the drama because one of the main characters, King Daemusin (aka Jumong's grandson), was depicted as a very scheming and cold-hearted ruler, unlike in previous dramas where King Daemusin was portrayed as a hero (as in "Kingdom of the Winds" with Song Il Gook which aired a year before in 2008 with higher ratings).  People thought the Korean audience did not want to see this historical figure depicted in such a negative light because he is usually considered a hero... hence the low ratings. 

In addition, Daemusin's son, Prince Hodong was the main character of "Ja Myung Go" and could be viewed as an anti-hero because #1 - he tricked the first Princess of Nakrang into marrying him and betraying her country (and didn't even save her when King Daemusin ordered her to be stoned to death) and #2 - fell in love with the princess's younger sister at the same time.  Hmm... not something to be exactly proud of.  :(  And of course... there is no happy ending. :tears:

Therefore, I'm wondering if this same ratings pattern is happening again with "Scarlet Heart Ryeo".  Currently, King Gwangjong is being portrayed in such a negative light - episode 9 kept emphasizing through HS's fear of what a tyrant she believes him to become.  In addition, Wang So could be considered an anti-hero (like Prince Hodong in Ja Myung Go) because they did show him slaughtering all those monks (albeit it was to save his mother) early on in the drama. Therefore, maybe the K-audience is tuning out because they prefer to watch a hero who is undeniably pure.

But for me, as an international viewer, I really have no idea who is considered a hero in Korea or not. So I don't have any feeling if the historical figure is portrayed in an incorrect or negative way.  Therefore, I can enjoy the drama as pure entertainment without any bias.  In addition, I like characters that are more complex and fall into that "grey" area.  That makes the drama all the more interesting.

Anyways, just thought I'd share based on past knowledge...  Also, if you haven't seen Ja Myung Go, you might like it if you are looking for tearjerker with complicated characters (just like Scarlet Heart Ryeo ;) ).

• Like 23

35 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Sometimes I wish Soompi would ban all talk of ratings. I know why ratings are important to the cast and the crew but I'm not sure why we international fans get so bogged down by them that it becomes a point of division and contention. Often I feel that it's something that fans use to validate their choices which really shouldn't even be an issue. I think that we should be confident in our choices and not let external factors affect our judgement of what is watchable. Ratings should probably never be used to prove the quality of the product. The only thing it actually correlates to is popularity among television watchers in a certain time slot on a certain day. Among viewers with ratings boxes.

That said I think Moon Lovers is based on a very well-written script. Obviously it has had a number of post-production issues but the story from which it is based is very sound. There are very few cliches... the male and female protagonists are well-fleshed out and there are several elements (time travel, symbolism, divine will vs free will, K mythos, history, romance) that are integrated in an intriguing, fresh way. Clearly the male lead is an incredibly compelling character with so many aspects that he defies simplistic categorization. He's not just a puppet or an archetype but a living, breathing creature with raw magnetism. There's an other worldliness about him that sees a kind of elegance even in his most brutal acts of violence. The aspect of the show I enjoy most is the female lead's ongoing tension with history which is played out superbly in her relationships with the male leads. I think the writer is very deliberate in how the love triangle has been presented not just as romance but as a mechanism through which the female lead can weather this brutally alien world. Her first dalliance positions her to transition from 21st century living to life in Goryeo and her second one provides a shield against the ruthless dog eat dog palace machinations. It's quite brilliantly done actually. The first romance must give way to the next because the reality in which she needs to transition into demands it. It isn't just about love or the relative strengths and weaknesses of the male leads. In crude fashion they are vehicles for her quest to come to grips with the unknown. History is being made and she can't resist the lure of being at the apex of power because of her own irrepressible impulses to meddle.

Everything that happens in this show has meaning beyond the literal which is absolutely my kind of drama. There is also the issue about memory and the writing of history which is just another thing that fascinates me here.

The last time I was this addicted to a sageuk was Tree with Deep Roots. It was probably the murders that reeled me in first and then there was something for someone like me who loves words, cares about the power of words and the teaching of them. I've seen a number of sagueks since which I've enjoyed although none quite as absorbing as Tree. Until now. ;)

I very much like your comment. Tree with deep roots is my favorite two, and also Six flying dragons. 

• Like 11

11 hours ago, Gabi Bros said:

@qwenli THank you for the interview!!! :blush: I am happy they are doing well in Singapore. 

@novemberschopin @Gitakawaii Do you know if there are english subs of this BTS? Specially from 2:14 (the conversation between IU and Kang Ha Neul). ^_^

omg noooooooo but if you find it let me know! hhaha freaking KHN.  singing 2ne1's Fire bahahaha their chemistry IRL is so goood

• Like 7

5 hours ago, jetsu said:

I'm the oppose .... all along I seen him as the first because almost all his scenes spell out FIRST LEAD ... different emotions, ups and downs .... where as to me Wook is pretty flat (I'm  not saying it's not good). Seriously I can remember almost every SoSoo moments but not WookSo, apart from the snow scene ... because everytime Soo is with Wook is the same... smiling and being sweet .... but Soo with So is like going through life tasting everything. 

I agree with you, there is no doubt from his scenes that WS is First Lead which is why viewers complained about the lack of screen time for LJG especially in episodes 5 & 6. @ruzikie you need to watch the first 3 episodes and you will get a different perspective. It is like tasting fine wine, the first taste is explosive then you sip to savour the flavour, but the flavour will be very different if you have chugged a glass of beer first.

• Like 10

@dhia205

Spoiler

bisa gantian ga say??? kkkkkk....lol :phew:

So..I know it's not a significant amount but I'm glad that finally,one of my colleague decided to watch the drama..yayyyyy!!!! Noted that..she is someone whose in her 20's, so in return she actually only interested on young and gorgeous people..and more interested in the sweet fluffy things (she has just finished ep 2.. and she is only interested on Nam Joo Hyuk..haha) but the main point is..she's loving it. She said this in our language "Baguuuuuuuussssss banget" (means VERYYYY GOOOD!!) and she already hooked and holds her other Kdramas..hahaha..hope there'll more much friends who join our journey :lol:

• Like 13

3 hours ago, Diana Blanche said:

@qwenli  @meahri_1

Great news from Singapore. And in Thailand Moon Lovers is nr.1 too in accordance with our dear @patoi:post. You can read it here 

http://forums.soompi.com/en/topic/5154-lee-joon-gi-이준기/?page=1461

In this picture, something intrigues me. It is obvious that he is in love up to his ears, but she seems still troubled and tense. That kiss didn't convince her. Maybe another one will give better results.

Now I must back to read your wonderful comments.

My guess: her feelings toward him are not only mixed (she was her friend, she helped him and now she is scared of him), but also because her falling in love is not yet to the point where she can become aware of them and can make up her mind. Like in case with WS, there is a time and a flow between opening, liking, caring, attraction, getting aware of one's own feelings and finally consciously deciding to want to be togheter.

I think she definitively has some feelings for him - she is caring to a lot of people but her gestures to him have a different quality. And most important when he tried for the first time to kiss her she was kind of paralysed, which is not her usual reaction in such a situation. She was clearly not rejecting him. I imagine if Crown Prince were trying to do that, or 14 prince, or let;s say even the king - she wouldnt have stayed without doing or saying something. She reacted to WW when he first tried to kiss her, even she was liking him. If anyother man would make on her the 2 forced kisses her reaction would be more dramatical than the one she has with WS. Just because she doesnt want to be kiss and opposed, doesnt mean she is really rejecting him - and this is the proof WS needs to find out - that deep down she is not rejecting him. This is, in my opinion, why he wouldnt believe her words and is not afraid even of her conscious opposition. After that kiss is quite evident he is not indifferent to her as man, even if she is not in love with him and even she has conscious objections. 

My guess is that, like in WS case, we will have a moment when it will be clear that she is in love with him and accepts her feelings. And all these, like in WS case, are steps on the road that ends with being in love, but are not love itself. Love will be much more. Like in WS case who can now die or runaway for her - something he woudnt do for her in ep 4 for example. 

• Like 23

Cs4a7gcUAAAB4UW.jpg 

i think we will get this scene in next few episode... notice how WS wear his hair up like that.. i think the first time is when they kiss??? 

also the most iconic scene in BBJX when Ruoxi dance and 4th just see nothing else but her... i wonder if this drama will do that particular scene cause for now we have two iconic scene from novel adaptation..

1. the boat scene

2. the force kiss scene

maybe this one is when HS dance????? kyaaaaa

• Like 24

I have been a lurker on Soompi in various forums for about 4 years but now I need to “come out” and share my appreciation for all your great thought provoking comments, the gifs and videos:)  I am thoroughly enjoying this drama and this forum which I have followed since it’s conception.  I really enjoy sageuks the most and this is proving to be one of the best.  I think that all the actors are doing really well and suit their roles.  And as a long time Lee Joon Gi “angel” I am in awe of his portrayal of Wang So – he is Wang So. 

Also even though we may think that the characters of Queen Yoo and Wang Yo are so despicable, Park Ji Young and Hong Jong Hyun need to be congratulated for it is their acting skills that make us feel this way.  They are so believable.

Well better keep on reading – it’s so easy to get left behind :P

• Like 23

10 hours ago, briseis said:

Not Dramabeans, I'm talking about people on the ML Tumblr tag, I stopped reading the recaps on Dramabeans after the first episode. AND I NEVER EVER READ COMMENTS UNDER THE RECAPS - because usually it makes me want to murder people.

Please don't be upset, just give us your fabulous comments. I also read some negative comments about that kiss but I don't care anymore... They will never understand the beauty significance of that kiss.

Some people like so much sweet things that they remain with their tongue glued to their teeth. (Even so, I bet they like the kiss... but it is not appropriate to kiss someone with force). What prudes people! They have forgotten that action is happening to 1000's of years ago.

• Like 14

20 minutes ago, arabela said:

My guess: her feelings toward him are not only mixed (she was her friend, she helped him and now she is scared of him), but also because her falling in love is not yet to the point where she can become aware of them and can make up her mind. Like in case with WS, there is a time and a flow between opening, liking, caring, attraction, getting aware of one's own feelings and finally consciously deciding to want to be togheter.

I think she definitively has some feelings for him - she is caring to a lot of people but her gestures to him have a different quality. And most important when he tried for the first time to kiss her she was kind of paralysed, which is not her usual reaction in such a situation. She was clearly not rejecting him. I imagine if Crown Prince were trying to do that, or 14 prince, or let;s say even the king - she wouldnt have stayed without doing or saying something. She reacted to WW when he first tried to kiss her, even she was liking him. If anyother man would make on her the 2 forced kisses her reaction would be more dramatical than the one she has with WS. Just because she doesnt want to be kiss and opposed, doesnt mean she is really rejecting him - and this is the proof WS needs to find out - that deep down she is not rejecting him. This is, in my opinion, why he wouldnt believe her words and is not afraid even of her conscious opposition. After that kiss is quite evident he is not indifferent to her as man, even if she is not in love with him and even she has conscious objections. 

My guess is that, like in WS case, we will have a moment when it will be clear that she is in love with him and accepts her feelings. And all these, like in WS case, are steps on the road that ends with being in love, but are not love itself. Love will be much more. Like in WS case who can now die or runaway for her - something he woudnt do for her in ep 4 for example. 

About the second kiss... it was just a joke.:)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mona Ys said:

already discussed his kissing skills and lack of experience in dating a few pages (well, maybe lots of pages) back. So I will share it again. It was in Healing camp back in 2012, so I believe he has gained a lot of experience in loving dept since then hahahaha... 

Hide contents

That was 2013.... 3 years of learning and practicing is long enough. :D  All I can say is.... He did well!

• Like 10

this will be too random sorry :flushed: I don't know if you already discuss this before because I just join this thread since around page 500

I was just thinking (I am actually very curious!)  what will it be like if 4th prince WS has normal childhood back then without scar, and being loved by his mother? What type of man he will be? What is his real interest and passion? (I only know he takes interest in trees and nature) :blush: and...for his natural personality, will he still be a quiet and reserved WS or more like cheerful and full of hope WS? 

What we see right now is the WS who has so many sad memories, alienated by his own family, living as hostage who received cruelty from his step family, practicing sword skill to defend himself, and the scar that made him think he was ugly all the time and lack of self confidence. :tears:

well, (This is just personality estimation from the 9 episodes in the drama though)

1. Will he be like ambitious Wang Yo? I assumed he will be exactly like Wang Yo, who's so keen for the throne (his mother will encourage each of his son to take the throne I'm sure of it) but I'm sure WS is less evil. He doesn't want to do bad things to people who care about him (maybe from this side he's more like Wang Jung) So, I think he just wait for his chance to be in the throne, maybe after WY died because of disease or etc. Since his mother wish one of her son to be a king, then WY and WS must be educated properly and familiar with the law. They will have expertness in governing better than the other princes. So maybe WS will have less sword ability. Just standard defence skill like the other. 

2. Will he be like intelligent Wang Wook? WS may be educated enough and has many knowledge about governing but I guess he won't be the same as WW, since the drama never show him visit the library or reading a book, or I don't see him taking any interest in literature and in the scene where the princes were studying together I thought he didn't look interested. (btw I don't understand why he pour out the water from the pot)

3. Will he be like Wang Eun? Hmmm this is what I doubt the most but what if his true nature is actually childish?! :D but I think WS is more clever than WE

4. Will he be like Wang Won? WW personality is not described clearly so I don't really know him. 

5. Will he be like Baek Ah? WS's face is actually handsome and from how he treat Hae Soo, he's quite flirty and he's good at it! Maybe he will be like Baek Ah who's famous around girls in the area. From the artistic side, I doubt it. I only know he can read emojis better than any other prince lol. But imagine WS is painting or playing instruments like Baek Ah, he will look very attractive <3 

6. Will he be like Wang Jung? This is the most likely since Wang Jung has good heart (remember what he told the queen 'if you want to make us enemies, why did you even give birth to us?!) From the fighting side, I actually quite doubt it. From the appearance WS looks more beautiful and a lil bit shorter than WJ, I don't think WS will choose fight as his main interest. And remember when the princes were playing together where the older brothers carry WJ and WE, WS's face looked troubled more than the other prince. He may actually not into sport or any other physical exercise. 

So, my conclusion is that WS with normal childhood will have passion like Wang Yo but less evil like Wang Jung, while being admired by many girls like Baek Ah. :D But I still can't figure what will become his hobby or main interest. Hmmm I wonder.... :huh: 

What's your opinion? :grin:  

• Like 19