[Daily Drama 2015/2016] Witch's Castle 마녀의 성

suchadiva42

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the second drama from this writer that I've followed, and I've regretted both of them.  The first one was Passionate Love about a man who falls in love with his first love's younger sister years after his first love dies in a tragic accident.  I was expecting makjang when I started watching that, but the story and the writing took it to levels of WTF-ery while making the story arcs and ending was just inane.  

I gave Witch's Castle a shot mostly because I like Seo Ji Seok.  I think he usually puts in a relatively low key yet nuanced performance, plus he's easy on the eyes.  Also, having the set up of temperamentally different women who learn to live with each other and learn from each other I usually find heartwarming.  For example, I really liked Legendary Witches, especially when the four women were interacting with each other, especially in the earlier part of the drama when they were getting to know each other.  

Witch's Castle, however, it seems to lack any consistency in terms of its treatment of motherhood.  Why is birth motherhood such a holy grail, to the point that GH is given no choice but to stick with MR, a woman that he does not know, does not respect, and who abandoned him as a child?  And, the whole thing about HD being HJ's step mother, yet treating her like her birth child?  I mean, HD became HJ's step mother well after HJ became an adult.  Are Korean women that infantile?  And, DB revering HD because she's her MIL, to the point of sacrificing her unborn child's right to have two parents so that her ex-MIL won't feel badly.  If DB and GH don't love each other, I'm not advocating that they should stay together for the sake of their child.  However, for the two of them who love each other to separate while they have a child together so that an ex-MIL who is involved in her own life with her own pseudo-birth daughter HJ anyway seems insanely absurd.  If motherhood is so important, why doesn't DB give her own child the same protectiveness and care, now that she's becoming a mother?  Perhaps if HD had held onto the death of JY, unable to move on with her life, and living her life only for DB, maybe I might have had some sympathy with DB's thinking of loyalty to her MIL within the context of this story.  It is tragic for a mother to lose a child after all.  However, in this case, HD has moved on, she has a new husband, a new career, a new adult daughter who now holds precedence in her life.  Not to mention, GH had averred from the beginning that he did not know MR and didn't want to be tied in a filial way to her.  Why keep insisting that he must miss his birth mother and must sacrifice everything for his birth mother?  Given how confused this writer is in terms of the messages that she's trying to craft even with the relatively simple concept of mother-child love which seems to be what this drama is primarily about, I wish she could at least focus on telling an entertaining story, on befitting the level of acting talent that is in this drama.

Also, what happened to DB's character?  This is also reminiscent of the main female character in Passionate Love in that both female leads are written as spunky, smart, pragmatic, optimistic characters who midway through become wishy-washy characters who tremble in fear and sorrow at every disapproval, allow others to take over all decision making, and rush to please the very persons tormenting them.  I dislike the DB character enough right now to the point that it's affecting my feelings towards the actress.  Given the main female's proclivity for looking stupified with her mouth half open, I won't be searching out for her other works either.

Sorry about the rant.  I had started to skip every few episodes quite a while back just to see if the craziness ever corrected or at least became entertaining, but given that it's near the end and it's still pretty inane without much scope for resolutions, I'm kicking myself for having picked up this drama when I so disliked this writer's previous work.  I'm at the point where I don't even care if DB and GH end up together or not.  Won't make that mistake again.  

Thanks to everyone on this thread for your updates and commentaries, however. See you all in a different thread.

@stroppyse, we meet again and once again I must say "Thank You".  I actually started this drama because I loved the writer's work in "Daring Women".  I didn't watch "Passionate Love" .....had it on my 'to watch list'...no longer on that list after this drama.  In Daring Women, it was frustrating in the beginning, but you could see the characters developing---especially the lead female. Mid-way through, she made a switch and became strong and successful. 

I love your post because you mentioned all the things that bothered me most about this drama. At this point, I can't even be nice about how much I hate this drama. Like you, this drama is making me have some feelings about the actresses.  It makes no since that a woman who lost her parents and a man who never knew his parents would make their own child fatherless. DB's loyalty to her mother in law ad deceased husband and punishing the man she loves is ridiculous.....GH is innocent in all of this. She's the one that tried to force him to accept his mother; shoved her down his throat. Now she doesn't want to have anything to do with him because of this same mother. I don't get GH feeling any loyalty to MR, a woman he never liked and she has done absolutely nothing for him to like her now. Just her being his mother means nothing.

I will never, ever watch another drama by this writer.  I though "Crazy Love" was a bad drama, but this takes the cake. I won't be searching out several of these actors anytime soon, if ever.

So there's more?

Good grief. I thought it would be over with Ep 120 (Came back just for it) but apparently DB and GH are going their separate ways and she's preggers? What the heck! Apparently matrimonial vows don't mean much in Dan Byul land. And HJ is walking around scot free, meeting hot men? Giving people near-death experiences obviously don't count as criminal acts.

What's this show trying to tell people? Will the insanity never cease?

The only thing that I liked was watching SML behind bars and a thick wall of Perspex. Definitely long overdue.

10 hours ago, finebyme said:

How is the rating for this drama does anybody know?

I'm just so confused as to why ML is getting charged for accessory to murder and embezzeling and HJ gets away scott free from accessory to asault!

In this drama, the criminals really don't pay for their crimes and DB is just idiotic.  You can see ratings here:. http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Witch's_Castle/Episode_Ratings

1 minute ago, lclarakl said:

In this drama, the criminals really don't pay for their crimes and DB is just idiotic.  You can see ratings here:. http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Witch's_Castle/Episode_Ratings

Well, one criminal is paying for her crimes. 
DB, is a little annoying yes, but I think it goes with the child-like innocence she has. She lives in the moment now, that is why she has forgotten how GH helped her get over her fire phobia. 

1 hour ago, finebyme said:

DB, is a little annoying yes, but I think it goes with the child-like innocence she has. She lives in the moment now, that is why she has forgotten how GH helped her get over her fire phobia. 

Actually, in this drama, GH didn't help her get over her "fire" phobia. He helped her in that she could turn on an electric stove. She got over her phobia because of her kidnapper "brother" whom she's eternally grateful too---that's when this story went completely downhill.  The "brother" who had to help her bath, dress and go to the bathroom.  No wonder the man fell in love with her. Although she tried to ignore it.  She was protective of him than she ever was of GH.  I really hate that the writer made this drama such a mess.

1 hour ago, finebyme said:

Well, if she really lived in the moment she wouldn't give two hoots who GH's bio mum is. Besides her ex-mother-in-law has moved on, remarried, established new ties with neurotic, obsessive psychopathic step-daughter twice removed.

There's a huge difference between child-likeness and stupidity.

Let's face it, it's inconsistent writing... sloppy and slapdash... just to drag things out as long as they can.

What the Richard Simmons was this last episode? The beginning was so Richard Simmons stupid. A mother depriving a child being with his father---DB is just a Richard Simmons idiot.  GH is a Richard Simmons idiot for letting her deprive him of his son for a year.  A time jump again and DB and HJ are best friends? DB is the face of MC Group? This drama is so frustratingly stupid because this last episode doesn't match not one previous episodes other that DB is still annoyingly stupid. 

MR's daughter calling NS father, although he's her stepfather and no longer married to her mother is stupid. GH continuing to hold on to MR is stupid. MR was so evil that I couldn't ever feel an ounce of compassion for her. The fact that GH was trying to hold on to this evil woman who he didn't really know nor liked, made absolutely no sense. That DB had more hatred for GH because of his mother and NS was more compassion towards her made no sense. 

@40somethingahjumma, I agree with every word you said about this being inconsistent writing, sloppy and slapdash.  This writer was so one dimensional in her writing that she didn't even bother to develop the characters. I can't see a man or woman forgiving the woman who because of a scheme to trick them out of money and caused their child to die would be forgiving. 

I would tell anyone interested in giving this drama a try, give it a pass. I felt so much frustration while watching that I couldn't wait to feel some satisfaction in  seeing these people pay for their crimes, that NEVER came. If it wasn't for the fact I was watching it with a group during live chat, I would have given up on the drama around episode 65. I eventually stopped watching.  The writer gave them an easy pass. Made DB stupid and too forgiving when she needed to be strong and when she needed to be forgiving she was just plain stupid. Her whole issue with GH is absolutely the most stupid part of this drama. The only reason I'm using the word stupid is because in the eyes of my small nieces and nephews, this is a cuss word.....LOL!!!

My last pet peeve.....the actress playing DB sits with her back too straight and the actor playing GH sits with his shoulders stooped......can we have a happy medium.

@lclarakl Thanks for watching the final and giving us a review.  

I can't believe that I actually tuned in for the finale.  What a bizarre episode where they decide that time heals all and lets bygones be bygones even through fraud, kidnapping, accessory after the fact to a manslaughter, etc., etc.  As you noted, the only consistency is that DB remains a silly twit.  So, she can forgive everyone, but GH, though I guess GH left her for a position overseas a year before without saying anything to her.  And, that is the one resentment that she's going to hold on to.  Good thing then that when GH comes back to say that he wants to be with her regardless and he knows she still has feelings for him since she never filed the divorce papers after all, and then she rejects him; he's able to tell her that he was involved in an accident in that year time jump where a car came within a few centimeters of hitting him.  If the car hadn't stopped within those few centimeters, he would have died without ever seeing his son and not having been able to do anything for the woman he loved or his child, and that's when he realized that he needed to be with her and their child.  Good thing there was this convenient near-accident to provide some offscreen motivation to bring DB and GH together since, you know, their story was such an incomprehensible mess.  So, of course, DB being DB, she still waffles until the last moments of the episode where she finally decides to acknowledge him.  Actually, the only thing that was remotely entertaining was what seemed to be a tacit admission by DB and GH that their story was a mess and that the time jump did nothing towards providing resolution.  Ergo, the convenient near-accident so that GH can get a wake up, and be able to use the story to bring DB to heel.  Anyway, then it's Happy Families for everyone, with an ending where even GH lets MR know that he'll welcome her when she's ready.  Ugh.

Still, I guess it was probably a better resolution than Passionate Love where the main heroine gets married and has a baby with the man she doesn't love with the MIL who terrorized her and the FIL who killed her actual family.  The man she does love she decides she can't be with after all, even though she's been stringing him along the entire drama.  That man, the nominal lead (played by Sung Hoon who is doing a darn fine job in Five Children as one half of one of the supporting couples btw), then decides that he's actually in love with his business partner after all.  Crazy?  You betcha.  However, I'm crazier for watching another one by the same person who wrote that mess. 

I will never watch anything by this writer again.

I doubt I'll watch anything with the lead actress in it either.  Her character annoyed me so much that her mannerisms have become excessively annoying as well, and I think I'll be reminded of that each time I see her with her lips half parted, even if she doesn't have the stupid expression on her face.

it finally  ended.  i  was  so  afraid  that  after  her  prison  stint  song  mla  lae  will  be t aken  in  by  her  son  and  all  is  well  that  ends  well.  but  it  didn't  happen  though  i  hj  got  off  easily  when  she  also  committed crime  against dan byul  this  is  one  drama  where  there  is  so  much  kneeling down  for  forgiveness.  maybe  my  culture  is  different,  it  doesn't  work  for  me.  what  can  kneeling  down  do,  will  it  erase  all  the  pain  and  sorrows misdeed  has  done?  there  must  be  fair  retribution  of  justice,  crimes  punishable  by  law  should  be  punished  accordingly.  i  can't  also  understand  this  motherhood  thing  of  hd  and  db. w asn't  hd  also  mad  at  db  and  blaming  her  for  the  misfortune  of  her  son.  didn't  she  blame  dan  byul  and accused  her  of  being  bringing  bad  luck  to  her  son. if i  were kh  and  db  ,  the  latter  2  should  live  far awahy  from  their  families  and  live  without  meddlers etc. etc.

Well another one ends.. It was not as bad as the ending of the one before this but at the same time I am not all that surprised that the two people who did no wrong ended up paying the price for others sins, jealousy and spitefulness. (just open ended) I will say that even though HJ did not get paid back for all the dirt she did 95.5% of this drama.. I will let it go since she tried to bring the OTP together in the end but she was still creepy and gave me chills. At least we did not have to sit through her getting married to that new guy..  @tinatrix236 you got your angst until the end LMAO.. 

MR finally did the right thing in the end and stayed away from GH and her daughter after getting out of prison. I wished she had done that in the beginning when she found out that GH was her son. But oh well better late than ever.. 

What can I say about DB that has not already been said. I guess the only thing is she was true to her personality and character. She may not have been how the writer originally wanted to portray her but the actress who played her delivered her perhaps the way the network and the writer wanted her to come across. I hope in her next role she is able to keep that spunky behavior..

The writer's earlier work will still be one of my favs but this one will not go on my top 10 list.. lol but it's ok since its a hard list to get on :)

It was a pleasure to watch this drama with all of you lol.. and I hope to see you in other drama threads across this forum.. 

@suchadiva42 thanks for making the thread. @awsparkle thank you for the written previews. and thank you to others who contributed to posting video , articles and music from this drama.. (sorry I don't have all the names written down.) It was fun see you.

Archived