Singles 싱글즈 (2003)

Starring: Lee Beom-Soo, Uhm Jung-Hwa, Kim Joo-Hyeok

Director: Kwon Chil-In

Genre: Romance, Comedy

Runtime: 110mins

Production: Sidus

Distribution: Big Blue Film

Language: Korean

Na Nan (Jang Jin-Young, The Foul King) has known best pals Dong-Mi (Uhm Jung-Hwa, Marriage is a Crazy Thing, Mr.Handy) and Jung-Joon (Lee Beom-Soo, Wet Dreams, Oh! Brothers) since childhood, and now the trio shares the ups and downs of their turbulent single lives together. But everything gets turned on end when Dong-Mi and Jung-Joon end up in bed! Should the longtime friends make it official or call it a mistake? Na Nan has a job offer and a marriage proposal from the charming Soo-Heon (Kim Joo-Hyeok, Say Yes, YMCA Baseball Team,Lovers In Prague) to consider, and her twenties are fast coming to end. What's a generation of soon-to-getting-older youth to do?

SOURCE : 싱글즈

싱글즈

싱글즈

싱글즈

싱글즈

Greta movie! Her's my mini-review from a few years ago:

Singles is a story about 3, yes, single, late 20-somethings in Seoul. No, it's not 1/2 of "Friends" done Korean style and while it's more of a drama, it does give us its share of comedic moments as well.

Our main character Na Nan (Chang Jin-young, The Foul King, Sorum, Over the Rainbow) is a fairly bubbly and confused 29-year old. She'd been working contentedly for a clothing designer when she suddenly finds herself transferred to a Chili's restaurant to be a manager (I don't understand how this kind of transfer can happen, maybe it's Korean thing?) Now her workday is filled with standing at the door greeting customers with her staff, and handling both disgruntled patrons and employees a like. This is NOT the job she signed up for, but what other choice does she have?

The night of her transfer she whistfully tells her best friends about her old dreams, working her way back to childhood. None of those has come true. Her best friend, Dong-Mi, is played by Uhm Jeong-hwa of "Marriage is a Crazy Thing". Although she's far more levelheaded and pragmatic than her friend, she's currently on boyfriend numer 48 and counting. I read somewhere not long ago that the average marrying age for women in Korea is something like 28. Both women are at the age where society says they should be settling down, but neither is in a hurry to do so for their own reasons.

Rounding out their trio is Lee Beom-soo (Make it Big, Jungle Juice, Just Do It!) as Dong-Mi's roommate Jeong-joon. He joins the ladies in bemoaning their horrible luck at love and asks them for advice on his current girlfriend while they make kimchi. He also serves several other purposes, but I won't ruin it for you!

In many ways this might be considered a "chick flick". But it's about the value of friendship, not bowing to societal (and familial) pressures, trying to follow your dreams (even if you don't know what they are), as well as female empowerment. And not in a sappy way! I'd hate to think what Hollywood would do with a story like this. Actually, I know just what they'd do with the ending, and it would have been far less surprising and satisfying, but anyone interested will have to see it to find out!

As for the DVD specs, I'm not big on that and anyone with internet access can find out for themselves (lazy! just kidding!) It's your usual high quality Korean release, two discs, tons of extras, some of which I actually watched despite the lack of subtitles. There are a good number of deleted scenes, interviews with the three of the actors and the director, a lot of behind the scenes footage, making of a music video and the video itself, which is very cute, and I think it's a song by Loveholic that was popular that year!

Highly recommended.

One of the funniest movies. Definitely doesnt lack in wit and sarcasm when you see the earlier scenes of the drama. I think that this sort of role really suits Jang Jin Young and Uhm Jung Hwa, their chemistry as best friends/sister like relationship is amazing and surprisingly realistic.

• 1 year later...

One of the funniest movies. Definitely doesnt lack in wit and sarcasm when you see the earlier scenes of the drama. I think that this sort of role really suits Jang Jin Young and Uhm Jung Hwa, their chemistry as best friends/sister like relationship is amazing and surprisingly realistic.

Agree....a really funny movie....especially JANG JIN YOUNG....she is so hilarious (especially in that "dream'')

Archived