Director : Uhm Tae Hwa
Writer: Uhm Tae Hwa
Producer :
Cinematographer : 
Production Company : Barunson Film
Distribution Company : Showbox
Release Date : 2016

SYPNOPSIS :
A few young kids, including Sung-Min (Lee Hyo-Je) and Soo-Rin (Shin Eun-Soo), take a trip to the mountain together. The next day, Soo-Rin is the only one rescued. A few days later, Sung-Min (Gang Dong-Won) appears again, but he is not the 13-year-old boy. Sung-Min became an adult over the course of the last few days.  

CAST : 
Kang Dong Won as Sung Min (adult)
Shin Eun Soo as Soo Rin
Lee Hyo Je as SungMin
Uhm Tae Goo as

NOTES
- Filming began October 7, 2015 at Namhae, Gyeongsangnam Province, South Korea.
- Shin Eun-Soo was cast after being selected through auditions that involved about 300 applicants.

Videos :

Poster :

Still : 

REMINDER AND PLEASE READ!
Soompi code of conduct | k-drama & movies forum rules
Don't post any requests for subs!
Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. 
Don't quote images.
01.Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately.
02.Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.
03.Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, Etc.. should be report to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here.
04.Those who are caught breaking the soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their Id/IDs reported to the mods. 
05.Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs ( those without permission from the original subbers and doesn't have copyrights like Viki, Dramafever or SoompiTV) will have their ID reported to the mods for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions.
PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE

Guest adikkeluangman

Kang Dong Won Considers New Fantasy Film

On July 24, reports stated that Kang Dong Won is currently in talks to appear in the upcoming film “Obscured Time” (working title). The film will be produced by production company Barunson Film. Apparently, the actor recently met with director Uhm Tae Hwa and film distribution company Showbox to discuss his potential role.

“Obscured Time” tells the story of two children entering a cave with only one of them being able to make it back out safely. The film will also focus on the aftermath as the child grows up. Being described as a fantasy-like movie, it promises to feature unique emotions like “A Werewolf Boy.”

2015072411183692800_1.jpg

The film is gaining special attention because it will be the director’s first commercial film after releasing well-received independent films. His younger brother actor Uhm Tae Goo will also be acting in the movie. Comparisons between the Uhm brothers are being made with brothers Ryu Seung Wan and Ryu Seung Bum who are also a director and actor duo.

If Kang Dong Won accepts the offer he will be playing the adult version of the surviving child. Meanwhile, the actor is keeping himself busy with films “Black Priests” and “A Violent Prosecutor.”

After securing the main cast, the “Obscured Time” aims to start filming later this year.

http://www.soompi.com/2015/07/23/kang-dong-won-considers-new-fantasy-film/

-----

Hello girl. Welcome to JYP Nation.

She even cast in movie with Kang Dong Won. I wonder how old is she. Finally Jimin will be no longer alone. 

-----

They already started filming this movie with the children part first. Lee Hyo Je also in KDW movie The Priest as his younger character.

• 3 weeks later...

Kang Dong-won shows his inner child in Vanishing Time: A Boy Who Returned

by tineybeanie | October 24, 2016 

vtime1.jpgvtime1a.jpg

Kang Dong-won (A Violent Prosecutor) playing a child trapped in a grown-up’s body? I’m in. The upcoming fantasy melo film Hidden Time (also known as Vanishing Time: A Boy Who Returned) starring Kang Dong-won and child actress Shin Eun-soo is to premiere in Korea this coming November. From the synopsis, it looks like a cross between Bridge to Terabithia and A Werewolf Boy: A girl and a boy on the edge of adolescence become inseparable friends until the boy vanishes seemingly into thin air.

read full: http://www.dramabeans.com/2016/10/kang-dong-won-shows-his-inner-child-in-vanishing-time-a-boy-who-returned/

Actor Kang Dong-won, female lead of 'Vanishing Time' hold Q&A session

2016/11/02 11:12

Eng sub

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/news/2016/11/02/0200000000AEN20161102004400315.html?input=rss

Straddling fantasy and reality in ‘Vanishing Time’

Director Um Tae-hwa’s “Vanishing Time: a Boy who Returned” offers a mix of genres unfamiliar to Korean cinema -- it is fairy tale-like in its plot, fantasy-esque in its computer graphics, but also firmly rooted in reality.

Um has always been interested in “the area where the real and surreal clash, or influence one another,” he told reporters after a press screening on Tuesday in Seoul.“I imagined what it would be like to live in a place where time stops. I imagined it would be a lonely existence,” he said.

restmb_jhidxmake.php?idx=5&simg=20161102

In the film, Soo-rin (Shin Eun-soo), a young girl, moves to the fictional island of Hwanodo with her stepfather after the death of her mother. She spends her days lost in her own imagination and later befriends Sung-min (Lee Hyo-je), a young boy living on the island. The two become close, developing a language of their own within a shared fantasy, deep in the forest. 

Out of curiosity, the two visit a construction site in the mountains, but everyone at the site goes missing in an accident, except Soo-rin.

A few days later, a grown man, in the form of actor Kang Dong-won, claims to be the young Sung-min and approaches Soo-rin. He explains that he was trapped inside a time warp, where he alone aged while others remained the same. 

Only Soo-rin believes him, while the villagers and police suspect the grown man to be the culprit behind the disappearances.

The bond between the two young souls in a world where everyone is skeptical forms the core of the film, which has the notion of faith as its biggest theme. According to Kang, “this film, essentially, is about people’s ability to have faith, and their innocence.”

restmb_jhidxmake.php?idx=5&simg=20161102

Kang, 35, who embodies a 13-year-old boy for his character, pulls off the feat convincingly with his trademark boyishness. 

“I had to find the right tone,” he said. “I tried to think of how the audience would perceive the character.”

Actress Shin, born in 2002, is 20 years Kang’s junior. In her on-screen debut, Shin deftly portrays a young girl who is intensely sensitive and perceptive of details that others often miss. 

“I tried to imagine what it would feel like to be in her position,” she said.

The film hits Korean theaters on Nov. 16. 

By Rumy Doo (doo@heraldcorp.com) | KPOP HERALD

Vanishing Time’ posits world where time stops

‘Life would be very lonely if you were stuck in time without anybody else.’

06191016.jpg

Wouldn’t it be fun if time just stopped? It’s the question director Um Tae-hwa of the upcoming fantasy film “Vanishing Time: A Boy Who Returned” asked himself when he first conceived of the script’s plot. What if everything around you just stopped, and you were the only thing in the world that ever aged?

“I have long been interested in the clash of reality and unreality and how they affect each other,” Um said during a press event held Tuesday in central Seoul for the film, which hits local theaters on Nov. 16. “I have also dealt with virtual reality and dream in my previous work, although the method of expressing the topic was different.”

“Vanishing Time: A Boy Who Returned” is a film about time travel, but unlike familiar tales of romance and whimsy like “The Time Traveler’s Wife” (2009) or “The Girl Who Leapt Through Time” (2006), the protagonist in Um’s film has no freedom to traverse through the fabric of time. Rather, he is stuck as the world around him changes.

Actor Gang Dong-won, who recently starred as a handsome criminal in “A Violent Prosecutor” plays the time traveler Seong-min. Starring as his childhood love interest, Su-rin, is 14-year-old actress Shin Eun-soo, who is making her big-screen debut.

The film focuses first on the innocence of the two elementary-aged students’ initial romance and begins from Su-rin’s point of view. After she moves to an island due to her stepfather’s job, Su-rin, who is being raised by her single dad, has difficulty fitting in to her new school.

Her gloomy life, though, begins to shine when schoolmate Seong-min befriends her. They begin to communicate with each other through special codes written in diaries and grow closer after discovering a deserted house, which they use as an after-school hangout spot. 

The romance, however, is cut short when Seong-min and two friends break a legendary “goblin egg” that suspends the progress of time and space, and this is when the film starts to verge into the director’s fantastical question. Everyone and everything stops moving except for the three friends. It is only after more than 10 years that time for Seong-min, now a full grown-up, starts ticking again.

Despite the joy of breaking away from the shackles of frozen time, Seong-min is forced to confront townspeople who refuse to believe his story. The only exception is his first love Su-rin, who recognizes him from the diaries he wrote using their special codes and tries to help him fit back into the present.

“When you think about it, life would be very lonely if you were stuck in time without anybody else,” Um said. “I thought it would be novel try and show the growth of a boy in a world where everything stopped.”

For Gang, who had to play that man who never really had a chance to properly grow out of childhood, portraying Seong-min was no easy feat. 

“I focused on how the audience might feel instead of myself because I believed it was more important for the audience to accept [the story] instead of the emotions I felt,” he said.

“Vanishing Time: A Boy Who Returned” runs for 129 minutes and is rated 12 and over. 

BY JIN MIN-JI [jin.minji@joongang.co.kr]  Korea JoongAng Daily

S. Korean film 'Vanishing Time' sold to 9 countries before release

SEOUL Nov. 9 (Yonhap) -- The South Korean film "Vanishing Time," yet to be released in its home market, has already been sold to nine different countries, its local distributor said Wednesday.

The distribution rights of the film starring actor Kang Dong-won were sold to companies in the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Britain, Turkey, China, Japan and the Philippines right after the international poster was revealed.

The fantasy melodrama, set to open in Korean theaters next Wednesday, depicts the story of a boy who mysteriously disappears when he goes to the mountains with his friend, only to return as a full-grown adult a few days later.

"The foreign buyers bought the film without even watching it," a Showbox official said. "They made their decision solely based on its unique theme of an 'unmoving world' and the movie poster, although I think Kang was also one of the factors that raised their anticipation of the movie."

AEN20161109005400315_01_i.jpg

yujeoungkr@yna.co.kryonhap news

• 3 weeks later...

November 27, 2016

"Vanishing Time: A Boy Who Returned"

Kang Dong-wong, "I aim for the middle-aged men too"

Source: Asia Today via Hancinema.net

photo789469.jpg

Actor Kang Dong-won never stays the same character and always attempts at something new and this time he's back as a boy.

"Vanishing Time: A Boy Who Returned" is a movie about Seong-min a little boy who returns a grown-up after being stuck in time and a girl named Soo-rin who believes him. It's also director Eom Tae-hwa's first commercial movie.

Kang Dong-won is 13-years-old in this movie and he focused on making it so that even middle-aged men could watch the movie without tension.

"I hoped they didn't think it was cheesy. The character couldn't be immature and I made sure I wasn't too 'child-like'. I come from a world where time stopped so I had to find a reasonable line. Making a connection with the audience was the most important".

Kang Dong-won was a priest, a fraud and more in all his previous work, although this movie wasn't so easy.

"I usually get a diverse number of scenarios, but this time I actually laughed. I was in the tub while reading the script and thought to myself, 'Why does this happen to me?' It's not that easy to try something new. There's no reference to it sometimes. But on the other hand, it's fun making a reference and anticipating what the crowd will think about it".

photo789470.jpg

Every time he does something new, there's the difficulty of having to create a new character. It's obvious why he still does it.

"There is no movie yet that shows the moment the time stops. My character is someone who returns from time that stopped. The particular thing about this movie is that it was filmed based on time that stopped and its message".

Kang Dong-won is also known for not caring if the movie is produced by a professional or a rookie. "I have different commercial standards. If the scenario is good enough, then I consider it commercial. I think "A Violent Prosecutor" was commercial too. Some of the investors were worried that it wouldn't succeed, but I thought the storyline was good enough. "Although Vanishing Time: A Boy Who Returned" isn't stimulating, it has potential".

Kang Dong-won's name alone was enough to draw the attention of investors.

"I am glad. I worked hard to make this happen. "Haunters" was a very challenging movie for me back then and it was hard but it turned out well. They used to interfere a lot in the past and complain that my movies weren't commercial enough but that doesn't happen anymore".

Kang Dong-won has his own principals.

"Something I always kept in mind since my debut is never to betray the audience for my own greed or play a strange character. I have to find a suitable line which satisfies both sides. If "Vanishing Time: A Boy Who Returned" was made a long time ago, the anticipation wouldn't have been this much. I am happy if my audience is happy and I will continue to 'challenge' myself".

November 29, 2016

Making a film that stops the clock :

‘Vanishing Time’ deals with loneliness - and having one to talk to

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

28191933.jpg

Um Tae-hwa [STUDIO 706]

The latest fantasy-romance “Vanishing Time: A Boy Who Returned,” directed by Um Tae-hwa and starring A-list actor Gang Dong-won, is one of the most talked-about films among moviegoers. Its plot revolves around a young girl named Su-rin and her friend Seong-min. The girl and boy and some other friends go to a cave in a forest and time stops - but not for Seong-min and two of his friends. When time finally restarts, Seong-min is a grown-up (played by Gang). But townspeople suspect that the grown-up Seong-min kidnapped the boys.

The film, which hit local theaters on Nov. 16, stresses the value of trust, and how that trust can make a person feel less lonely in a world in which everyone feels alone despite being surrounded by people.

“Loneliness is always a core topic I mull over,” said the 35-year-old filmmaker, who dealt with the issue in his debut full-length movie “INGtoogi: The Battle of Surpluses” (2013) and won the Grand Prize at the 11th Mise-en-scene Short Film Festival (MSFF) for “Forest” (2012).

“Although you have family and friends, you will someday feel completely alone. But this shouldn’t leave you to simply think that everybody is alone, as that thought is too pessimistic,” said Um during an interview with M Magazine, an affiliate of the Korea JoongAng Daily.

“Even though I can’t think of a perfect antonym for ‘lonely,’ if there is at least one person that can fully trust you, that could make you feel at least a little less alone. This is the idea I wished to deliver through ‘Vanishing Time.’”

Below are the edited excerpts from the interview.

Q. It took you around a year to even complete the scenario. Although the scenario is refreshing, wasn’t it difficult to get it produced due to its unique story?

A. When working on the scenario, I wondered whether I would be able to get investment and also whether actors would take parts in this movie. At the same time, however, I believed that the Korean movie industry needed a new kind of film with a different topic. Fortunately, distributor Showbox decided to invest upon reading the scenario, and the actor Gang also willingly decided to join the film.

The story all began from a single picture?

Most people imagine at least once what it would be like if time stopped. While attempting to write a story on the topic, I saw a picture on the internet of a man and a woman looking at each other in front of a giant wave. It looked as if time completely stopped, and got me wonder what was going on between the two.

Which scene did you pay attention to the most?

The scene where Su-rin’s father and the grown-up Seong-min fight. I couldn’t make it entirely look like a fight among adults. However, Gang acted the scene very well, showing a face that looked like a child being blamed by his mother.

The movie is very good at showing a world in which time has stopped. How did you pull that off?

When I think of a world in which time has stopped, there are some typical spectacles that one thinks of. The ones that frequently appear in American TV dramas. However, I thought such visually flashy scenes wouldn’t match the theme of “Vanishing Time.” But to provide the audience entertainment, I added some creative scenes such as water drops floating across the air.

When time stops, Seong-min and his friends initially had lots of fun. But as time passes, they start to feel afraid. How did you try to portray that changing state of mind?

I attempted displaying the change by altering the sense of color from a realistic color to gradually becoming yellowish. Through this world, I wished to show the process of a child becoming an adult, such as the people surrounding you gradually leaving you, and although there are lots of people around, there aren’t many you can talk to. I believe this is how it is to become an adult.

How do you wish the audience to perceive this movie?

I hope that audiences watch the film through the ending credits because it could leave them with more lingering feelings. I hope “Vanishing Time” becomes a sort of a movie that viewers get to think of before falling asleep.

BY LIM JU-RI [jin.minji@joongang.co.kr

November 30, 2016

Box Office Slumps Due to Mass Protests

Source: The Chosun Ilbo

The film industry is suffering a blip as massive protests every weekend calling for President Park Geun-hye to resign keep people out of the theaters.

Even Kang Dong-won, who normally guarantees box office, has been hit, with his new movie "Vanishing Time: A Boy Who Returned" not attracting as many viewers as expected.

The film drew 489,038 moviegoers in 12 days, according to the Korea Film Council on Sunday, whereas his previous film "A Violent Prosecutor" hit the 1 million viewer mark in just three days.

2016113000576_0.jpg

Nearly 2 million protesters converged in Gwanghwamun, Seoul on Saturday and thousands of protesters across the country.

Movie theaters drew 17.16 million viewers in October, but the number fell to less than half or 8.56 million in November. Korean films' share of the market dropped 17.3 percentage points from 48.6 percent last month.

Even though November is usually a slow season at the box office, far fewer people watched movies this month compared to 15.28 million in the same month last year.

November 29, 2016

‘Vanishing Time’ proving unpopular

(Showbox)

Thriller film “Vanishing Time” is suffering lower-than-expected popularity, despite the box office star power of Gang Dong-won.

Since the movie’s release on Nov. 16, “Vanishing Time” has drawn less than a half-million filmgoers. According to data by the Korean Film Council, the movie has been viewed by 495,293 people. 

The numbers come as a surprise to those who expected a string of successes for Gang. His last two previous works, “A Violent Prosecutor” and “Priests,” attracted 1 million viewers in theaters within two days and three days, respectively. The two movies went on to attract admission of 9.7 million and 5.4 million. 

Snapshot of "Priest" (CJ Entertainment)

Snapshot of "A Violent Prosecutor" (Showbox)

The three movies -- “Vanishing Time,” “A Violent Prosecutor” and “Priests” -- had a rule of thumb in common: a movie directed by a rookie filmmaker that stars Gang. This time, though, the formula didn’t bear out. 

Despite positive reviews online complimenting fresh depictions of scenes where time stops and gravity disappears, the ongoing political scandal surrounding President Park Geun-hye and her longtime confidante Choi Soon-sil appears to have turned moviegoers to comedies such as “My Annoying Brother,” a local report by Hankook Ilbo noted.

By Son Ji-hyoung (json@heraldcorp.com)

Archived