Do Asian kids usually get a lot more freedom once they head off to university?

Crunchyrunchy

Just asking here because the majority of this forum is Asian.

So a lot of my friends are Asian and they have very little freedom to do things. They have things like curfew, dating restrictions, and sometimes even restriction on going out to do things. I know a lot of Asians tend to move away for universities. (In california, Asians tend to go to UCs)

Do things get a lot better once they move out for college? Like dating restrictions, little curfews and etc. (Assuming they are going to move out for college.)

Thought that summed up every high school student life... Asian curriculum is a lot harder than the western counterpart so parents usually enforce them to study hard and get scholarships and such. Most parents usually didn't go to college and have the thinking that those who do will be more successful. College is pretty easy to get into these days though so I would just tell people to chill.

If they stayed in state for College/university then they probably have the same restrictions. Get out of the house ASAP I would say. Study interstate or abroad. If the parents are paying the bills you might be more obedient and nice towards them.

If you pay them yourself you obvious get more freedom without a parent hassling them all the time. What people do with their freedom is entirely up to them. People gotta have a balance between work, study and leisure. The dating restriction may apply for Asians. Usually want their children to have a pale partner with good career. The student may or may not listen to it due to their preference. No curfews what so ever. Its your time management skills after all. Do what you want with your life even if it angers your parents.

Guest happytogetehr

For many Chinese kids, this is true. Before university, they are in the charge of parents and teachers strictly, and when they head off to university, parents are faraway fro them and teachers won't  discipline too much.

Archived