[Drama 2016] Signal 시그널

larus

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@bebebisous33 I watched ep. 3 as well. I told myself I that wouldn't do that because I need subs, but then went and did it anyway. :) No regrets though. I agree with you, it was a great episode, full of tension, frustration, and some goosebumps. The preview promises another exciting episode tomorrow. 

I cannot wait for the subs!

I thought it was cool that we got to see LJH's judo moves in this episode, first with the killer, then with the man he suspected of being PHY. LOL, he shoulder threw that detective like he was a sack of feathers. :D  (According to the character descriptions LJH almost made it into the '88 Olympics, but had to quit because of injury.) 

About the new murder:

Spoiler

I know very little Korean, so I could be very wrong about this, but I thought that the person who was killed in 2015 was the 8th's victim coworker. (This is the woman who was at the police station at the same time when they questioned the bus driver back in '89.) I thought that CSH and PHY were on their way to see her because the other detective (I forget his name) told CSH that he tried to meet with her the day before, but she didn't seem to be at home.

That woman was probably killed because she knew something about the bus driver or the killer. Perhaps she suspected or knew that the bus driver wasn't telling the truth in '89 when he said that no one boarded the bus at that bus stop. It doesn't look like she ever told the police about it, but maybe she confronted the driver personally at some later time, in which case the driver would know that her testimony could get him and/or the killer in trouble. So when the reinvestigation started and the police came to talk to the driver again, he or the killer might have worried that the police will talk to that woman as well, so they got rid of her.

There seems to be some doubt whether this is the same killer as in '89. I think CSH said that this victim was killed first then tied up, whereas back in '89 it was the reverse. However, the knots seem to be the same, and since those details were never revealed to the public, it's either the same killer, or someone really close to them.

@hershlag I think you might be right about your predictions. :( 

What CSH told PHY in episode 1 about cold cases seems to be one of the central themes of this drama. Knowing what happened to your loved ones, even if it's a painful truth, helps the families move on with time; with unsolved cases one cannot forget, and it's like being stuck in hell. (I hope I didn't paraphrase her words too loosely.) In a way both of our present day detectives are stuck in the past because they have experienced this personally, CSH because of LJH, and PHY because of his brother and KYJ. This latest episode revealed that the same was true for LJH from 2000 in the first couple of episodes because his first love was the 10th (now potentially the 9th) victim of the Gyeonggi serial killer. 
In order to undo this time knot (or whatever it is that's going on with this 'magic' radio) and move on, our characters will need to solve the cold cases that involve their loved ones and get some sort of closure. I would love it if that also meant that their loved ones could be saved in the end (at least LJH!), but I don't think that this is very likely. At any rate, I'm really looking forward to seeing what the writer had in mind. 

5 Reasons Signal is the perfect gateway series to hook your friends and family on K-dramas

by Vivi on Wed, Jan 27, 2016

2433d6f8-2f5c-47e3-83aa-389726d916ae.png

Signal started off with a strong premiere week, grabbing solid ratings in Korea and earning rave reviews from DramaFever viewers. As I watched the premiere, I was shocked when my husband and his best friend (not exactly the typical K-drama demographic) wandered into the room for a moment and ended up watching the entire second episode with me! If you're like me and are always on the lookout for a way to hook your non-drama watching friends and family members, Signal is a perfect place to start. Here's why:

Read more http://www.dramafever.com/news/5-reasons-signal-is-the-perfect-gateway-series-to-hook-your-friends-and-family-on-k-dramas/

8 hours ago, plappi said:

Bum Joon Jang - Reminiscence [Signal OST Part.1]

Translated lyrics

Jang Beom Joon – Reminisce (화상) Signal OST

I was walking
When I felt someone was next to me
I knew

That you have already left
That I was walking by myself
Suddenly the wind feels colder

My heart had frozen and I stood there
I couldn’t move even a little bit

Just like a frozen person
Was I just shocked?
The moonlight is hiding as it cries

I’m thinking of the person who left
I’m thinking of the person who turned around

I didn’t ask why you were leaving
But my heart ached so much

You had already turned around
I couldn’t do anything about it
I actually resented myself more

I’m thinking of the person who left
I’m thinking of the person who turned around

I was walking
When I felt someone was next to me
I knew

That you have already left
That I was walking by myself

I didn’t ask why you were leaving
But my heart ached so much

You had already turned around
I couldn’t do anything about it
I actually resented myself more

credit - popgasa

1 hour ago, kasjady said:

Loving this show it's like "Nine" meets "God's Gift - 14 days" ^^

This!! It's like the combination of the complicated timelines in Nine, plus the dark themed, mystery and thrill in God's Gift! This show is pure Genius! I'm so pumped up!

22 minutes ago, hershlag said:

This!! It's like the combination of the complicated timelines in Nine, plus the dark themed, mystery and thrill in God's Gift! This show is pure Genius! I'm so pumped up!

I just realised they got the writer of "Phantom" and the director of "Misaeng" to carry this sweet thrilling drama. I can't wait to see episode 4!

- I'm so worried for Lee Jae Han he's trying to catch the criminal but at the same time becomes more suspicious by the cops around him, as he knows too much. 

- In episode 1  Park Hae Young farewells his convicted "hyung", I wonder what his back story is and whether he gets a chance to fix it. 

- I'm loving that the team are starting to get closer together >< 

Signal Ep.3

tv Report - Naver: 'Signal', Lee Je Hoon and Jo Jin Woong, prevent murders in the past and in the present 

1. [+5,847, -54] One hell of an amazing episode. Adding this to the list of best dramas I've ever watched

2. [+5,127, -44] One hour is too short ㅜㅜㅜㅜ

3. [+3,943, -45] It's so good. Best drama ever!!

4. [+3,534, -38] The best. No words needed

5. [+2,946, -43] So amazing ㅎㅎㅎㅎ

6. [+1,394, -18] Reply 1988's episodes are 1hr30mins each but why does Signal only gets 1hr/ep?.. Unfair

7. [+1,401, -23] Lee Je Hoon was so awesome when he talked informally to the cops

8. [+1,925, -10] The line that gave me goosebumps: "What could the murderer be doing right now?"

9. [+1,237, -11] I wonder if the Hwasung murderers are watching Signal right now

10. [+1,100, -19] The murderer is the bus driver's son. During the investigation at the police station, the woman behind him had that shocked expression in her face when he said nobody got on the bus. The murderer is either his son or his close relative.

1. [+661, -5] Wow crazy daebak

2. [+597, -6] The writer and the director are geniuses. How did they think of bringing a story like this to life? The writing, directing and acting are all daebak

3. [+540, -70] A shame that this isn't airing on public broadcast
-There would be love lines by now if it aired on public broadcast. It's actually a relief that it's airing on cable
-You meant it's a relief that it's on cable ㅋ
-The commenter meant it would reach out a larger audience base. Don't you realize that not everyone has cable?

4. [+64, 0] Please stop mentioning public broadcast, it's a huge relief that it's airing on cable. If it's airing on one of the big 3, I'm 100% sure Kim Hye Soo and Lee Je Hoon will have a love line, there would be birth secrets and other sorts of makjang stupidity

5. [+60, 0] I like the tones of the characters especially Kim Hye Soo's voice. It feels like I'm watching a movie. I don't even like investigation dramas but now I cannot wait for Fri/Sat to come

6. [+59, -1] It's been so empty after Reply ended so I started watching this and now, I've completely forgotten about Reply

7. [+38, 0] The murderer is the bus driver's son

Osen - Naver: 'Signal', Lee Je Hoon's acting controversy? Answers can be found through his acting 

1. [+4,546, -246] He's really good though... Trash journalists and their titles

2. [+3,966, -196] His tone and line delivery are quite good. I like everything about his acting

3. [+3,153, -134] Signal is honestly so amazing ㅠㅠ I like Lee Je Hoon's acting too

4. [+2,698, -135] But he's doing such a great job

5. [+522, -47] It could be because Signal has a number of really good actors that Lee Je Hoon's acting comes off as weak to some people but if I put myself in his character's situation,  I would be freaking out if a crime case comes up or if a walkie talkie suddenly blares to life.  He's conveying that through his tone in quite a natural way too. Hwaiting

6. [+282, -37] But who made up this acting controversy? Lee Je Hoon is doing just fine. Reporters are the ones making and spreading controversies by writing problematic titles like this on their articles

I burst out of laugh during the love scene omg Lee Jae Han komsa-nim why are you so amateur when it comes to love ;;;___;;; plus, am i the only one who feels the driver is so strange? Indeed, he was so old back then.

The OST is so good!!! ^_^

Things are definitely heating up in the timey-wimey loop de loop side of things. ;) How does one explain any of it to anyone?

So the past can be changed but it has consequences for the future. Okay, that's a no-brainer. By saving the eighth victim, it alters the course of the killer's movement (which is interesting) and leads him to bring forward his time table. That makes sense. All this is your garden variety, run-of-the-mill butterfly effect stuff. So now the chase is on to see if the 10th victim can be saved. 

But what's really interesting for me in the this episode is the creation of Cold Case squad which came out of solving the earlier kidnapping/murder, has now forced the killer out of hiding and to act in haste. So then... saving the 8th victim previously was a double edged sword. It forced the killer to act out of habit thus providing the present day coppers with new avenues for investigation.

Right now I'm wondering why the original killer is using the same MO if he's been trying to fly under the radar.

The bus driver is undoubtedly at the centre of things. He's probably not the killer but knows the killer really well to cover for him for 26 years. Why wasn't he made to do a polygraph? Another indication of how the cops botched things maybe? I imagine the dominant theory re: the Hwaseong murders in this show is that someone did know the identity of the murderer but chose to keep mum or lie.

The chief interests me in how he maneouvres in the background. On the one hand it looks like he's playing politics with the superintendent but then in his own way he's doing what he can to facilitate investigations for Det Cha and Co. I suspect that his long-term objective is to re-open the case on Lee Jae Han's disappearance. This side of things reminds of the Japanese drama Emergency Interrogation Room.

We saw that detective Cha loved Lee Jae Han and it seems to be mutual. But since PHY revealed the name of the 8th victim and the location, Lee Jae Han started following the future 8th victim which she noticed. By following her he prevented her to be the 8th victim because the killer decided to change his target. By trying to protect her, he fell in love with her and now he would like to ask her to date him and we all noticed that the office employe started liking Lee Jae Han. So this came to my mind that because PHY's intervention, Lee Jae Han's love life has changed and maybe this will have an impact on detective Cha' s love. Since she loved him so much and couldn't forget him (she visited the father), I can imagine that's how she will figure it out that the past is changing! 

As for the Lee JAe Han's murder, I guess, it is connected to his career and how he solved murder cases with the help from PHY! We saw there is some bad blood between LJH and Kim Bum-Soo and the latter seems to be that ambitious. Since they are changing the past, Lee's career could take a different turn and become a thread to Kim Bum-Soo's career! 

'Signal' Kim Hye-soo to hear about the radio communication for the first time

Spoiler

photo680234.jpg

"Signal" Lee Je-hoon hinted Kim Hye-soo about the secret walkie talkie.

On the third episode of tvN's "Signal", Cha Soohyeon (Kim Hye-soo) visited the victim's family, who also could be victimized by the serial killer.

Cha Soohyeon was kicked out at the door right after she asked the family some questions about the tragedy in the past. On her way out, she encountered Park Hae-yeong (Lee Je-hoon). Park Hae-yeong came to the place following the request from Lee Jae-han (Jo Jin-woong) through the walkie talkie conversation.

Park Hae-yeong asked Cha Soohyeon, "If you had received a radio communication from the past, how would you feel". Cha Soohyeon responded, "Are you saying you came to see the victim's family because of the radio communication from the past?" She won't believe him. .

However, Cha Soohyeon told Park Hae-yeong, who was disappointed and was walking away from her, "If I'd receive a radio message from the past, I'd ask the person to keep his precious person" and "It'd better than doing nothing even though it'd turn out to be a failure".

http://www.hancinema.net/spoiler-signal-kim-hye-soo-to-hear-about-the-radio-communication-for-the-first-time-90952.html

Just finished watching episode 3 which was just as amazing as the last two. One thing I was a little confused about was the people who were on the bus when the killer went on.  I know the bus driver and two females were present. The two females eventually became victims as they witnessed the scene; however,  the woman who talked to MinJoo last was interrogated (killed in 2015) was she also on the bus??? 

I just started watching this yesterday. This drama doesn't feel like a drama at all. It's like a movie!

The bus driver knows who is the murderer. He might be the next victim. 

I'm intrigued on what happened to Lee Jaehan.. hmm.. the higher up seems like connected to it. I'm so excited for episode 4. LJH will save her.. 

At fisrt don't know anything about this drama... Comin for watch because wait other on going drama (cheese in the trap)

God bless me when i decided watch it!! I'm hooked!! So damn well.. Such a brilliant story line!! And ratings daebak!!
After watch ep 3 i wonder, will LJH success to save her? If yaa,
Sure history going to change and so just PHY who know and realize about it (sooo exciting!)

Anyone who had a streaming link for tonight please pm me... :) I'm beg on you cause it give me impatient what will coming next
#note:englishisn'tmyfirstlanguage #pardonme

Just finished episode 3 with subs, omg it's really good.

Signal is now beginning to hit it's stride, we've established how LJH and PHY will be solving cold cases. I wonder, will they be following a pattern? For the first case, LJH helped PHY solve the case by catching the narcissistic nurse, it was LJH who was giving the clues. For the second case(s?), PHY was the one giving the information to a very surprised LJH in 1989. The dynamics were somewhat similar, the ones who initially received the broadcasts were clueless going in, the one transmitting (if you can qualify it as such) the broadcasts were the ones wanting to solve the cases. Interesting right? 

So by following a pattern, it seems like the next case will be LJH wanting to solve something and PHY will be the one racing around and catching the criminal or not. Lol. Also they have tampered with the timeline with those cases, will there be unfortunate consequences brought about by the butterfly effect? Why is it happening with just these two? Are they somewhat connected? What are they to each other? With this kind of setup, the probable scenarios are unlimited! I'd like to see the butterfly effect happen in LJH's time too.

@40somethingahjumma Yeah, you brought up a logical point regarding the killer not changing his/her mo if they're doing things under the radar. But the criminal mind is not logical, to feed their psychoses, they stick to their old mo's like some badge of honor. It's like he was saying, "I'm back!" 

I also like the fact that they're now behaving like members of a team, with PHY even defending KGC from that nasty Gyeonggi detective. They're from the homicide squad, I'm so glad they're still instinctively sharp and fast with what they could contribute to the cases. 

Archived