[Drama 2016] Signal 시그널

larus

@eunsuhae The reason the taser could not be used during LJH's timeline was because DNA profiling did not exist then... so whatever DNA was on the taser, could not be conclusively tied back to the victim and the murderer. However you are right. If PHY had told LJH that JKS was an eyewitness and had the taser in her possession, perhaps he could have used her testimony against Lee Jin Hyung... but that again would have been dependent on JKS' cooperation and the ability to find the location of the taser during that timeline. As for JKS' ability to use it as leverage for blackmail, my thinking is that it has more to do with the threat of going to the police with her eyewitness account, supported by the taser, which, as we saw, have left a mark on Lee Jin Hyung.

The behaviour of each timeline and how they correspond to each other is still a mystery to me. On the one hand, it appears to be a time loop... with LJH of 2000 already knowing of PHY in the past even though that was PHY's first communication with him. On the other hand, we see them progressing in parallel in LJH's 1989 timeline during the investigation all the way to the conclusion of that case. And then, what little we see of the preview shows there was a time jump of 6 years in LJH's timeline in their next transmission. So how exactly does it work? Do these transmissions only begin when they have a common case to solve, and jumps to the next timeline when it is over? Is PHY's timeline the only one that is moving forward, while LJH's will always be a random jump between 1989 and 2000? Questions questions.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you @kaqueski & @liddi I guess that is the most plausible explanation. It was more about the threat and the existence of an eye-witness than the "evidence" itself.

And now that @liddi mentions it, could PHY have saved the witness/blackmailer had he told LJH about her? Even if they couldn't catch the killer, maybe there could be one victim less at least.

Out of the new crime dramas this year, this one is my favorite and the one that I can't wait for each week! 

I very much enjoy the acting of Park Hae Young, an actor that I have not watched before! Also, this butterfly effect of events is very interesting! 

Here are more of my first impressions and thoughts about this drama: https://picadrama.wordpress.com/2016/02/03/signal-the-butterfly-effect/

5 hours ago, eunsuhae said:

And now that @liddi mentions it, could PHY have saved the witness/blackmailer had he told LJH about her? Even if they couldn't catch the killer, maybe there could be one victim less at least.

@eunsuhae I may be wrong, but I do not think the total number of victims will ever change, whatever else they do. In the original timeline for the Gyeonggi Nambu serial murders, there were 11 victims - 10 women and an unborn child. In the new reality, there were still 11 victims - 9 women + the innocent bystander + JKS. So does it mean the laws of this universe dictates that that fate will claim that many victims, no matter what, and that their role in "tampering" with it is ultimately with the purpose of bringing the perpetrators to justice, and closure to the victims' families and loved ones? From what I see, the very last crime they (or PHY) try to prevent will be LJH's death. If that were the case, does it then mean that LJH dies no matter what, but this essentially is meant to bring closure to his bereaved father and the woman who has faithfully loved him for 15 years? I truly dread it if this were true, but from what we have seen so far, I trust KEH and PD-nim to bring us to a satisfying conclusion, even if it tramples all over our hearts in the end.

Signal: Episode 4

by HeadsNo2 | February 3, 2016 | 37 Comments

Signal04-00429.jpg

The past begins to interweave with the present to the point where it’s hard to tell which came first—and if that sounds crazy, it’s because it is. Crazy good, that is. Aside from the truly stellar acting, Signal benefits most from its deft directing hand, which helps to heighten the tension at just the right moments and let it rest in others. There’s never a stale moment because there’s never a stale shot, or is it that there’s never a stale shot because there’s never a stale moment? Whatever, this show is awesome.

Read more http://www.dramabeans.com/2016/02/signal-episode-4/

February 4, 2016

Lee Je-hoon hands out coffee to 300 policemen

(tvN)

Actor Lee-Je Hoon handed out 300 cups of hot coffee to policemen working on the streets, according to tvN‘s official Facebook account. 

Back in 2015, Lee promised the public that he would do such an act if the TV drama series “Signal” surpasses a certain amount of viewers. 

As it reached more than double the expected number, Lee fully kept his promised. 

On Wednesday, Lee went out to the streets and provided a hot cup of Americano to many police officers who were working hard in the icy winter weather.

(tvN)

In the photo released through tvN’s Facebook, Lee is giving coffee to an officer who was directing traffic on the streets.

According to media outlets, Lee put on a smile and actively handed out the drinks, presumably as he took on the role of a police lieutenant from the drama series.

By Kim Ji-young (christinekim@heraldcorp.com)

On 2.2.2016 at 11:17 PM, liddi said:

@Ginaaaa As a single parent to what was a sickly and lonely child, LCG lives with the mentality of having to always shield his son. As for empathy, I do feel some measure of it, in the sense of understanding from the point of view of a parent whose child is in trouble, and tries desperately to help him in any way he can. Unfortunately he took it to extremes, to the point where he justifies his son's evil actions by alluding to his sad childhood and keeps him from getting caught, rather than trying to get him help. Do we know if he knew that his son was the murderer of the first 8 victims? Certainly he already knew when he found Hwang Min Joo.

I see it differently, @bebebisous33... I don't believe he was trying to give his son time to kill KWK by misdirecting LJH... rather while looking for his son, he bumped into LJH, then tried to prevent his son from getting caught by LJH by sending the latter on a wild goose chase. Ultimately, to me, LCG's worst mistake is that while he is horrified by his son's deeds, he could not, would not exercise the tough love that was so crucial to put a stop to him, allowing pity and indulgence to rule his decisions, at the cost of 11 lives. 

I believe, you misunderstood me! What you wrote is what I meant. Nonetheless he is responsible for the killing of the last victim because he sent LJH in the other direction. His goal was to protect his son first. He never spent one thought about the victim! His son meant the world to him and he couldn't accept that his son would get caught! And even years later, he only thought of his son. When PYH confronted him with the pictures of the victims, he couldn't look at these. In his head, they were only names! He never wanted to see them as human beings! 

@bebebisous33 My apologies for misunderstanding you... glad that we were on the same page after all :) It is true.. LCG lived and continues to live in denial about the monster his son is, choosing to focus only on how pitiable he perceives his son to be. I initially thought that being confronted with the photos of his son's victims might snap him out of his self-delusion. However, perhaps not... after all, he was the one who discovered Hwang Min Joo's body, and he too replicated the same M.O. when he killed JKS. And in doing so, his love for his son has perhaps desensitised him to the extent where it made him to be almost as much a monster as his son too. 

16 hours ago, liddi said:

@eunsuhae I may be wrong, but I do not think the total number of victims will ever change, whatever else they do. In the original timeline for the Gyeonggi Nambu serial murders, there were 11 victims - 10 women and an unborn child. In the new reality, there were still 11 victims - 9 women + the innocent bystander + JKS. So does it mean the laws of this universe dictates that that fate will claim that many victims, no matter what, and that their role in "tampering" with it is ultimately with the purpose of bringing the perpetrators to justice, and closure to the victims' families and loved ones? From what I see, the very last crime they (or PHY) try to prevent will be LJH's death. If that were the case, does it then mean that LJH dies no matter what, but this essentially is meant to bring closure to his bereaved father and the woman who has faithfully loved him for 15 years? I truly dread it if this were true, but from what we have seen so far, I trust KEH and PD-nim to bring us to a satisfying conclusion, even if it tramples all over our hearts in the end.

ooooh, that's a very interesting thought. So IF they manage to save LJH from dying in 2005 (pulling the year from my very imperfect memory) and IF your supposition is correct, someone else dies that didn't in the original timeline, back in 2005. hmmmmmmm ... almost time for the next episode!

Its kinda too late to share my opinion for the first 4 eps. So i just want to say briefly. As always as expected, Kim eun hee's dramas never disappoint me. Altough the timelines kinda confusing for me, the story just so so brilliant. At first, i think it looks like "reply series", after R88 now "Reply 1989" :P. And talking about rating, Wow.... Its more than public channel rating so I guess SBS drama department has headache now for letting Signal went to TVN :P:sweatingbullets:. And I realized there is a permanent and loyal actor for Kim eun hee's drama - Jang hyung sung ahjussi - The police chief. He makes appereance on Sign, Ghost, 3 Days and now Signal. But i always hate him, like now - The corupt cop. Ahh.. I found working as Criminal Psycologist is interesting job, you have ability to read someone's mind and habits. And im glad after having Professor Bo now i have Professor Park :blush:

Now lets talk about the story. To be honest, i cant say a lot about the story. Im trying to understand but still confused like a hell :sweatingbullets::sweatingbullets: I am still not sure whether LJH died or not (Or is it already confirmed? I hope i dont miss a thing. But for now, i presume he just missing until now (2016)). If it was this case, then why  he was missing? Why he was discharged from police department? What had happened with PHY's family esp his brother? A lot of questions, but its okay because thats the way it is and i believe on the writer skill. The next episodes look more interesting, PHY said it was a mistake regarding their "magic communication", i feel something going wrong. Cant wait for friday :):):)

1 hour ago, Ginaaaa said:

ooooh, that's a very interesting thought. So IF they manage to save LJH from dying in 2005 (pulling the year from my very imperfect memory) and IF your supposition is correct, someone else dies that didn't in the original timeline, back in 2005. hmmmmmmm ... almost time for the next episode!

LJH died or disappeared in 2001!

I finally caught up with Signal, after putting it behind as I didn't know whether I wanted to watch it or not even though there hasn't been any good detective dramas in Korea recently, and my gosh am I glad I decided to watch it in the end...!!! It's amazing!! The fast paced story and how they interlinked the past with the present so smoothly...!!! Can't wait for this week's episode!!! 

However, watching this made me wonder... Will Hae Young finally tell anyone in the present times about the radio transmission? Will Jae Han still die at the end of the series? How big of a change will both of these people create due to the radio transmission? Will the cold case team be fine after that fiasco during the presentation by the chief police? Or are they going to meet more resistance from their co-workers and the chief? (have I said how much I hate their superior & police chief??? I HATE THEM!! How in the world are they policemen?!?!!? Don't they feel uncomfortable blaming people as suspects, even though they're innocent??? And trying to get rid of the cold case team, even though we can see from their superior's face how he doesn't really agree with the police chief.... Makes me wonder whether the superior will incur a change of heart in the episodes to come and finally help (and not disturb) the cold case team's work, even knowing that doing so will incur the wrath of the police chief...?) 

All in all... Can't wait for episodes 5 & 6 to air!!! Btw... Can anyone confirm whether episode 5 & 6 will air this weekend? Because I know that some dramas are not airing due to the Lunar New Year... Will episode 5 & 6 air this weekend? Thanks beforehand!! 

@gracebkk Nice to meet you here again!!

I really dislike Kim Bum Joo, because he has revealed how greedy and ambitious he is! He only cares for his career! As for Ahn Chi Soo, I judge him a little differently. Sure, he was supporting Kim Bum Soo in the past (2000, with the kidnapping), but yet I have the impression, he has changed, but he can't show it! We saw that he wanted the nurse Yoo to confess (he showed empathy, emotions). Moreover, he was punished as much as the others (PHY, CSH aso) for resolving the kidnapping case. I believe, he wants to uncover the truth! To me, he appears more grey than totally evil, like his superior KBS!

1 hour ago, gracebkk said:

All in all... Can't wait for episodes 5 & 6 to air!!! Btw... Can anyone confirm whether episode 5 & 6 will air this weekend? Because I know that some dramas are not airing due to the Lunar New Year... Will episode 5 & 6 air this weekend? Thanks beforehand!! 

Yessssss episode 5,6 will be air on Friday and Saturday (which is TOMORROW from my timeline). 

Not sure about next week though, but it should be as normal because lunar new year last officially 4 days (7-10/2)

Still

76333758.2.jpg

OST Part 2 will be released today. The remake song will be entitled  떠나야 할 그 사람 and sung by rookie grup (?) named Ingki (?).I know Inki means popular in korean so I tried to search through korean searching site but nothing accurate so far.

image_readtop_2016_104307_14546361712349

This is the original song

Lee Je Hoon visits a police office to fulfill his pledge

Lee Je Hoon visited a police office to fulfill his pledge.

Actor Lee Je Hoon is playing in tvN drama 'Signal' recently, and he visited a police office to fulfill his pledge. Prior to the drama's premiere, Lee Je Hoon had promised that he will treat 300 police officers coffee if the viewer ratings exceed 3%.

The first episode achieved average viewer ratings of 6.3%, and third episode achieved average viewer ratings of 8.4%.

With assistance of Seoul Police Department, Lee Je Hoon visited Seoul Regional Police Office, Mapo Police Department, and Youngdeungpo Police Department to treat coffee to police officers. Lee Je Hoon is playing in 'Signal' as a profiler named Park Hae Young, and Lee decided to treat coffee to police officers to express his appreciation for their work and efforts.

After fulfilling his pledge, Lee Je Hoon said, "I felt very proud of myself while treating the officers coffee. I am also very proud to have them in our society, and I will always give my full supports for them."

Meanwhile, 'Signal' evolves around an old and a young detectives that collaborate with each other to solve a msyerious case. The drama airs on every Friday and Saturday at 8:30 PM.

Lee Je Hoon visits a police office to fulfill his pledge

/Reporting by Kim Dong-Joo en@starnnews.com

http://starn.hankyung.com/global/en/news/index.html?no=432843

HE DID WELL...THIS HELP HIM UNDERSTAND HIS CHARACTER...HIS WORK ...HIS WORLD...

Ah it's finally friday and we're lucky our show doesn't clash with the lunar year festivities so double yay :D

EDIT : Even in the OST, there's a recurrent theme about persons that left or have to leave, I'm afraid the drama will stick with it to the end. It makes my heart heavy T_T

@bebebisous33,   @liddi    I agree with you that the bus driver is guilty in sending LJH in the opposite direction. Regardless of his reasons (most likely I agree, that he did not want LJH to find his son the killer), but he essentially became an accessory to murder, by aiding the murderer. At that moment, KHK was still alive.

I am still confused about the scar on the murderer. I somehow managed to miss how Detective Cha knew to look for it.

@drynase, enjoy "Nine"  :)

I think one of the points we see in this drama so far, that there is no light without a shadow. The same episode we saw that intended victiim #8 was pregnant, and by saving her, 2 lives were saved, is also the episode we witnessed the heart wrenching grief because of KHK's murder.

I was up, so watched ep. 5 live.  Another powerful episode! I will not post any spoilers, but one of the things that came to mind is that the walkie talkie essentially has a life of it's own.  Conversations between PHY and LJH cannot be initiated by either one of them, until the walkie talkie "comes to life."

12688144_10207268277319676_3392535947459

I am officially in love with Jo Jin-Woong. I have only seen him in action roles until now; I have never seen him in such an emotional role. If anyone did, please share with us.

12647330_10207268293840089_8312210626429

12631389_10207268296160147_7423404171002

@irilight The scar of the murderer was caused by the victim KW who used it to defend herself with the tazer. When Cha and PHY looked into the belongings of the victim (witness who blackmailed the father),, they found the tazer! The tazer provoked that wound! Since the son couldn't go to the hospital because they would have asked him how it got this wound, he didn't treat his wound therefore he had a scar. so when PHY found the tazer, he realised that there was a possibiblity of tracing the murderer to the murder of KW! He looked for any injury left by the tazer!

Archived