[Drama 2016] Signal 시그널

larus

I've really been looking forward to watching this series.... I love police procedurals, and this sounded really intriguing. I also hoped tvN could deliver with the quality drama paired with the time "slip". 

I'm finally marathoning it... and I don't think I accounted for the amount of frustration I would be experiencing. I think most other cold case stories I've watched dealt mostly with just the case itself and perhaps the victims' unwillingness to remember... or the competition between departments and jurisdictions. This series elevates all of that, though... especially with the stance of "saving face." The personal stakes wrench at me and the sense of urgency has me yelling at my TV... (I was yelling, "NOOOOOOOOOOOO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" at the end of Episode 3, and was relieved to find that Episode 4 was available. :x There's also "Don't turn your back!' "He's the killer, he's the killer, OMG!!!")

It keeps making me think, though...

if Jin Hyung were your son, would you do what Chun Goo did? Or would you turn them in? I'm glad not to be in that situation... but I wonder which parent I would be.. and which parent most people would be... for one crime, even.. if not for a serial case. I am definitely with Park Hae Young, though... The families of the victims deserve to know.....

Based on the time frame, it looks like Park Hae Young will know Lee Jae Han throughout his whole career... I wonder how long they can keep up with never naming Lee Jae Han in front of each other, though? How long before Detective Cha is let in on the secret? Or let in on the fact that Park Hae Young may "somehow" know him....

Sorry for the scattered thoughts. I needed to post before sleep. :o

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys,have been watching this show for some time,but first time posting on this thread.I don't know if this has been mentioned before,but I am a bit confused over the time paradox.We know that future Jae Han had conversation with Hae young on 2000,which for HY was the first time.But for JH it was the last [?] time that he was talking to HY.After that,for HY it was forward in time,but for JH it was backward,so the second time/next time he had those radio transmissions was on '89,and going by this equation,the third transmission should have been some time back,in 88/80-ish,but no drama is not going that route anymore,rather in '89,we see the next murders are taking place in sequence.I am not sure if I'm being articulate enough,but the time jumps are not maintaining any specific order.For HY the order is quite linear,and it's going forward in time,but for JH first it was future[2000]< then past[1989]< then future[forward in time] again.

‘Signal’ Starts With A ‘Real-Life’ Love Triangle

Lee Je Hoon

(Photo : Signal)
At the beginning of the time travel detective thriller "Signal," Lee Je Hoon is trying to make a little cash on the side. As a policeman he should not really be digging through other people's trash but he digs so he can sell celebrity information to the tabloids.
Read more http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/113292/20160201/signal-starts-with-a-real-life-love-triangle.htm

3 hours ago, andy78 said:

I confess I giggled when I saw the article's title. I commented the correction and hopefully they won't mind.

I'm not sure how other English speaking countries use the word balling, but here in the US it doesn't mean crying one's eyes out ("bawling") but has a number of meanings, one of which is not .... ummmm .... polite. :lol:

Lol kdramastars is biased! Since the sub is out pretty fast dramabeans takes a longer time to recap a whole episode, ya?

I assume why the first transmission happened in 2005 because it was also the first time for Park Hae Young but nearly the end for Lee Jae Han. They had to back in 1989 because it was Lee Jae Han's order before the statute of limitations over.

Coincidentally, Park Hae Young also has cold cases to be handled this time so his help is a big deal for him.

Both Lee Jae Han dan Park Hae Young have similar personality. They'd rather work individually than be in a team. We dont know whether Lee Jae Han wants Park Hae Young revealing how richard simmons their workmates (especially the superintendent) or the writer puts makjang relatives later on. 

It seems so real to be a fantasy right? 

Just finished ep3-4 and whoa..what I can say, it's getting better and better! I'm still amazed on how they put everything together.. It's so addicting...I am really hoping they continue this til the end..

anyway just want to highlight some things..

- I love how they characterize LJH, he's indeed a human after all, I mean in this scene:

sVVtEIA.pngufUMx7O.pngCRTOqU1.png

when he let go of the JinHyung's(the killer) hands.. I was surprised...if this is from a typical kdrama, we probably won't get such scene  (they'd probably highlight the heroism of the actor instead of keeping it more real). I'm NOT saying that what LJH did was the right thing to do but if you'd put yourself in his place, what will you do? Maybe other people do have the courage to save that guy but if you were to ask me, I think I'll just do exactly what LJH did. The anger that LJH showed to us felt so real to me.

11:23PM

- Correct me if I'm wrong, but during the time when PHY contacted LJH if he was able to save WonKyung, it was daytime on LJH's timeline.. Does it mean that 11:23PM applies only to PHY's timeline? I was under the impression of parallel timeline on the first two eps, but that scene changed everything.

Jin-Woong's acting

- Jin woong's acting was so on-point. I'm not really familiar of him, I think I have only watched him in Beyond the Clouds before but since he's playing the semi-villain guy I didn't pay that much attention to him.. Oh pabu me, lol! I've never thought he'd be this talented! Amazing! Just like everyone in here, I was bawling my heart out on the cinema scene..it breaks my heart...sigh...if only..if only...if only...:bawling:

Some side notes: @irilight I was such a huge fan of Nine too, and this drama just brings out all the memories I have for that drama.. though I might say Signal is very different in a whole new level.. Funny how the name of PHY's brother is Park Sun Woo which happens to be the name of the lead character in Nine..hehe!

P.S. Since I'm such a sucker of instrumental OST, does anyone knows what's the title of the insturmental sad OST? They usually plays it on sad/lonely moments..Thank in advance!

So much has already been expressed here so eloquently, and I truly love reading each and everyone of them... thank you all.

This week, we break away from the frenetic pace and take the time to properly pay homage to the emotional arc, indeed the core of any case - the people, both victims and perpetrators alike - and the ones who loved and still love them even today. When the dust has cleared from all the adrenalin rush, sensationalism and frenzy, these are the ones who remain, long after everyone else has forgotten... long after the victims have, as LJH bitterly pointed out, become merely another statistic. And how beautifully and sensitively this was addressed in what may perhaps be a more sedate two episodes, yet just as, if not even more powerful compared to its predecessors.

Throughout the entire drama, we have been so focused on the unmasking and apprehension of the murderer... that in many ways, I for one, became just as guilty in having dehumanised those who fell prey to him, relegating them to a series of horrific cases to be solved... forgetting that they were once a living, breathing person who had her own hopes, dreams, fears and yearnings. Finally, in this latest episode, we are reminded once more of who they were... as PHY named and described each and every one of the victims to LCG, bringing home what his son violently robbed from them... just as we are made to see on a personal level what Kim Won Kyung meant to those who loved her.

Similarly, we get to see the other side of the coin, and how the perpetrator's deeds impact his family. While not condoning his decisions, I definitely feel some form of empathy for LCG despite his blind refusal to see his son for what he really is. Here is a desperate father whose love and guilt for his son drove him to bury the terrible deeds his son committed, then when caught in the headlights, did all he could to shift the blame to himself and pay the consequences with his own life. Ultimately though, like his son, he displayed the same blatant disregard for the worth of anyone else's life when weighed against his son's survival and well-being, and as such, any sympathy for him swiftly pales.

Standout moments... this week well and truly belongs to JJW. That scene at the cinema in particular just kills me... just as much as he makes me smile with his goofiness in front of his lady love. The cold realisation that LJH will continue to kill and that split second decision to drop him from the roof - certainly with the intention not just to maim, but to kill... for that was the only way he knew to stop the evil from continuing. In that moment, he reminds me of Gil Soo Hyun in Missing Noir M, taking the law into his own hands, no longer believing justice would ever be meted out. The quiet resignation when he realises that he could never pin the crime on the murderer in his timeline, and justice and closure could only well and truly be served 26 years down the road, the only cold comfort being that he was the one who provided those in the future the means to do so. 

In these 4 episodes, this drama has maintained a perfect balance between the horror of the crimes, and the lives affected by them. As viewers, we come away, as much stimulated by the narrative arc, and as we are subdued by emotions that hit way too close to home. Truly a testament to just how good this drama is... and I can't wait to be brought on yet another amazing journey. Is it Friday already?

14 hours ago, drynase said:

@plappi I simply want to say I love you more than I love Lee Jehoon. Thanks for sharing the gifs. You really made my day.

I am very pleased ))) But I just love to watch gif and I like to share to all what i found ))) 

2 hours ago, liddi said:

Similarly, we get to see the other side of the coin, and how the perpetrator's deeds impact his family. While not condoning his decisions, I definitely feel some form of empathy for LCG despite his blind refusal to see his son for what he really is. Here is a desperate father whose love and guilt for his son drove him to bury the terrible deeds his son committed, then when caught in the headlights, did all he could to shift the blame to himself and pay the consequences with his own life. Ultimately though, like his son, he displayed the same blatant disregard for the worth of anyone else's life when weighed against his son's survival and well-being, and as such, any sympathy for him swiftly pales.

I seriously tried to feel empathy for LCG ... and when he pointed the direction to JJW to find the body of WK's body I saw redemption in him, but that all got blown away 25 years later when he had the interview with PHY. I could not believe he felt his son already "paid" for his crimes. Honestly, if one of my children turned out to be a psychopath, I doubt I would try to protect them from the consequences of their crimes. I couldn't live with myself. LCG is not a psychopath himself, but he is really bent.

1 hour ago, Ginaaaa said:

I seriously tried to feel empathy for LCG ... and when he pointed the direction to JJW to find the body of WK's body I saw redemption in him, but that all got blown away 25 years later when he had the interview with PHY. I could not believe he felt his son already "paid" for his crimes. Honestly, if one of my children turned out to be a psychopath, I doubt I would try to protect them from the consequences of their crimes. I couldn't live with myself. LCG is not a psychopath himself, but he is really bent.

No, you're wrong. He sent LJH in the other direction so that his son had the time to kill WK! The witness saw him sending LJH to a certain direction and she heard the scream and went there and actually witnessed the murder!!! So in WK's case, she could have been saved if the father and the witness had acted differently.

I really condem this woman who blackmailed LCG for so many years!! she was greedy and never felt empathy for the victim. She took profit from it! As for the father, I can't accept his behaviour as well. If my son does something, he will get scolded. Just because he had lost his mother, the father allowed his son to do what he wanted!

@Ginaaaa As a single parent to what was a sickly and lonely child, LCG lives with the mentality of having to always shield his son. As for empathy, I do feel some measure of it, in the sense of understanding from the point of view of a parent whose child is in trouble, and tries desperately to help him in any way he can. Unfortunately he took it to extremes, to the point where he justifies his son's evil actions by alluding to his sad childhood and keeps him from getting caught, rather than trying to get him help. Do we know if he knew that his son was the murderer of the first 8 victims? Certainly he already knew when he found Hwang Min Joo.

I see it differently, @bebebisous33... I don't believe he was trying to give his son time to kill KWK by misdirecting LJH... rather while looking for his son, he bumped into LJH, then tried to prevent his son from getting caught by LJH by sending the latter on a wild goose chase. Ultimately, to me, LCG's worst mistake is that while he is horrified by his son's deeds, he could not, would not exercise the tough love that was so crucial to put a stop to him, allowing pity and indulgence to rule his decisions, at the cost of 11 lives. 

3 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

No, you're wrong. He sent LJH in the other direction so that his son had the time to kill WK! The witness saw him sending LJH to a certain direction and she heard the scream and went there and actually witnessed the murder!!! So in WK's case, she could have been saved if the father and the witness had acted differently.

I really condem this woman who blackmailed LCG for so many years!! she was greedy and never felt empathy for the victim. She took profit from it! As for the father, I can't accept his behaviour as well. If my son does something, he will get scolded. Just because he had lost his mother, the father allowed his son to do what he wanted!

Ah...thank you for the correction. In that case, I feel no empathy for the character. I think I need to start watching these shows twice to catch the things I miss!

Parenting is not easy, even with two people committed to the raising. We had our own "Tough Love" teenager who gave us grief for several years. Thankfully we availed ourselves to all the help we could get and we survived. And our teen grew into a wonderful young man who is responsible and a good family man.

A parent intuitively knows (for the most part) when something is not right with their child. And I'm realizing that maybe I shouldn't judge this character because I have no idea what sort of society 1989 Korea would have been. Did the average guy on the street know about psychopathy? Did the average parent know about the signals that something is seriously wrong? Thinking about LCG, is he a sociopath himself and therefore did nothing to stop his son? Or was it a morbid case of co-dependence?

well.. many comments on the actions of LJH.
I think LJH gone to the revenge. but he changed his opinion n LJH has urged his father to surrender.
but selfish father of murderer said: "We killed all the witnesses already."
LJH stood at the crossroads of choice instantly.
he can not arrest the murderer. but he also can not let the murderer is walking the streets.
eventually, LJH was willing to quit their police. 
now murderer can not walk forever. therefore he can not forever kill anyone.
It was just a matter of choice. what's right is not important.

p.s)
We watched at the EP.4.
Murderer's selfish father, He repeated the wrong choice.
He hid again that the murderer of his son, n he killed a woman.

I notice there are 3 out of 30 trending articles from Ilgan Sport, Osen and Tv Report talking about Lee Jehoon's acting skill. The problem itself is his pronouncation which is for me its not a big deal. How could non-english speaker pronounce PROFILER with that tongue. I dont know about other else including law or police procedural dictionary but I understand well his korean. I might think the reporters themselves as antis lmao.

Note: I am watching Nine right now because of all of you :rolleyes:

In the middle of all your beautifully worded and insightful comments, here I come with a rather dumb question but it's been bugging me so here it is:

How come the taser was proof enough for the bus company employee to use it as blackmail material for years but not enough for LJH to use it as evidence to catch the killer?

Time slip physics and logic aside, do you guys think there's a bit of symbolism in the fact that the first (from PHY's POV) transmissions were the last in LHJ's timeline? We start with the ending then go back to the beginning. The more optimistic will see in it a hope, a chance to make a change and have a different outcome but for some reason, I feel it's rather ominous with a sense of fatality. So far, all they've managed to do is clear mysteries and catch killers and while this certainly brings some sort of closure and solace, can it really be considered a success if the murders keep happening anyway? The same goes for LJH's disappearance and PHY's brother, there is an air of mystery and a feeling of injustice surrounding their cases and I wonder what the show will opt for : take a more hopeful turn where victims start being saved or keep the same pattern and stay faithful to its gloomy atmosphere where you can't mess with "fate" without consequences and where the best our characters can hope for is find a way to understand the "why" and "how" with the result remaining the same anyway?

I guess I'll have my answers with the next episodes, can it be friday already?

37 minutes ago, eunsuhae said:

In the middle of all your beautifully worded and insightful comments, here I come with a rather dumb question but it's been bugging me so here it is:

How come the taser was proof enough for the bus company employee to use it as blackmail material for years but not enough for LJH to use it as evidence to catch the killer?

When LJH asked PHY about the evidence because he wants to find it and catch the culprit right then, PHY hesitated a bit then tell him that it's not possible in his time, because there were no DNA identifying technology in the 80s. When the employee starts blackmailing the father, i don't think the father know exactly what that evidence was, he was being paranoid because he knows his son indeed commit the crime. 

Archived