[Drama 2015/2016] The Merchant : Gaekju 2015 장사의 신-객주 2015 | Wed/Thur 10 PM KST

Prettysup

Ep 38 recap by kjtamuser :

The Merchant Gaekju Episode 38 Recap

Posted on 02/17/2016 by kjtamuser  18 Comments

Sun Dol has a choice to make – stick with the nobles or return to Team Bong Sam.

The Merchant Gaekju Episode 38 Recap

mg_ep38_1b mg_ep38_1aBong Sam (Jang Hyuk) shows Sun Dol the picture. He demands to know why, is living as a merchant so awful that Sun Dol jumped at the chance the Nephew offered? Did the Nephew promise to restore Sun Dol’s family? Sun Dol is hurt that Bong Sam, his friend, would suggest such a thing. Bong Sam counters that he doesn’t know Sun Dol anymore? Is Sun Dol his friend and merchant? Or is he a noble? Bong Sam yells – Who are you? Sun Dol declares he’s Bong Sam’s friend. He cries with the pain of this moment. He admits he couldn’t deny the Nephew’s request, he had to help Queen and country. Bong Sam says even if Sun Dol didn’t intend it, if the Queen rises, Sun Dol is in the web of Nephew, and a noble. With sadness, Bong Sam concludes that Sun Dol has left them. He starts to walk away. Ripped with pain, Sun Dol cries out to Bong Sam – How can you do this to me? Bong Sam turns and bows to the noble and tells him merchants trump power hungry families. He leaves. Sun Dol calls after him.

Wow! Terrific opening scene! I could feel the pain of both men. Bong Sam convinced that Sun Dol was ruined by helping the Nephew, the Queen, etc. Counter that with Sun Dol’s raw pain at Bong Sam’s betrayal. You could hear Sun Dol thinking, I did this one favor to support the Queen, and you are tossing me out like garbage. Kudos to both actors for this superb scene....

To continue reading pls go here : https://kjtamusings.wordpress.com/2016/02/17/the-merchant-gaekju-episode-38-recap/

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I am going to be in the minority... but this drama drove me crazy... it did not go the way I expected. It should have been entitled "Beat Jang Hyuk Every Episode", which is what they did. MW should have died....BS had 1/2 episode of happiness...which sucked.

'The Merchant: Gaekju 2015' Kim Min-jeong lives for Jang Hyeok until the end

photo689725.jpg

The final episode of KBS 2TV's Wednesday & Thursday drama, "The Merchant: Gaekju 2015" showed Mae-wol (Kim Min-jeong)'s unchanging love towards Bong-sam (Jang Hyeok) even after one and half decade passed.

Mae-wol met Bong-sam, who came to see her in 15 years. Bong-same asked Mae-wol, "I'm not going to ask you to sell the land in Noryangjin to me, but please do not sell the land to Haedong company".

Mae-wol asked Bong-same to let her see Yoo-soo. After she met Yoo-soo, she said she would donate the land for the expansion of the school and gave the land to Bong-sam.

Song Hye-kyo and Song Joong-ki's 'Descendants of the Sun' will begin on February 24th as a successor drama of "The Merchant: Gaekju 2015" during the same airtime.

http://www.hancinema.net/spoiler-the-merchant-gaekju-2015-kim-min-jeong-lives-for-jang-hyeok-until-the-end-91547.html

finally ended...i can't wait the new drama on kbs2 !!!

My final thoughts on this drama..to much misery..sob

Heartbreaking for Choi Dol to give his life for Bong Sam  "greater love hath no man"..when he called himself a 'nobody' & a 'dummy', O my gosh, my heart hurt.. he may have been a simple man & uneducated (he even got on my nerves at times)  but who would not want him as a friend ..he is loyal, faithful, courageous, steadfast thru thick & thin..a true  friend..the fact that he was going to die of his wound in no way takes away from his sacrifice..

I was also so sad that Sun Dol stayed on the dark side & that 'no tongue' is still around..I have very mixed feelings about MW..I thought it a bit overboard to shoot Sun Dol..did writernim just want to give him some punishment? It just kind of looked 'thrown-in'..

One thing I was wondering is who BS became (in name)..Chun Bong Sam was 'dead' & CD died  of his wounds, so what identity did BS have..unless I missed something..I know they addressed him as head merchant, but what name did he have ? I would think that was important, no ?

If I make up my own ending, then BS will marry Wol & be happy for the rest of his life..the end

O..I thought it great that after 15 years hardly anyone looked older !

19 hours ago, unnidian said:

My final thoughts on this drama..to much misery..sob

Heartbreaking for Choi Dol to give his life for Bong Sam  "greater love hath no man"..when he called himself a 'nobody' & a 'dummy', O my gosh, my heart hurt.. he may have been a simple man & uneducated (he even got on my nerves at times)  but who would not want him as a friend ..he is loyal, faithful, courageous, steadfast thru thick & thin..a true  friend..the fact that he was going to die of his wound in no way takes away from his sacrifice..

I was also so sad that Sun Dol stayed on the dark side & that 'no tongue' is still around..I have very mixed feelings about MW..I thought it a bit overboard to shoot Sun Dol..did writernim just want to give him some punishment? It just kind of looked 'thrown-in'..

One thing I was wondering is who BS became (in name)..Chun Bong Sam was 'dead' & CD died  of his wounds, so what identity did BS have..unless I missed something..I know they addressed him as head merchant, but what name did he have ? I would think that was important, no ?

If I make up my own ending, then BS will marry Wol & be happy for the rest of his life..the end

O..I thought it great that after 15 years hardly anyone looked older !

Yeah Choi Dol was indeed a very loyal friend that anyone would loved to have. I am glad that the writer at least gave him a flashback montage at the end.

About Bong Sam's identity, it was mentioned that MW sold lands and helped him to reinstate his name? Choi do's execution was just to appease the Japanese. 

Just watched the final ep of this series.  Am happy with the ending but I do have ???

Did Bong Sam marry Wol Yi (maid of SoSa, Bong Sam's wife and Yusu's mother)? SoSa dying she did request Wol Yi to take care of Yu su on her behalf... and it seems like she was asking Wol Yi to be a mother to Yusu.  The last episode ending when Mae-Wol / Gaedong said that Yusu looks like his father Bong Sam...Yusu replied people said he looks like his mother and at that point he looks to Wol Yi and smile and somehow Mae-Wol felt uncomfortable.  Also when Wol Yi and Yusu came out to join Bong Sam to head off... Yusu called out to his father and then can see Bong Sam right hand was on Wol Yi's back... (the gesture is like Bong Sam is holding her back to say...Let's go)... 

Ok...aside from everything... it would be wonderful if the relationship is clearer and of course I am all for  Bong Sam to marry Wol Yi.  

2 hours ago, jojoanna said:

Just watched the final ep of this series.  Am happy with the ending but I do have ???

Did Bong Sam marry Wol Yi (maid of SoSa, Bong Sam's wife and Yusu's mother)? SoSa dying she did request Wol Yi to take care of Yu su on her behalf... and it seems like she was asking Wol Yi to be a mother to Yusu.  The last episode ending when Mae-Wol / Gaedong said that Yusu looks like his father Bong Sam...Yusu replied people said he looks like his mother and at that point he looks to Wol Yi and smile and somehow Mae-Wol felt uncomfortable.  Also when Wol Yi and Yusu came out to join Bong Sam to head off... Yusu called out to his father and then can see Bong Sam right hand was on Wol Yi's back... (the gesture is like Bong Sam is holding her back to say...Let's go)... 

Ok...aside from everything... it would be wonderful if the relationship is clearer and of course I am all for  Bong Sam to marry Wol Yi.  

Yeah I get the idea that YuSu was referring to Wol when he said ppl say he looks like his mum. So I think they indeed got married. 

Ep 39 recap by kjtamuser : 

The Merchant Gaekju Episode 39 Recap

Posted on 02/22/2016 by kjtamuser  4 Comments

Bong Sam learns the truth and realizes “the truth hurts”.

The Merchant Gaekju Episode 39 Recap

Sun Dol tells the Nephew that Bong Sam and Mae Wol are going to get married, which will not be to their advantage. The Nephew is surprised that Mae Wol would give up her royal position.

Guess who else is surprised Mae Wol will chuck it all for Bong Sam? Mae Wol’s assistant pleads with Mae Wol (aka Gae Dong (Kim Min Jung)) not to give up the power and position she’s worked so hard to obtain. Mae Wol pushes her aside. The assistant pleads for understanding. Mae Wol says Bong Sam is her dream. She tells the assistant to let her go. Mae Wol is being bold. She is giving up everything for her obsession, Bong Sam. She’s not trying to have her cake and eat it too as So Gae tried to do. 

mg_ep39_1amg_ep39_1b Mae Wol visits the Queen. The Nephew is there. The atmosphere is cold. The Nephew says Mae Wol cannot get married. The Queen is not happy with Mae Wol. The other royal barks a shaman cannot marry. The Queen won’t allow the marriage. Mae Wol pleads, this is her destiny. The Queen counters that Mae Wol’s destiny is to serve the the royal family. Marrying Bong Sam would be unforgivable. The royals leave the room, except the Nephew. He advises Mae Wol to apologize and reverse her course or a death sentence from the King will be her reward. Mae Wol states Bong Sam is her destiny. The Nephew shakes his head and leaves. How many would directly say no to the Queen or King? I have to respect Mae Wol’s willingness to chuck it all for Bong Sam.

Sun Dol meets the merchants. He is pleased with the plan to gather the rice and thereby thwart Bong Sam. His assistant notes rice, cotton, and salt are Bong Sam’s triple focus. Shouldn’t they too thwart Bong Sam by buying the salt and cotton too? Sun Dol rejects this. If they control the rice they win.

Team Bong Sam Merchants discuss who will and won’t sell rice to them. They focus on the undecided territory. Gol Dae worries they don’t have enough cash to purchase rice from the undecided territory. Bong Sam (Jang Hyuk) notes that the starving citizens need the rice, so money isn’t everything, heart and kindness will count too. Man Chi encourages Bong Sam to discuss this with Mae Wol.

When Bong Sam arrives at Mae Wol’s place, he learns that the Queen rejected her request to marry and now Mae Wol is pleading with public approval. Bong Sam is stunned Mae Wol would go so far to marry him.

Mae Wol sits in the rain. The Nephew and Sun Dol note she’s sat there for 4 days. The Nephew can’t understand why she’d give up everything for Bong Sam. Obsession dude, it is obsession you are watching. .......

To continue reading pls go here : https://kjtamusings.wordpress.com/2016/02/22/the-merchant-gaekju-episode-39-recap/

Ep 40 recap by kjtamuser :

The Merchant Gaekju Episode 40 Recap

Posted on 02/24/2016 by kjtamuser  1 Comment

Bong Sam must choose – do the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few?

The Merchant Gaekju Episode 40 Recap

Man Chi decides they need to go to Mae Wol. Gol Dae tries to stop them but the soldiers arrival has them turn and flee. The solider shoot Gol Dae! Bong Sam wakes up when he hears the gun shots. Bong Sam calls to Gol Dae who tells him to run. Bong Sam demands Man Chi put him down. Gol Dae yells run. Man Chi runs. Bong Sam calls out to Gol Dae. The soldiers race after Man Chi, Gom Bae and Bong Sam.

Sun Dol learns the Nephew must go to the palace to explain how the Japanese merchant died at the new store. Sun Dol is furious when the Nephew says the prosecutor, not police, issued a warrant for Bong Sam’s arrest. Sun Dol rightly points out that Bong Sam did not kill the Japanese merchant and should not be arrest. Too bad, so sad, someone must be sacrificed, and it will be Bong Sam, says the Nephew.

mg_ep40_1cmg_ep40_1emg_ep40_1dmg_ep40_1g  Bong Sam and Man Chi and Gom Bae hid from the soldiers. They learn Gol Dae is okay and should be released tomorrow. Their exit path is not clear. Man Chi recommends they hide with Mae Wol. Reluctant but out of options, they go to Mae Wol’s place. Mae Wol tells Bong Sam to hide there as long as he likes. Bong Sam says he’s got a big problem. Hiding won’t make it go away. She reminds him of the paper granting Bong Sam the exclusive rights to sell Ginseng but Bong Sam knows until he confronts her, he can’t concentrate on anything else. He asks Mae Wol if she killed So Sa. Boom! I like the soft way he asked. Mae Wol is stunned and declares it nonsense. Bong Sam tells her he heard everything she said to Sun Dol. She sags. Bong Sam asks if she paid So Gae to kill So Sa. Bong Sam admits the Ginseng is a big deal and will elevate him and allow his dreams to come true. Now he’s raised his voice to firm and direct. He stuns Mae Wol by holding the Ginseng rights over the fire. Mae Wol tells him that will save him, don’t burn it.  Crying he demands to know the truth. He cannot accept the Ginseng if she’s weak. He demands that she tell the truth. Did she kill So Sa? Mae Wol doesn’t answer. Bong Sam answers for her, he knows she can’t lie to herself anymore. The Ginseng is worthless. He burns it. He leaves. Mae Wol stares into the fire then runs after him.

We’ve all waited for this confrontation. Jang Hyuk was impactful when he altered the tenor and cadence of his questions and demands, starting gentle to firm back to gentle with tears in his eyes. Once again, someone he loved and trusted betrayed him and lost their own soul. In a way, that may hurt Bong Sam more, that the girl, Gae Dong, he cared for, evolved into someone that instigated the murder of the love of his life. He doesn’t know this person, but that’s what Mae Wol is, and it hurts.  Kim Min Jung did a good job in the scene too. She trembled with fear knowing that she couldn’t lie but couldn’t admit the truth but that confirmed her guilt.........

To continue reading : https://kjtamusings.wordpress.com/2016/02/24/the-merchant-gaekju-episode-40-recap/

EP 41 recap by kjtamuser : 

The Merchant Gaekju Episode 41 (Final) Recap

Posted on 02/25/2016 by kjtamuser  4 Comments

Bong Sam faces death in this final episode. Is his life snuffed out or does he beat the odds?

The Merchant Gaekju Episode 41 (Final) Recap 

Let’s do this…

mg_ep41_1amg_ep41_1b Bong Sam tells the Merchant that are on the edge of revolt that they need to stop. He willing turned himself in. He encourages them to continue and help each other during this difficult time. He claims he’s not sad, scared, or upset at being screwed by those he once trusted. He asks they put down their weapons. Man Chi leads the way and everyone follows suit. Bong Sam declares the merchants association is closed. Gom Bae won’t agree with that. Man Chi says they will send him off to the prison (aka walk your leader to his death). At the prison Bong Sam bids them farewell and asks them to leave. Man Chi has tears! Bong Sam disappears with Sun Dol and the Nephew.

Bong Sam tells the Nephew he must be the only merchant arrested, the merchants must be given free choice, and Gol Dae must be freed. Bong Sam tells Sun Dol that Gol Dae needs urgent care. Sun Dol agrees to help.

The doctor tends Gol Dae. He tells Sun Dol he’s too late. Gol Dae asks what the doctor said. Sun Dol lies and says he’s fine. Gol Dae says he wants to be buried next to Bong Sam. He knows with the bullet still in his body that he’s doomed to die from complications. Gol Dae, my dear loving lug, once again you are smarter than you look. He asks Sun Dol to lie to Bong Sam.

Bong Sam is convicted and sentenced to death by hanging. Sun Dol is outraged. The Nephew tells Sun Dol he knew this would be the outcome. Stoically Bong Sam walks away to his fate.....

To continue reading pls go here : https://kjtamusings.wordpress.com/2016/02/25/the-merchant-gaekju-episode-41-final-recap/

Archived