[Drama 2016] Moon Lovers ❤ Scarlet Heart Ryeo, 달의 연인-보보경심 려 \^0^/ Soompi Kdrama 2016 Winner

Admin

35 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

While I adored this episode and thought it the best one yet, it also occurred to me that the writer is really trying to avoid any kind of triumphalism where So is concerned. It's sort of evil if you ask me but it does suggest that he will be a fully fleshed out character. Before So ( and the audience) can really enjoy and savour this rare moment of victory, the writer throws a spanner in the works. It suddenly occurs to Su that the "dreaded" Gwangjung is none other than the 4th Prince whom she helped. It's as what I said last night, there's just no respite for the protagonists. Just when they've jumped through one hoop, the writer decides to put up yet another obstacle that they have to overcome before we can gleefully celebrate the coming of this pairing. Who knows how many more of those we have to weather before finally they both say "I do"... metaphorically.

I'm a little disappointed that Su has such a naive view of history although I realise that's mostly the point. She epitomises the best and worst of our time. She's broad-minded and tolerant where it matters for the most part but that understanding is coloured by 21st century orthodoxy regarding individualism. Goryeo, however, isn't an individualist society. Sooner or later to survive, one has to play the game to achieve the bigger picture. It is clear, therefore, that Hae Su's 21st century worldview is a double-edged sword.

One of my favourite things about this episode is that we got to see the genuinely intelligent side of So. It's really one of the things I love about him that aside from being passionate, moody and obsessive... he can be so perceptive and logical. The passionate and obsessive part he no doubt inherited from his mother and the more left-brained qualities... that's definitely from Taejo. I think Taejo is well-aware that his 4th son probably has the all the qualities to be king more than any of his other sons -- mental acuity and versatility as well as a pragmatic ruthlessness. A case in point: So saw through Ji-mong's ploy unclouded in his judgement by tradition, superstition and religious fervour.

I can't blame him for being more than a little "obsessed" with Hae Su. With our 21st century eyes, we think it's all rather medieval (well, yeah duh)... to talk about people like they're chattel. But looking at the situation from his point of view. He doesn't know she's from the future with radical notions of equality and looking beyond the outward appearance. Hence it's only too easy for him to interpret all her acts of kindness as something beyond kindness. She denies it's about pity, she touches his scar like it's nothing and then promptly conceals it to help him face the world head on, winning over his mother's machinations and his own lack of self-confidence.

Why wouldn't he think that she has intentions above and beyond friendship? A guy with half a brain would have to wonder... why a girl would go to such an extent for him if she wasn't in love with him. Aside from that, it was his criteria for choosing a bride... that it would be someone who could treasure this hideous face. It isn't as if he has no reason to think that she has feelings for him. He has many and he's no fool.

It does beg the question for me... is she already in love with him but she's blissfully ignorant because she thinks that what she has with Uk is love... However what she has with So is the "real thing" but she can't see it. The answer think is a complex one because there are different types of love. At the end of the day it's the one that outlives all the others that really matters.

Another thing: The more I see Queen Yu in action, the more disturbed I am about that woman. It's revolting the way she uses her sons to try and gain the attention and love of her husband. I wouldn't deny she's highly ambitious but she seems to be an all or nothing type of woman. 

@40somethingahjummajust wanted to let you know that I adored your post. It is not that simple.... 21st century girl thrown into ancient culture of Goryeo.... you described the complexities of the events so succinctly... I wish they still had those buttons 

• Like 8

On 9/20/2016 at 11:08 AM, solelylurking said:

Yes I agree with you, but I'm much leaning to your second opinion. Judging from HS's robe she already with WS (I think WS doesn't ask the king for her hand in marriage but to be his person a.k.a personal maid). I stumble upon the same video of Wook in front of the rain but with different sub. One said 'There is someone who needs me' and one again said 'I need to figure where I stand'. Interestingly, this both can be interpreted differently. If the scene take before the 'I love you' part, he know that the rain will give WS immense upper hand. So he already knows the king favor WS and this will be his stone to the throne (hence the 'I need to figure where I stand' goes) but if it happens after the I love you, it can be interpreted to HS. If Wook already set his mind to be king for a long time, like we predicted, HS premonition only making a little difference. With or without premonition, he still consider WS as a rival both in throne or love race. The difference is now he will consider him seriously. 

Well, we will se more clearer when daddy dies. All hell will brake loose by then. 

About HS's feeling, honestly I'm still figuring out. I mean I know she's two timing by now but it cam happen to anyone who has two hot man in love with you desperately. But I agree to your reason why she can not tell. I hope the poison drinking will happen tonight too. But why am I having a feeling that WS will bailed out of palace for a while and taking HS with him when the CP die? Maybe because Wook scene in the long trailer and the kiss between WookSo with common wordrobe. 

What is your opinion about it?

Well, there is this picture:

And both Wang So and Wang Wook are working for the CP and they are on the same side. In my opinion, this has to happen soo. As conclusion, I believe that due to Hae Soo's words, Wang Wook understands that he can't keep waiting for the throne any longer. He needs to become active. From my point of view, Wang Wook's passivity came from his belief that he was entitled to the throne. Then I realised later that there is another reason: Mu and Yo are weak persons and Wook is aware of it. So he thought, time is working for me because as soon as the the two princes are kings, they won't survive for long. Since Wang So was an outcast and had no real support, he never saw him as a thread. But the rain ritual and the words from Hae Soo gets him aware that time is not the solution any longer. Wang So is the 4th prince and he is before him. Now, he is no longer the outcast. That's why I believe, he will become active but not just because of Hae Soo. She will be the one who brings the bad news to him, yet he is ambitious. As conclusion, the words "I need to figure out where I stand" mean (if he says it) that he needs to think over his strategy (passivity; he needs new alliances). So first, he might support more the CP, hence we have this picture. 

I agree that WS will leave the palace and take Hae Soo with her. the question is : why and how? 

- Either he is forced to go back to Shinju and the general adviced to become the ruler of the Kangs

- Or Poison incident: since Hae Soo is involved, he is connected to the attempted assassination because he had asked for her as his servant. Moreover, he is seen eating with his mother and his siblings... so the king could think that Wang So is in the end working for his mother. But something went wrong.

• Like 13

7 minutes ago, Yippeuni said:

Sorry to cut it...

but in my opinion Wook is not that kind a person. He is calculating everything in favor to make peace with everything. So it's 3 out of 100 for him to making mistake that will lead him to the catastrophe like losing HS intentionally. As we see the scene where the bracelet ruined and Wook crying over it. I think that happen because he is "late" again.

I think (maybe) its So who sacrifice her self to be with So (at the first time) to save Wook form getting killed by So (because the love she has for Wook). But in the end HS fall into love trap and love So even more and trying to save him from killing anyone but still get him into the throne as a better king. 

was he really late??? or did he do something that will make haesoo mad at him...  well in my opinion, even if your so calculative in everything or how organize are you, when it comes to love everything will turn upside down it can miscalculate you, disorganize you or even worst... i hope i'm mistaken i don't want him to turn to evil ...

we are less than an hour before the show to start.... STREAMING MODE ON.....

• Like 7

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Why wouldn't he think that she has intentions above and beyond friendship? A guy with half a brain would have to wonder... why a girl would go to such an extent for him if she wasn't in love with him. Aside from that, it was his criteria for choosing a bride... that it would be someone who could treasure this hideous face. It isn't as if he has no reason to think that she has feelings for him. He has many and he's no fool.

It does beg the question for me... is she already in love with him but she's blissfully ignorant because she thinks that what she has with Uk is love... However what she has with So is the "real thing" but she can't see it. The answer I think is a complex one because there are different types of love. At the end of the day it's the one that outlives all the others that really matters.

Well said. He will have concluded that she likes him and then later when she pushes him away, he will be wondering " I thought we were in a relationship!"

Anyway I just have a sudden thought that the "original" international version is meant to center around Haesoo. Hence the different take on the removal mask part. One gives the message that she wants to leave, the SBS version - him being in love with her. Fair enough, the c version was centered around Ruoxi, the female lead, who appears like 70% to 80% of the time.

However, the edit just reflect on whoever who is bringing in the ratings. No hard feelings, I love everyone on this show, and they should have gone for 30 eps instead of 20.

For the change of heart from the 8th to the 4th. I am still quite dissatisfied with how it was portrayed in the c version, I wasnt very convinced and I hope I will be better convinced by this k version. To digress, I have to refer to my own experience. I broke up with my first boyfriend while I still like him very much. But one fine day after 2 years, I just realised I dont see myself spending my whole life with him. Its strange how feelings change when there was no big event that occurred. After I broke up, I cried for many days. But I never looked back.

• Like 14

OK...about Wang So killed his brothers based on HS preview...LOL preview....

I'm going to take it based on history and the creative history license owned by the production team. 

In this drama the princes portrayed as different personalities...and the prince who is eyeing the throne is only Yo, I exclude Mo because he is already destined to be one. 

Wook maybe has interest but its not as greater as Yo, his ambition for me is more that a recognition from the king so he can be useful for the King after the scandal (which I don't know what he was exile from the palace before). That's why he shape himself to be a perfect modest gentleman and living a quiet life. 

Eun, Jung, Baek Ah : They're not interested on the throne, they only will surviving inside the palace. With Eun personality in the drama it's obvious that he is not after the throne league, he is more concern about his well being and receiving protection from his older brothers. Jung, our lovely maknae is way too young to join the league. Baek Ah, realizing about his family/clan background he will pick become the side of the person that will protect him and become a real brother to him, in this case So.

Won, he is not care about the throne. He will satisfy being a noble man with lots of money.

And our hero So, he is coming to the palace at the first place only to get him inside the palace again. As he's thinking it's enough to have him being hostage and living in hell. He wants to go back to the palace purely because he only want to be in his own place and be with Mo who he think will be a good brother for him. But the heaven say it different, he is destined to be the one. And the one that stand in his way is Yo and his own mother. And for the killing part, it was said that he kill his half brother..I'm guessing its Wook and its not purely because of the throne in this drama. You all know what is the other cause in this matter. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Adnana said:

I'm the biggest fan of WS around, truly, I love him to pieces, and want for him to gain everything he wants: the throne, Hae Soo, revenge on his awful mom and brothers, anything and everything he wants to make up for the terrible life he has endured. But not for one moment will I delude myself that 4th Prince--in drama or in history--was some poor misunderstood puppy who wouldn't hurt a fly. I think Hae Soo has his ambition and brutal streak pegged quite right, and though it pains me (and it hurts me to imagine WS's hurt) I think she has more than sufficient justification to be wary of Wang So for the next little while.

agree with you and to add... WS himself told that he had to burn the tree he was frnd with to save himself from wolves. So HS is not un-aware of him being survivor or anything-everything that comes his way. He is her frnd but can she belive he will not hurt her if he will have to choose her or his survival (ok till now we havnt seen the gulp pioson to save her) and she also does not know yet what all he cant do save her. And only once she see WSs desperation to cross the limit of even meeting his death for her, she can started to feel differently.

but how long do we have to wait to see WS-HS mutual love for each other... only 12 episodes remaining and i am feeling its much lesser thn what we deserve seeing how this story is progressing

• Like 15

21 minutes ago, Adnana said:

In defense of Hae Soo

You know, after watching E08 the first time, I too was indignant: how dare Hae Soo suddenly be so frightened of Wang So, just because she figured out that he's the future King Gwangjong? Doesn't she know him enough by now to realize that he wouldn't kill without discrimination or remorse... Oh, wait.

Seriously, you guys. WS might have become HS's friend--after lots of tears + sweat + fear (hers) and manhandling + death threats (his)--but she's seen him covered in blood after exterminating an entire den of assassins and she herself has cowered in fear of her life before him more than once. She knows his ruthless streak very well and while she might have chosen not to judge him for it before (because in Goryeo, you had to wield your sword to survive)--it becomes a different matter altogether when HS remembers that WS is going to kill his own brothers. Who are all Hae Soo's friends, same as Wang So, and one prince in particular is the man she (thinks she) loves. It's obvious and natural that Hae Soo's first reaction will be horror and fear--and not unconditional acceptance of the man that according to history will kill many of his brothers to gain the throne.

I mean, really, how could HS be fine with historically-recorded fratricide, just because she's had a few friendly conversations with WS and he's helped her a couple of times (after also nearly killing her a couple other times)? And she doesn't even love him yet! We have to allow HS a little time to come to terms with her fears and feelings, before she is able to accept WS again.

Now, regarding HS misinterpreting or misremembering history. Guys, she remembers more than enough (and remembers it correctly enough) to make any 21st century girl shake in her boots! Disregarding all the purges during the latter part of his reign, the historical 4th Prince was indeed involved in the deaths of many of his brothers! History might officially record WS as having only executed 9th Prince for certain, but let's be real, shall we? After King Taejo died and by the end of WS's first year of rule, the number of princes (WS's brothers) who died is four at least!! The Crown Prince (Moo), 10th Prince (Eun), 9th Prince (Won), 3rd Prince (Yoo), and 8th Prince's clan was decimated. As the last prince standing in the fight for the throne--as the ultimate victor--do you really believe that 4th Prince had nothing to do with all those deaths? That as the drama says, they were heaven's will? HA.

I'm the biggest fan of WS around, truly, I love him to pieces, and want for him to gain everything he wants: the throne, Hae Soo, revenge on his awful mom and brothers, anything and everything he wants to make up for the terrible life he has endured. But not for one moment will I delude myself that 4th Prince--in drama or in history--was some poor misunderstood puppy who wouldn't hurt a fly. I think Hae Soo has his ambition and brutal streak pegged quite right, and though it pains me (and it hurts me to imagine WS's hurt) I think she has more than sufficient justification to be wary of Wang So for the next little while.

well said! :rolleyes:

Though i am curious as to why she has this sudden fear of him, true WS has shown his ruthless side to her and so she is wary.

Plus you have to remember she lives in an era where the justification for killing someone is thin and loose especially when you are royalty. So i get why she also fears for her life. and perhaps also because she does support the Crown Prince, after all she helps him in his illness, so in order for WS to become King (like she saw) something must happen to the Crown Prince.

In HS's mind she may be thinking that something that she did (the BB cream she created) may have (in her mind and perhaps lack of knowledge) altered history that instead of the Crown Prince becoming King, somehow WS is going to become king. Because initially she couldnt quite remember who was King but she had a vision after the rain. She may think that she has all of a sudden change history.

in some ways i pity Yo, unlike WS who though he still seeks his mother's love and approval, perhaps her disowning him may be the best thing she could have done for him. that why his existence isnt tied to her. but for yo, having been chosen by her to become king. Her attitude towards him (maybe an attitude change) may just end up destroying his sanity. For all you know Yo may become obsessed because his mother is obsessed with power. Both yo and WS are very much alike in which they actually do things in order to seek their mother's approval. :confused:

And talking about the possibly cliff hanger WOW! if that is how it would stop, i want to know why and how?! and then i will have to exercise great patience and worry till next week! :bawling: And as much as I want WS to be safe and healthy, i really want to see how the drama shows the turning point for WS_HS, particularly from HS's POV, since we all know that WS already likes her.

Also please correct me but in the trailer there are scenes of HS dressed not like a maid but more of a commoner and WS is with her. So there must be something along the way later on that causes this to happen am i right?

• Like 13

@40somethingahjumma HaeSoo didn't study well during her History Class so she doesn't know or forgot most of the history of Goryeo, soo very naive girl.. so that was the misleading part one thing is for sure, she has the lowest grade in history.. (lolz)... she only state what she only remembers but forgot the whole history...

and regarding her love to WS i think bcoz there is WW she doesn't realize herself yet that she has a thing for WS... it looks like she already likes him (coz. she keeps on looking at him as to where he is, concern for him everytime)

44 MINUTES MORE TO GO..... 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, tanaqvi said:

Originally, she is 34. So WHY would she stay as marble statue?

They changed that. The last character description said she was 26 in korean age (25 for westerners)…and (if I remember correctly) in the video of the history guy (from the specials) that talk about Goryeo he described Haesoo as a girl in her 20's. 

• Like 9

1 more hours for live recap..so,can I give my POV why I love this drama? Besides the actors good acting skills..what I love the most is and the most important for me is.....that this drama is very unpredictable..so much so as to made many of us confuse enough..the story line is very different with other dramas. I don't need to mention which..but many dramas that I watched,I could always predicted what will happen next..almost always 100% correct. And I'm not happy when I'm right..why is it so predictable?

For MLSHR, look at what happened just because of one scene in a preview :lol: and we don't even know that what we're guessing is right or wrong..well, we would know in any minutes now..waiting patiently for all the recaps and screenshots..and thank you in advance for all of you who are doing this..very appreciate it..coz its not easy to write and watch at the same time LOL.

• Like 7

On 20.9.2016 at 2:11 PM, Yippeuni said:

In this picture Baek Ah not wearing the war outfit...while we also got to see a scene where So, Baek Ah and General Park entering the palace with war outfit and sword ready. 

So will there another war happen between the siblings?

This particular scene I'm so curious about! like what the heck is going there? 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Irisz said:

Hi @liddi ! Thanks for your post, but I have to admit that I'm a bit confused now. I always watch it via SBS Live on the net, because altough it's streaming there is no lagging and if I have time I left it on to watch some korean style television. When it airs it's still afternoon over here. :)

Anyway, so I guess I watch the SBS version, but all the scene you've mentioned was there when it's aired except that in the international version, there was an extra show of 4th as Gwangjong at the end. See, the additional scenes in the international version were there in the SBS version too. 

I wanted to see it with subs so that's why I had to watch the other version(international) and that's how I've noticed it. I also noticed that there was a missing scene in this version which was my second favourite from this ep. When Soo and So were in the boat the SBS (original?) version was much better edited, it's got slow motion as well and before Soo's sit up, we could see So still staring at her abandon place, still mesmerized by her closeness and overcome with emotions.Aww...it was so nicely edited :wub:, I loved that scene, except that we could see Soo's trousers under her skirt at the beginning. :w00t:  

@Irisz SBS Live? Are you saying that there is actually a version there that combines all the scenes in the international and SBS versions? I'm pleasantly surprised, as based on what I have seen, there are differences between the SBS version and international version as I listed in my previous post. It would certainly be awesome if there was a version that combines the elements in both versions. If not, my preference is definitely the SBS version, starting from the Director's Cut of Eps1-3 and Ep4 onwards.

• Like 5

Gosh! This thread is crazily moving in lightning speed. It feels like all the time travelers are going insane of how intense are the scenes! It's impossible for to backread anymore :w00t: So much love and sadness and angst and... I don't know what to feel anymore. xD

30 minutes before Episode 9

Time travelers/Eclipses, let's brace our hearts for everything that might possibly happen!!  :flushed:

How can I survive a week of waiting after today's episode? :bawling:

• Like 9