[Drama 2016] Signal 시그널

larus

Hit thriller Signal writer Kim Eun-hee announces next project

by tineybeanie | October 21, 2016 | 11 Comments

photo KEH_writer.jpg

The writer of tvN’s hit crime drama Signal, Kim Eun-hee, revealed that she has started writing her next project. There were some rumors that she would be making a second season of Signal, but she has now stated that she is doing an altogether fresh project. At the 5th World Women Economic Forum this past Wednesday, during the “Balance” panel, she announced that she was currently in the stages of working on a synopsis for a historical drama. When asked for specifics, she said, “Like always [in my dramas], a lot of people will probably die. I think it will be ready by next year.”

Kim Eun-hee is renowned for creating deep complex characters and suspenseful plot sequences. Her specialty is the thriller genre, but she’s mixed it with a couple different elements in the past. For Sign, she tackled the forensic medical setting. In Ghost, she made cyber security and people staring at computer screens interesting by adding complicated government conspiracies. She also created Three Days, which was about the potential assassination of the president. Her most recent time-warp crime thriller Signal, despite being on a cable network, reached double-digit ratings and finished at 12.6 percent. It was for this drama that she was awarded the Best Screenplay at the Baeksang Arts Awards, Best Writer at the APAN Star Awards. The series also picked up multiple awards at tvN’s first 10-year anniversary award ceremony.

She and her husband, PD Jang Hang-joon, are a known power couple in the Korean entertainment industry. He is primarily a director, and has collaborated several times with his wife on various drama projects. For instance, they did Sign, Harvest Villa, and Ghosttogether. Variety program Infinite Challenge’s 2016 short film Muhan Company, which featured Lee Je-hoon and G-Dragon, was also a husband-wife collaboration. Proud of his wife’s work, PD Jang also gave his two cents about Kim Eun-hee’s current project-in-progress: “It is something on a completely different level, something we’ve never seen in sageuk before.”

At a clarifying interview with IS Plus, writer Kim said that the writing wasn’t going as smoothly as she wanted. “It’s not organized yet, so I can’t reveal anything definite now. Nothing has been decided except for that it will be a historical drama. My goal is to have it ready by next year, but it’s not going to be easy. When I have something more concrete, I will let you know.” I just want to say, writer-nim, thank you for the update and for giving us another reason why 2017 can’t come soon enough.

Signal writer Kim Eun-hee’s new sageuk is in the works, and hopefully we’ll get to see it next year.

cr. Dramabeans

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ktiminie

One more guys!!

CONGRATS to Jo Jin Woong who won the Grand Prize (Daesang) at the Asian Artist Awards for his acting in drama Signal :w00t:

PpJ7wb.jpg

Siogrb.jpg

seQYgC.jpg

So happy for him!

• 2 weeks later...

December 2, 2016 

Cho Jin-woong ‘depressed’ after acting in ‘Signal’

(tvN)

Veteran actor Cho Jin-woong said in an interview with local media that he felt a sense of depression after acting in tvN’s crime series “Signal,” which earned him fame.

“I suffered terrible aftereffects,” Cho said in an interview with Sports Chosun. “The storyline gives viewers a gloomy and saddening atmosphere, which made me choose a bright character as the next role.”

During the interview, Cho, 40, shared a story about a bereaved family member of a victim of crime, who sent a text message of gratitude to the entire staff of “Signal.”

“Everyone at the scene cried out loud,” he said. “I had to act with grave responsibility, in order not to ignore the message.

“Signal,” he hoped, was the most remarkable series of his acting career, considering the range of emotions he experienced. 

Cho added he could overcome the depression by acting in “Entourage Korea,” where he acts manager of TV celebrity Kim Eun-gab, a role he described as “bright” character.

“I don’t have to shed blood anymore,” he said. “Fellow actors are delightful. I was eager to act in ‘Entourage Korea’ when I was offered the role. I just wanted to enjoy the filming.”

By Son Ji-hyoung (json@heraldcorp.com)

@rubie Thank you for sharing JJW's interview. Truly inspiring and sobering to know just how much Signal impacted him as an actor, the seriousness with which he viewed it his responsibility to the drama and the lives it represents, justice; and even more to realise the kind of impact it has on the families of victims, and how it becomes a voice for them. I am sad that he suffered depression after filming it, and glad that he found the right countermeasure by taking on a far happier role in Entourage. Still continuing to hope that one day, when scriptwriter KEH, PD KWS, the cast and crew are ready, they will gift us with Season 2, enabling us to reunite with the characters and universe that has defined the standards to which I measure my viewing fare post-Signal. Truly miss them...

December 12, 2016

[HanCinema Awards] Scene Stealers - Cast Your Vote! HERE :w00t:

photo794923.png

Lee Je-hoon ("Signal") as the jaded consultant who discovers a link to the past and a key to solving murders portrays the changes in Hae-young over the course of the drama with alacrity.

photo794922.jpg

Jo Jin-woong ("Signal") was stellar as a morally straight-shooting detective who works through his long years as a detective to make the world a better place.

2 hours ago, liddi said:

@rubie Thank you for alerting us to HanCinema's polls! I've voted in both polls that they are featured in. I did stare in disbelief that JJW was not nominated at all in Best Actor in a Drama... seriously? :blink:

an award event without Jo jin woong as one of the best actor nomination is unvalid. well, maybe i'm too biased.. or no..

Archived