[Drama 2015/2016] The Merchant : Gaekju 2015 장사의 신-객주 2015 | Wed/Thur 10 PM KST

Prettysup

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Prettysup

Thank you for the info.  You said the sea cucumber tasted chewy.  Does it feel like the typical meat such as chicken or pork?  I am so curious.  It was mentioned in the drama that the Chinese ( Qing ) valued dried sea cucumber more than wild ginseng. And you also said this was festival food and not cheap.
Do you think they sell this in a Chinese or Korean supermarket?  I can't stop my curiosity until I experiment it...

Yes it is available in Chinese markets. It tastes quite different from chicken or pork. I don't really know how to describe it haha.. And like gerrytan mentioned, it can be cooked in a dish known as 'Buddha jumps over the wall' but sometimes we can also eat it on its own just cook with some mushrooms and in a soup.

@SMP567

As Cheon Bong Sam tells the Magistrate that Sea Cucumber (海参 known in the drama Heuk Chung 충,黑蟲literally black worm, explained in caption as Dried Sea Cucumber 말린 해삼)

Above Ginseng (Insam 人參,인삼cultivate) is Mountain Ginseng (Sansam,山参, 산삼, wild), above Mountain Ginseng is Sea Cucumber (Haesam,海参,해삼)

"Has anyone tried it before? "

Yes, in a very expensive soup called Buddha's Temptation (佛跳墙,불도장, literally Buddha Jump over the Wall) You may not find this soup serving in Korea, since in 1989, the Jogye Order (Korea Buddhist sect) has strongly opposed the selling of the dish because the name is considered a blasphemy to Buddhism 

@gerrytan8063  So this is original Korean cuisine but we can't find it in Korea these days. 
Can we find it outside Korea in a Chinese restaurant or in a supermarket ? I'll check it out at the Korean supermarket I often shop this weekend. It'll be so interesting to touch food that looks like a black worm. Since I have never eaten a worm, I can't stop thinking what it tastes like.

By the way, that little boy certainly shows his innocent intelligence at his early age. He does not want to be a merchant but he sure has merchant ears, brain, and gut. 

@Prettysup

Thank you for the info.  You said the sea cucumber tasted chewy.  Does it feel like the typical meat such as chicken or pork?  I am so curious.  It was mentioned in the drama that the Chinese ( Qing ) valued dried sea cucumber more than wild ginseng. And you also said this was festival food and not cheap.
Do you think they sell this in a Chinese or Korean supermarket?  I can't stop my curiosity until I experiment it...

Yes it is available in Chinese markets. It tastes quite different from chicken or pork. I don't really know how to describe it haha.. And like gerrytan mentioned, it can be cooked in a dish known as 'Buddha jumps over the wall' but sometimes we can also eat it on its own just cook with some mushrooms and in a soup.

Thanks again  @Prettysup   I guess I just have to try it out to really know.  Looking at the pictures I found online, it reminds me of a kind of Japanese snack called Karintou.

suzu03.jpg

brown sugar karintou ( sweet crunchy snack )

@SMP567

"So this is original Korean cuisine but we can't find it in Korea these days.

"Buddha's Temptation (佛跳墙,불도장) is a Chinese cuisine soup dish that had its origins from the Fujian Province in China, & is not Korean

13120008723G_intr_b_10_131210184448.jpg

Ingredient that goes into Buddha's Temptation (佛跳墙,불도장), on the background of the bowl is the sea cucumber

It is a revere dish in Taiwan especially during the lunar holidays 

[Spoilers] The Merchant (PILOT)

Hidden Content

Xports News - Naver: 'The Merchant', Thirst of money ends breaks off a son and a father

1. [+524, -26] I love it because there's no idols

2. [+449, -22] Freaking awesome lineup of supporting cast! It'll get more interesting next week ㅎㅎ

3. [+205, -20] Didn't Park Gun Tae played Galchi in 'I'm Sorry, I Love You'?? He grew up well

4. [+80, -1] Wow the younger actors are all so good at acting. Kim Seung Soo is also impressive. Seems like Gil Haeng Soo's son will avenge him.

5. [+61, -2] So good ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ Today's acting was daebak. And the grown-up actors will appear starting next week ㅋㅋㅋㅋ Jang Hyuk's dramas are always loved by the public

6. [+42, -5] Idols need to watch and learn from these people. It won't be too long until Jang Hyuk appears

7. [+43, -8]  I can't wait to see the grown-up cast

8. [+26, -2] Great drama. I got over excited seeing Jang Hyuk in the preview

9.  [+23, -1] That kid's acting is on another level ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

Cr: kkuljaem

That first comment tho! :D

Yes, finally drama with no idols but good young actors it seems. Wooh.

Watching raw right now.

Just finished watching raw. Congratulate me. For the first time.. I watch a historical period costume drama. And it's raw.. thank you very much! :phew::sweatingbullets:

I just sat and watch not understanding anything.. but ok not without a hitch.. I ff towards the end of ep 1. But I'll be able to watch the sub once kbsworld premiere this on Sept 30. So I'll re watch again I think.

Comment 5 and 6 from the above quote. I agree with. Daebak acting by the youngsters. And  some times.. its from them that others (like some idols) can learn too.

So... do I continue watching the drama?????. I never and don't watch historical drama cos my interest just loses steam after a while. It's just me though. I like action crime thriller OCN type.

Ok.. I'll probably watch 3 and 4  to see the lead star.

Just finished watching raw. Congratulate me. For the first time.. I watch a historical period costume drama. And it's raw.. thank you very much! :phew::sweatingbullets:

I just sat and watch not understanding anything.. but ok not without a hitch.. I ff towards the end of ep 1. But I'll be able to watch the sub once kbsworld premiere this on Sept 30. So I'll re watch again I think.

Comment 5 and 6 from the above quote. I agree with. Daebak acting by the youngsters. And  some times.. its from them that others (like some idols) can learn too.

So... do I continue watching the drama?????. I never and don't watch historical drama cos my interest just loses steam after a while. It's just me though. I like action crime thriller OCN type.

Ok.. I'll probably watch 3 and 4  to see the lead star.

Congratulations!!!

I also also a fan of OCN type of action thrillers, my favorites including Bad Guys and My beautiful bride.

I think this drama will have some pretty exciting action going on too, since the lead is Jang Hyuk and we cannot get by without letting him show off some of his awesome fighting skills. Can't wait to see him appear in episodes 3 and 4 !!

@SMP567 @valsava

The word Gaekju (객주,客主) literally translates to "innkeeper merchant," which refers to private or free traders who sold grain wholesale; the word gaekju is no longer used in present-day Korea but was commonly used in the Joseon era.

The story or drama takes place in the late 19th century & hearing the dialogue reflect a lot on the vocabulary, since it a screenplay taken from 10 volume full length novel (장편소설), there will be a lot of footnotes (in drama, the caption), because I don't think that even a native Korean aren't expected to know all the "trading" terminology & designation of the merchants, it may be pretty hard to maintained the flow when there is too many difficult words & I know that KBS World subs will not do any justice for your comprehension

@gerrytan8063,  This for this info and so happy your joining us with this drama.. Even though I'm not familiar with trading terminology it's good to have you around when I don't understand the concept of what they doing.. 

@SMP567 @valsava

The word Gaekju (객주,客主) literally translates to "innkeeper merchant," which refers to private or free traders who sold grain wholesale; the word gaekju is no longer used in present-day Korea but was commonly used in the Joseon era.

The story or drama takes place in the late 19th century & hearing the dialogue reflect a lot on the vocabulary, since it a screenplay taken from 10 volume full length novel (장편소설), there will be a lot of footnotes (in drama, the caption), because I don't think that even a native Korean aren't expected to know all the "trading" terminology & designation of the merchants, it may be pretty hard to maintained the flow when there is too many difficult words & I know that KBS World subs will not do any justice for your comprehension

@gerrytan8063,  This for this info and so happy your joining us with this drama.. Even though I'm not familiar with trading terminology it's good to have you around when I don't understand the concept of what they doing.. 

It will be most likely that I will do the explanation on the caption or the footnote. I will make the comparison or cross reference to the trading ethics to Salt Merchants of Tianjin or the Merchant of Zigong in China based on the entrepreneurial innovation of their trade

Since KBS World is broadcasting this drama on 30th September, it is not necessary for me to do translation on scene

@SMP567 @valsava

It will be most likely that I will do the explanation on the caption or the footnote. I will make the comparison or cross reference to the trading ethics to Salt Merchants of Tianjin or the Merchant of Zigong in China based on the entrepreneurial innovation of their trade

Since KBS World is broadcasting this drama on 30th September, it is not necessary for me to do translation on scene

OK Got It.. 

@Prettysup

"Thanks for the explanations, are you a native Korean?"

No, I am not Korean but have travel to Korea to & fro since 2002 for work & leisure

@SMP567

As Cheon Bong Sam tells the Magistrate that Sea Cucumber (海参 known in the drama Heuk Chung 충,黑蟲literally black worm/slug, explained in caption as Dried Sea Cucumber 말린 해삼)

Above Ginseng (Insam 人參,인삼cultivate) is Mountain Ginseng (Sansam,山参, 산삼, wild), above Mountain Ginseng is Sea Cucumber (Haesam,海参,해삼)

Yes, in a very expensive soup called Buddha's Temptation (佛跳墙,불도장, literally Buddha Jump over the Wall) You may not find this soup serving in Korea, since in 1989, the Jogye Order (Korea Buddhist sect) has strongly opposed the selling of the dish because the name is considered a blasphemy to Buddhism 

I've tasted Buldojang (buddha's temptation) in Korea before! I don't think it's super rare to find it.

Sea cucumber is also not too rare these days, you can often find it in Chinese restaurant. 

@Prettysup

"Thanks for the explanations, are you a native Korean?"

No, I am not Korean but have travel to Korea to & fro since 2002 for work & leisure

@SMP567

As Cheon Bong Sam tells the Magistrate that Sea Cucumber (海参 known in the drama Heuk Chung 충,黑蟲literally black worm/slug, explained in caption as Dried Sea Cucumber 말린 해삼)

I've tasted Buldojang (buddha's temptation) in Korea before! I don't think it's super rare to find it.

Sea cucumber is also not too rare these days, you can often find it in Chinese restaurant. 

Another New Comer Welcome Aboard @gumi

Archived