[Drama 2016] Signal 시그널

larus

Ep.5

n1.jpg

Star News - Naver: 'Signal' Jo Jin Woong regrets communicating with Lee Je Hoon... "I shouldn't have started this"
1. [+5,071, -64] This drama is crazy amazing. Although it's a detective story, the twists and turns are so unpredictable. Like what Jo Jin Woong said in the end, he shouldn't have have started communicating with him

2. [+3,868, -54] I couldn't figure out what today's incident is all about

3. [+3,665, -34] I don't take a bathroom brake because I'm scared I might miss something important... What is this drama exactly?

4. [+3,643, -47] Jo Jin Woong's such a great actor

5. [+2,982, -41] The episodes are too short. I hope they extend it to 2 hours

6. [+966, -8] If the Daedo incident ahjusshi is not the culprit, then he's really pitiful

7. [+852, -13] Reply's episodes are almost 2 hours long, why is Signal only an hour? !!!!!

8. [+800, -10] Wow, every scene in this drama gives me shivers.. I hope Lee Je Hoon shares his walkie talkie secret to Kim Hye Soo soon ㅠㅠㅠㅠ Her charisma is oozing when she said "You killed him"

9. [+754, -7] Poor Lee Jae Han. The woman he loves dies, he arrests his close friend whose daughter also dies ㅠㅠ he should throw away the walkie talkie

Osen- Naver: 'Signal', Jo Jin Woong and Kim Hye Soo, love line or no love line?

1. [+1,642 , -53] I don't care if there is no love line,  I just want Jo Jin Woong to be aliveㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ

2. [+1,012, -15] This drama's really daebak. The story us so good enough to outshine American dramas. It's engaging and it makes you stew in curiosity ㅋㅋㅋㅋ

3. [+886, -71] It's obvious that they will have a love line just by looking at the night duty scene. But I think, it's only one sided-love in Kim Hye Soo's part

4. [+124, -3] I don't mind if there is no love lineㅠ I want the three leads to be alive

5. [+97, 0] It seems like Cha Soo Hyun either has a crush on Lee Jae Han or she's just yearning for him as a colleague

Osen- Nate: 'Signal', Lee Je Hoon and Jo Jin Woong, scary butterfly effect... Can they catch the real culprit? 

1. [+455, -6] Daebak, I'm watching a movie twice a week. tvN dramas are really the trend. Cheese in the Trap on Mon/Tue and Signal on Fri/Sat. If they have Wed/Thur dramas, I would be at peace for the whole weekㅋㅋㅋ

2. [+445, -6] The guy in the Daedo incident is such a good actor. He did a good job mixing creepiness and sadness on his face during the washroom scene

3. [+51, -2] All tvN dramas are crazy fun ㅋㅋ The previews make you anticipate the next episode and they put much more effort at making them than public channel shows.

4. [+43, 0] I wouldn't get sick of this drama even if I watch the reruns. There's a good balance of touching and tense moments. Why is Signal's running only 60 minutes when Reply has 60 minutes per episode? Either raise the running time to 90 minutes or air everydayㅋㅋ

Credit : http://kkuljaem.blogspot.co.id/2016/02/spoilers-madame-antoine-signal.html

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dramas about time-travel or anything to do with fixing the past and getting a better future are my favorites, I want to watch it, but I am giving it time to get more episodes, meanwhile I read your posts and that is enough for now... As I have read it is a nice drama and I am looking forward to enjoy it one shot...

Just watched the 5th episode and I've got so many questions lol.

I think it's a given that the woman professor is related to the case. In 1995 she was only 17 but it's highly possible that she is the real thief. The police mentioned that they did not find any stolen money/items anywhere, so most likely the thief did not steal for the money, but has other goals in mind. I wonder if the girl stole from the homes of the wealthy because she wanted to rebel against her parents or do something because she wanted attention but realized her wrongdoings too late. She seemed to be from a pretty wealthy family, so she would have the connections needed to see inside the wealthy people's homes. I wonder why she would be on the bridge during the fire incident though. She most likely had traumatic disorder because she feels guilty about something that occurred on the bridge (i.e. The daughters death) Somehow I think it's kind of too big of a coincidence for both the suspect, the daughter, and the real thief to be in the same place together...?Unless the girl was somehow following them to the police station. Idk. Another thing. If the father was caught because of his fingerprints on the mailbox, assuming that he was framed, then someone must have known him enough to get his fingerprint and frame him for it. Maybe the woman professor and the father somehow know each other? The thieves of the neighborhood seem to all have connections with each other (that's how PHY got info about the case). That might explain why the father knows the identity of the true thief.

From the trailer we can see that something bad will happen in the future and LJH will try to solve the case in the past to prevent the future catastrophe. I really feel for the dad though. He was forced to go to prison for 20 years after his daughter died right in front of him. 

After watching this episode I think it's pretty obvious that LJH was killed/wounded by someone really powerful and connected to the police, most likely a corrupt government official. LJH was silenced because he was investigating a case that will expose the dark side of the higher ups in his field. I wonder why CHS did not investigate the case further. I'm sure she knows that LJH is innocent, yet she stayed in the police despite knowing that LJH was framed. 

There's a possibility that LJH might be alive, too. Somehow I think the writer wouldn't reveal that he's dead so early on in the story, unless there's a twist. The police obviously did not find his body yet else CHS wouldn't be looking for a skeleton...Or maybe not, just a theory. 

I can't wait for the episode tomorrow! This series has me on the edge of my seat!

@tw20127 I am not a type of person who wants to read a long post explanation actually but your insight makes sense to me. All nerves on my brain worked so hard while watching yesterday's episode. No complaint at all since my brain is not doing its job properly lately.

I think I had a Narnia moment there when Det Lee told PHY that it had been six years since they were in contact and PHY saying that he was still in 2015. ;)

The balance in this show so far is very good. While the time bridging device gets a look in, it doesn't get overused. There's still no explanation about how the walkie talkie works except that transmissions start when cases that Det Lee were/are involved in remain unsolved. That's important I think because time bridging isn't the main thing here... the cases are.

Then there's the police culture that's rife with issues. Aside from corrupt leadership and dodgy cover-ups, there's the ever pervasive problem of ineffective policing. So many cops staking out the location and yet the criminal slips through their grasp. There's no coordination, just a lot of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Clearly they're setting up PHY as the outsider here. New blood using new investigative techniques, who hasn't got much time for the force as an organization due to his checkered history with them. Although that puts him out of favour with his superiors, it gives him a unique perspective on cases that don't fit the narrative that the higher-ups like to trot out.

The thing is, will PHY have to play the game in order to get to the larger goal of solving crimes? 

The new case looks to be a tragic case of wrongful arrest and conviction. Clearly the man at the centre is calling attention to it. I'm curious to see where that goes.

11 hours ago, liddi said:

Tears and more tears... in one short 1+ hours, my heart felt like it's been torn out and ripped apart over and over again. This time, my initial thoughts of a fixed number of deaths seem to be thrown into the wind... as we see that following an innocent suggestion by PHY, what appears to be initially a cold case with no dead victims, has now claimed at least 1 if not more, and certainly scarring lives of those who loved them in this new reality. Lives which previously should not have had any connection, are now irretrievably linked to each other, bound by a terrible past. I echo PHY's words... "How?" "Why?"

[...]

Not enough has been revealed of the latest case so certainly questions and speculations abound, but I will refrain from voicing them here for now. What I can say is that if this pattern continues... I have now come to expect the unexpected from this drama, and can't wait to continue on this amazing journey that is ahead of us, knowing that there is a cerebral and emotional payoff just around the bend.

Sorry to cut your post!

I think, there were many hints/clues in that episode to come up with a theory!!

I had the same idea about the number of victims but it was revealed as untrue, since an innocent died due to that case! Yet, I believe the situation hasn't changed at all. When PHY and LJH talked through the talkie-walkie, the buglaries case wasn't solved. After the intervention of LJH, it is considered as solved, as they arrested and convicted Oh Kyung Tae. But I think, they arrested the wrong person. That's why there was another connection. As long as the case isn't correctly solved in the past (f. ex. LJH found out the murderer of these women and intervened), they will have transmissions. That's why the transmissions are not regular. They happen as soon as LJH is investigating a case that will be considered as unsolved. 

To conclude: 

- They can only solve cases which LJH was investigating but became unsolved crimes! 

- I believe, the reason for the transmissions between LJH and PHY is his death! Since LJH is missing, he is also a cold case. So the main purpose for those transmissions is to help PHY to find his body or to solve his case. He will bring closure to CHS as she can't move on with her life. She is still caught in the past.

- Although an innocent victim died due to the collapsing of the bridge, the real purpose for the transmissions is to find the culprit! Give the victims' relatives a closure. We heard many time from CHS that cold cases are so hard on the victims' families because they have no answer to the crimes (why?).

Secondly, I would like to talk about the buglaries' case: Just like in the second case (Gyeonggi serial murders), the buglaries suddendly stopped. Since both cases share that similarity, it means that something must have happened after the last theft! We know, in the G. serial murders, it was LJH who intervened and injured the criminal so that he would stop! But here, we still don't know why. There are two possibilities:

- Either the criminal was found out, but the police decided to cover it up (corruption!!)

- or LJH discovered him and stopped him again!

Honestly, I would prefer the first solution. Let's talk about the profile of the buglar: the person is an amateur, but knows a lot about the security systems which implies the criminal is someone who lives among the riches!

I believe, the kidnapped daughter is the real criminal. Maybe she got caught and on her way to the police station, she witnessed the collapsing of the bridge! If we look how LJH arrested Oh Kuyng Taek, he was alone with himin his car!! IT seems to me that his arrest wasn't official. Therefore I come to the conclusion, he had no idea that someone else had already been caught. 

But since the "young girl/woman" was the daughter of a wealthy and powerful CEO, her father paid so that she wouldn't be convicted. They heard about LJH's move (arresting OHT) and decided to put the blame on OHT with the finger print. Like I said, someone from the police forces must have been paid for falsify the evidence! LJH will discover it later! I remember him punching someone at the police station (his coworker!). Since LJH had mentioned about searching for evidences on mailboxes, dustbin aso, his coworker came to the idea to use it against OKT!

But in prison, he must have heard about the falsification and the involvement of the CEO's daughter. Therefore he kidnapped her and put a fingerprint on the mirror as a revenge sign!! That's why there will be no ransom's demand! We saw, he put the girl into the cold storage. Since his daughter burnt, she must suffer the opposite of her daughter's pain!

So LJH's task will be to discover the falsification of the evidence or at least to create evidences for PHY so that PHY can use it to prosecute in his time that daughter for the buglaries! 

I also think, PHY and LJH share something in common: they care very deeply for the victims and they don't have a high regard for their fellows from the police! Like PHY said, they never listened! When he was young and tried to help in the kidnapping case and even now, when he tried to tell them about the reason for the kidnapping! When there was the briefing, it was never about the victim, but more we have to arrest the criminal! Many policemen want to catch someone so that this can look good on their resume! PHY was trying to tell them, the kidnapped person was in danger but they never allowed him to speak to the end! They are blind and death due to their ambitions and greeds! LJH is a different policeman. He cries a lot for the victims, shares their pain! He doesn't care for his career therefore he was arrested and he must have had trouble in his career. At some point, this is the reason why Ahn and Kim will get rid of him! He will investigate his colleagues (f. ex. falsification of evidences and corruption) that he will become a thread to them!  

What do you think? This is adressed to all the followers, like @kyunii88 @40somethingahjumma @evie7 @NRGchick @drynase @Ginaaaa... sorry if I didn't mention all the followers! I am curious about your answers!!

@tw20127 Funny that you wrote something similar, while I was busy writing my long post too!! writer pink mouse

Yes, to me, the female professor is the real thief and her disease is not just PTD, she is feeling so guilty that the death of so many people in the bus was the reason she wasn't convicted! Since OKT was in prison, he must have heard about the involvement of the police!!

Awesomesauce! I just finished episode 5 subbed and episode 6 raw is gonna be livestream in about 30 minutes. 

I love the female detective Cha Soo Huyn <3 I've always have a soft spot for badass female character. Her mom keeps giving her pink stuffs probably hoping the daughter would be more feminine hahaha her entire room was pink! And man, I really hope Cha Soo Hyun will have some closure in the end, she's really in deep love with Lee Jae Han, unable to get into new relationship for so many years (and is still single now). Ideally I'd love to see them being together, but so far all clues are pointing at CSH's one sided love, not sure how LJH feels about her. 

Although I am so annoyed with the older higher rank cops, and I am on PHY's side but I agree completely with CSH. Yelling out the case's questions like that really won't do him any good, he cannot get them to listen and the case will be dragged on. PHY is talented but he is still young and inexperience with communication, and I'm so glad there's CSH that will help him through this. You need to be sneaky in a clever way with the higher corrupted cops.
I also understand why PHY feel the need to keep his transmission with LJH as a secrets because right now he highly suspicious of some kind of corruption going on in the police. I really do hope he will get his trust in CSH soon and share it with her. PHY is all talented but he really needs some team work for the bigger things to get done, he cannot solve everything by himself.

I'm pretty sure the motive of this kidnap was for revenge. 

THIS DRAMA IS SO FREAKING AWESOME!! :grin:

More stuffs I need to put out there:

I asked my Korean friends and learn that the collapse of the Hanyoung brigde was a real accident in Korea (they changed the brigde name for fictional purpose, the real bridge has a different name, and it collapsed in 1994 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seongsu_Bridge )
So I'm sure the two events are separated and not a consequence of each other. The real consequence is, because of the arrest, the daughter took the bus to follow the dad and she runs into the accident. Ok, that's very disturbing :( 

15 minutes ago, missyeun said:

God, Episode 4 had me bawling like a baby, for the Mum, the daughter, Soo-hyun and of course Jae-han stuck in the past :(
I too am wondering how many times this cycle has repeated and if there is a set number of repeats before Jae-han or Hae-young dies?

Is there a rule with altering the past through the transmissions, in order to save a life, someone must die. I mean death can’t be cheated or avoided?
With regards to that scene in 1989 where Jae-han is ambushed and injured, who calls him out to the hospital? Is it Hae-yang who warns him not to go, or is it a plot by the police director/chief who wants him gone?

Chat with other Signal lovers on Gabber! http://bit.ly/20yE40L

Signal04-00545.jpg

Sorry, but I must correct you! When LJH visits the abandoned hospital, it happens in 2000 with the kidnapping case! It was PHY who gave him the info and LJH had written it on a small piece of paper sellotaped on his computer screen where any colleague could see it! That's how he was ambushed! Someone from the police followed him and sequestred him! When he called PHY for the second time, it was one day later it was that night LJH was shot. So between getting hit and shot, there is a time gap hence I believe he was abducted and tied up, until all the evidences were created to make him a bad, corrupted cop! But he managed to flee and have a last transmission with PHY who became a witness for his murder! 

Hello guys. I just watched the episode. I think the daughter got kidnapped because her father is the CEO of Yangwoon contruction. Her father could've been responsible for building the bridge. The daughter might've been kidnapped because Kyung Tae has grudges against the people responsible for his daughter's death. It's possible that Kyung Tae is the culprit for the previous crimes. But he has a different motive for kidnapping the daughter. Although I'm not sure why the daughter was present at the bridge accident.

How many episodes for Signal? Anyone know? :) 

Preview for episode 7

It seems PHY will dig deeper and deeper into the corruption issue = more frustration and covers up, more shades. I'm sure we will see plenty of times the bad guys are winning and overpower the good ones. Aah.. I hate the feeling but we need to endure rain to see rainbow >_< 

Also, they manage to make every episode trailer look like a movie trailer! Kudos to the team.

15 minutes ago, drynase said:

If you want to know what happened on today's episode, tvN just uploaded some clips on their official youtube. I wouldnt be talking much since we all have mistaken about the culprit. Totally unexpected twist. 

I haven't watched the episode 6 yet, but I have been thinking that maybe the daughter wasn't the culprit, but her father! This idea came to my mind because of @Cloudprince's remark about the CEO. The buglaries might have been connected to the construction of the bridge, they needed to make papers disappeared in order to hide the misconstruction of the bridge! Since his daughter died because of that bridge and the CEO was responsible for that, OKT decided to kidnapp and kill his daughter: eye for an eye justice ! However, the daughter was at the bridge and witnessed the collapse therefore she suffered from PTD, yet OKT doesn't know about it! 

just watched ep5 and i just wan to hug LJH!!! he lost his would be GF in 1989 and now witnessed the death of a "niece". kudos to JJW!

totally agree with all the comments about how the kidnapped gal could be very likely to be the criminal for 1995 burglary or her dad company has links to construction of the bridge. just as PHY said "the motive is different now".

so tempted to watch ep6 raw.  Signal is really making full use of every min of each ep! kudos to Signal cast and crew!

Archived