Siwon Apologizes for Controversial Retweet Supporting Kim Davis

Newsie

Choi Siwon has taken (again) to Twitter to apologize for his controversial retweet. On September 11, the Super Junior member shared a post proclaiming that “so-called same-sex marriage does not exist.” The post in question links to an opinion editorial written in support of Kim Davis, an American county clerk who illegally refused to issue […]

The post Siwon Apologizes for Controversial Retweet Supporting Kim Davis appeared first on Soompi.

View the full article

I have no idea what Siwon's English proficiency is, but the op-ed he linked to is a legal argument that relies on a couple of Supreme Court and historical twists that wouldn't be clear to some Americans. So I'm willing to believe that he saw something that his reverend tweeted, knows that he agrees with his reverend on same-sex marriage generally, and thoughtlessly retweeted in support without really looking at the op-ed.

Unfortunately, that means that Siwon actually retweeted an op-ed that is basically claiming that religious individuals on the local level can reject the rulings of the highest court in the land and violate the legal right of homosexuals to marry. So he came off sounding like he supports elected officials breaking the law and denying citizens' rights on religious whims - something I'm pretty sure he wouldn't support if the office-holder was anything other than Christian.

If this serves as a wake-up call, good. It's one thing to have a personal religious belief, but it's quite another to broadcast that belief thoughtlessly.

Guest draMaCHUN1

Although I don't support same sex marriage , just like I have the right to voice my opinion those who do support same sex marriage have that same right! I still like Siwon as an entertainer! But now even respect him as a man who is true to his own beliefs. If others were the same , so many people wouldn't have to quess why they treat them as they do.I would try to never hurt ANYONE with my way of thinking or my faith. Some fans have gay members in their families and love them still in spite of that, as they should ,hopefully this is the last time for his slight on others , none of us are perfect!!! fighting SIWON AND MY FELLOW ELFS!!!

Why does he have to apologize for expressing his stand on the same-sex marriage issue? Isn't everyone entitled to their own opinion?

Siwon didn't express his stand on the same-sex marriage issue. He linked to an op-ed that claimed local elected officials should be able to ignore Supreme Court rulings and impose their religious beliefs on others, denying them their legal right to marry.

Think of it this way: it would be like an elected school board member suddenly announcing that he won't let girls into higher-level math classes anymore because his religion says they just don't understand numbers. Or an elected town zoning official refusing to issue liquor licenses to anyone under 5'0" because he once had a scary dream about being poisoned by a dwarf. It's discrimination that denies a legal right based on personal persecution. It's illegal, which is why Kim Davis was in jail.

I don't think Siwon meant to throw his support behind local elected officials being able to defy the laws of the United States government, but that's what he did. He implied that he thinks it's correct to strip homosexual couples of their right to marry, in spite of the Supreme Court. That's very different from having a personal opinion.

Guest sagansenpai

This isn't about free speech or opinions. Siwon can think or say whatever he wants, but if his opinions are problematic and crappy, then yeah, people are going to challenge them, and personally I think that's great. I'm glad that even if he's still set in his beliefs, people's reactions at least made him aware of the damage on some level.

This isn't about free speech or opinions. Siwon can think or say whatever he wants, but if his opinions are problematic and crappy, then yeah, people are going to challenge them, and personally I think that's great. I'm glad that even if he's still set in his beliefs, people's reactions at least made him aware of the damage on some level.

Yep. It's okay for him to have an opinion and have his beliefs, but others are also. That's how the Internet works. So, if he and his apologists/defenders don't want him to be called out, then, he should think first about the gravity of what he shares before publishing it, in this case, a retweet espousing one's so-called right to be a bigot and using that office to force her myopic religious beliefs to impinge on the legal right of same sex couples to marry.

I don't know if he is sincere about his apology, especially considering that the backlash has partly (though probably minimally) marred his image. But I guess, at least, he apologized.

I still like siwon but he needs to stay out of our business here in the U.S he's in S.Korea and so he should keep his nose out our country's business plain and simple

So says many, many, MANY other people all over the world about the US being in all up inside their country's business. Just sayin' ....

Guest Tofu_Cloud

I really dislike asians who get brained wash to become hardcore christians or catholics. I was baptized a Christian as a baby without permission and as i got older i returned to my roots as a Buddhist. Why? Because it's all about love and because i was old and smart enough to make a decision on my own after learning about them both and knowing what makes sense. I really will never understand some ppl.

I really dislike asians who get brained wash to become hardcore christians or catholics. I was baptized a Christian as a baby without permission and as i got older i returned to my roots as a Buddhist. Why? Because it's all about love and because i was old and smart enough to make a decision on my own after learning about them both and knowing what makes sense. I really will never understand some ppl.

So when you grew up and decided to become a buddhist, it is somehow enlightened. However, when others grew up and decided to remain Christians, they are brainwashed?

Guest CelibateCetologist.

that's actually a really good apology. o: most people who get called out on their bigotry usually apologize for people feeling hurt rather than them being responsible for that hurt.

but i still get an iffy feeling about this? i hope by learning from his mistakes, he means he's going to try and unlearn the toxic attitude he has about queer people.

off-topic but wtf his english is really good. when did that happen? have i not been paying attention or something?

11 hours ago, MusicDiva. said:

I still like siwon but he needs to stay out of our business here in the U.S he's in S.Korea and so he should keep his nose out our country's business plain and simple

So says many, many, MANY other people all over the world about the US being in all up inside their country's business. Just sayin' ....

Regardless my being off-topic... Amen, Ginaaaa! "Woe to you, scribs and Pharisees, you hypocrites..."

I don't mind if Siwon wants to express his opinion but I also think he is a hypocrite. Suju isn't exactly opposed to using gay fanservice to attract attention. Isn't he also a model? The fashion industry has plenty of gay people working and designing the clothes he models. Marriage is a right that everybody should have regardless of their sexuality. Why do religious people think they have a right to take that right away from non religious people? If Christians want the right to practice their religion, then other people have the right to live their life the way they want without being bombarded by hate every day. With all that said, I wasn't upset with Siwon's tweet because it won't change the fact that gay people can now marry.

In lots of countries, Christianity is part of their cultures for tens of centuries. I see where you're coming from, however I'd have found it odd if my parents had left me alone to make my own choices in terms of religion. Tradition and Catholicism go hand in hand, a fact that we all learn as we grow up in my country.
I may not practice any religion myself but Christianity means family ties, rituals and bonding between neighbours, hence my entire cultural and national identity.

I don't mind if Siwon wants to express his opinion but I also think he is a hypocrite. Suju isn't exactly opposed to using gay fanservice to attract attention. Isn't he also a model? The fashion industry has plenty of gay people working and designing the clothes he models. Marriage is a right that everybody should have regardless of their sexuality. Why do religious people think they have a right to take that right away from non religious people? If Christians want the right to practice their religion, then other people have the right to live their life the way they want without being bombarded by hate every day. With all that said, I wasn't upset with Siwon's tweet because it won't change the fact that gay people can now marry.

True Christians are no hypocrites whatsoever. Bizarre and odd preaches from hard-core "Crusaders" against gay people or other minorities solely reflect their own psychological dysfunctions. Obsessed individuals are not qualified to represent billions of others nor their religion.

I really dislike religious instigators who think they are better than another of a different belief. Religious superiority is no different than race superiority. It is stupid. If you were smart enough you wouldn't be needing such baggage as religion to hold you back on your decision making.

Guest Ming Banger

Says the American who's commenting on a Korean entertainment website.
If that is your feeling, then I must insist you never write another comment about my country's celebrities or our political view points. Fair enough?

On 12/09/2015, MusicDiva. said:

Says the American who's commenting on a Korean entertainment website.
If that is your feeling, then I must insist you never write another comment about my country's celebrities or our political view points. Fair enough?

LOL, very fair indeeed!

Guest novadestin

I find it very sad that anyone who says anything outside of what those "in power" deem as acceptable is immediately made into the devil. And, all of that coming from a supposedly open-minded, tolerant, and accepting populous. Just another example of how we all have a LOT to learn.

Archived