[Drama 2016] Signal 시그널

larus

12 hours ago, yonaomi123 said:

Seriously loving this drama so far even though it's really making me scratch my head at the timelines.:crazy: 

Head scratching is going to be an unconscious habit with this drama lol

Timeline? What is the future here-2016? The present here-2015?

Current “real” setting so far is 2015. Lee Jae Han of year 2000 knows Park Hae Young (:Palmost wrote Hae Jin again) of 2015/future but not vise versa.

Because of this, Park Hae Young of 2015 knows Lee Jae Han of 1989 but not vise verse which I wholeheartedly accept because it is just too creepy considering Hae Young has to have just been born around that time/year (at 1123pm?? Nov23??)  :blink:

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome ^__^

@liddi Yes, you worded it better than I could ever but that's exactly my question : "Does that then mean we are seeing multiple timelines in effect, seeing the PHY of today had just contacted LJH?" and if it's the case, we're up for a true cerebral exercise while watching this drama. I just hope, like most of you here, that they will offer some sort of explanation instead of a simple "it just happened".

@liddi - I just mentioned about not getting into the science fiction stuff but your comment made me do quick searches on the space time continuum and quantum physics. Man, I even ventured into a lecture given by Stephen Hawking on the creation of time warps. Anyway, I think we're dealing with temporal paradoxes or time travel which are apparently "governed" by two theories - the causal loop and the grandfather paradox. 

In the causal loop theory - it is time travel that occurs when a future event is the cause of a past event, which in turn is the cause of the future event. Both events exist in time but their origin cannot be determined. The causal loop maybe an event, a person, an object or information. 

The consistency paradox or the grandfather paradox occurs when a future event prevents the occurrence of a past event that was partly or entirely the cause of the future event, thereby preventing the future event from occurring thus creating a contradiction. Grandfather paradoxes occur whenever changing the past is possible. (Courtesy of Wikipedia)

I think the drama is following the grandfather paradox theory in time travel, there is only one timeline and communication between LJH and PHY are via time warps represented by their two way radios. If mutiverses were involved, then they would have to show us different incarnations of LJH and PHY, yet we're given time jumps, so I think it's in one timeline rather than parallel timelines. Hehe. Anybody more familiar with these theories, kindly share your input. :)  

Guest Tinkiebell
5 hours ago, eunsuhae said:

I'm trying to avoid spoilers for episode 2 but what I've gathered so far is that our detectives not only contact each from different timelines but that it also happens in a non-chronological order? Wow, this adds even more layers of complexity because even in Nine, both timelines progressed forward simultaneously with an unchanging 20-year gap so it was relatively easy to understand the logic of how past events influenced present ones but here, oh God it's gonna beg the question of when does everything start?

I have yet to go back home and check but if it's really a future Hae-young who told Jae-han about the abandoned hospital, we know it's an information he acquired when present Hae-young "first" (from HY's perspective) entered in contact with Jae-han who told him about it then, an information Jae-han acquired from HY himself which means HY and JH and we as viewers are witnessing a timeline (or timelines?) that's been already altered without knowing where it's really started!

I don't know if my words are making sense, I'm not sure of what I've written myself. This is crazy :crazy:

Good catch. JH got his information about the abandoned hospital from future (for us, present) HY indeed.

Have you watched episode 2 yet? 

Spoiler

In episode 2 we get to see that in what we believe to be JH's last communication with HY in 2000 (JH's timeline), JH told HY that they'll meet again through the radio transmission, but the year would be 1989 (again, JH's timeline), and that when that happens, HY must convince him (the JH from the year 1989). 

So, looking from the perspective of JH's timeline, the first radio transmission for JH was back in 1989 and the last one in 2000. While for HY, it's the other way around. Measuring it from JH's timeline, for HY, the first radio transmission started in 2000 and goes backwards to 1989. 

Mind boggling, but very intriguing. I'd love to see where the writer is going to take us with this. And I have the feeling that the one event that triggered all this was JH and HY's collision on the stairs in the year 2000.  

Hey guys!  I loved the first episode.  tight, gripping, and interesting set up.  The second one was not as good, but still kept my interest.  I do thin the radio is the same one used that was used by LJH.  I also think grandfather theory is more likely since one of the premise of the show is that you can change the past to change the future.

But now we face a chicken and the egg problem with the timelines since the past and future has already changed once.  I am not sure if there are multiple timelines or loops but for simplicity, I am just going to call it timelines.  I don't know how to do spoiler so stop reading if you don't want to know what happened in episode 2.

Spoiler

Timeline 1:  The girl's mystery probably did not get solved.

Timeline 2:  LJH received info from PHY at some point to go to the hospital.  PHY hears for the "first" time LJH in the transmission in ep. 1.  PHY goes there and they catch the narcisstic nurse.  LJH's superiors think of LJH as a solitary cop who doesn't like to work with a team.  When LJH finished presenting and we meet CSH for the first time, she just entered the homicide division as a rookie.  It seemed like it was her first day.

Timeline 3:  PHY accidentally gives location of the 8th, 9th and 10th victims of the serial killer to LJH, who heard from PHY for the "first" time, and accidentally finds the 8th victim before she actually died.  Future changes with acceleration of killings for the 9th and 10th victims.  

Timeline 4?:  In episode 2, CSH and LJH have to participate in a photo school for the police.  Now it seems like CSH has already entered LJH"s homicide division.  

Additional theories:  LJH also took pictures of the victims and those photos make it to PHY in the future so he can do a profile assessment. I wonder if LJH did so because PHY told him to do so.  The interruption of the elderly looking at the photos of men in the surrounding area may have interrupted who the elderly picks; does that affect PHY's brother who was wrongfully accused?

ah while watching the beginning of episode 2 with interrogation of nurse yoon. whole time i was like hae young you should've change the clock on the wall in the room ahead of the statute limitation to make nurse yoon think it's over and get a confession out of her. but it's a good thing they got her on the other murder of bf.

4 minutes ago, shizniz00 said:

ah while watching the beginning of episode 2 with interrogation of nurse yoon. whole time i was like hae young you should've change the clock on the wall in the room ahead of the statute limitation to make nurse yoon think it's over and get a confession out of her. but it's a good thing they got her on the other murder of bf.

LOL. I thought the exact same thing. I think we've probably been watching the same dramas. :D 

But no, they couldn't have done it. There wasn't much time left to fool her. I imagine she had her eye on the time. If they had caught her a day or even 12 hours beforehand and put her in a dark room and knocked her out, maybe. ;)

I'm not even sure why they had a 15 year statute of limitations in the first place.

54 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

LOL. I thought the exact same thing. I think we've probably been watching the same dramas. :D 

But no, they couldn't have done it. There wasn't much time left to fool her. I imagine she had her eye on the time. If they had caught her a day or even 12 hours beforehand and put her in a dark room and knocked her out, maybe. ;)

I'm not even sure why they had a 15 year statute of limitations in the first place.

She wore a watch there. It can be seen more clearly when she was handcuffed

3 minutes ago, flybabyfly said:

She wore a watch there. It can be seen more clearly when she was handcuffed

I love how in kdramaland, everyone's watches/clocks are always synchronised, be it digital or otherwise, whether law enforcer, perpetrator or even someone in the past. I can't even achieve that feat in my own home :P 

How do they concede that time has run out though, especially if it is down to the second? Did CSH determine that based on the clock on the wall of the interrogation room?

12 minutes ago, liddi said:

I love how in kdramaland, everyone's watches/clocks are always synchronised, be it digital or otherwise, whether law enforcer, perpetrator or even someone in the past. I can't even achieve that feat in my own home :P 

How do they concede that time has run out though, especially if it is down to the second? Did CSH determine that based on the clock on the wall of the interrogation room?

Lol so true! Everyone's clocks/watches tells the same time. Their clocks are amaazing :lol:

Speaking of time, Hae Young only said the ‘where’ regarding the 7th and 8th victim. He did not mention the when for the 8th but Jae Han managed to get there on time. Hae Young didn’t get to reveal the details on the 9th and 10th victims either.

3 hours ago, liddi said:

I can't even get my iPhone and iPad to sync in time. :P

One second, two minutes, 10 minutes... Pfft... what's the difference? 

I am so in. Brilliant start, Show!

On the 11:23 pm or 23:23, Of course I googled it and the result includes interesting stuff:

1. a verse from Bible, Matthew 23:23

“Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint and dill and cumin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness. These you ought to have done, without neglecting the others.

2. The 23 Enigma, which refers to the belief that most incidents and events are directly connected to number 23. 23 is an Eisenstein prime with no imaginary part and real part of the form 3n − 1

Persuade him, persuade him to what??

To trust? That Lt.Park is really from the future and to believe in him? Believe in what he says so they can help change history or at least save the lives of those people whose murders would otherwise remain unsolved forever? 

If I were Jae Han in 1989 and someone just rattles off those case details and perhaps introduce himself as from 2015, I’d wonder if I was hearing voices now or something much, much worse.

3 days to go...

Finally watched episode 2 last night and the questions keep piling up one on top of the other. It was admittedly slower and less intense than the first but I enjoyed it just the same as it allowed us a glimpse to our characters lives and the possible connection between all three of them.
 I don't know where to start (just like the time loops :D ) so here are my thoughts as they come to mind :

1. I'm going to start with a minor complaint. I wanted to wave it off but I couldn't, not when I saw the mother's despair and her agony seeing her daughter's case remain unresolved when she waited for that moment for 15 years. Even if the culprit was caught anyway for a different murder, I expected at least answers. Why did the killer nurse have to kill the girl? If she wanted attention & money, there were just as "flashy" and less complicated/compromising methods than going through what I imagine to be a meticulous process of deciding on a victim, locating her school, observing her and deducing her schedule, maybe even befriending her and convincing her to come with her after waiting in the rain! What could possibly explain all this? Alas, we were given no satisfying answer.

2. Now onto the good parts. Though the countdown to the last second of the statute of limitations had me holding my breath, the logical part of me wished the culprit wouldn't fall for the trick. Not that I wanted her to get away with it but for someone who had been playing mind games with the police for 15 years, it would have been a stretch for her to crumble just like that in mere seconds. I was delighted to see the show keep her character, well, in character and in accordance to what we had seen. The last twist that allowed them to finally get her was smart, I loved it as well as the ensuing debate on the issue of statute of limitations that occured in real life too it seems.

3. About PHY. His tragic past (that I'm extremely curious about & suspecting to be yet another link connecting PHY and LJH) might explain why he joined the police. However what I don't understand is why PHY has become a useless cop (as we saw in the beginning of the first episode), making him no better than the very policemen he resented and despised. He only became determined when he found a new clue related to a case he was personally involved in. But before that? There was no sign that he was the kind to work hard to enforce law and bring justice. Maybe he meant to make a change upon first joining the police but then became aloof and indifferent after realising to what extent the whole system was rotten and corrupt? I don't know, I'd like to see more on this matter.

4. As expected, my heart is already aching for LJH. Getting to know more about him, seeing what kind of person he was, CHS's lingering feelings for him after so long, his father, etc. when we know he's already dead or at least missing is hard to watch.

5. It's funny that the creation of the cold cases squad came to be seemingly because the government is finally relenting under the public's pressure and answering their demands that cold cases be reinvestigated when it's only an excuse to appease people's wrath and in the same time an oppotunity to "punish" those who put them in this situation. The new team's first assignment being an unsolvable case only confirms that. There is no real intention for any change whatsoever.

6. Is it a coincidence that the 8th victim happened to be someone LJH had a crush on? Or was it predestined to be that way as a part of this twisted game of fate and time and space that seems beyond anyone's comprehension? I feel these are questions that will accompany us during the totality of the show. I hope answers will be provided, if not for all, at least for some of them.

Eh, I better stop here before this montser gets bigger.

3 hours ago, eunsuhae said:

Why did the killer nurse have to kill the girl?

CMIIW.  Didn't the nurse "confess" that she did not kill the girl? Could the nurse be just a part of a bigger and more sinister happenings in the Psych Hospital? Because  LJH was stopped by someone else (or was it the nurse?) when investigating the man-hole..

Thanks to the moderator who put my post in spoiler since I really don't know how to do it and failed trying.

Yes, I was wrong in saying he told info about ninth and tenth murders. I saw the scene again. Still interesting that past can be changed somewhat with consequences.

1 hour ago, allegramente said:

CMIIW.  Didn't the nurse "confess" that she did not kill the girl? Could the nurse be just a part of a bigger and more sinister happenings in the Psych Hospital? Because when LJH was stopped by someone else (or was it the nurse?) when investigating the man-hole.. 

@eunsuhae The nurse killed the girl because of her narcissic disorder. She is someone who needs attention and admiration. The more they get attention, the better! That's why she bought or asked her boyfriend for flashy, expensive stuff! She acted selfishly. Her boyfriend wasn't enough for her since he couldn't fill her needs: buy stuff for her, love her... people such a huge narcissic disorder always want more. She must have thought, if she had a child and acted as a "surrogate" mother, it would satisfy her! Therefore she waited for any child who would be alone after school. But I can imagine that that little girl asked at some point for her mother, but this upset the nurse. The girl must have started crying and disobeying which irked the nurse! She felt disrespected and insulted and she must have hurt the girl in a rage! To me, it is pretty clear that she must have killed her because of the girl's behaviour. After her misdeed she realised what she had done but was caught by her boyfriend! IT was said that the girl died in a cruel way implying that Ms. Yoo acted because of her emotions (rage, hatred aso for not getting what she had wanted in the first place: attention, care, aso). 

Archived