[taiwanese Drama] Meteor Garden 1 & 2

Guest shred

I must be the only one on this forum who likes MG2 better than MG1 since I can imagine myself re-watching MG2 whilst re-watching MG1 would seem a chore. But please don't misunderstand, I like MG1 very much, it's just that MG1 was sort of like, an image-setting drama for the F4 characters and MG2 is where they are supposed to really start to live their lives.

Most of the characters in MG1 were 2-dimensional whereas you can see in MG2, the script writer had put in more depth into the characters esp for Hua Zilei, Ximen and Meizhuo. As for Dao Mingsi, his family background and character was fully expounded in MG1 - which was probably why we liked him so much there (apart from the fact that he is so good looking).

MG2's story line giving DMS a fresh start with his loss of memory goes to show that at heart, he is a good person. Without the influence of unlimited wealth and his mother's style of upbringing, his hot temper and pride (which lands him in all sorts of trouble with Shancai in MG1) is absent and turns him into a very sociably acceptable person - witness him making friends with the proprietor of the breakfast shop where he was working and the rest of the staff there.

MG2 also shows us Lei's continued devotion to Shancai by his constant attendance by her side, helping her and her parents in times of trouble, his generosity and consideration for DMS' feelings.

Irritation with the characters from time to time is unavoidable but that's the way the script was written to give us the story of F4 and Shancai. We have to accept that, otherwise the story would just be a revoltingly sweet fairy tale - it is already too unrealistic (it's hard to imagine that anyone in F4 with family background like theirs, would torture themselves to like someone like Shancai - her wilfulness and strength of character, the extent of active parental opposition not to mention the social void would cause many to give up, methinks).

On the whole, there is also the more mature acting by everyone all around.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SHK4ever

I loved MG1 because it was light and fun, some scenes are unforgettable like the one where Shancai was being condescendingly asked to play the piano by DMS's mom, and she did. I remembered my mom encouraging me also to learn to play the piano or the guitar so I would know how to play at least one musical instrument.

I watched MG2 but did not enjoy it as much as MG1. Character-wise MG2 was better because it tried to show depth in the rest of the F4, other than the arrogant, womanizing guys they were projected in MG1 since MG1 focused more on DMS and Shancai and WZL.

Guest gem2461

Oh my... Meteor Garden will be shown again here in the Philippines!!! I think it would be the 4th time? Just seeing the trailer again, I just realized that I still have my Meteor Garden fever...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest roughmetal2

if i'll be asked what's my favorite asian drama, without batting an eyelash i could say MG1. it started my addiction to asian drama and until now, i couldn't get enough of it. well, maybe it's so melodramatic, the cast doesn't act that well yet (they were all practically newbies that time), the production seems low-budgeted and it can be quite dragging. but i love the whole cast esp lei and dao min si. i also love the OST so much that i don't get tired of listening to it.

MG2 is ok but it was so heart-breaking to watch esp when sancai has to give up lei again bcoz of dao min si. i pity lei so much though even if i was in sancai's position, it would really be difficult to decide who to choose between those two hot guys...lolz.

Guest hazeleyes0115

i used to watch this before. MG 1 is so good but MG 2 sucks for me.

so i realized that HYD 1 and 2 are far more better!

• 1 month later...

I love MG........ mostly MG 1 but not MG 2.

My friends and I watched it all day until 4 am..... we didn't want to stop until the end. It was really addictive.....

First, I loved Do Ming Tse but in the end I changed to Hua Ce Lei.... Love Zai Zai.

<English-Subbed> F4 @ SMAP X SMAP

posted by zaije_1209 of www.onlyf4.com

screencaps by kathykat of www.tsinoy.com

(eng-subbed by BakaNoSekai [bNS])

Please abide by the BNS rules in posting the links. Uploading to ONLINE STREAMING is very much prohibited by our group. Thanks. - akame_gurl2304

OMGG LOL. that was so funny :D thanks soo much for sharing! ^^ I miss 'em so much T.T they do too many solo activities, boo:P haha. they're all looking really good ^^ especially Jerry puahaha<3 I know that they're doing a new drama together, but as F3.. or F2 .. but in the video when the people asked them if they could star in a drama as salesmen or something, was that a joke or is that actually the plot of the story that they're aposed to star in?

Guest vic_taebin

i think one of the MAIN reasons why i consider MG1 to be one of my most favorites is becasue everytime i hear the opening song, it brings a happy mood. I love the songs in MG1.

MG is pretty good..i like the mixture of comedy/drama/romance...MG 2-it would have been good for me if it didn't take 10+ epis for the main couple to actually see each other after the accident..then it took 10+ epis to deal with the other woman..and we only got a few epis in the end to feel romance between my main couple..and i just didn't like idea of the guy falling for another woman..it kinda ruin the whole fantasy of the guy just loving one woman in his life...

• 3 months later...

i really like the first season of meteor garden..it was really good...the second season...is just ..blahhhhhh

i think they focused the story TOOO much on DMS and ye sha =(!~ the whole drama was 30 episodes long..n their story basically took up 23 episodes of the drama =__=" did the writer FORGOT that barbie is the main female lead?!?!? -__-"

omg i cant believe i found a thread for this! this is my absolute favourite taiwanese drama ever! i looooooooooooooooooooooooooove dms! i love him! even the opening song qing fei de yi can make me cry! i know its not a sad song but i just love it! i used to play this over and over again. even if i havent watched it in a looooong time, its still my fave! even qing fei de yi is one of all time fave songs! dms! how i miss youuuuu. i love him in that story!

but meteor garden 2! GAH! I DIDNT LIKE IT! I DID NOT LIKE IT AT ALL! that girl! blehhhhh! BLEH BLEH BLEH!

this is seriously one of the best dramas out there! it started my F4 obsession, gah i miss them, the last time i went all crazy over them was after jerry's solo album. aww man! now i wanna watch their concert dvds and all, and listen to their songs. OHMAGAD! I MISS EM! omg this made me actually youtube F4. HAHA

The original MG was so good, I tot the sequel's gonna be the same. There arent many Dao Ming Shi -Shan Cai scenes in MG sequel. I remember hating Yesha with passion, and that Broken Vow song is really haunting. :tears:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest xsilentangel

i just finished meteor garden 1 and i like it a lot.. since noboduy really likes meteor garden 2.. is it worth it to watch?

its so many episodes.. is there a good ending?

if its a sad ending, im definitely not watching since i hate sad endings and i love daoming and shangcai together..

Guest xsilentangel

LOL i just finished the second season and it was SO different.. but i liked the ending...

i missed their fighting and bickering at each other.

season 1 was so much better to me tho

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Guest prisonerzero

So I've watched the Japanese version and I'm on that Korean version bandwagon, so I decided to watch the original when it came to the TV series. I think I'm already liking this version more than even the Japanese version itself. I really like Barbie Xu. She entertains me.

Also, am I the only one thinking that the guy who plays Dao Ming Si and Shim Changmin look a bit alike, from the side angle, mostly?

• 2 weeks later...

It's one of the best drama that I've watched.

But the main reason that got me hooked is Daoming Si.

I've came across him many times but I've never notice him until this drama.

He's unresistable.

I love that part when he's dancing in the barber shop. So cute! :blush:

Archived