TVXQ’s Yunho to Serve in Military Band for Rest of Service

TVXQ‘s Yunho has been placed in the 26th Mechanized Infantry Division following his basic training, and will be serving in it for the next 21 months in active duty as part of the military band. According to TVXQ’s agency SM Entertainment, “Yunho was assigned to the 26th Mechanized Infantry Division as part of the military […]

The post TVXQ’s Yunho to Serve in Military Band for Rest of Service appeared first on Soompi.

View the full article

If I am a male in Korea, I am pissed that all of these idols are fulfilling their service by being in the band, or regular public police instead of infantry. It is ridiculous how many of them just happen to end up in these non-combat areas. How does the government and country stand for this special treatment?

Guest Ming Banger

If I am a male in Korea, I am pissed that all of these idols are fulfilling their service by being in the band, or regular public police instead of infantry. It is ridiculous how many of them just happen to end up in these non-combat areas. How does the government and country stand for this special treatment?

He enlisted in regular Army. It's the Army that decides what he will be doing. They chose this post for him not any special treatment.

He enlisted in regular Army. It's the Army that decides what he will be doing. They chose this post for him not any special treatment.

There is no way that it is just a coincidence that all these idols get non-combat, non-infantry assignments. It is not the army randomly assigning them to all these special positions. Not mathematically possible to be a coincidence. 

Guest Ming Banger

57 minutes ago, Ming Banger said:

1 hour ago, jcruz said:

There is no way that it is just a coincidence that all these idols get non-combat, non-infantry assignments. It is not the army randomly assigning them to all these special positions. Not mathematically possible to be a coincidence. 

So you basically just called me a liar?

Stop argue :) The answer is obvious - SM.

it is the same kind of announcement by sm when shindong and sungmin completed their basic training.If it is based on skill that it is fair but it is becoming more than a coincidence with the same type of announcement from sm.

The agency also revealed the exact divisions in which Shindong and Sungmin have been assigned.

"Shindong was sent to the third headquarters' 55th division military band while Sungmin was sent to the 17th division military band at Bucheon, Gyeonggi-do," SM Entertainment reportedly said. cr kpopstarz

Guest kurogoma_1

yunho is still in an active combative infantry role. the military band assignment is an extra job. he is not in the military 24/7. just like how his other division mates will have extra jobs in the band as well, as medic, as cook, as storeman, etc ON TOP of their combative roles. he and other musicians we know are assigned military band by MMA instead of, say, as medics because they already have the music skills.

i believe fans who are from countries that have armies would be familiar with this. a role of an infantryman isn't just combat, there are many roles they play on top of that to be a functioning army.

Guest kurogoma_1

yunho is still in an active combative infantry role. the military band assignment is an extra job. he is not in the military 24/7. just like how his other division mates will have extra jobs in the band as well, as medic, as cook, as storeman, etc ON TOP of their combative roles. he and other musicians we know are assigned military band by MMA instead of, say, as medics because they already have the music skills.

i believe fans who are from countries that have armies would be familiar with this. a role of an infantryman isn't just combat, there are many roles they play on top of that to be a functioning army.

**he is not in the military band 24/7.

No I am saying you are naive if you think that there are no considerations given to celebrities when it comes to determining their military assignments.    Super Junior Siwon- conscripted police, Super Junior Donghae-conscripted police, TVXQ Changmin- conscripted police, Super Junior Heechul- only fit for desk duty, Shindong- military band, Sungmin-military band.... see a pattern here? 

Guest Ming Banger

11 hours ago, Ming Banger said:

12 hours ago, jcruz said:

12 hours ago, Ming Banger said:

13 hours ago, jcruz said:

No I am saying you are naive if you think that there are no considerations given to celebrities when it comes to determining their military assignments.    Super Junior Siwon- conscripted police, Super Junior Donghae-conscripted police, TVXQ Changmin- conscripted police, Super Junior Heechul- only fit for desk duty, Shindong- military band, Sungmin-military band.... see a pattern here? 

It's really annoying to have someone who doesn't live here try to school me on what goes on in my country. The test for policemen is open to everyone. Public service is done by men who are physically unable to perform in combat positions. Heechul had his leg broken in multiple places and it was repaired with rods and pins. Off camera he has a very subtle limp. He still served. The Korean military gives an ocean's worth of leniency to men and certain situations. The military also considers assignments based on how well or badly men perform in boot camp. Sorry but SM has no pull with the Korean Armed Forces. They might have their influence insinuated elsewhere but not there. Why would Korean males be angry? They're afforded the very same options. A man who is the sole provider for his family is exempted from serving along with dozens of other reasons.

13 hours ago, rossiyan said:

it is the same kind of announcement by sm when shindong and sungmin completed their basic training.If it is based on skill that it is fair but it is becoming more than a coincidence with the same type of announcement from sm.

The agency also revealed the exact divisions in which Shindong and Sungmin have been assigned.

"Shindong was sent to the third headquarters' 55th division military band while Sungmin was sent to the 17th division military band at Bucheon, Gyeonggi-do," SM Entertainment reportedly said. cr kpopstarz

Jaejoong has left SM yet he is also in the military band. I don't think this is a good argument.

It is my opinion. I don't care if you agree with it, disagree with it, like it or dislike it. When the US can stop stationing troops in South Korea to help secure the country, I will stop caring about the military assignments in South Korea. Here in the US we have true freedom of speech and that means even speech that you find offensive, disagreeable or incorrect.  

16 hours ago, jonniez said:

16 hours ago, rossiyan said:

Jaejoong has left SM yet he is also in the military band. I don't think this is a good argument.

Did you read my comments-I said it is not wrong if it is based on skill. But it is the perception given by SM in their announcement .They should have be more careful with their PR to the media.

Guest suncine445

18 hours ago, jonniez said:

18 hours ago, rossiyan said:

lol, why is Jaejoong's name being dragged here.And there is a code of conduct in professional reporting and write up.

Guest suncine445

4 hours ago, kiddy_days said:

16 hours ago, jonniez said:

16 hours ago, rossiyan said:

Did you read my comments-I said it is not wrong if it is based on skill. But it is the perception given by SM in their announcement .They should have be more careful with their PR to the media.

I read your comment and there is nothing to suggest anything about Jaejoong and a good argument???Soompi writers !!!

6 hours ago, kiddy_days said:

20 hours ago, jonniez said:

20 hours ago, rossiyan said:

lol, why is Jaejoong's name being dragged here.And there is a code of conduct in professional reporting and write up.

I used Jaejoong as the counterexample because he is the only other idol singer I know who is currently serving in the military and he happens to also be serving in the band. Obviously their talents and experiences are going to be put to good use.
In any case, there are 3 levels of military band and all of the aforementioned idols including Yunho are in level C, which means they submit for regular training with military band as their specialties. There's no shady business here as the opportunity is open to everyone else, and the level C military band is well reputed to be of the same difficulty as every other branch of the military.
And thank you for your concerns about my professionalism, but I have confirmed with editors that I am allowed to have and voice my opinion in the comments as a Soompi user myself.

Guest suncine445

4 hours ago, suncine445 said:

9 hours ago, kiddy_days said:

22 hours ago, jonniez said:

23 hours ago, rossiyan said:

I used Jaejoong as the counterexample because he is the only other idol singer I know who is currently serving in the military and he happens to also be serving in the band. Obviously their talents and experiences are going to be put to good use.
In any case, there are 3 levels of military band and all of the aforementioned idols including Yunho are in level C, which means they submit for regular training with military band as their specialties. There's no shady business here as the opportunity is open to everyone else, and the level C military band is well reputed to be of the same difficulty as every other branch of the military.
And thank you for your concerns about my professionalism, but I have confirmed with editors that I am allowed to have and voice my opinion in the comments as a Soompi user myself.

Of course you can comment when necessary as an umpire to create peace and harmony in the thread and not adding fuel to a very sensitive discussion that was going on. Discreet at using one's priviledge should be observed from as a contributing staff member.

Guest suncine445

2 hours ago, kiddy_days said:

23 hours ago, jonniez said:

22 hours ago, jonniez said:

Of course you can comment when necessary as an umpire to create peace and harmony in the thread and not adding fuel to a very sensitive discussion that was going on. Discreet at using one's priviledge should be observed from as a contributing staff member.

For your info, there are plenty of other celebrities who are currently serving as well

Guest Ming Banger

It is my opinion. I don't care if you agree with it, disagree with it, like it or dislike it. When the US can stop stationing troops in South Korea to help secure the country, I will stop caring about the military assignments in South Korea. Here in the US we have true freedom of speech and that means even speech that you find offensive, disagreeable or incorrect.  

Feel free to contact your Congressperson at your earliest possible convenience and ask that US Forces withdraw from Korea.  A US base that by the way, is paid for exclusively by the Korean people. We could use the 1 billion USD that we pour into the base annually for plenty of other things that benefits the Korean people exclusively.  The US will never leave; Korea is a perfect strategic point to keep an eye on China and Russia...as well as Malaysia and Indonesia.

Frankly, I'm puzzled by your "freedom of speech" rant.  Who's keeping you from giving your opinion on a country you've apparently never been in and believing an entertainment agency can actually influence the Korean military?  You're free to give your opinion about my country and I'm free to tell you that you're wrong.  If that's offensive to you, I'm sorry. 

Archived