[Drama 2016] Moon Lovers ❤ Scarlet Heart Ryeo, 달의 연인-보보경심 려 \^0^/ Soompi Kdrama 2016 Winner

Admin

Hello everyone~

I really enjoy this drama and am glad to find this thread..

by the way, is there anyone who knows what songs being played when The Princes work together to rescue HaeSoo from marriage in eps 6? It is played at around 14:19 after Eun come to HaeSoo and stop after YeonHwa find Wook?

I think this is only played in international version, since in Korea version, they seem to cut this scene.

Thanks guys!! \^O^/

• Like 9

MODERATOR EDIT: Please I would like to remind you that this thread is about the drama itself and sorry to disappoint you, but videos from other dramas with the main actors and actresses kissing shouldn't be posted here. Striking is that each time, I experience the same: people try to prove with other dramas how the actor or actress is good at kissing... but that's more a topic for the actor or actress thread! But surely, you can describe the kissing scene we all know and watched one hundred times! leaf

@meahri_1 Thanks for supporting me as moderator. ;) I just wanted to make sure that no war among shippers start.

• Like 21

1 hour ago, lisethvr said:

I think he does good, at least with Nam Sang Mi had good kissing scenes in Time between dog and wolf and Gunman in Joseon.

Not to mention he had so many nice kisses with Lee Yoo Bi in Scholar who walks the night. He's not bad kisser, most of the time his kisses look lovely (I'm a fan of a kiss from Arang and the Magistrate - the one when he promises her that he'll always remember her). And at least he never had eyes wide open as if something nasty stuck to his mouth. ;)

The passionate last kiss from TBDAW is... is WOW. :wub: They even moved on the couch and you can hear moan from the lady. 

What a topic!

I need a fan! Or bucket of cold water. :sweatingbullets:

• Like 13

49 minutes ago, littleloony said:

@40somethingahjumma you have written so well just the reasons why I cant get behind Wook and Su's romance. Sorry to offend any Wook lover and Wook-Su shipper but don't take it as me not liking/ bashing Wook. The crux of the matter is the line I highlighted. Unfortunately for Wook, it seems like YH and to a lesser extent his mother control his marriage/ relationship aspect of life rather than him. He behaved quite nobly when he respected his wife's position in his life and didnt want to get a divorce and marry anew as per YH's wishes but the thing is he doesnt/ cant put up a firm resistance against her pressure........this may also be due to the fact his family members are desperate for their lost power, position and glory which he understands.
 There in lies the problem......Wook is being constantly pushed to fulfill those familial wishes by entering into a political marriage and he hasnt yet committed in his mind, the rational part of him, that casting aside all those aspirations and obligations is fine and that Su can be his end game. Until he makes a definite choice and stands by it.....giving hope to Su of a favourable future together is a little unfair on his part. However, as the preview for ep 8 showed, the rain ceremony may be the chance he needs to put into action the promise he has been giving her.

Thank you for your post @littleloony -- I'm glad you understand where I'm coming from. :)

I find myself also in an odd position of having to defend my position regarding a fictional character. ;) And I don't feel especially apologetic about it. :P

I hesitated for the longest time about posting anything negative about Uk on these forums because I could foresee trouble ahead and many who have been here even before I was know that I have leapt to his defence from time to time especially when I had only just begun to watch the show. But as the show progressed it was clear to me that there were things about him that didn't quite fit the visuals. ;) 

First of all, I don't hate Uk... how can I when he's played by the gorgeous and charming Kang Ha Neul that I've been fond of since Angel Eyes... because I understand to some degree why he hasn't been far more forthcoming about his relationship to Su. He is a man of his time... and particular type of man of his time... a gentleman scholar prince of the Goryeo period. How can I hate him when I don't even really hate Princess Yeon Hwa either despite all her snobbery because to be fair she is a woman of her time and place. Frankly I think she has a much better grip on her own reality than her brother does his.

In the early days I was quite okay with Su going for Uk in a big way. I completely understood why she did. He was being clearly contrasted to the dark, emotionally wretched Wang So. He was the perfect gentleman, showing kindness and understanding to a vulnerable relative who had just suffered a bad spot of head trauma. I didn't even have a problem with him falling for her despite being married especially a man who has been so suffocated by his environment and finding the new and improved Su a breath of fresh air. I also remember defending that relationship when our friend @bebebisous33 argued that Su was more herself when she was with Uk when I said that Uk brought out another (more girly) side to her.

But as we've been seeing, love is a luxury seldom found in marital unions in Goryeo. Marriage is highly political and strategic. And if you're lucky... very lucky... you might even learn to like the person you're married to. This is the backdrop from which all these relationships emerge.

Therefore I have 2 problems with Uk and Su as a couple... The first is that it's disturbingly fluffy. It's not beyond the pale if we're talking about 20th/21st century sensibilities where people can choose whomever they want to marry without too many people objecting. But in Goryeo people marry for power and status and Uk knows that very well. He understands very well that what his heart wants is something quite radical which is why he's kept things largely under wraps. Unfortunately the result is (my second point) that he is cocooning himself with Su in a fantasy that he's enjoying but has consequences that he's reluctant to deal with. That's all I'm saying. It troubles me that he says things like, "Nobody will ever do this to you again or nobody will ever speak to you like this again." While he may just be comforting her, it sounds dangerously like a promise. 

Just for the record I have never said that Uk is a villain or a double-faced creature. To me he is one of the good guys but his entire approach to Su is completely wrongheaded and it shows certain weaknesses in his character. Criticism should never be taken as hatred or otherwise none of us will ever improve as human beings. (So endeth the sermon)

By saying all this, I'm not saying that Su and So will be the perfect romance either (whatever that means). I already know that they won't be but I support them because So will take a much more realistic approach to their relationship. He hasn't tried to cocoon Su, in fact he has challenged her, pushed her and given her the bare facts about life in Goryeo. She knows the darkness in him and exactly what he's capable of. If we're to have a love triangle in Goryeo court then my preference is that she sticks to the guy who isn't afraid to tell it like it is.

• Like 20

@40somethingahjumma thank you for sharing your pov about Wang Wook. I also don't hate him (it's impossible, he's not bad person and he treats Hae Soo gently, not to mention many moments when he talks kindly about Wang So or at least he doesn't treat him like dangerous animal). But as you said - the relationship is too fluffy. Too sweet. Wook looks like a person who is old fashioned yet so much modern in some ways. And he behaves like a person who can chose and who would be disappointed if he can't marry someone he loves. As you said - marriage in those time is all about politics not sentiments.
On the other hand... this is not documentary. It's a drama - and a drama that looks like a bit dark fairy tale. There'll be bloodshed of course but also touching love story. It would be hard to equate modern person with someone 100% Goryeo - we would have nothing in common. Even our Wang So is (I bet!) different from original Goryeo king. :) 

• Like 16

@cedarwood -- Thank you for your response. And I understand what you're saying about this not being a documentary. That said, the writer has positioned us within a particular historical context with characters that reflect that context. Aside from the fact that the showrunners haven't been very backwards about the egregious polygamy or political in-breeding at all. ;)

As for this being a dark fairy tale... there is some element of that to be sure but historically, all fairy tales are dark. The ones that we know well have been heavily sanitized throughout the years. Robert Darnton in The Great Cat Massacre did an incredible job documenting the history and themes of fairy tales as projections of socio-cultural issues that the ordinary folk were dealing with. Notice why so many stories have step-mothers in them? ;)

All I want is for us to be able to have a nuanced discussion about Uk. That's really it. It isn't about simply hating or liking him. It's not even about which coupling I'm onboard. For me these categories don't even factor into it.

• Like 10

Guest maniac-moon

I hate the way you talk to me 

I hate it when you stare

And the way you read my mind

I hate you so much that it makes me sick

It even makes me ryhme

I hate the way you're always right

I hate it when you lie

I hate it when you make me laugh

Even worse when you make me cry

I hate the way you're not around

But mostly I hate the way I don't hate you

Not even close, not even a little bit, not even at all...

Just like( this look,i hate it like crazy)i think its wang soo's feeling toward hae soo

@MadraRua borrowing your picture my friend. Apologies to everyone for posting this picture yet again, but I have a feeling no one will mind since many of us are looking forward to many moments when our OTP will be getting much closer than this. :w00t:

LOL. First, I'm sure there are a number of us on the thread who have gotten their makeup professionally done. Gotta say, I don't recall the makeup artists ever getting this close to me. :sweatingbullets:

I know episode 8 will be packed with so much, but out of all the scenes, this is the one I'm anticipating the most. Since Wangso is already physically aware of Haesoo,  I can't wait to see his reaction to her being this close. I can already hear the 'duhgun, duhgun' of his heart beating...hard and seemingly so loud that it might burst out of his chest. More than anything, though, I can't wait to see how Joongi expresses all this with his eyes.

When Jieunie/IU is working hard on something (you see this sometimes in the characters she plays), she sometimes has a tendency to stick her tongue between her lips as she's concentrating. For some reason, I doubt she'll do that in this scene, but her lips look like they're already slightly parted. It really doesn't take much more imagination to envision what their future skinship might be like.  :P

uYY2Rr0.gif

• Like 24

14 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

As for this being a dark fairy tale... there is some element of that to be sure but historically, all fairy tales are dark.

I know :) I remember reading original Grimm's tales. By writing "dark" I wanted to refer to folk tales not touched by Disney. ;)

16 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

showrunners haven't been very backwards about the egregious polygamy or political in-breeding at all. ;)

Sure but still it's not showed actually. It's like: "Yes, the king has many wives" (and we see only two of them and one concubine who is more like a servant than what we understand as concubine). "Yes they are there... somewhere..." but not showed. So it's historical on one hand but on the other it's only that much to not displease the audience. And it works perfectly. Every episode starts with "this show is creative about history" so... The history is a history but I still hope for happy ending for So/Soo (no matter how naive it sounds). ;)

20 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

All I want is for us to be able to have a nuanced discussion about Uk. That's really it. It isn't about simply hating or liking him. It's not even about which coupling I'm onboard. For me these categories don't even factor into it.

Sure it's not I just wanted to tell that I like him but I'm open to discussion and read your POV. It's really interesting. I just have to warn you that my English is awful so I may not be able to answer properly (I mean to write exactly what I mean). 

• Like 12

18 minutes ago, MrKobegiant said:

Just while we are on the LJK-IU chemistry bandwagon, IU was asked who looked after her the most and this was her reply. It starts from 1.15: 

R: Who looked after you the most on set? 

IU: Ha, ha, ha.....oh, oh. Lee Jun Ki is the oldest of the princes and has the most scenes with me. He looks after everyone on set, not just me.

Then she turned around and looked at KHN and Baek Hyun and they both had this expression: Really, everyone got look after like he did to you??? And LJK became uncharacteristically quiet and started fumbling with his clothing :) 

IU: many times we had to shoot through the night. JK oppa has many scenes he had to shoot and so he must be tired, But he promotes the comaraderie at work. When we have scenes together, he stayed back to help me rehearse even after he has finished his part.  And he observed me on camera to give me feedback. He really helped me, for that I am very grateful.  ( at this point KHN leaned over to look at LJK and gave him the thumbs up and his face expression was like ' alright matey, you are good. Why didn't I think of doing that?' LJK started nodding his head furiously) 

Poor KHN's expression at the end :cold_sweat:

I like how KHN had this "what about me?" Look LOL 

i think in his case is more like IU looked out

for him instead of the other way around, well at least that's what he said during the Vapp interview. I like the chemistry between the cast, it no wonder she has good chemistry with both Lead. 

• Like 20

23 hours ago, meahri_1 said:

@jerboa83 You're so right Chingu. These are perfection. They're done so well, they could be used as teasers. Am totally serious. As you said, the music, transitions, scene selections are spot on! What sets it apart is the content...it succeeds in giving you an accurate and moving sense of the story...perhaps too much? But if I had never heard or seen anything about the drama, I would be 100 percent sold on the strength of these alone.

I talked to the author and he/she told me which song he/she's going to use next... I can assure you that it's another AWESOME track, so subscribe to his/her channel (Kleo Li: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzK9C6rB8dh02kC4d0h2BIg) and stay tuned! I'm personally quite thrilled! ^.^ 

• Like 12

@MadraRua and @meahri_1 101% agree with you. Even though HS is a top professional make up artists, if someone looks without blinking his eyes during makeup, I m pretty sure she knows that. WS s feeling could be burst out and he grabs her into his arm and looks at her with his sincere eyes and saying that "I would not let you go"

• Like 15