[Drama 2016] Signal 시그널

larus

33 minutes ago, drmjs said:

<truncated>

@40somethingahjumma Yeah, you brought up a logical point regarding the killer not changing his/her mo if they're doing things under the radar. But the criminal mind is not logical, to feed their psychoses, they stick to their old mo's like some badge of honor. It's like he was saying, "I'm back!" 

Spoiler

I thought they entertained an idea that the latest murder in present day was of a different killer? The knot was the same (and never made public), but the victim posing was done post-mortem unlike the ones in 1989.

I begin to understand the calls for LJH (PHY)'s stage acting. I had moments of frustration during his disbelief and expressing fear of insanity when he realised the communication was done across time. I think it's not so much about his acting but something to do with us, viewers, already knowing/informed about anomaly and he and LJH were playing catch up with it.    Good thing it didn't drag.

Just love Cha Soohyun's attitude, "why not try messing things up..."

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing that bugs me about these time-bending dramas .... the memories of the prior timeline before the change stays with the lead character(s) while to everyone else the transformed timeline is the only one that ever existed. Why? In the opening scene of Ep 3 how come PHY is still cognizant of the original timeline while his colleague isn't. Is it something about witnessing the transformation --- the changing pictures and writing on the white board --- that allows his brain to retain awareness of things that now never happened?

ETA: just talked to my Whovian husband but I seriously have no desire to watch 40+ years of Dr. Who (his suggestion) to understand the physics of time loops. LOL

Wow...just caught up with it now. Best 2 episode opening of a drama I have seen in ages...I haven't been immediately hooked into a drama like that for a long time. I hope they'll be able to keep this quality up! Especially love seeing the 1989 bits and Jo Jin Woong is awesome so is Kim Hye Soo. I think Lee Je Hoon's acting's good - no reason to get into an acting controversy whatsoever especially when there are so many bad actors out there. The first OST's sung by the guy from Busker Busker right? 

This drama is very interesting.
It has a 'Special Affairs Team TEN's feeling.(OCN's drama) n butterfly effect setting(Nine) n Ditto's medium(2000 year movie)
unique feeling that the past and future intersect, good writer, directer, OST, actor&actress.

If you do worry watching 'signal', just look. It is worth.

p.s)Writer has already completed the final script.

This content contains major spoiler! I went to tvN youtube and I got nothing but heart attack ;____;

Spoiler

At this point, I would like to trust whatever netizen said related to this drama. The murderer was actually the driver's son but in 2015 the driver himself killed the woman. I learnt that Lee Jae Han's love interest is actually actress Lee Si-a. Ah, nae saranga flew away~ I desperately want the subs.

201601302131777788_56acaf0908544_99_2016

1 hour ago, evergreen said:

The first OST's sung by the guy from Busker Busker right? 

CORRECT!!! ding dong dang

Just finished watching episode 4.

I already have a bad cold and after watching this, I got swollen eyes and clogged nose. It's been a while since I cried this much because of a kdrama. The acting is just on point so I can relate to what they are going through. The emotions are expressed so well that it reaches me from the screen. I just can't express how much I love Jo Jin Woong. It's unhealthy, guys. I was crying like a baby on his scene at the movie theater. Damn. Everyone's laughing and you're crying?! I'm crying too!

It's good that this is not the only case we will deal with in this drama because that's just overkill. I like how they presented the case (catching the killer and all that) and how technically, it was still Lee Jaehan who caught him and gave him the punishment. He knew that the culprit will eventually be found in the future. That's why he told his dad, "Even if it wasn't me, someone will catch the killer."

Ahhh, this is totally like peeling onions. There's a new layer to discover every time. And it makes you cry. (Yeah, I stole the quote from Sweden Laundry. lol)

Checking in. Finished ep 3 sub just now. I miss the scary thriller emotional ride of ep1. I do hope they bring that wow, I'm scare af factor....on me.  I'm not sure how others feel though. Having said that.. this is still awesome show. Crime procedural, profiler, criminal minds, cold cases, police politics, agency squabbling police and detectives  fighting who should be the ones to take over the case.

I like the part where LJH traced back the event when he was trying to catch the murderer from train tracks to the field to the alleyway neighborhood leading to to the bus route. It gave [me] a clear understanding of of the events. I am still baffled, by everything and as PHY said... "it doesn't make sense".

jonsgki is still somewhat confused.

I always though it was LJH giving out clues but when he was lacked in jail it was PHY doing so.  The killer of 1989 is still alive and started to kill again to prevent evidence.

I also like the dialogue part where PHY thinking what had become of the killer..if he's dead, if he's still around and will be doing the same, if he's someone just regular  and you wouldn't know it. I also like the part where PHY stood his ground to those guys taking over the case, and when he said he should also drop the honorifics and feeding spoon to his mouth...

Great acting JJW. Good acting of LJH KYS. These three are terrific actors. First few several pages of this this thread, I was asking are they the only main cast? I but watching this now it is just right with just the three of them and the other supporting cast.

I tried to watch premiere of this and it was raw so I didn't understand anything but it was exciting and amazing and as mentioned love the first episode hoping to get that aura again with coming episodes.

The last suspense thriller drama I've watch is LMIYD -just finished recently. Amazing brilliantly written. And though this one is different, it's awesome  too. Hoping it will give me that same wow feeling.

I finished ep. 3 with sub late last night/early this morning.  This show gets better and better. Now it has a flavor, not only of "Frequency" but also of "Nine: Nine Time Travel." (which is one of my favorite Kdrama. Certainly brilliantly written). Here too, brilliantly executed so far, with the time lines.

I love the twists... Now both PHY and LJH figured out that they are both from a different time zone, and how they can help each other hopefully save a life. But - we are warned - so far, the number of victims did not change, only the identity changed.

But too bad, LEJ did not realize it earlier.  He might have gone looking for the possible next victim (and might have saved her), rather than running upstairs to check if the fellow he arrested really died.  And what a turn of events that was! I had expected LEJ to become like a police officer hero because of the help he is getting from PHY. Instead he is like a cast off, and even became a suspect himself, and was locked up, and also suspended, at least temporarily.

PHY is actually very smart.

• He realized that LEJ is of he past
  • He realized that his team members have no knowledge of the change of events.
  • He realized that the number of victims remain the same.
  • He realized that the "hunting ground" of the killer changed.
  • He suspects that the reason is the new victims may have seen the killer's face.

CSH realized that all the victims took the bus. She and PHY are a good team together.  Oh. when she finds out who is the person he is talking to, in the past... goosebumps...

We saw that LEJ too, in the past thought there was a connection to the bus, and possibly the driver.

Puzzle: How is it that LEJ chased the possible murderer to the bus, but the bus driver said no one got on the bus at that HP station, on that day?

The last witness is now found dead. Why has the murderer stopped killing for 26 years?  The new victim, (in the present) the MO is the same; The knot (which had never been revealed to the public, is the same. BUT - In the past victims were tied first, then killed. This new victim was killed first, then tied. She was most likely killed because they started investigating again. Yet, she must have known the killer, because there is not sign of forced entry.

I loved that CSH decided they continue to investigate on their own the present time murder. She feels that if they catch the present time murderer, it will lead them to the past murderer.

The one thing that still puzzles me, is the very first time transmission between LEJ and PHY. LEJ was badly wounded and said it is probably his last transmission. I thought he was next to the manhole where they found the skeleton at the time. If so, how come they did not find that body in the past, when they found LEJ's body? And why did they not connect the first female killer to LEJ's death as well?  

20160130001333355_1.jpg

I'll catch up on your posts now.

44 minutes ago, irilight said:

But too bad, LEJ did not realize it earlier.  He might have gone looking for the possible next victim (and might have saved her), rather than running upstairs to check if the fellow he arrested really died.  And what a turn of events that was! I had expected LEJ to become like a police officer hero because of the help he is getting from PHY. Instead he is like a cast off, and even became a suspect himself, and was locked up, and also suspended, at least temporarily.

PHY is actually very smart.

• He realized that LEJ is of he past
  • He realized that his team members have no knowledge of the change of events.
  • He realized that the number of victims remain the same.
  • He realized that the "hunting ground" of the killer changed.
  • He suspects that the reason is the new victims may have seen the killer's face.

CSH realized that all the victims took the bus. She and PHY are a good team together.  Oh. when she finds out who is the person he is talking to, in the past... goosebumps...

We saw that LEJ too, in the past thought there was a connection to the bus, and possibly the driver.

Puzzle: How is it that LEJ chased the possible murderer to the bus, but the bus driver said no one got on the bus at that HP station, on that day?

The last witness is now found dead. Why has the murderer stopped killing for 26 years? 

The one thing that still puzzles me, is the very first time transmission between LEJ and PHY. LEJ was badly wounded and said it is probably his last transmission. I thought he was next to the manhole where they found the skeleton at the time. If so, how come they did not find that body in the past, when they found LEJ's body? And why did they not connect the first female killer to LEJ's death as well?  

I have to correct you. The first transmission between LeeJH and PHY was, when he was cheking the abandoned mental hospital! He discovered the body of the suspected kidnapper. But he got hit. I don't think, he died that night. It was his second transmission, when he was badly wounded and PHY heard gun shots... Before his death, he had a wound on his head and had been shot. So to me, this must have happened later! We know that he died 2001!

As for the second case, major spoiler:

Spoiler

LJH punished the serial killer by letting him fall from a building. First he wanted to save him, when the son fell from the rooftop, but when the later began smiling (or better said smirking), LJH realised that the son never felt remorse and was a sociopath. That's why he took his hand away and let him fall. The son became handicapped (couldn't walk any more therefore the killing stopped). The bus driver had lied because the person who went on the bus was his own son. The father never wanted to believe that his own son had been the serial killer. Even after getting caught, he was still denying it!! But one of the passenger remembered he had lied therefore she caught killed by the father. The father never wanted this secret to be discovered that's why he killed her first and made the knot , unaware that it was the other way around. When he was caught because of the CCTV, he confessed, he was the serial killer but PHY could prove that he was lying!

Thanks to LJH who had given to the last victim a tyser, DNA test could be made. She had used it during the attack! 

Actually, I wasn't surprised that it was his son. The moment he lied, I knew he must have known this person... If it had been a friend, then why lie? It had to be a relative. Since it had been established that the killer had to be around 26 years old. I imagined, it had to be his son!!   

This episode had less tension than the third... I find it fascinating that the uneven episodes are always much more tense than the even ones!

But this doesn't mean, the even episodes aren't good. Far from it actually!! I watched it raw and understood a little... but it was so upsetting!! 

Spoiler

I was kind of surprised that the girl did die and LJH couldn't save her!! 

On 24.1.2016 at 0:47 PM, bebebisous33 said:

Actually this picture  is not related to the crime PHY's brother had been accused of, I rather believe, his older brother committed suicide because he couldn't bear the pressure and the false accusations!

I would like Lee to investigate this case because this was the reason why PHY became so resentful towards the police and police officers!

And I was right! IT was the brother who committed suicide!! PHY discovered his brother!!

Great to see more familiar faces here...  @drmjs, @drynase, @Ginaaaa, @lalala1234, @hershlag, @andy78, @Mico Ricco, @plappi, @MrsSoJiSub, @KwonSangSeung, @eunsuhae    wavesmile.gif

And welcome all new friends here.      welcome.gif

@ina111, @bebebisous33      I know this drama is supposed to be based on "Memories of a Murder" movie, about the unresolved Hwaseong murder cases. I still hope, that since they mentioned it, they will also resolve the fictional death of PHY's brother.

@drmjs, Thank you for checking out about time wraps, and explaining to us the difference between the causual loop theory and the grandfather paradox.

@allegramente, Love your insights re 23:23! (page 15).   In addition, (since you inspired me to look)

Proverbs 23:23 (KJV) Buy the truth, and sell it not; also wisdom, and instruction, and understanding.

@eunsuhae, I also felt there were no satisfactory answers to the girl's kidnap and murder. I don't know if the writers will come back to the story later, with more explanation, and it it would somehow tie in more securely into the rest of the story. I hope so.

On 1/26/2016 at 6:44 AM, allegramente said:

CMIIW.  Didn't the nurse "confess" that she did not kill the girl? Could the nurse be just a part of a bigger and more sinister happenings in the Psych Hospital? Because  LJH was stopped by someone else (or was it the nurse?) when investigating the man-hole..

@allegramente, interesting thoughts. Thank you. That part bothered me too... I had assumed that the nurse was the one who killed LJH, and wondered why this has not been addressed.  Now you point to a much more sinister possibility...

On 1/29/2016 at 1:33 AM, ILYSM08 said:

significance of 11:23 PM
-Real reason of LJH disappearance and if he is already dead, the possibilities of him coming back to life through changing the past like what happened in Freuqency film

@ILYSM08, my thought and hope as well.

@hershlag, interesting observation, based on the poster.... (pg. 16)

@bebebisous33, thank you for correcting me... regarding LEJ's injury/death/first transmission.

Love your insights.!

Recaps on Noonas Over Forks:

http://noonasoverforks.com/signal-episode-1-recap/

http://noonasoverforks.com/signal-episode-2-recap/

‘시그널’ 이제훈-김혜수-조진웅 / tvN ‘시그널’

Signal

Spoiler

kd.jpg

tv Report - Naver: 'Signal', Lee Je Hoon and Jo Jin Woong, prevent murders in the past and in the present 

1. [+5,847, -54] One hell of an amazing episode. Adding this to the list of best dramas I've ever watched

2. [+5,127, -44] One hour is too short ㅜㅜㅜㅜ

3. [+3,943, -45] It's so good. Best drama ever!!

4. [+3,534, -38] The best. No words needed

5. [+2,946, -43] So amazing ㅎㅎㅎㅎ

6. [+1,394, -18] Reply 1988's episodes are 1hr30mins each but why does Signal only gets 1hr/ep?.. Unfair

7. [+1,401, -23] Lee Je Hoon was so awesome when he talked informally to the cops

8. [+1,925, -10] The line that gave me goosebumps: "What could the murderer be doing right now?"

9. [+1,237, -11] I wonder if the Hwasung murderers are watching Signal right now

10. [+1,100, -19] The murderer is the bus driver's son. During the investigation at the police station, the woman behind him had that shocked expression in her face when he said nobody got on the bus. The murderer is either his son or his close relative. 

Spoiler

jj11.jpg

1. [+661, -5] Wow crazy daebak

2. [+597, -6] The writer and the director are geniuses. How did they think of bringing a story like this to life? The writing, directing and acting are all daebak

3. [+540, -70] A shame that this isn't airing on public broadcast
-There would be love lines by now if it aired on public broadcast. It's actually a relief that it's airing on cable
-You meant it's a relief that it's on cable ㅋ
-The commenter meant it would reach out a larger audience base. Don't you realize that not everyone has cable?

4. [+64, 0] Please stop mentioning public broadcast, it's a huge relief that it's airing on cable. If it's airing on one of the big 3, I'm 100% sure Kim Hye Soo and Lee Je Hoon will have a love line, there would be birth secrets and other sorts of makjang stupidity

5. [+60, 0] I like the tones of the characters especially Kim Hye Soo's voice. It feels like I'm watching a movie. I don't even like investigation dramas but now I cannot wait for Fri/Sat to come

6. [+59, -1] It's been so empty after Reply ended so I started watching this and now, I've completely forgotten about Reply

7. [+38, 0] The murderer is the bus driver's son

Spoiler

uu21.jpg

1. [+4,546, -246] He's really good though... Trash journalists and their titles

2. [+3,966, -196] His tone and line delivery are quite good. I like everything about his acting

3. [+3,153, -134] Signal is honestly so amazing ㅠㅠ I like Lee Je Hoon's acting too

4. [+2,698, -135] But he's doing such a great job

5. [+522, -47] It could be because Signal has a number of really good actors that Lee Je Hoon's acting comes off as weak to some people but if I put myself in his character's situation,  I would be freaking out if a crime case comes up or if a walkie talkie suddenly blares to life.  He's conveying that through his tone in quite a natural way too. Hwaiting

6. [+282, -37] But who made up this acting controversy? Lee Je Hoon is doing just fine. Reporters are the ones making and spreading controversies by writing problematic titles like this on their articles 

source

@irilight You're welcome! 

About your dissatisfaction about the motives for the kidnapping and killing of the little girl, I see it differently. Sure, for a perfect sane person, it doesn't make sense at all, since she wasn't after money! However, her illness (narcissic disorder), especially when it is heavy, is the main cause for her misdeeds. Remember, her boyfriend had got into debts for her and I can imagine, he was about to dump her. He was already struggling financially (he was only a student!) and due to the debts and the emotional burden, I can imagine that the nurse Yoo had sensed it. This means that she would lose a lot: not only her source of extra income, but also the one who paid attention to her. Like the profiler once wrote: her big need is getting attention from people but also admiration. 

To conclude: The nurse killed the girl because of her narcissic disorder but since her boyfriend was having a hard time, I can imagine, they must have quarelled a lot! Therefore the possibility of dumping her and the quarelling must have pushed her to seek attention elsewhere. She must have thought, if she had a child and acted as a "surrogate" mother, it would satisfy her! Therefore she waited for any child who would be alone after school. But I can imagine that that little girl asked at some point for her mother, but this upset the nurse. The girl must have started crying and disobeying which irked the nurse! She felt disrespected and insulted and she must have hurt the girl in a rage! To me, it is pretty clear that she must have killed her because of the girl's behaviour. After her misdeed she realised what she had done but was caught by her boyfriend! IT was said that the girl died in a cruel way implying that Ms. Yoo acted because of her emotions (rage, hatred aso for not getting what she had wanted in the first place: attention, care, aso). 

LJH got hit by someone else near the hospital... I don't think, it was the nurse because she never felt threatened before. she kept living normally for almost 15 years! If she had felt pressured, she could have left Seoul and gone elsewhere. But no, she didn't move far away. Remember the note had been sellotaped on his computer screen. So anyone working at the police station could have read it! The one who hit and killed him is someone working at the police station. This person had no idea why LJH would go to that mental hospital! Moreover, the person couldn't reveal anything about the body because it could be connected to the disappearance and the murder of LJH. Besides, the second transmission (just before he was shot a second time) happened exactly one day later. I came to the conclusion that first LJH was hit and held captive (therefore the bleeding on his head) for many hours. Then he managed to escape and take his talkie-walkie but while running away, he got shot one time. Due to that, he couldn't leave the woods! He knew, he had to wait for 11.23 pm hence he hid! But the talkie-walkie transmission revealed his lair so that he got killed for real. He also mentioned "they" in his last transmission implying that there were at least two culprits!! The nurse Yoo was working on her own this whole time! 

--> She isn't the one who hit LJH and killed him later!!    

I started watching this drama a week ago and just finished episode 4! The first ep gave me a lot of creeps but the plot is so good! Sometimes it's frustrating because the characters don't know what the audience already knew, but I'm glad Park Hae Young is a smart guy who is always able to detect the crucial clues and solve the cases! I think the writer's explanation for the case is pretty logical and creative. Come to think of it, if Hae Young didn't tell didn't tell Jae Han to find the seventh victim, then the killer probably wouldn't have revealed his identity (so soon) by desperately killing the witnesses in order to cover up his crimes. So, in a way, PHY actually helped solve the case itself with the clues he gave to LJH! That was interesting. Also, I wonder what exactly happened to his brother? If he was arrested/sentenced to prison, why did he commit suicide at home? Was it after he was released/found guilty?

LJH must have known he was going to die in 2000/2001 (I think PHY will tell him in the coming episodes) will he still choose to go to his death if he knew? Also, I think the person who hit him in the head was a male, judging from the body/build. If it were the nurse, she could have stabbed him with a needle and be done with it, no need to use brute force and risk getting caught. But since that man was also at the hospital, I wonder if the hospital itself has some problems lol...the more I think about it, the creepier it gets. 

From the conversation the high ranking police official had with one of the detectives, I think LJH may be investigating a controversial case that involves many powerful government officials, so maybe he was killed to cover his mouth because he found some evidence? Also since there was sound of gunshot, the person who killed LJH may be part of organized crime or maybe even police itself? So many possibilities!

i just realized this drama is the writer's fourth detective drama, after sign, ghost, and three days! No wonder she is so good LOL.

i really look forward to the coming episodes! (even though I get really scared whenever I watch these kind of dramas XD) The way they incorporate the past/future contributions to case is simply flawless! 

@irilight thanks for the warm welcome.

I like it that detective/mystery/thriller genre has finally got a decent treatment on small screen since some of Korean films in this genre are quite outstanding. I hope this one keeps up with the quality it had set in its first week.

The drawback I experienced in this drama so far has been the "stereotypical" portrayal of good-cop and bad-cop, and the immediately suspicious looking persons, such as the bus driver, the higher-ups, the uncooperative cops. We get more satisfaction when our heroes face extremely intelligent criminals than police's incompetence.

2 hours ago, tw20127 said:

So, in a way, PHY actually helped solve the case itself with the clues he gave to LJH! That was interesting. Also, I wonder what exactly happened to his brother? If he was arrested/sentenced to prison, why did he commit suicide at home? Was it after he was released/found guilty?

I wonder about the length/duration of communication per session that is allowed. Is it just in the 23:23:00 - 23:23:59 window, ie. one minute? Because it is so, that would seriously limit the amount of exchanged information. It would be difficult to prevent future crimes, like the girl's kidnapping although I think PHY would eventually try to warn his younger self via LJH, instead of just catching killers.

Parts of the mysteries that I think I would like to see explored:

• PHY's brother: the crime that had him arrested and whether they could save him from suicide.
  • LJH's disappearance: is he dead or trapped in a time-space tesseract (ala  interstellar) and whether he could be saved.
  • the 5W+H that triggered this time-space-crossing communication...

Would love to read your insights...

ETA: seriously I cracked up watching LJH and his romantic gesture: giving a taser to a love interest. HAHAHA.

14 hours ago, lalalala1234 said:

This drama is very interesting.
It has a 'Special Affairs Team TEN's feeling.(OCN's drama) n butterfly effect setting(Nine) n Ditto's medium(2000 year movie)
unique feeling that the past and future intersect, good writer, directer, OST, actor&actress.

If you do worry watching 'signal', just look. It is worth.

p.s)Writer has already completed the final script.

you  hit  it  right!  i  was  thinking  of  that  old  kim  ha  neul  movie  where they  communicate  with  the  past thru  a  ham  radio.  it  was a  good  movie  jsut  like  this  current  'signal'  goes to show  also  how  times  hanve  changed in  solving  crimes  and  extracting confessions.  today  we  have dna(which  the much  lamented csi : las vegas pioneered},  cctvs, black  boxes  etc  etc.  also  even  in  my couontry  they  used  to  resort  to  violence  to  force  a  confession out  of  suspects,  if you  do  it  now  then you'll  be  charged  with  human rights  violations.  this  is a  verythinking  drama  much  unlike  thoserom  coms  with  silly  plotlines 

This show really does remind me of an OCN favourite, Missing Noir M. It's greatest strength lies not in any complex police procedural or even in its careful manipulation of time but to give crime an all too human face. To be able to weep in light of such horrors is to reclaim one's humanity, to acknowledge that something terrible has happened, something that shouldn't have happened but did and now life must go on. The outpouring of grief is is necessary for that closure.

Crimes involve people. The victims, the perpetrators, their families and those who investigate them. The 10 women aren't statistics or a footnote in history. They had lives and people who loved them, people who carry the shadows of their deaths every day. 

This for me was the message of the last four episodes. I imagine it's not over yet. It's certainly not over for PHY for whom it is too close to home. It's probably not over for Det Cha, for whom the mystery of her sunbae's disappearance still looms large.

It turns out that we were right about the perpetrator and the one who abetted him. (At least in this version anyway) That's good. It means the show is trying to be logical. My question about the killer resurfacing (picked up by @drmjs) was dealt with satisfactorily in this episode. There was a reason for bringing attention to the killing Jung Kyung Su in such an egregious fashion.

The concept of temporal mutability seems to have driven the first couple of arcs within the framework of rubber-band history. There's room for some change but eventually what must be will be. Which makes sense when one considers how much policing has changed but only with advances in science and technology. This is why I said in the beginning that this show reminds me so much of Star Trek (2009). The course is generally similar. Disruptions of the prime timeline will soon iron themselves out. There's probably some level of fatalism in it.

11:23 remains a mystery and its significance will probably continue being so until the end.

For me this is the best episode yet because of that last 15 minutes. It's easy to make crime about the perpetrators but really it should first and foremost be about the victims.

January 31, 2016

Signal of success

Source: The Korea Times

1010-650.jpg
"Signal" poster / Courtesy of tvN

The tvN TV drama "Signal" is already proving a big hit after the "Reply 1988" syndrome phased out with its last episode two weeks ago.

Starting with a 6 percent rating for its first episode on Jan. 22, "Signal," which screens every Friday and Saturday, has been gaining an additional 1 percent with each following episode on average.

The fantasy drama portrays detective from the present and a policeman from 1989 communicating via walkie-talkie to solve a long-time unsolved case. TV viewers are fascinated with the intriguing plot, which on Saturday showed the policeman in the past failing to stop his girlfriend being murdered.

There had been doubts about whether the show would fare as well as "Reply 1988." 

aoshima11@ktimes.com

Archived