Episodes: 24

Director: Kim Yeong-Jo

Writer: Lee Myeong-hee

Release Date: January 2 - March 20, 2016

Runtime: Saturday & Sunday 21:40

Production Company:

OST:

Official site: Official Site

Watch Viki: https://www.viki.com/tv/28323c-jang-young-sil (not licensed yet)

Plot

The drama depicts the life of Jang Yeong Sil, who was a scientist and astronomer during the Joseon Dynasty.

Jang Yeong sil was born in the lower class nobi. King Sejong notices his abilities and brings him to the palace. King Sejong grants him a chance to display his abilities. He invents tools like astronomical instruments, iron printing press and a water clock. http://asianwiki.com/Jang_Yeong-Sil

Cast

tumblr_nuwqyqmHR61sdd1ivo1_540.png

Song Il-Kook - Jang Yeong-Sil

Park Sun-Young - Princess Sohyun

Kim Sang-Kyung- King Sejong

Kim Young-Chul- King Taejo

Jung Han-Yong- Hwang Hui

Son Byung-Ho- Ha Yeon

Lee Ji-Hoon - Jang Hee-Je

Character descriptions

Charascters

Jang Youngsil (cast: Song Il Kook)

One of the greatest scientists of Joseon Dynasty.

Thanks to King Sejong the Great’s excellent leadership, the Joseon Dynasty was able to become the world’s greatest country of Science and Technology. Born as a servant, he was a self-made man, but he was removed from the palace because he did not make the king’s palanquin properly. After that, there are no records of him.

He invented many superior clocks such as Clepsydra as well as several astronomical instruments.

Charascters

Sejong (cast: Kim Sang Kyung)

I Do(1397~1450)

A wise and benevolent ruler of Joseon Dynasty. He selected talented people like Jang Youngsil, made astronomical observations, and strengthened many policies.

Despite constant conflicts against his courtiers, Sejong improved Joseon as he pursued tolerance instead of slaughter.

Charascters

Taejong (cast: Kim Young Chul)

Lee Bang Won(1367~1422)

Although he created a strong central government and an absolute monarchy, without his work, the foundation of Joseon Dynasty would not have been established. His governance philosophy was different from his son, Sejong, yet he exerted every effort on making his son a great king.

Charascters

Princess So Hyun (cast: Park Sun Young)

Daughter of Taejong, Sejong’s older sister

Even though she lost her husband at an early age, she still made a living. Then she met Jang Youngsil who is her child day friend. She was kind enough to support Jang Youngsil, and later she happened to care for him. However, her affection landed him in difficulties.

Source: KBS World

Posters

690x360_1.jpg

01_1280_1.jpg

Teaser/Trailer

01.Soompi code of conduct | SOOMPI RULES FOR KDRAMA | MOVIES | ACTORS' & ACTRESS' SECTION

Don't post any requests for subs!Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. Don't quote images.

01.Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately.02.Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.03.Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, Etc.. should be report to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here.04.Those who are caught breaking the Soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their Id/IDs reported the mods. 05.Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs ( those without permission from the orginal subbers and doesn't have copyrights like  SOOMPI TV, Viki, Dramafever, Kdrama.com or Crunchyroll) will have their ID's reported to the mods for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions.

PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Song Il Gook Confirmed for New Historical KBS Drama

Song Il Gook Confirmed for New Historical KBS Drama

Actor Song Il Gook has finally been confirmed to star in the drama that he has been attached to for some time now, KBS’ upcoming historical drama “Jang Young Sil” (working title), after much speculation and anxiety because of the possibility of him dropping “Superman Returns.”

Song Il Gook and his beloved triplets are currently appearing on “Superman Returns,” and the concern has been that they would have to drop out if Song Il Gook decides to do the drama because of scheduling conflicts. But rest assured, fellow fans. The Song family plans to stay, according to reports.

Jang Young Sil is expected to start airing on KBS in January 2016 and will run for 24 episodes. Song Il Gook will take on the titular role of Jang Young Sil who was a scientist and astronomer during the Joseon Dynasty.

Soompi

http://www.soompi.com/2015/07/27/song-il-gook-confirmed-for-new-historical-kbs-drama/

Park Sun Young to Join Song Il Gook as Leading Lady in Upcoming Historical Drama

Park Sun Young to Join Song Il Gook as Leading Lady in Upcoming Historical Drama

Song Il Gook will be joined by actress Park Sun Young in next year’s much-anticipated KBS historical drama!

The drama “Jang Young Sil” (working title) is the story of a genius scientist who lived during the Joseon period and created many amazing inventions while working at the royal court.

It’s said that there will be a tragic love story between Song Il Gook and Park Sun Young’s characters. This isn’t the first time that the two actors have worked together, as they previously acted out another sad love story in the drama “Crime Squad.”

“Jang Young Sil” started filming on September 16. It’s slatted to begin airing in January of next year, and will have 24 episodes.

Soompi

http://www.soompi.com/2015/09/18/park-sun-young-to-join-song-il-gook-as-leading-lady-in-upcoming-historical-drama/

A few information about the real historical figure, Jang Yeong Sil.

Jang Yeong-sil: Inventor of the Striking Clepsydra during the Reign of King Sejong in Joseon

by Nam Moon-hyon

Jang Yeong-sil was the Chief Royal Engineer in charge of the engineering and construction project for re-equipping the Royal Observatory during the reign of King Sejong (世宗 r. 1432-1438). Jang devoted himself to making five kinds of astronomical instruments and ten timekeepers. In this paper the life and contributions of Jang are introduced along with his major invention: the striking clepsydra. This paper also discusses how the clepsydras were handed down and utilized by Jang’s successors in the making of astronomical clocks in Joseon. Not only did Jang assimilate the techniques of his Korean, Chinese and Islamic predecessors, but he also was a creative and innovative engineer. Jang is in some ways the most articulate among those in a long tradition of “automation” in Asian science and technology, where automation is a matter of submission to the laws of nature rather than the means of controlling nature, as seen in our time. This paper positions Jang’s work as a catalyst for new directions in automation and robotic arts. He was one of those mechanical geniuses who contributed to the advancement of pre-modern science and technology.

http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F978-94-007-4132-4_6

Other information Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jang_Yeong-sil

@larus, thank you so much for starting this thread....

I am so excited for Song Il Guk to lead a drama again!

And thank you for the historical information as well....!  Lets make sure that the drama gets subbed.

Viki already has a potential page for it.

https://www.viki.com/tv/28323c-jang-young-sil

Please everyone, (including lurkers), click to follow.  And also submit a title request form for :   Jang Yeong-Sil - 장영실

https://vikiinc.wufoo.com/forms/title-request-form/

And thank you for the historical information as well....!  Lets make sure that the drama gets subbed.

I am excited to see Song Il Gook again. I only saw him in Jumong so it was a long time ago.  Yeah, we have to submit the title request. And I am glad it is just 24 episodes drama.

I'm sure KBS World will show it too... :wub::wub:

What do you think about our leading lady, PSY, chinggus ???

I had just watched her in the family drama, Sons of Sol Pharmacy back in 2009 and never knew that she's ever acted in some historical dramas... :w00t:

Never saw her in anything but I think they will be good together onscreen. I read that they acted together in a drama before. So it is a reunion.

@larus" Thanks Chingu for starting this thread.

Reading the synopsis makes it sounds interested for me to give it a try which I haven't seen a Joseon drama yet.

I liked Song ll Gook when he played in Kingdom in the Wind and Terms of Edearment, as to where he's a great actor and glad he's back on center stage, So I'll definitely look forward to seeing this drama when it airs.

I had just watched her in the family drama, Sons of Sol Pharmacy back in 2009 and never knew that she's ever acted in some historical dramas... :w00t:

Hello My Dear Twin @badsmuler,   How are you and the family these days I hope everything is going good for you, I'm also visiting my mom staying until January.. On to the drama at hand I'm Song II Kook biggest fan love him with his boys and has been looking forward to this drama even though I don't think we would see much action out of him in this drama he would be playing more of and intellectual character which I don't mind I just hope he gives us a good performance since he's been spending the majority of his time playing houseman..  On to PSY I think SOSP was the only drama I've seen her in never really paid to much attention to her I guess I got to take notes on her in this drama also but I'm so looking forward to this Saguek..   

I am excited to see Song Il Gook again. I only saw him in Jumong so it was a long time ago.  Yeah, we have to submit the title request. And I am glad it is just 24 episodes drama.

@larus,  Hi,  You should check him out in the kingdom of winds it was also goo I thought

Never saw her in anything but I think they will be good together onscreen. I read that they acted together in a drama before. So it is a reunion.

The only other drama I've known him to play in was terms of endearment as @suchadiva mention but I don't recall her playing the lead in that drama.. I'm going to have to look up what other drama or movie they played in together.. SIK and LJK  are my two leading men for Saguek and would love to see them in a Saguek together 

Hello My Dear Twin @badsmuler,   How are you and the family these days I hope everything is going good for you, I'm also visiting my mom staying until January.. On to the drama at hand I'm Song II Kook biggest fan love him with his boys and has been looking forward to this drama even though I don't think we would see much action out of him in this drama he would be playing more of and intellectual character which I don't mind I just hope he gives us a good performance since he's been spending the majority of his time playing houseman..  On to PSY I think SOSP was the only drama I've seen her in never really paid to much attention to her I guess I got to take notes on her in this drama also but I'm so looking forward to this Saguek..   

@larus,  Hi,  You should check him out in the kingdom of winds it was also goo I thought

The only other drama I've known him to play in was terms of endearment as @suchadiva mention but I don't recall her playing the lead in that drama.. I'm going to have to look up what other drama or movie they played in together.. SIK and LJK  are my two leading men for Saguek and would love to see them in a Saguek together 

@valsava" What your talking about PSY only played in SOSP drama, what about Lady Of The Storm that we've watched a couple of months ago along with my Yeobo HW.

@valsava" What your talking about PSY only played in SOSP drama, what about Lady Of The Storm that we've watched a couple of months ago along with my Yeobo HW.

@suchadiva42,  That's right she did play in that drama no wonder I couldn't remember her that drama about ran me crazy and I didn't care to remember any of the characters in that drama nobody but HW and the budget was so bad for him all his clothes was either to little or his pants wasn't long enough.  I just hope that wardrobe team have nothing to do what this drama remember they had one of the leads overdress with those damn feathers  

@suchadiva42,  That's right she did play in that drama no wonder I couldn't remember her that drama about ran me crazy and I didn't care to remember any of the characters in that drama nobody but HW and the budget was so bad for him all his clothes was either to little or his pants wasn't long enough.  I just hope that wardrobe team have nothing to do what this drama remember they had one of the leads overdress with those damn feathers  

@valsava"  I believe there was an malfunction in the Wardrobes Dept lmao, because HW pants was high waters as we used to called it back in the day lol.

I hope PSY does well in this drama so my pressure can stay normal, and like you said she drove our butts to the edge of a building ready to leap off it in a single bound lol.

Edit: @irilight" Done, filled out the form.

@valsava"  I believe there was an malfunction in the Wardrobes Dept lmao, because HW pants was high waters as we used to called it back in the day lol.

I hope PSY does well in this drama so my pressure can stay normal, and like you said she drove our butts to the edge of a building ready to leap in a single bound off of it lol.

Edit: @irilight" Done, filled out the form.

@suchadiva42,  Malfunction isn't the word for that drama,  But since this is a Saguek you can't go wrong there wasn't to many styles for the ladies and gentleman's to choose from

Thanks @larus for starting this thread....hello everyone! Nice to see my dear friends.....@irilight and @valsava in this thread - an nyeong chingu!

Whoa....this thread is moving very fast.  Great to know there are so many fans of Song Il-gook and Park Sun-young.  Both actors acted in KBS dramas, Royal Story-Jang Hui-bin and Crime Squad. I remember her from MBC drama, "Truth/Honesty" - PSY played the evil role character in that drama  with Choi Ji-woo and Ryu Si-won.  That was so long ago and I really miss watching old K-dramas that was produced in year 2000 or so.

Can't wait to watch this epic sageuk drama - SIK is most famous for his charismatic acting in Joseon era.    

Thanks @larus for starting this thread....hello everyone! Nice to see my dear friends.....@irilight and @valsava in this thread - an nyeong chingu!

Whoa....this thread is moving very fast.  Great to know there are so many fans of Song Il-gook and Park Sun-young.  Both actors acted in KBS dramas, Royal Story-Jang Hui-bin and Crime Squad. I remember her from MBC drama, "Truth/Honesty" - PSY played the evil role character in that drama  with Choi Ji-woo and Ryu Si-won.  That was so long ago and I really miss watching old K-dramas that was produced in year 2000 or so.

Can't wait to watch this epic sageuk drama - SIK is most famous for his charismatic acting in Joseon era.    

Hi,@felicia-soh,  Glad you can make it how are you.. The drama truth and honesty that PSY played in wasn't that the drama were she almost killed two people and blamed it on the other girl..?

Archived