[Drama 2016] Moon Lovers ❤ Scarlet Heart Ryeo, 달의 연인-보보경심 려 \^0^/ Soompi Kdrama 2016 Winner

Admin

2 hours ago, ossy91 said:

@minmar  the clip say . Ogu ogu uri haesoo charanda .. or our haesoo had a great job..if i not wrong..

Thank you @ossy91  So actually they are nodding enthusiastically and drooling....  :lol:

And I thought it might be an advert for Moon Lovers merchandise... a set of matching bobble heads... Lee and Kang

• Like 8

12 hours ago, maskros said:

It's fine ^^ It's personal preference  after all and I respect your difference in taste. Not trying to force my preference on you or anything. While we're at the topic of fashion I just want to say that this kind of style has grown on me, that's all :P 

No no it's fine I got what you meant. ;) 

9 hours ago, hiluna said:

With the announcement of even more pop singers I really wonder whether the music PD is out to ruin this drama. It is going to sound like a modern radio got transported into the past with IU and is playing K-pop music in the background. The PDs seem desperate to make this drama "popular" rather than "good" :P

Not necessarily - most saeguks have few songs, not just one. They mostly do as a background music at end credits. Sure, some of them we could hear in the actual drama but maybe not too much?

2 hours ago, peny said:

I watched SFD, but not finish it. Maybe I should continue from where I drop this drama. I like the story but I am too chicken to watch LBW vs his teacher XD

Finish it. It's the best long saeguk I've seen so far. :)

2 hours ago, peny said:

Here is a glimpse of their fighting scene :D

Woah! Can't wait to see it in the drama!!! :w00t:

2 hours ago, peny said:

All of you are jjang <3

Ha! Good opportuniity for cedarwood! What means "jjang"?

19 minutes ago, minmar said:

I thought it might be an advert for Moon Lovers merchandise... a set of matching bobble heads... Lee and Kang

:lol::lol::lol:

Thank you @LyraYoo for those amazing pix of Wang So! I stare at his clothes all the time - beautiful!!!

• Like 7

5 hours ago, bnersh said:

Hi all! I just happened to come across the trailer for this drama on SBS's twitter and am def intrigued.

But i have some questions. I don't kno if this has been answered before, but any ideas why lee jun ki has his left eye covered? Also, is it just me or do they seem to be talking in almost modern day language (considering its set in goryeo)? I typically have a hard time understanding the language in saguks, but i was able to understand almost everything in the trailer o_o

@bnersh Lee Joon Gi said that in this drama would be used the modern tone, but I can not remember if it was in a fanmeeting or an interview or his VAPP Live. And then also he talked about it in an interview for Geek magazine.

Q.   You have the absolute popularity from China. The number of your weibo followers is slightly shy of the number of Seoullite. Don’t you feel pressure about the drama which is adapted from the Chinese novel which was already made into a drama in China?  
R.   I read the novel and watched the Chinese version drama as well but I did not watch them through since they were only for reference. I was afraid lest I should get afterimages if I was immersed in them.  I think that <Scarlet Heart:Ryeo> should be considered as a new (different) work which absorbed only the good points from the novel and the drama. We are making our own <Scarlet Heart> with the backdrop of Goryeo era. It will be the drama that everyone can enjoy. It’s light and modern. Actually, I am working on my tone because the stiff tone of period drama comes out in spite of myself.  

• Like 9

7 hours ago, LyraYoo said:

With regards to the OST's 

I think I need to see how the OST tracks shall be fit with the actual broadcast. Might as well be informed that this is a fusion/fantasy sageuk after all, which means a marriage of the modern and old. Watching the script reading, director Kim Gyu Tae gave emphasis on how this drama will be different for unofficial sageuks (he coined the unofficial because there are some sageuks made with slight variation from the written history ) .

From this point on , I may say the drama is already a commercial success--400k dollars (thanks

I can not just rely on the teasers or the released OST tracks to have a quick judgement on how those will be utilized in the storytelling. Like we only have TWO DAYS TO GO ! Woot!

My apology in advance for being a broken record and for the upcoming wall of text :P I've put my 'essay' in the spoiler tag so anyone not interested in reading may just skip it and enjoy other posts/ updates :D .

Spoiler

First, I have to admit that I'm a die hard fan of sageuks/ historical dramas/movies and I tend to have very well defined taste when it comes to this genre. 

I often distinguish between 'light' and 'serious' sageuks, rather than conventional versus fusion. To me, light sageuks treat narratives in a lighter, more modern tone, with added comical effects and historical facts remain as reference at best. Historical correctness is never a focus and its target audience is spelt out as either the younger demographic or viewers who want a break from the heavy political focus of more serious sageuks. If a drama is spelt out from the beginning as a 'light' sageuk, I will accept it as is and my expectation will be kept accordingly on all counts.

'Serious' sageuks, on the contrary, place at its heart historical issues, most commonly politics or challenge-ably cultural and social dilemmas. Historical facts lie at the backbone of the drama and historical correctness is maintained as much as possible. This lies not only in how the turn of events actually occurred in history, but is also evident through the characters' mannerism, including appropriate demeanour and language, among other things. They may not have the most fancy costumes or sets, but everything they have offer valuable insights, which are faithful to history to a certain extent, into life in the past. Depending on its intention, a fusion sageuk can easily fit into this 'serious' category. Apart from some unrealistic plot details, such as time travel, the story still retains the turns of events as exactly happened in history, and tries its best to incorporate historically correct mannerism, rituals, costumes and traditions. Since the original C-drama BBJX tries to stick as much as possible with historical correctness, and its original intention is not to focus on comedy, I treat it as belonging to this 'serious' category.

Now 'light' sageuks can be as wild in their choice of music, acting style and even speech style for all I care, because they do not aim to be anything grand or serious in the first place. On the other hand, if a sageuk decides to go down the other path, I have high expectations for it. Now everything aside, the music sets the tone and mood for a whole drama and movie and becomes an identity of the said drama/ movie itself. Viewers can tell from listening to a piece of music whether they're about to watch a historical drama/ movie about a heart-throbbing and bittersweet love story, an epic battle, or a fight for justice. For historical dramas, nothing fits better and more beautifully than instrumental music/ traditional or sweet sounding songs for light or emotional moments, and epic music for epic scenes. Thrown a K-popish song with randomly inserted English verses in, or a piece of rap, and the drama itself becomes confusing identity-wise (well, to me, at least). Of course, one can argue that there is an element of modernity in this drama, but again, a time-travel drama where the main character is carried to the past is very different from a drama where the hero/ heroine is carried from the past to the future. In BBJX, the history remains at the backdrop of everything that is going to happen. While I'm watching SH, I'm not connecting to the modern age through Haesoo, nor is any of the princes. The modern speech they learn from her is just a drop in the ocean to be very honest. It's not like Haesoo brings with her a fresh breeze of modernity to the Goryeo age and changes the world view or lifestyle of people back then. If anything, she will as time goes on, learn to blend in with the Goryeo era and people, as much as Rouxi herself gradually comes to terms with things in the past, despite her agency (which is built on modern values and beliefs) still playing an important role in how she leads her life. In other words, through Haesoo I'm connecting to the broader historical Goryeo society and its structure, and how Haesoo goes about living her life and enacting her agency in that setting. Then there is the argument that this sageuk does not attempt to be grand or serious, which I will have to disagree with respect. If anything, the 6-minute previews for both China and S.Korea promise the very opposite. In those previews, the light and comedic moments are only a fraction compared to the heart-tugging, emotional scenes or epic political fights, which themselves are very clear indications and promises of the direction that this drama is heading to. Therefore, considering all of these, the choice of modern music to me is completely out of tune and out of place with the narrative. It doesn't matter whether these pieces will accompany certain scenes or will go as independent soundtracks at the beginning and the end of each episode. Either way they still are an ill fit to me and with this choice of music the show has already lost some of its distinctive identity and the epicness in the previews has now been reduced to a partly broken promise.

Well, call me as taking things too seriously or too difficult to please. Still I just need to rant because I know there is nothing I can do for the PDs to change their mind :P. I know many people do not mind the choice of music and many actually love the songs, which I agree sound lovely on their own. I respect people's liking for more modern music in SHR but at the same time can't ignore my disappointment, being a die hard fan of historical dramas/ movies as I am, so I just need a place to vent my frustration and move on before the drama starts :( 

Sorry for the rant everyone :( 

• Like 7

@makros I totally understand and sympathize if you feel a bit uncomfortable about the direction you see this going. Your love of sageuk is like the love of opera. There's nothing wrong with modern music you simply prefer the grand and inspiring tone of the classics. It certainly seems Joon is saying not to expect the likes of SFD or the other nearly perfect historical portrayals you'd prefer. Yet at the same time I don't think we are going to see a modern dance scene break out between the prince and guards.

continued behind the screen.

Spoiler

I think it was the director's intent to bring the 21st Century, as conveyed by the music, along with Hasoo into Goryeo. Music is a large part of every culture and it feels more natural if we experience this as the fantasy Hasoo sees it to be. I think it was @cedarwood  who pointed out the modern music that fit so well in the fight scenes for A*M. Also I remember when I first saw a musical by Andrew Lloyd Weber.  The scoring was discordant and not written in a key western ears were accustomed to hearing. But OMG do I love it now.  For sure they sounded nothing like the classics but now they fit so well with the stories.

Now that you have a better idea what to expect it may not be as annoying as you might think. Maybe?

• Like 9

LOL. I just had to share. I know many of us have talked about how great the chemistry and camaraderie is between all our cast members. I found the perfect illustration of that. See below where Joongi has a comfortable hold on Haneul's thigh. And if you watch the video (the bobbing head one), uri Haneul thinks nothing of it.  How touchy feely is our cast?? Ummm. I think they're very comfortable with each other! :lol:

touchy-feely_zpsfmfqgv79.jpg

Also posting this because I LOVE that Joongi ALWAYS leans towards uri Jieunie (IU). To be honest, I wish she felt comfortable and free to follow his lead, but she's pretty consistent about stuff like this and I'm guessing it's to avoid potential scandal.  

I'm truly glad and very thankful because he's been taking really good care of her (and we see this often too with others in the cast as well). In the video below, you watch them reach out to each other naturally and comfortably, and he claps for her and she does the same for him. He's continued to be for her, a very vocal supporter, and I couldn't ask for a better partner for her.  He is truly jjang!!! (the best) :wub:

Mr%20lean_zpsnnv7qbsy.jpg

• Like 11

Psst @lisethvr. I feel like you and I may be the only ones here. Just looked at the time and realized they'll be releasing the preview soon!!!!  :w00t:

Hi @Gabi Bros @LyraYoo and @dhia205 !!!  They're supposed to be releasing the video at 2:30 KST, right? I may be wrong, but I think a few times they've released things a little early.

• Like 8

Thank you everyone for wonderful updates.

On 8/25/2016 at 9:09 PM, lisethvr said:

Distributed at the press conference

Thank you @lisethvr. What a wonderful presentation. We don't usually see that in Press. Conf.

@MAROSA_JIN thank you for great stills and article about "baby Joon Gi."  (pg. 122)

@LyraYoo Thank you for the amazing new stills from NamooActors and for the script-reading with Eng. sub (pg. 122), as well as the interview and date with KHN.  Lucky Singapore fans...! And thank you for English subbed character chart too.  so many goodies. :)

On 8/25/2016 at 10:06 PM, Niki Azia said:

hope the rating can beat DOTS too. if not i hope they can get above 20%

Me too... Hoping that after all this hard work, it will show up also with amazing ratings.

@uuugogirl, Thank you fro the relationship chart (pg. 122)
@Misstwilightfan1416, thank you for the subbed extended highlight from DramaFever.  hmmm. Usually they have an article with these.. When are they planning to release that, I wonder.. Monday morning?

@lisethvr, thank you for the fans art.

Bellow is video #3

(engsub) Moonlovers Scarlet heart Ryeo:special intro#3(달의 연인-보보경심 려,Lee Joon Gi/Junki)

• Like 12

7 hours ago, minmar said:

I think it was @cedarwood  who pointed out the modern music that fit so well in the fight scenes for A*M.

Yup. It was me. And I was surprised too. :)

6 hours ago, Misstwilightfan1416 said:

7 Minute Preview (DramaFever)

Do I miss anything? Because it doesn't work in my country (as almost every video from DF). :( 

• Like 8