[Drama 2016] Signal 시그널

larus

On 12/14/2016 at 7:26 AM, liddi said:

My all-time favourite drama, not just tvN's, is still Signal, hands down. 8 months down the road, and its hold on my heart has not been displaced, not by a long stretch. Season 2, please be a reality.

@liddi, Mine too....

Here is another opportunity to vote for it on Hancinema poll for Best Drama of the year.

http://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-awards-best-drama-101586.html

BTW, the CJ&E polls that @rubie posted (and thank you, Rubie, for all of these posts) are also available on FB, where they ask people to comment their answers on their posts.

https://www.facebook.com/cjentertainmentusa/?fref=ts

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say I really hate the Viki Banners "Presented by Viki." Viki really slowly destroying everything I liked about Soompi forums - that it was not tied to one outfit, but to all legally licensed outfits.

Anyway - is everyone ready for Signal Season 2?

Writer Kim Eun-hee-I Hints that "Signal" Season 2 Might be in the Making

photo797876.jpg

Fans of the drama "Signal" will be pleased to hear that a season 2 might be in the works.

On December 20, screenplay writer Kim Eun-hee-I attended the 5th annual 'The Story Concert' at the Seoul CoEx Grand Ball room to give a lecture on trends.

When asked about a season 2 for "Signal", Kim answered, "Everything needs a good script. My next production will be a historical drama. Afterwards, I will begin writing the script for a season 2. I should be writing a sequel since I ended the first one like that".

She continued, "The staff and crew from the drama still keep in touch".

She also stated that writing is what makes her the most happy and that she enjoys seeing her work being made into a production.

Fans should keep a look out for a season 2 within the next few years.

Source: Hancinema

'Signal' writer hints at possible season 2

PS16122000251g_99_20161220163605.jpg

fjsaklfoi.png

Edaily - Naver: Writer Kim Eun Hee "Thinking of writing 'Signal' season 2 after my comeback project'

1. [+3,219, -53] With the same cast please

2. [+2,006, -17] Hoping they dig into the Oh Dae Yang case and with the same cast

3. [+1,583, -48] Let's go for a second season with the same cast~!! Can't wait

4. [+1,104, -48] Wow. Will be waiting for season 2 ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ

5. [+189, -89] Signal's script is brilliant but Kim Won Suk PD played a huge role too... Please do go ahead for season 2 with him.I noticed directing style isn't rigid, I like that he infuses life into his works

6. [+118, -6] I'm sure it's possible to go with the same cast. First and foremost, Jo Jin Woong leaped to stardom and even won the Daesang through Signal so he has strong attachment to it. Lee Je Hoon said he's been waiting for season 2 ㅋㅋ And Hye Soo noonim's quite loyal. They'll most likely get on board for season 2

Daum

1. [+559, -4] Thank you

2. [+440, -11] Hoping that you'd include Park Geun Hye and Choi Soon Sil Gate-inspired content

3. [+345, -4] I'm a fan who's waiting for a season 2 with an open ending ~~~

4. [+90, -1] God Eun Hee is love. Can't wait for season 2

5. [+87, -1] For real?~~ With the same cast? Signal's a drama that we need in these troubled times

6. [+74, -2] If I could give this 100 likes!!!!!

7. [+65, -1] Oh yes!!! Got another drama to be excited for

Cr : http://kkuljaem.blogspot.com/2016/12/signal-writer-hints-at-possible-season-2.html

I also watch many drama after Signal (Please comeback mister, 38 police unit, lucky romance, Doctors, DMF, Age of youth, drinking solo, Moon lovers, Seo in guk shopping, etc), i like few of them but i never desperately begging to the writer & feel frustated like when i watch Signal. Maybe most of us have all experienced of 'cursing' while watching Signal but wanting more. If she's really mean it, let's meet again when Signal season 2 aired.

@liddi, @seuswin, indeed. :wub:
I will be here for that.
I am also curious about her historical drama. I remember reading an an article that quoted her husband saying it was unlike anything that has been done before.... Same goes for Signal, right?

In the meantime, lets vote for Jo Jin Woong as Best Actor in Soompi Awards

https://www.soompi.com/soompi-awards-2016-vote/?c=27

lets vote also  for Signal as Best Drama

https://www.soompi.com/soompi-awards-2016-vote/?c=29

7 minutes ago, kasjady said:

haha finally the dvd set is being released, though I will have to wait more longer for English subtitles and playable region lol. 

http://www.yesasia.com/global/signal-dvd-ep-1-16-end-multi-audio-tvn-tv-drama-taiwan-version/1055918492-0-0-0-en/info.html

@kasjady It's great to see that the DVD set is being released! However, looking at the Chinese product information, it does not speak about it being the director's cut, nor having any extras. It is C-subbed and has Mandarin dub along with the original Korean, and has only 4 DVDs... so methinks this is probably the same version that we have already seen. However, regardless, I am very glad to see a version of the DVD set being released, and continue to wait (im)patiently for the Director's Cut.

6 minutes ago, liddi said:

@kasjady It's great to see that the DVD set is being released! However, looking at the Chinese product information, it does not speak about it being the director's cut, nor having any extras. It is C-subbed and has Mandarin dub along with the original Korean, and has only 4 DVDs... so methinks this is probably the same version that we have already seen. However, regardless, I am very glad to see a version of the DVD set being released, and continue to wait (im)patiently for the Director's Cut.

haha absolutely can't wait for them to take my money for the director's cut!

I look forward to seeing your future comments on Signal season 2 if it's on board :D

Q : What was 'Signal'?
Jang Hyun-sung (Kim Bum-joo) : I think there is a pattern to make a drama or a movie, but it's meaningful that we have gotten a great response from a work that has not been done.

Kim eun hee : It was a very grateful piece of work, and it was fun to have staff, actors, and everyone work in a friendly atmosphere. I think I met them really well, and that was my first experience.

Q: You said you will do Signal 2?

Kim eun hee : *laugh* So it was a lecture, but i didn't know that the reporter were there. I went to and said "I want too, don't you think i should write it?". and there's bunch news after and i was like "what should i do?" (LOL) I wanted to do something that i can write well. Nowdays, we have so much incidents. So, I think i have a lot to write (Signal Materials).

Q : What do you think about this? (Asking Jang hyun-sung)

Kim eun hee : He's dead, so i don't think he will come out for season 2. How come the dead one come back to life?

Jang Hyun-sung : It's your job to bring back the dead to life again. *laugh*

Correct me if i make a mistake on the trans :D

@seuswin Thank you for the translation! So good to see the camaraderie between JHS and KEH... from what I understand, they have been best friends and drinking buddies for 18 years. I love the last question and how JHS slyly finds a way for KEH to bring him back to life. He's been a permanent fixture in her last 4 dramas (Sign, Ghost, 3Days, Signal) and I cannot imagine a KEH drama without him... be it her next sageuk or Signal S2. 

Writer Kim Eun Hee Discusses Season 2 Of “Signal” And Its Cast

signal

Writer Kim Eun Hee proved herself to be a master of the crime-thriller genre after her tvN series "Signal" made it big in early 2016.

Beginning with “Sign” in 2011, she went on to write “Phantom,” “3 Days,” and “Signal,” breaking the perception that an intellectually stimulating drama cannot be a hit among the general public.

With her skillfully written scripts reflecting the issues of the times, Kim Eun Hee has received the eager support of viewers, and earned the Best Screenplay Award for “Signal” at the 52nd Baeksang Arts Awards. She was also ranked eighth overall and second among writers on the list of “2016 Power People” by Ilgan Sports.

kim eun hee

Five months after an invitation for an interview was sent, Kim Eun Hee finally agreed to sit down and talk over drinks. With her was her best friend of 18 years, actor Jang Hyun Sung, who she highly recommended as a drinking buddy, saying, “There’s no one better than this person.”

During the interview, the two friends looked back on “Signal” and what the project means to them.

When asked about a previous statement she made that she is planning to write a new season for the drama, Kim Eun Hee responded, “I said that during a lecture and I didn’t know reporters were there. In other places I’ve said, ‘I want to write a second season. Of course I should, right?’ but it was the first time there were articles that came out. I was surprised.”

She continued, “Well, firstly I have to be able to write it well. There is so much going on nowadays so I think I’ll have a lot to write.”

The writer dismissed the possibility of Jang Hyun Sung appearing on a new season, saying, “He died so he can’t appear. How can a dead person be there?” to which Jang Hyun Sung joked, “With your skill as a writer you can save the dead too.”

She was then asked if she plans on continuing the new season with the same cast, and she responded, “I think it would be meaningful to do so. They’re a good ensemble and though I don’t have ideas yet I promised to write a new season anyway. I plan to write it, in any case.”

cr. Soompi

2016 Year in Review, Part 7: Editors’ Picks

by DB Staff | December 29, 2016

BEST DRAMA

signal_drama.jpg

Signal

girlfriday: Signal was an overwhelming favorite of the year among our staff, and I think that’s because it wasn’t just a dry, cerebral drama—it was addictively paced, emotionally gripping, and genuinely thrilling. In short, it was damn entertaining. We’ve seen many dramas dabble in time travel, but Signal manipulated time in a truly impressive way, telling two parallel stories in different timelines connected through unsolved crimes. What began as a mystery thriller told in an intricate web of past and present clues eventually became a powerful human drama, about three people who were connected by more than just the desire to seek justice. I never would’ve expected one of the year’s most powerful connections to be between two people who could never meet, but the magic of Signal was that it made those few minutes of human connection over a walkie-talkie as ardent and meaningful as any face-to-face. It’s a show that made us believe that if you really wanted to change the past and right wrongs badly enough, that desire could convince the universe to bend time and space and give you a shot.

Honorable Mentions
Dear My Friends

BEST DIRECTING

signal_directing.jpg

Signal

HeadsNo2: With Misaeng being the runaway directing hit of its time, everyone was looking toward director Kim Won-suk’s next project, and he delivered in a big way with Signal. By simply changing the aspect ratio of the scenes from the past, he was able to differentiate the two time periods by giving one a distinctive look, and in doing so, he was able to seamlessly navigate both past and present—even when they were occurring simultaneously. And the best part of it all is how assured the directing hand was while being practically invisible, since every shot was in service to the story, and every editing choice was made to help the audience experience the immediacy of every scene. The directing put us right in the middle of every moment of pathos, every heart-pounding moment of suspense, and every small triumph made, even if those moments carried consequences that were beyond what our two dedicated detectives could control. But for every thrilling moment there was an emotional center, and the fine directorial balance of all these elements is what made Signal such an unforgettable, resonant, and game-changing ride.

Honorable Mentions
This Week, My Wife Will Have an Affair

BEST WRITING

signal_writing.jpg

Signal

lovepark: Writer Kim Eun-hee has steadily made a name for herself as the queen of thrillers, and Signal justifies her title. She masterfully crafted a story flowing between two timelines while weaving the lives of the characters in each period as one coherent narrative that never felt haphazardly stitched together. She did not merely tell a tale about a person from the future wanting to fix the past, but depicted the struggle of two officers as they faced the dire consequences of meddling with time while still seeking justice in spite of everything. Without the solid writing, this drama could have easily fumbled and derailed due to the plethora of twists and turns, leaving the story in shambles and the viewers utterly confused. However, the plot constantly remained tight, which was crucial when time itself became a fluid variable in the storytelling. Thus, the writing always felt assured and never lost sight of its message—and the more complex the plot became, the more in control the writer appeared to be.

Honorable Mentions
Dear My Friends
This Week, My Wife Will Have an Affair

Cr : http://www.dramabeans.com/2016/12/2016-year-in-review-part-7-editors-picks/

@seuswin, thank you for translations of the interview.

On 12/30/2016 at 2:20 AM, liddi said:

So good to see the camaraderie between JHS and KEH... from what I understand, they have been best friends and drinking buddies for 18 years.

@liddi, I agree. It is so great to see them together. I had no idea that they were such good buddies.

@seuswin, thank you also for the Dramabeans picks for Signal. 

Makes me so happy to see that it has kept it's impact.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is another opportunity to  vote for Signal in the MyDramaList poll.

Both in Best Drama and in Best Action Drama.
Also in Best Actor   (Note: ln the Best Actor Category they listed Cho Jin-Woong for Signal as Lee Jin-Woong.:dissapointed:)
Best Villain
Best OST

http://mydramalist.com/article/2016/12/23/polls-mydramalists-best-of-korea-2016

These polls will be closed on January 5th, 2017!

• 2 weeks later...

3 Dramas That Really, Really Deserve A Second Season (And Have Flirted With The Possibility)

incomplete life signal drinking solo
<<snipped>>

Signal

Signal

If “Incomplete Life” was the darling of tvN in 2014, then surely “Signal” cemented the cable channel’s status in the dramaverse in 2016. Written by Kim Eun Hee and directed by Kim Won Suk, “Signal” is about a group of detectives who investigate a cold case after discovering a radio that can transmit signals from the past.

Kim Won Suk’s detailed direction and Kim Eun Hee’s well-crafted plot kept viewers hooked throughout the series, as well as the chemistry between actors Jo Jin Woong, Lee Je Hoon, and Kim Hye Soo. The ending of the drama, though meaningful in many ways, left many viewers clamoring for a second season.

Kim Eun Hee has been open to the possibility in the past, saying recently, “Everything is possible only with a good script. After finishing my historical drama, I’m thinking of trying my hand at the second season of ‘Signal.’ If I wrote an ending like that, I have to try, right?”

She added, “‘Signal’ is a special production. I’m still in contact with the actors and the production staff, and everyone has a lot of love for the drama.”

cr. Soompi

Hi, the 5th CARI Kdrama Awards conducted among Malaysian fans under Malaysian Kdrama Critics and Fans Society (Kmania) has just concluded the last few days. Signal swept six out of eight nominations.

Here, the results as follows:

5th CARI Kdrama Awards

[tvN] Signal

Excellence Categories:

(WON)

• Drama of the Year
  • Best Director (Kim Won Suk)
  • Best Screenplay (Kim Eun Hee)
  • Best  Actor (Jo Jin Woong)
  • Best Original Score
  • PD's Award for Best Ensemble Casts - [tvN] Signal – Jo Jin Woong, Lee Je Hoon, Kim Hye Soo, Jang Hyun Sung, Jung Hae Kyun(*Winner – Tied with Reply 1988*)

(NOMINATED)

• Best  Actress (Kim Hye Soo)
  • Best Cinematography

Popular Categories:

(WON)

• Favorite Drama
  • Popular Ahjussi (Jo Jin Woong)

(NOMINATED)

• The Most Memorable Scene
  •  
  • Popular Child Actor
  • Drama Poster Choice

Source: http://www.kmania.org/5th-cari-2016-k-drama-awards/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This was a good drama; very interesting and kept me entertained. However, I do think it didn't end--the drama was just beginning when it ended. Yes, we know who the real culprit is, but he's running free and has sent his attack dogs to kill our MIA detective. I felt let down with the ending. If the writer doesn't make a sequel, then this will be more than a drama with an open ending, it will be a truly unfinished drama.

10 minutes ago, seuswin said:

This might be shocking :

http://www.sporbiz.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=81804

"I told Kim Eun-hee that i might be couldn't appear in 'Signal 2' because 'signal' was difficult." -Jo jin woong interview

Nooo... please say it isn't so :( Is he definitely rejecting the possibility of reprising his role as LJH, or is he merely saying that he might not appear? I do remember that JJW said it was a really dark time in his life when he filmed Signal, having to mentally go through all the emotional upheaval and bleakness, which in turn gave birth to his Daesang-winning performance. As such, I guess he is perhaps not quite mentally ready to revisit that dark place yet. As a fan of the drama, I hope that all the cast and characters will be reunited in season 2, but as a fan, while disappointed, I respect his choice, whatever it may be, as only he knows what he can and is willing to go through for a role. 

Archived