[Drama 2016] Signal 시그널

larus

@ina111 Thank you so much for your translation - now the plaque makes sense! And the 18-year-old brother statement is actually accurate in terms of East Asian age calculation, whereby newborns start at age one (i.e. the first year of their life), and on their first birthday, they are considered to be in the 2nd year of their life, i.e. age two. As such, PHY's brother at 17 years old, is actually considered to be age 18 by East Asian calculations.

And thank you so much for pointing out that the very act of (inadvertently) tampering with history and saving the 8th victim, actually resulted in the accelerated deaths of the last two victims. I didn't even notice until you mentioned it... and this is certainly an ominous sign for the altered future.

As for LJH not necessarily being dead in 2000, seeing he was supposedly discharged from service in 2001... could it be that the higher ups e.g. Director Kim and Chief Ahn tampered with police records to indicate a supposedly innocent explanation for his absence, 6 months after his disappearance? 

@bebebisous33 That is an intriguing thought... that LJH and PHY are linked because of the note that the latter accidentally dropped. Although his account about the perpetrator being a woman appeared not to have been taken seriously by LJH either, that could very well be the reason why they are connected, with him being attacked while investigating the case, and PHY's unending guilt over it.

@40somethingahjumma I never thought of the walkie-talkie creating a form of time loop... but that could be it! And come to think of it, could the walkie-talkie in the present be the same walkie-talkie LJH used to communicate with PHY in the past... thus acting as a conduit between the two timelines? I wonder too if the timelines are parallel... similar to Nine. Really hope that the concept in this universe is convincingly explained going forward.

How many more days to Friday?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Noted several CITT friends here. Let me hug you jagiyas~~~~~~~

I had no idea this series would be amazingly superb!

I feel like watching american crime drama with korean actors yeay! (counting this statement as a compliment)

1 hour ago, flybabyfly said:

Wasn’t there a crying woman being pulled by the police? My thought was that was their mother and that it was she who committed suicide while his brother was imprisoned then executed (death penalty) for whatever crime it was accused on him. 

What courage (and a healthy dose of guilt) he had to still go to the police and attempt to tell them what he knew despite the institution’s connection to his family’s tragedy.

I just remembered what it was niggling in my mind. It was a school and a primary school at that but where were the teachers?? Hello dramaland! 

That could be the mother who killed herself! That's definitely possible! But this means, he must have been raised by his father! Because I can't imagine, he was living on his own!

7 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

The second episode 2 was great... sure, there was less tension, but this episode reveals the connection between the past and the future!

@liddi There must be a Park HY from the future because of the note from the episode 1 left by PHY. The PHY from 2015 had no idea about him giving the clue to Lee! It was for him their first contact! However the detective Lee had already been in touch with Park (note, the warning!) PHY from 2015 hears the gunshot and Lee died in 2001. 

My guess is.. a time will come when Inspector lee will have to be convinced for sthg by PHY (as he mentioned in ep 2 and asked PHY to do..) ..so as a convincing he will share the manhole info with him..

Guest Tinkiebell

Watched the first 2 episodes and I'm totally hooked. "Memories of Murder" is one of the few movies who put South Korea in the cinematic map back then, and it's really good to see such a solid adaptation of the movie (or the Hwaseong serial murder case) as presented in Signal, with an added twist. Looking forward to seeing the next episode!  

Agreed with every opinion here, I just hope they really explain it well how they are able to communicate with each other using that walkie talkie, and seems that Lee Jae Han already contacted with PHY before and how did Lee Jae Han knows that the next that will be contacted by PHY is 1989 Lee Jae Han, I somewhat think that the officer in-charge of case of PHY family before who I think one of cold cases they will solve is the team of Lee Jae Han, they somewhat have that connection for them to be able to contact each other 

Everyone keep on mentioning about the movie Frequency so I need to check it,

8 minutes ago, ILYSM08 said:

Agreed with every opinion here, I just hope they really explain it well how they are able to communicate with each other using that walkie talkie, and seems that Lee Jae Han already contacted with PHY before and how did Lee Jae Han knows that the next that will be contacted by PHY is 1989 Lee Jae Han, I somewhat think that the officer in-charge of case of PHY family before who I think one of cold cases they will solve is the team of Lee Jae Han, they somewhat have that connection for them to be able to contact each other 

Seriously loving this drama so far even though it's really making me scratch my head at the timelines.:crazy: 

I am assuming that because of whatever time travel laws exist in Signal's universe, Lee Jae Han definitely had been in contact with PHY for a long amount of time. As they showed in the second episode, the walkie-talkie turns on again in the past (after PHY hears Lee Jae Han being presumably shot dead).  If someone had been mysteriously contacting me through a walkie-talkie and telling me about the 'future', I definitely would've remembered the day, month, year, and probably the hour.  :D 

Drama Following “Reply 1988″ Is off to a Strong Start

signal1.jpg

The tvN drama “Signal” is off to a strong start, following in the same time slot as fan-favorite “Reply 1988.”

“Signal” has only aired two episodes so far, but has already reached a peak of 8.3 percent in the viewer ratings, with an average of 7.3 percent. This is a 1 percent increase from the drama’s pilot episode rating, which averaged at about 6.3 percent.

signal2

The drama is a special project for tvN’s 10th anniversary. “Signal” is about detectives from the past and present who communicate via a walkie-talkie to solve a cold case. It is inspired by a series of real murders that took place in Korea’s Gyeonggi Province from 1986 to 1991.

“Signal” airs Fridays and Saturdays at 8:30 p.m. KST.

Credit : http://www.soompi.com/2016/01/24/drama-following-reply-1988-is-off-to-a-strong-start/

Wow, I knew the drama was quite complex but didn't know to what extent. I had a feeling that since the 8th victim was saved there's a change of events so thanks for confirming my suspicions that the subsequent deaths are accelerated.

I'm also interestein the whereabouts of Lee Jae-han and if this drama is anything like other dramas, I wouldn't be surprised that his disappearance is related to Hae-young's brother's death. I'm suspecting that Jae-han is missing and perceived as dead. I'd like to think he's in coma somewhere but I doubt the police force wants to foot in the bills.

I haven't read the whole thread so I might've missed out on something, but has there been any explanations as to why the past scenes are distorted? I highly doubt it was an accident since it's consistent jn the two episodes and previews. My guess is to mimick the rendering of old movies which oftentimes gets stretched in the process. But I was wondering if the production crew has said anything about it.

A little less than three hours flew right by me and now I have to wait for episode 3 plus it's a Monday! Ottoke!?! 

I'm not much into the science fiction but parallel universes, breaks in the space time continuum and time loops, I'm kinda familiar with because of the CW's The Flash. I enjoyed watching the first two episodes, I feel like I'm just about ready to buy everything that they'll feed us because this drama is smartly written, they don't treat us, the viewers, like we're three year olds and as if they're daring us to catch on. So I say, bring it on Signal. Lol. 

It does seem like an older version of PHY must have started it all. LJH was shunned by the other policemen because of his meticulous fact checking and probably, his hunches almost always paid off. But I suppose he was using his instincts then and was using information given to him by an older version of PHY. I guess, maybe something happened to future PHY which was why he had to return back in time and correct something which was why we saw a young PHY all by his lonesome? Time travel and its attendant scenarios can be confusing but there are usually valid explanations.

I'm seeing familiar posters, hello @liddi @40somethingahjumma @andy78 @bebebisous33 @irilight @evie7 *waves*

was reading on the infamous murders..

So, i dont get this psychologically.. this killer kills 10 women .. more than 21000 police force were employed to find the culprit..yes they minshandled evidence and didnt do their best..and were in question..

But the killer...no one knows who did it.. and he just stopped after killing 0 women?..if its a serial killer thing..his lust for killing subsided just like that :(

@bebebisous33, thank you for answering some of my questions (pg.13), regarding PHY, and the abductor woman. Makes sense to me...!  I think I will rewatch ep. 1 too.

OMG. Your comments made me realize that DramaFever uploaded episode 2. !
That is so unusual for them.  Usually they post Saturday's episode on Mondays. 
Heading there now.

thank you !

Hello everyone! :D

I see many familiar people, this place already feels like home and this is where I will be camping for the next weeks.

I finally got to watch the first episode last night and though it took me a while to really get into the story and characters, my heart was palpitating and I was at the edge of my seat bed actually lool by the end of the episode when they were hunting down the murderer while running out of time. That was brilliant and that rush of emotions and adrenaline is what I'm here for. Oh and those time jumps were so smooth and smart, A+ to Mr director.

There were heart-wrenching moments especially the scenes with the mother and that part about cold cases and the grief of victims families, it hit me hard, I love that kind of commentary. I'm also glad to see the incompetence of the korean police and the corruption of law enforcers being addressed.

I'm not sure yet but it looks like our Lee Jae-han is no longer alive in the present days? It's making me sad already. It's going to be hard to see our characters interact and probably bond in the strangest circumstances with that knowledge in mind.

I don't know if this is relevant but somehow I found myself thinking back to Missing Noir M and wondering "what would Gil Soo-hyun do?" :D I guess I'm not over that show yet (will I ever be?).

Ok with this random thought, this comment comes to an end.

A little first impressions on my blog :)

First Take: Signal

signal4.jpg

What an intense 2 hours of television! I was on the edge of my seat for the premiere week ofSignal, tvN's latest crime thriller offering. It may be because I don't often watch thriller shows, but it may also be because this is a great show. So a thriller will be among my watch list this season. I think I should get myself ready for all the spine chilling moments that will come in my future.

I'm trying to avoid spoilers for episode 2 but what I've gathered so far is that our detectives not only contact each from different timelines but that it also happens in a non-chronological order? Wow, this adds even more layers of complexity because even in Nine, both timelines progressed forward simultaneously with an unchanging 20-year gap so it was relatively easy to understand the logic of how past events influenced present ones but here, oh God it's gonna beg the question of when does everything start?

I have yet to go back home and check but if it's really a future Hae-young who told Jae-han about the abandoned hospital, we know it's an information he acquired when present Hae-young "first" (from HY's perspective) entered in contact with Jae-han who told him about it then, an information Jae-han acquired from HY himself which means HY and JH and we as viewers are witnessing a timeline (or timelines?) that's been already altered without knowing where it's really started!

I don't know if my words are making sense, I'm not sure of what I've written myself. This is crazy :crazy:

22 hours ago, liddi said:

@40somethingahjumma I never thought of the walkie-talkie creating a form of time loop... but that could be it! And come to think of it, could the walkie-talkie in the present be the same walkie-talkie LJH used to communicate with PHY in the past... thus acting as a conduit between the two timelines? I wonder too if the timelines are parallel... similar to Nine. Really hope that the concept in this universe is convincingly explained going forward.

How many more days to Friday?

Well, it's just me thinking out loud at this stage. ;) The reality is that we still don't know all that much about how the whole time crossing element works. However, the walkie-talkie is the point of origin/contact and appears to act as the portal/bridge between the two time periods. How the walkie-talkie came to be, is a lot more tricky. ;) I suppose it is possible for the PHY from a parallel universe to have made an initial visit to Det Lee but that doesn't seem to be what Ep. 2 is indicating at this point. At various points in their lives, both men are unaware that the other exists which is why I'm inclined to think a temporal loop is occurring within the same timeline which is why the changes are immediately effective. I think the body disappearing from the photo suggests that although some may argue that the existence of the photo itself should be obliterated. 

It probably won't matter at the end of the day how screwy the whole temporal mechanism is, because I suspect the endgame is about second chances, changing history. Some things could change but perhaps not the big events which are fixed. Det Lee is mysteriously missing. I'm assuming he was shot and killed that day... his body hidden somewhere by the culprit. Could something like that be reversed or prevented?

Welcome to all the new people... many familiar names... :) Good to see you all.

@eunsuhae -- I'm still waiting for Missing Noir M Part 2. 

On 24/01/2016 at 5:47 PM, ina111 said:

I thought it was interesting that LJH managed to save the life of the 8th victim, but in turn accelerated the deaths of the 9th and 10th. I'm hoping that those two victims will somehow be saved as well. A couple of screencaps that show the changes on the whiteboard:

I did not even notice those changes! Accelerated for the next two victims. That’s scary. Who knows what goes on in those people’s head but my guess would be the failed killing made that person frustrated and kill with more urgency.

I hope those two did not die because LJH was put in jail by those cops in that precinct for seeming like a wacko or nuisance with his talking about the walkie-talkie.

@drmjs @eunsuhae Hi! Welcome and so good to see you here!

@drmjs Love how you spoke about the drama not insulting the intelligence of viewers... and I hope and pray that it continues to deliver on a cerebral and emotional level. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I cannot even begin to describe my utter joy to see this drama which I have anticipated for so long, to be leaps and bounds better than I had dared hope.

@eunsuhae From what I recall, LJH only referred to his informant regarding Sunil Psychiatric Hospital as a Lieutenant Park. While there is no definite certainty who that is, I think it can only be future PHY, armed with the knowledge of the case, telling LJH pre-Aug 2000 about where to find Seo Hyung Joon's body. However, does that then mean we are seeing multiple timelines in effect, seeing the PHY of today had just contacted LJH? 

@40somethingahjumma I may be wrong, but I believe that as the 8th victim was saved, the photo of the original victim morphed to that of the 9th (having now become the 8th victim in the newly altered reality). Hence the photos still remain, only the victims changed. Ultimately, we need understanding of what laws are at play in this universe, to hopefully try and make some sense of it... and I truly hope this will be properly explained.

And likewise, I too am hoping and praying for Missing Noir M and Bad Guys Season 2.

Archived