[Drama 2016] Moon Lovers ❤ Scarlet Heart Ryeo, 달의 연인-보보경심 려 \^0^/ Soompi Kdrama 2016 Winner

Admin

Just got the email from the MLSHR team about the Blu-ray/DVD release project. While I'm sad that they're discontinuing their efforts, I'm happy to hear the production company is apparently working on something regarding a possible DVD release.

Thank you to the whole team who put that together and took time out of their schedules to make this request on behalf of all of us fans. It really does mean a lot. So again, thank you.

I included a copy of the email in the spoiler below for those who did not receive it.

Spoiler

Screenshot_20161127_140247.png

Screenshot_20161127_140312.png

• Like 21

Sorry, just dropping in after the holiday celebrations. Reading back on some discussions, I thought the whole, "I'll be waiting behind these fences" was more of a metaphor. I don't think she meant the actual physical fences in Jung's residence. Fences exist to separate things, people, places, etc. Soo and So are separated by a lot of things at that point in time i.e statuses, place, resentment, misunderstanding, etc., so I believe that is what she is referring to.

Fences keep things separated and protects/encloses, at the same time the people on either side can see what's on the other side, though they should not cross over. Soo and So are separated by these fences, and they can clearly see one another beyond the fences (nothing is actually keeping them physically apart), but they cannot cross these fences. The fences exist as long as they continue to misunderstand/resent each other. The fences is a metaphor of their feelings, imo.

• Like 9

Oh man, that sucks. The fans are really chopped liver after all is said and done. I am disappointed with their reasoning. I'm sure the actors/actresses should have no issue with releasing those deleted scenes, which they worked so hard to film. The PD sounds like such a total a hole on top of that. Anyway, thanks @ruizaio and the MLSHR team for putting in all that time and effort to contact the production team, and being our voice. I deeply appreciate your hard work. Thank you very much, and I'm sorry we couldn't get what we wanted in the end. But hey, at least we will get an official DVD. 

• Like 13

8 minutes ago, ruizaio said:

@Umi_ni_Sora @msgolightly9608 I guess I may not have been clear in my post. It is not certain whether or not they will release an official DVD. They were saying that they are willing to do that, but they didn't say they will do it for sure. 

That is such BS! I'm so mad right now!!! It would take MINISCULE effort on their parts to just put all the deleted scenes on the disc. Hell, we'll sub and organize it ourselves if we have to! :angry::tears:

I really hope they release an official dvd!! And I hope it's the domestic version.... and that one of the deleted scenes is the extended ending. Both LJG and IU have hinted at it and that's pretty much the same as consent! I don't see why the actors wouldn't give the rights to the scenes... I mean they filmed it with the intention of it airing in the drama!  My husband is arguing with me on the company's behalf right now( though I don't know why),  but he isn't going to win! They're doing us dirty right now!

Thank you so much for all your (and the other team members) hard work in this project. Wish we had better results but it is what it is!  (Sorry about my rant)

• Like 15

@ruizaio Thank you for the update and for all the effort you and the rest of the Korean fan team put in. I can only imagine the frustration you all had to deal with. :( If I may ask, was the fan response large enough to warrant an uncut DVD/Blu-ray release (if the production company had been willing)? I'm just curious about the numbers - I apologize/understand though if this is something you can't say.

• Like 11

9 minutes ago, ruizaio said:

I'm not at liberty to disclose specific numbers, but this particular director has released director's cut Blu-ray/DVDs for some of his previous works at less than 1/10 of the number of responses as MLSHR. This is why I keep saying he's the evil queen Yu and MLSHR is Wang So. Other works were pleasing to him like Yo and Jung, but he ruined MLSHR and can't stand to deal with it anymore.

*sigh* Figures. Definitely avoiding the director's (and writer's) future works from now on.

Thank you very much for your response  

• Like 12

26 minutes ago, ilovecoffeeandbooks said:

That is such BS! I'm so mad right now!!! It would take MINISCULE effort on their parts to just put all the deleted scenes on the disc. Hell, we'll sub and organize it ourselves if we have to! :angry::tears:

I really hope they release an official dvd!! And I hope it's the domestic version.... and that one of the deleted scenes is the extended ending. Both LJG and IU have hinted at it and that's pretty much the same as consent! I don't see why the actors wouldn't give the rights to the scenes... I mean they filmed it with the intention of it airing in the drama!  My husband is arguing with me on the company's behalf right now( though I don't know why),  but he isn't going to win! They're doing us dirty right now!

Thank you so much for all your (and the other team members) hard work in this project. Wish we had better results but it is what it is!  (Sorry about my rant)

After hearing the news about this DVD fiasco, I keep thinking about those poor actors/actress who worked very hard for this drama and actually did well even the juniors. I bet they were as disappointed as us. I wonder if JG is changing his mind about this director as he praised him and put good words regarding his previous works in the earlier days of MLSHR's promo interview. 

I also agree that he may be afraid by releasing the hidden gems, people may come to find out how poorly the decisions that were made regarding editing and aired scenes and that he screwed up. 

LOL,... I live in Oregon (Pdx Metro) so we are neighbors,.... the unhappy and angry ones..... 

• Like 13

41 minutes ago, NitaA said:

After hearing the news about this DVD fiasco, I keep thinking about those poor actors/actress who worked very hard for this drama and actually did well even the juniors. I bet they were as disappointed as us. I wonder if JG is changing his mind about this director as he praised him and put good words regarding his previous works in the earlier days of MLSHR's promo interview. 

I also agree that he may be afraid by releasing the hidden gems, people may come to find out how poorly the decisions that were made regarding editing and aired scenes and that he screwed up. 

LOL,... I live in Oregon (Pdx Metro) so we are neighbors,.... the unhappy and angry ones..... 

I am really confused. What is wrong with the drama? Thought it was beautiful as it is? It was thought provoking which is the beauty of this drama and make it unique from other Kdramas. 

I still think they would release something but it's still too soon. I thought it's like a movie. They release bluray / dvds once theater releases are done. At this stage, this drama is probably scheduled to be broacasted somewhere. It is still coming to Netflix. 

• Like 7

Related imageRelated imageImage result for Reach for the starsRelated image

Thanks to @ruizaio for the shout out and I am sad to hear about the refusal to allow the viewers an extended look at the deleted scenes and just what might have been or the ideas that might have been in their thoughts and tried. But for what ever reasons were cut.  Just seeing the what ifs would have been amazing to those who loved and still love this drama.  I honestly don't see how its not a win, win option for them just thinking about all the money they could have made.  To me though it's more about gifting back to all the viewers & fans who supported this drama and would have loved to own such a piece of work.  It's really a shame that they didn't see how much that would have meant.  Special thanks to all who worked so hard here to try and make it happen.  Hold your head up high for just the fact that you worked so hard is something to be proud of.  Not trying at all would have been the biggest mistake.  You know that saying reach for the stars well you would never be able to grab one if you never tried and there is some real sparkle in those here who reached beyond themselves and tried for all of us.  Well done to all of you...:wub:

2 hours ago, ruizaio said:

Unfortunately, the director and production companies have refused to release a DVD/Blu-ray set that combines the two versions and deleted scenes. They may release a DVD set with aired episodes (they didn't specify which version) with some of the deleted scenes as special features, but they claimed they didn't know how much of the deleted scenes would be available because they fear the actors won't agree to release their publicity rights for them (which is total BS, they're just not willing to admit there are deleted scenes and are even denying what the actors have said in their interviews). Thus, the Korean fan team has given up on this effort. We are trying to e-mail all the respondents of the demand survey, but didn't realize that gmail has a limit on how many people can receive the same e-mail at once. So I decided to bring the news here for now. I won't be using the list of tags again after this, so I apologize if you got included when you didn't want to be.

I read the email. And i understand. You tried and that alone means a lot. Thank you so much for the efforts. XX

I do not understand why they are reluctant. But if that is their decision i can't do anything. I will respect it. But I will not send postcards anymore. I will not pester them. I will not beg. I'm sorry @ilovecoffeeandbooks, i can't participate in the postcards thingy anymore. But that's just me. I hope you understand. XX

• Like 6

Well. I guess we know what happens when PD Kim Kyu-tae decides people (eg. the Korean audience) don't understand his "vision" - he takes his toys and he goes home. In my last post I said I felt bad griping about him... now I don't. I'm never going to watch another drama of his again, even if it's written by Noh Hee-kyung. (And frankly, after watching Dear My Friends - which was directed by someone else - I think she's better off without him.) I can't help but wonder how many of the aspects that turned the domestic (and some of the international) audience off the drama were things he ultimately decided. The modern OST, for instance - that sort of felt like him trying to replicate the OST of It's Okay, It's Love. IOIL had a cheerful, very hipster-esque OST with a lot of non-Korean artists. Some people felt it didn't mesh well with the subject of the drama, and that the placing of songs was odd - eg. dubstep during a dramatic flashback. In addition, upbeat instrumental BGM was often played during somber or intense scenes - not unlike the cheerful, plinky music playing when Hae Soo was trying to escape her marriage to King Taejo in the international version. There was speculation the tonal dissonance was intentional for IOIL, but I don't think that explanation makes sense for MLSHR. Using an upbeat instrumental for a tense scene in a sageuk (fusion though it is) makes the scene farcical. 

Personally, I bought MLSHR's OST, like most of the songs, and didn't find most of the song placements in the SBS version (post-episode three) too objectionable... but I can't help but wonder what the OST would have been like if it had been in the vein of Lee Sun-hee's "Fate", like was apparently originally planned. And maybe none of that is KKT's fault. Maybe it was all YG. I don't know. I've just never felt like a drama director ever held his or her audience (and even actors, to a certain extent) in contempt - but here I really, really do feel like that.

The idea that the actors wouldn't want all of their scenes to be released is laughable, IMO, and is at odds with what Kang Han-na, Jin Ki-joo, Ji Soo, and Yoon Sun-woo have said. Speaking of which - why on earth would various actors' interviews be edited to remove the references to deleted scenes? Do the people behind MLSHR hate it that much? I don't get it. Unless - to cling to some sort of silver lining here - they really did cut the scenes in order to reassemble them into a feature film, and that's why everyone is being so cagey and the director's cut DVD won't be released. That might also account for why so many So/Soo scenes, specifically, were cut - if their loveline was supposed to be the focal point of a film. But that makes too much sense, and this situation just isn't very sensical to me. Or maybe there was supposed to be a film, but the poor domestic response nixed that idea. I don't know. I just don't know. (Obviously.)

To look on the brighter side of things: I now feel even more grateful to every PD and production team who release director's cut DVDs. And if we do in fact get a DVD release - even if it's only what was aired - I will buy it, as long as it's the SBS version. But that raises another question: Would it be the SBS version? Logically, one would think that would be the version the Korean audience would like to buy... but given how this production team has handled things, who the heck knows.

Anyway. Rant over. I guess I'll have to rewatch some MLSHR to make myself feel better. ;)

Edited by realmsoflove
edited to clarify about the instrumental BGM in addition to the OST.
  • Like 18

2 hours ago, ruizaio said:

@Umi_ni_Sora @msgolightly9608 I guess I may not have been clear in my post. It is not certain whether or not they will release an official DVD. They were saying that they are willing to do that, but they didn't say they will do it for sure. 

They're not willing to do it because it didnt get high ratings in Korea. That sucks! Im sure the actors are willing to do it for the fans! 

Thanks @ruizaio and the MLSHR for keeping us updated! :)

• Like 5