[Drama 2016] Moon Lovers ❤ Scarlet Heart Ryeo, 달의 연인-보보경심 려 \^0^/ Soompi Kdrama 2016 Winner

Admin

Hi everyone, it's been a while, I was away for a while to focus a little on my exam, ( I guess I flunked it :P hahaha never mind) and now I'm back and have tons of pages to read, one thing I will always be thankful for this drama is its ability to evoke such a range of emotions and opinions  from it's viewers, be it sadness, happiness, frustration, anger, sweetness, etc. with all its faults it's still a great drama, and I'll be watching it again and again in the future.  

@Akiddo reached the page in which you post your predictions for the next episodes. What you wrote was soo beautiful and so sad, although I want HS to die in WS's arms, I will accept it if the last two episodes are the same as your writing, even if I'm gonna cry my eyes till they're completely dry. 

• Like 12

• Guest changed the title to [Current Drama 2016]Moon Lovers ❤ Scarlet Heart Ryeo 달의 연인-보보경심 려 ~ \^0^/ Final Two Episodes : Oct 31 & Nov . 1
53 minutes ago, bitofmadness said:

I don't know if it is only me, but I keep on seeing a connection between all the warriors/war generals in this drama. It seems to me that they are good at fighting battles, but not good with politics. Look at what the palace does to Mu and Soon Deok. General Park calls it quits, and now Jung is in exile. 

All of them seem to share this idealistic oath to protect the people they love. At first, I thought that their instincts to survive in the battlefield would help them out in the palace. However after dwelling on it for a little more, I’ve come to a realisation. Personally, I have not lived through war but my parents and grandparents survived two wars. After hearing what they have been through, I think I can understand where these characters are coming from and why they are written in such ways. At the end of the day, these characters are at the battlefront. They are the ones who have blood on their hands, which reminds me of this quote:

“The soldiers above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war.” - Douglas MacArthur 

With this in mind, I can understand why their characters would suffocate. You have to backstab others in order to survive in the palace. However at the battlefields, they are driven by camaraderie in order to survive.  For those they love, they sacrifice.They gave their tomorrow, for our today. On screen, they might look like dumb and one-dimensional characters (I blame the editing for this) who are going to get themselves killed. However, in real life I think all of us would appreciate their courage and noble sacrifices. 

There are enough snakes in the palace. I think the writer wants us to see that there is still selflessness in the world of Goryeo. And the selflessness lies in the hearts of these warriors who are fighting for what we value today. Maybe the writer does not want to discredit real life heroes by making all of them play the game…or maybe I’m just thinking too deep y’all. boring-crazy-rabbit-emoticon.gif?1292793

But it would have been spectacular to see how war shapes these characters’ mindsets. At least, give us an explanation to why Jung is acting this way. He was one of the characters I rooted for in the beginning. I get why he is so devoted to HaeSoo's happiness now..but I am pretty sure there are certain POVs the writer could have explored to justify his other actions. Him questioning the legitimacy of the throne is not wrong - just that it could have been portrayed in another manner rather than through personal grudges. Too bad, we are at episode 19 now. dunno-crazy-rabbit-emoticon.gif?12927937

i think every position in goryeo gets curse/jinx like defence against the dark art teacher in HP, they cannot stay in that position for more than 1 year and the end they become miserable, general position curse is live/stay out of goryeo palace after their service to the nation....... before goryeo king's curse (lonely) queen's curse (unloved by her husband) :sweatingbullets:

• Like 12

It's what makes it real, the individual stories within this drama that not only allows you to see Love In All It's Forms.  But allows each of us to feel Happiness & Sadness, Hope & Despair, Kindness & Cruelty, Truth & Lies, And yes Love & Hate...

Related imageRelated imageRelated imageRelated imageRelated imageRelated imageRelated imageRelated imageRelated imageRelated imageRelated imageRelated imageRelated imageRelated imageRelated imageRelated imageRelated imageRelated imageRelated imageRelated imageImage result for Moon Lovers Scarlet Heart Ryeo Episode 18Related imageRelated imageRelated imageRelated imageRelated imageRelated image  A Real Journey Of The Heart, Theirs & Ours..:heart:

credit & thanks to all original owners of all photos...

20 hours ago, staygold said:

IKR!!! I am sure the director did it to satisfy his desire to see them play leads in romance drama. He even said that in one of the bts clips!!! I hate u PDnim!!! crazy-monkey-emoticon-026.gif?1292792385

I think the director said it to KHN and IU :blink: but I think the chemistry is much better between LJG and IU.:wub:

• Like 17

2 minutes ago, USAFarmgirl said:

It's what makes it real, the individual stories within this drama that not only allows you to see Love In All It's Forms.  But allows each of us to feel Happiness & Sadness, Hope & Despair, Kindness & Cruelty, Truth & Lies, And yes Love & Hate...

A Real Journey Of The Heart, Theirs & Ours..:heart:

credit & thanks to all original owners of all photos...

Looking at those photos, those were the days when they were happy, goofing around. How I miss those days. Sob!! Sob!!

• Like 12

On 27/10/2016 at 6:30 PM, Adnana said:

@briseis I disagree. If E18 did one thing right, is build up to the inevitability of Wang So having to give in to the clans' pressure in order to protect his as-yet very tenuous hold on the throne. Hae Soo's decision to reject his marriage proposal in the established context wasn't noble idiocy but necessary sacrifice.

There was NO noble idiocy in E18. At least, not in the first half.

Let's review the facts.

Wang So is a newly crowned king, who hasn't had enough time (and resources) yet to build a strong foundation for his throne. Moreover, there are still ugly rumors swirling in the background, questioning the very legitimacy of his ascension. No small thing, that. All of which means, So's position as King is very shaky. Not enough, maybe, that a strong, concentrated gust (of opposition) could blow him off the throne... but not far off it either.

Goryeo itself is still a young, vulnerable nation, made up of many rival clans with conflicting interests, tenuously held together. How easily So's own maternal clan, led by Jung, comes before King Gwangjong in E17, questioning his right to rule and threatening secession. The many powerful clans of the land, with their significant share of economic power, their sizeable private armies and their complicated agendas, hold all the real power and Goryeo's king at that point in history has a very limited scope of what he can actually do. If he doesn't juggle the complex game of politics well, he might even get to see the whole fragile nation disbanding before his eyes. Queen Hwangbo is right when she matter-of-factly warns So of the risk that one misstep might shatter his father, King Taejo's, great legacy.

"Are you going to let Goryeo fall apart during your reign, Your Majesty?"

So's position as a young, untested King--in just a few short years he's the 3rd in a line of princes that have so far failed to prove themselves worthy successors of Taejo--is particularly untenable in the drama. Whereas historical Wang So had the support of three powerful clans (maternal, adopted, wife's), drama Wang So stands alone. He's been cut off by his maternal clan (the Chungju Yoos are even actively working against him), his adopted Shinju Kang clan seems to have vanished in the woodwork (bad writing, there), and there's no wife. The General who made So's rebellion succeed is gone, too. In a land where power is derived from the clans, So has no clans supporting his rule. When they boycott him, there's nothing he can do, no alliance of stronger clans he can call upon to keep the others in check.

With the General gone, there's no military might he can call upon either--not that it would have been a solution anyway. Now that his rebellion has succeeded, the fight has moved from the military to the political arena, and that's where So has to play now, and win. I mean, it's not like he can kill everyone, right? Then there'd be no ministers, no court left to rule over--and everyone else left from all the clans would be baying for the king's blood. In truth, it's still much too early for it to be viable (or even possible) to implement the bloody purges that Gwangjong comes to be known for much later, when his reign is secure. 

In any case, did you catch how King Gwangjong showed up for Court but there was neither hide nor hair of his ministers or any court officials to be seen? He had to wait impotently, sitting on his throne in an empty room (talk about heavy-handed symbolism!) until Wook showed up with his demands. Outrageous demands, that the King relinquish all his financial and military authority--but demands that Wook felt safe to make because he had the backing of the clans, whereas the King had no backing, and so the King was weak, and so all the power that the King was being asked to hand over was actually his in name only and not available in fact for him to wield. Not without the support of the clans.

I won't even get into all the reasons why the clans and the entire Court would have been outraged had King Gwangjong chosen Hae Soo as his Queen. Frankly, her scar--though the taboo against a scarred woman belonging to the King is real and deeply-ingrained enough to not be easily challenged in Goryeo society--is a minor issue compared to:

1) her status as a mere court lady who's served many kings over many years

2) her belonging to a minor clan only (if she wasn't disinherited by them completely, that is, which is actually very likely after that debacle when she almost married the late King Taejo)

3) her suspect behavior at Damiwon, which includes her unusual knowledge of various aspects, her alien writing etc.--all of which made Soo personally very suspicious and particularly questionable as the King's potential partner.

"She has no background. Yet, she has many weaknesses."

And for the King to reject all available princesses, all the noble daughters from the powerful clans, and instead marry a suspect little nobody like Soo? Moreover, a scarred nobody?! Not only would the nobles have been personally offended, but they might have also--rightfully--questioned the King's sanity. Or at least his capacity to act as a real ruler should.

In the Court's eyes, not only was Soo too severely lacking in all aspects (background, position, behavior; and yes, the scar) to ever be considered worthy to marry the King, but she was even liable to fall in personal danger because of the existing suspicions about her. Like, her alien writing--might it mean that she was a foreign spy? Let's not even talk about Soo being accepted as the King's bride; if some powerful accusers had stepped forward, and with some extra fabricated evidence, she might have seen her very life endangered. And maybe not even the King--as weak as he is now--could have protected her. You do remember King Taejo (comparatively more secure in his reign, and considerably more powerful at the time) and how he still had to sacrifice Lady Oh, right?

Once again, I've written too much, but the short and main of it is, there was no way in hell that So could marry Soo and keep his throne at this point in time. He could NOT go against all the clans for Soo because he was at the start of his reign, and much too weak. He would NOT have won, could not have won such a fight--but his rash actions had he tried that route would have likely precipitated the very worst-case-scenario, namely the dissolution of Goryeo itself. So knew all that, but he was too stubborn and proud and determined not to break another promise to Soo, so he proposed to her anyway. Soo knew it too, so she refused his proposal. And So was absolutely not in a position to argue against Soo's selfless decision. No noble idiocy involved on either side, just clear-headed acceptance of the unavoidable facts.

So literally had no choice but to let Soo refuse him and pick a powerful wife instead, like he should have done in the first place. He did NOT marry Yeonhwa because Soo told him to; he married her because it had to be done, only he refused to do it until Soo allowed him to. He needed Yeonhwa's clan's support to finally get the other clans to acknowledge him and allow him to act as King (i.e. by actually showing up for Court).

One last thing. As I see it, faced with the untenable (give up making Soo his Queen or lose the throne), So gritted his teeth, strangled his soul-deep outrage and unwillingness and compromised. He married Yeonhwa for the chance to at last become King in fact as well as name--that is, for the chance to grow the power he needed not to be forced to EVER compromise again. He couldn't marry Soo now, and that's why he's so angry and why he's turned so much darker and sinister after his wedding to Yeonhwa and why he's hardcore giving in to his ruthless side & going for vengeance now that he finally can--but I'm positive that his ultimate goal is to bide his time and arrive at a place of unshakable strength from where he really CAN fight the clans, and the whole world if need be, and win. A position from where he can finally safely reach for Hae Soo and hold her to him without endangering her, or his throne. Little does he know that by the time he rises to that position, it will be too late. Soo will have already left him--not by simply stepping outside the Palace (where So could, and would, have brought her back eventually)--but in a far more permanent and soul-crushing way.

Very thought provoking post @Adnana!  I totally agree with you in most parts.

I very much support GJ's action & his decisions being a new King.  House cleaning is a must.  I find it very frustrating/disappointing to watch any Puppet King, so I'd rather see him that way than being dominated by the powerful clans during in his reign.

GJ choosing the throne over HS is something that I was expecting already, considering the politics in that era.  Besides he already did few years back when decided to ascend to the throne and broke up with her.  Perhaps WS already knew that keeping HS while aiming for the throne won't be easy.  General Park said he has to give up the other.  But LOVE is a very strong force to resist and I don't find any reason why they should either.  Since they happened to reconcile before he ascended to the throne, I was just hoping that while he is solidifying the foundation necessary for his plan for change, they may also be able continue to build/collect good memories to leave no regrets knowing that they will certainly part later on considering HS's health condition.  They can express their love to their hearts content and deal with their worries later.  Basically, my life motto is to think and decide with the end in mind.  So I want them to seize the moment because they may not get the chance tomorrow.

I also don't think that HS is suitable as Queen, maybe if he's not a King they were suited for each other.  She's too emotional to be logical sometimes and she will certainly give more burden to him, when he already had so much in his shoulder.  What GJ told her that dealing with her is much harder that handling government issues, could be a joke but at some point is partly true.  Her being a surface thinker who make decision without considering the outcome will drive him insane. :D What she did with Jung & mother Queen is just one example. Jung is supposed to be killed as punishment for leaving his hometown and coming to the palace, but GJ didn't do as ordered because of her.  Who will respect and honor his word/order now that the palace knew he can't keep his word? It's all because of her lack of respect to his authority not only as a man but as a King.

Men/Women before they decide to marry someone, they must wholeheartedly accept their partner for who and what they are first, good, bad and ugly. :D  Because once married, there will be lots of surprises and perhaps worst discoveries.   :D  I am not scaring the unmarried here, just stating some facts.   If Soo's sole intention to be with WS or marrying him is to help him change for not becoming a bloody monarch, as written in the history she knew, it's a wish upon a falling star.  This is one of those considered unrealistic expectations in marriage or being with someone.  Even nowadays, that wish of changing a person or hope they will change once they got married or just because of them, rarely happens.  It is better to expect the worst, that way it will be less frustrating.  If this is hard and difficult for regular couples, how much more for GJ' who had so much baggage/burdens from his past to carry.  GJ being ruthless is something she was already aware of and yet she got very angry with what he did to CR?  She should have asked him why first, just like the time when he told her he killed people, instead of accusing him.  In her eyes, WS suddenly became a monster and it hurts WS. Had she asked first, she could have learned to truth and have understood his action instead of blaming him.  Now what she does infuriates GJ, he now wanted those people who made him a monster in her eyes pay.  But we can see how WS handled things differently, when it comes to palace matters and when it comes to Soo.  He showed no mercy and wanted to kill those who are against his ascension on the throne but very understanding, loving and patient when it comes to Soo.  But for how long?  Obviously, it doesn't take long and he already got pissed with her.  Her desire to tame him to prevent bloodshed will be most likely the possible root cause of him to be more violent or ruthless later on.  Good thing he still know how to restrain himself now, when it comes to her, but not guaranteed for the next episode.

• Like 24

19 hours ago, vwj1 said:

I think for me, I became obsessed with them from the very beginning when he pushed her off his horse after having saved her from falling into the river bank. That was so unexpected (as pretty much everything else in this drama is for me), I laughed out loud. It should not have been funny but it was so funny.  Her wide eyed direct gazing of him and then her scream when she fell and her indignation and his surprise that she would dare berate him after having saved her, made me love this couple instantly.  Added to this was all his emotions flitting beautifully across his face in matters of seconds at her audacity. And he didn't even have to say a word during this scene and I still understood all. 

I love their chemistry, their interactions with each other. I love their journey of falling in love. I love every scene of them. Most drama has maybe just a couple of memorable scenes with the OTPs, but our OTP's EVERY scene is unforgettable. And that is why we ache to see more of them and we feel so cheated that there is just not enough scenes of them.  And why we are so invested emotionally in this couple.  They just work as a couple even though the drama is all about how they can't work as a couple.  

I'm just glad I can be a witness to their love. ;-)

Same here. I really liked their interactions from the beginning that is why I hate Wook and the Wook-Soo episodes because if it wasn't for him, the attraction between So and Soo would have blossomed from that first meeting.  They were definitely attracted to each other from the beginning, they just didn't know it until too late :tears: I want to re-edit the whole drama for myself taking out the Wook-Soo equation and any other unnecessary and distracting scenes, that will be my Christmas present to myself :lol:

• Like 16

19 hours ago, violet90 said:

you know what character beside YH and WW that i really hate..?

JM character... his duty for me is making the history and nothing else matter.. his loyalty is always with the king or future king and you can see he know who the future king are.. since the beginning he does't stop Su from helping So but when she want to change thing he stop her.. JM knew Su is the key to make So as a king so he do what he can to get Su closer to So.. just like when putting Su in the palace and close to So.. 

what bother me is when he ask Su to give up on marrying So and she have pain in her chest.. JM face is like he know she going to die soon and he can't and won't do anything about it.. if So know that Su is sick even the throne he will give that up to be with Su.. his character not evil but he willing to do anything to make sure So rules for 26 year and the queen must be YH.. 

its just plain suck to see how his character selfishly do everything to make a king and feeling for him don't matter.. at least he loyal to So but if So know that JM know about Su fate and did't tell him i want to know what So will do to him...

I wonder whether it will be JM that tells So that Soo is from the future and does not belong with him, that she is just a catalyst to further his destiny and this will be why he will finally let her go. On her deathbed he will be there and tell her that he will find a way to her wherever she goes, hence the building of numerous Buddhist temples in the latter part of his reign.

• Like 13

17 hours ago, sosooyah19 said:

http://www.asiaartistawards.com/vote/result_2/6/#v2nd

another voting! however i think this needs app download to vote.. (*sigh* my phone just broke a month ago so im using a basic phone) 

4th prince still in the 4th.. keep on voting everyone! (they count per device i think) ;)

I downloaded the app but it asks for an authorization code for your mobile phone, don't know what that is, so I am stuck. Sorry LJG can't vote for you here :(

• Like 4

15 hours ago, may6 said:

this might be an unpopular belief ,  but i really believe that by the end  of it all...queen yo really wanted to reach to so ,sort of like in a plea ...i kind of heard her mumbling his name ...trying to pronounce it  with her last breath...i don't view that scene as her scratching  his face...more like with all that is left of me..with my last  effort .... i don't even have any strength left but please forgive me... he was busy  telling her all about his plan..that he didn't see how desperate she was trying to reach him ....i mean queen yo was bad and all , but in her heart she knew she did him wrong and his last words really brought her to the root of it all..all that was left was to apologize ...who wants to leave with all this pain and hate...i would like to think that she decided at her last minute to let  it all go...even her pride and struggle for a sort of motherly apology and acknowledgement ... that he too was her son and that she treated  him like she did because she was unable to forgive herself ...it is  not that she was uncapable of love, is just that she was unable to ... to love her mistakes and to punish him  and deny him  of her love, was to deny herself of her self forgiveness and of  his as well...it was just   really such a toxic relationship... and like  how many have  already wonderfully pointed out, they were so much alike...that  i am willing to believe  that they both forgave  each other... 

I wish they made it more clear. If you are right then maybe that is why they played the beautiful dying scene song for her, but they should have voiced over her dying thoughts one way or the other.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, yuhotarubi said:

@Akiddo reached the page in which you post your predictions for the next episodes. What you wrote was soo beautiful and so sad, although I want HS to die in WS's arms, I will accept it if the last two episodes are the same as your writing, even if I'm gonna cry my eyes till they're completely dry. 

Thanks for reading that long post...

I am also holding out for a better farewell between the OTP  but I am not sure how that will happen given that GJ is not a man who forgives easily. He loves deeply but he hates in equal measure. 

General Park warned him about karma - that it will come back to bite him one day. A foreboding statement because one action leads to another outcome. By barring Jung from seeing their mother, is that a hint for what's to come? Would Jung cause some form of misunderstanding between So and Soo? Would he be the main reason why they didn't meet in the end? I shudder at that thought. 

Tong Hua really did a great job developing the BBJX story and gave so much material for the C and K drama adaptation. Gave us a lot to discuss too.  I have enjoyed a lot of the analyses here - making my viewing experience even more enjoyable (and painful) than the C drama version which I love. 

I am binge watching MLSHR from the beginning this weekend to pass time and prepare for Mon and Tue. Interestingly, I appreciate Wook's gradual plunge into the dark end more this time round. Eun no longer irritates me - I watch his interaction with Soon Deok with sadness knowing that she could have escaped death by marrying Jung or Baek Ah. Of course - the OTP's development makes more sense now given that their love is not based on fluffy, feel good feelings but one that came from compassion, understanding and respect between humans. I miss the spunky, old Soo. In the words of Qiao Hui in BBJX - "What kind of place is this palace - one that can reduce a normal, healthy person to this state?" 

I have never looked at a kdrama in such detail before and I really relish this experience as it may never happen again. 

• Like 15

I feel that this may be just my denial, but I still find Jimong's existence in this drama means something. C-BBJX doesn't have Jimong and if the Korean version has the same ending with the original, it doesn't need Jimong here. Is his purpose in this story merely to explain to So about Soo's time travelling? But Soo can do that herself like RX did. Will Jimong serve as a twist in the end, when everything seems hopelessly go the same way as C-BBJX?

Don't mind me, I just try to remain positive because thinking about the ending is killing me. I can't wait for the ending but I don't want this drama to end :sweatingbullets: 

• Like 14