[Drama 2016] Moon Lovers ❤ Scarlet Heart Ryeo, 달의 연인-보보경심 려 \^0^/ Soompi Kdrama 2016 Winner

Admin

Regarding the historical Gwangjong, there is only one official record of him actually killing one of his (half-)brothers.

Spoiler

It is Wang Won, who is Prince 9 in MLSHR. Gwangjong accuses him of treason and also of being twofaced and executes him.

At this point, I would also like to point out that the exact order of the princes is not known and that MLSHR has taken some license with it. For example, Jung (14th for us) was probably older than Wook (8th for us) as he married an older half-sister than Wook. 

Another thing I would like to remind you is that history is often written from the winner's perspective. In the case of Gwangjong, his successors were not on his side (his own son even reverses some of the major policies he had introduced), so of course they're going to highlight things in a not-so-kind persoective.

Now, because the circumstances around the deaths of the two predecessors are also rather unusual, I think Gwangjong was probably involved with killing Mu and Prince Gwangjuwon, although it is more likely that Yo was the mastermind behind it.

Spoiler

I have explained before that Prince Gwangjuwon is Eun (10th) in MLSHR and how the early synopsis had him die a most tragic death. Basically, Eun's mother's father was a loyal supporter of Mu, who had often warned Mu of his brothers (Yo and So)'s plans of treason. However, Mu didn't feel strong enough to investigate the matter (he'd fought off assassins with his bare hands), and instead gave his wife's sister to Yo as a wife and his own daughter to So as a wife to appease them. Still, he somehow dies (records indicate illness, but he was such a man of military prowess still in his prime), and Yo takes the throne, and accuses Eun's grandpa of treason and kills him.

Yo wanted to move the capital to what is Pyeongyang today, which was very unpopular as the nobility established in Songak (Gaesong today) wanted to keep theyr privilege. For some reason he felt that he wasn't going to live much longer, and abdicated the throne to So. The plans to move the capital were canceled with his death, and people rejoiced to hear that. 

Once So took the throne, he'd seen enough of how his older brothers suffered from lack of power, so he introduced a lot of changes that would weaken the power of clans and in turn reinforce the throne. Things like freeing slaves, appointing officials by qualification exams, etc. He did kill the sons of his older brothers as they could pose a threat to him, but historians also say that he might have even killed his own son Gyeongjong if he hadn't been his only surviving son. (And with good reason, as that son cancels out many of his father's achievements when he sits on the throne. I wonder if it was Queen Daemok's influence, too. She was more aligned with the interests of the Hwangbo clan and was often against Gwangjong.)

Thus, when Gwangjong dies, people who hated him come back to have power (at least those that were still around), and of course would write things in a negative perspective. The major difference between Gwangjong and Taejong of Joseon is that Gwangjong had only one, not so good son whereas Taejong had 4 and he deliberately picked the best one. And Sejong was able to enjoy the fortified power as a monarch to accomplish so many things thanks to the bloodshed his father had taken on.

Of course, I have no idea how it will be played out in our drama. I have read a summary of the early synopsis, which was... fast paced and quite interesting, but I hope they changed much from it because it's too sad. We're on ep 8 now and we still haven't gotten to the end of ep 4 of the early script. Which isn't exactly the kind of change I was hoping for, but oh well...

• Like 23

5 hours ago, skxz said:

OKAY OKAY OKAY I JUST REWATCHED EP 7 AND REALISED SOMETHING. I don't think this has been mentioned so here it goes.

Okay so after the whole de-masking debacle So storms out and Hae Soo runs after him. Then Wook also gets up to go after Soo. (I cannot believe that I completely disregarded that. Was too focused on So and Soo) When So grabs Soo's arm it's the arm which her scar is on which also means that the bracelet which Wook gave her is also there.

When you put 2 and 2 together that means at the beginning of next Ep there is a very high probability that there will be confrontation between Wook and So. I wonder what will be said. I'm so excited and scared OMG!!!! 

Awww..WW went behind So and Su to protect his GF from the big bad wolf. :lol:  If only he knew she turns the wolf into a puppy. :lol:

BTW I don't think there will be a confrontation. WW will just make So unhand Su, So will storm away or Eun will come apologize and WW-HS will be left alone for WW to warn her to keep her distance from So because he is dangerous, unaware that they have already met alone many times and talked to each other.

47 minutes ago, UnniSarah said:

.. I did see him let go of her hand when JM was walking towards them. I did not like him doing that at all. I will not say he doesn't love her but He isn't strong enough to declare his love to Hae Soo to the world yet. I also doubt he will ever approach his father for Hae Soo's hand in marriage. I think he will only do that once he sees WS moving on his girlfriend.  I think by then it will be to late. 

JM is on Wang So's side. Do you remember how happy JM was after giving Hae Soo the good news about not marrying the king anymore. He stood by WS's side with that "aren't you proud of me smile" to WS. 

I guess he should have just kept on holding her hand and let her reputation get ruined. It's ridiculous the excuses people search to dislike WW. Politically, WW is very weakened right now with the support of the Hae clan gone. He was not in a very strong position before either but now it's even more fragile. He and his family can easily be kicked out of the city by Yoo's. Every move and every word has to be carefully measured. One wrong move or word and his family is out. So is in the same boat right now that is why during the wedding, he made his point but didn't try to stop the king when he announced that the wedding will happen anyway. We have got to stop thinking with our modern sensibilities and principles. These princes are always in a game of chess, not everything is black or white.

• Like 15

46 minutes ago, valsava said:

@bingewatcherinsomniac  Yes but I think she could have used other drastic measures instead of using young WS.. I really thinks she still mentally unstable and the presence her is three fries short of a happy meal..

I completely agree with you,  she's done unthinkable things that night. But it was a desperate attempt by someone so emotionally shaken that we cannot just "judge" her comparing with our normal behaviour. She's insane, and it was a momentary lapse of judgement from her side. I believe she just testing his love to his family, however twisted her way was. At first she would only threatened the king with suicide but the king didn't budge. Completely heartbroken, she thought if she took one of the son he favour, he would relents and listen to her pleads. But nope, they just fought and little wangso was the victim of this tragedy. I will delve more into the topic later on when I have more time, but yes you're right she still suffering from mental illness. 

In fact, her mistreatment towards wangso is her way of coping with her sadness. As depressive anhedonic mother (possibly suffering PTSD or schizophrenia) her first step to make peace with herself is by disassociate herself to all things that reminds her trauma, and sadly her own flesh and blood wangso became the embodiment of her darkest time that she chose to avoid as it may triggers emotional distress. 

• Like 12

I don' know if it's just me.... but each scene of WS and HS whether they are fighting or just bantering, they look great.  They both shine.  WS's expression is priceless that even without words, he can send the message across.  Lee Joon Ki is indeed a versatile actor.

I have nothing against the other princes, it's just that Prince WS is very mysterious and that's his charm.  HS will certainly help him deal not only his physical scar (hiding it using make up) but also his emotional scar of being abandoned and taken for granted as a prince.  Once he finally dealt with it, he'll be the strongest among the Princes.  I can't wait to see him without the mask... will there be a scene like that in the future?  I am really looking forward for it. 

• Like 14

Helo Cingu,

I am a silence reader and can't hold anymore to give my 2 cent here.

I think Wang So know about Wang Wook attraction to Hae Soo since Beating episode when Wang Wook told So that neither of HS and YH is his. until this episode WS try to not attracted or a bit ignorant with HS but he cant hold himself when He saw HS singing.

• Like 10

15 hours ago, violet90 said:

and we will get WS and HS hug in the rain cause in a way HS help him in that ritual??? kyaaaa

THE FEELSSS!!!!!

i remember LJG said that after WS realize he love HS he will start approaching her in a romantic way and became a very obsessive person.. i think its started next week if i'm not mistaken we will get 2 hug?? give me my OTP moment and make sure it have a LOT of skinship...!!! lol

Hi. Just wanted to ask because I am dying of curiosity. Where did LJG say about his character being obsessive. And is it the nature of the WS to be obsessive? I mean was it the same with the other version. I haven't watched the other version, so I don't know his character that well. BTW I can't wait for the hug between them as well.

This is my first time on Soompi and commenting about this drama ( this drama made me so hyped that I had to join in with the rest of the gang of moon lovers, lol) , so I'm sorry if something is wrong with my reply.

• Like 13

Hi everyone,

Thanks for everyone comments - 

my ideas till know: - I try this time to be short :)

1. there are 2 kinds of love and relation:  WW-HS and WS-HS; I think HS is really falling in love with WW now, but I also think is a feeling in its begginigs and from a young heart - it has the idealization and infatuation that are in a way characterisitc , in my opinion, for first love relationship; of course, from this point it can grow in a mature one, but we know that it will not happen cause she will broke with WW; on the other hand, there is WS, with whom I think she is not in love yet, but there is something in their interaction that is unique; one is that fact that  WS is the only one hearing her difficulties and the other one, which I think is even more importan,t is the feeling she is having when he is very near her - like when they first meet - I dont know if IU is convincing anyone with how she is acting that feeling, and I had a hard time trying to understanding it - I dont know if I succesed, but I guees it has to be something like shoked, striken, confused, overwhelmed by his presence - like a rapture , like his presence is too big, too close, to invasive, too much of an impact  ... if this is the case, than I guess there is some sense in the fact that she falls first with WW; in a way she needs to grow, to mature, to be able to let these feelings she has when WS in so near her to develop in love; so maybe we will se a romantic, young love versus a passionate, mature love; or maybe I am just dreaming ,,, :)
  2. I am imagining that HS will be truely loved by both of them, but there will be one moment when there will be something more important than their love for her ; it could be ambition, but it could also be political responsabilty, needing to survive, personal dreams, so on, - so both of them will do something that will hurt her; I dont know about HS, but till now she is too caught in her 21 century to be able to let go of her principles and stay near someone she thinks would kill, even if from political reason, - this in the case that WS would kill his brothers ...  one of the scene that make me think about this is that from the ep 7 ending -  when she is singing, but more when she was running after WS, wanting to make him come to terms with his brothers ... in a way I find this a little strange - I know she sees WS being hurt and wants to confort him, but however when she talks, she talks about his brother having a chance to ask for forgivness ; which of course will be good for WS, and he also need this, but ,,, somehow I still remain with the feeling that for her , in some future moment, love for WS will compete with her love/friendship/care/worry for other princes ... well, but this is just a guest, and maybe will not be this way, or I am misunderstanding the scene

have a nice weekind all of you

• Like 15

4 hours ago, lxands said:

I'm  confuse here.....

Is Wook the king's biological son? Because if he is how could he be the same age as So? At 1st I thought there's sumthing wrong with the translation when Queen Yoo said to So that although he's  born in the same year ad Wook, he's achievements were much lacking than Wook. The thing is So was abt 4 years old when he got the scar when his mother used him to protest his father the king from taking another wife/woman. The queen said she's  not willing to share her husband with another woman, so I believe she was his only wife at the time, thus the tragedy that left scar on So's face for life. If So got the scar before the king marry Wook's mother, how can So & Wook of the same age? Unless Wook was already born before the king marry his mother. If Wook is the king's stepson, that explained why he & Yeonhwa live outside the palace.

The woman that the King wants to marry during that night where So get a scar is from a clan from the south. The King wanted to marry her to protect his territory at the south. Wang Wook mom is a palace maiden, something like Lady Oh. Definitely Queen Yoo is not the only wife at that time, she is the 3rd wife of the king. I think she is mad because the king wants to marry at the very night after they buried their son (Wang Yo older brother). n i dont think King Taejo will willingly accept a stepson and let him stay in palace where he send his own son out of palace merely because of a scar. 

• Like 7

ML Story though inspired differs with BBJX except the premise of HS travelling back and those princes.

The presence of another traveller would had changed the dynamics and also for how long he has been there since he can get so close to the King and Palace whereas HS seems to just drop in there.

Maybe what HS read or know would had change a bit so much so that it is no longer recorded into history books that the King that will kill all his brothers?  maybe that is the story of HS changing the events subtly whereas Ruoxi fulfilled the history by triggering the event.  A different approach of self-fulfilling prophecy vs changing event.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, YourHighness . said:

Awww..WW went behind So and Su to protect his GF from the big bad wolf. :lol:  If only he knew she turns the wolf into a puppy. :lol:

BTW I don't think there will be a confrontation. WW will just make So unhand Su, So will storm away or Eun will come apologize and WW-HS will be left alone for WW to warn her to keep her distance from So because he is dangerous, unaware that they have already met alone many times and talked to each other.

I guess he should have just kept on holding her hand and let her reputation get ruined. It's ridiculous the excuses people search to dislike WW. Politically, WW is very weakened right now with the support of the Hae clan gone. He was not in a very strong position before either but now it's even more fragile. He and his family can easily be kicked out of the city by Yoo's. Every move and every word has to be carefully measured. One wrong move or word and his family is out. So is in the same boat right now that is why during the wedding, he made his point but didn't try to stop the king when he announced that the wedding will happen anyway. We have got to stop thinking with our modern sensibilities and principles. These princes are always in a game of chess, not everything is black or white.

Chingu, I am not finding any excuses to dislike WW but just stating the things he did that I dislike. Everyone has right to state what they dislike or like. I could list a lot of stuff he has done that could have ruined her reputation but yet he still did it. The poem he gave Hae Soo was something that could have ruined her reputation ( BAEK Ahn himself said this poem was about Love ) but Hae Soo thought it was about landscape. When he pulled her to him after the fighting scene didn't he do it out in the open(His wife caught them in that position and so did the maids) He wasn't cautious enough then. Once Baek Ahn confronted her about the poem, he did nothing to stop his brother from yelling at her when he could have put stop him because BA had no right to do so. Am I am watching this drama through my modern sensibilities principles? I don't thinks so at all because I have watched a lot of historical drama with the same kind Of theme and I didn't dislike it when the emperor or prince's have many Lovers or wife's because I knew this is what they did back then. I understood that and it didn't affect my opinion of the character at all. 

I don't think any of us who mentions stuff he has done wrong in our opinion mean we dislike him. More that we don't trust him. 

• Like 9

14364759_551727728364667_24172250597182514333026_1710321382625679_21930064879684

So i've read somewhere that Lady Oh was the previous lover of the King before he's on the throne but obviously for some reason she doesn't get a official title as a Queen .and then i find out some picture of Soo dresses like her. I guess she will evntually climb up to  the highest position in Da Mi Palace and have the same fate as Lady Oh 

• Like 24

SH still in 7 eps. But i already thinking (wishful thinking) about the ending. 

Spoiler

If SH follow the same ending as the c-version, we will find Hae Soo is back to the future, and seeing a glimpse of future Wang So (not  real WS, just his doppleganger). 

And seriously i can't wait to see Wang So in modern atire. Like this one below : 

14-07-42-images.jpg

Oh well, just a wishful thinking :P

EDIT: Adding WANG SO (prediction) Modern Attire Picture :P

• Like 19

37 minutes ago, UnniSarah said:

Chingu, I am not finding any excuses to dislike WW but just stating the things he did that I dislike. Everyone has right to state what they dislike or like. I could list a lot of stuff he has done that could have ruined her reputation but yet he still did it. The poem he gave Hae Soo was something that could have ruined her reputation ( BAEK Ahn himself said this poem was about Love ) but Hae Soo thought it was about landscape. When he pulled her to him after the fighting scene didn't he do it out in the open(His wife caught them in that position and so did the maids) He wasn't cautious enough then. Once Baek Ahn confronted her about the poem, he did nothing to stop his brother from yelling at her when he could have put stop him because BA had no right to do so. Am I am watching this drama through my modern sensibilities principles? I don't thinks so at all because I have watched a lot of historical drama with the same kind Of theme and I didn't dislike it when the emperor or prince's have many Lovers or wife's because I knew this is what they did back then. I understood that and it didn't affect my opinion of the character at all. 

I don't think any of us who mentions stuff he has done wrong in our opinion mean we dislike him. More that we don't trust him. 

Sweety, none of your posts and I mean none have shown you trying to understand WW's position. Let's see your reasons to dislike him:

1. The poem was for HS eyes only. It was not meant to share with anyone. So the poem should not and didnot ruin her reputation.

2. After the fight, the bridge and the surrounding area was empty when he pulled her to him. And as soon as they hear people's presence she pulled away. He was emotional at that time but he would have let go himself in a second or two. For him, HS is a priority.

3. WW came in the end while BA was leaving. He was with his brother before that remember, figuring out the emoticon. And BA had a point that they both knew was right.

See? Everything can be figured out if you just think it through but I don't see that happening here. People just do not want to understand his POV. Infact they try their best to twist it into something that it is not. All I see here are a few people using the smallest excuse to distrust and dislike him. Now I am not saying he won't turn grey or bad in the future but he is not right now and it's exhausting and honestly off putting to come forth such dislike for a perfect nice character.

• Like 9

Oh it´s hard to follow you here .... I gave it up... I checked the last Pages briefly... And I love the new Pictures. Is there es Clip too - for her making the Cover Make Up ?

I´m sorry - real Life keeps me busy - my Son had his Birthday yesterday and the Weekend is Family Time for that. But i can´t avoid Moon Lovers and Wang so for one single Day - watching all those FMV I love so much... listen to the OST even with my MP3 Player when I make the Cake... all that.

MoonDay come faster please!!!!

• Like 16