[Variety] MBC Mystery Music Show: King of Masked Singer (미스터리 음악쇼: 복면가왕)

Guest Angi

[Variety] MBC Mystery Music Show: King of Masked Singer

(Korean: 미스터리 음악쇼: 복면가왕)

Official website: http://www.imbc.com/broad/tv/ent/mask/

Broadcast Date: February 8th, 2015 - present

MC: Kim Sung Joo (김성주)

- under construction - 

Synopsis: Masked Singer is a singing competition where celebrities from South Korea are concealed by a mask to showcase their singing talents. The competitors are given masks to conceal their identity in order to prevent biased voting (due to popularity, career, etc.).  There are a total of three rounds. In the first round, two competitors sing the same song as a duet. In the second and third rounds, the winner of the previous round(s), sing the song by themselves. After the third round, the winner then proceeds to challenge the Mask King for the title and is either eliminated or crowned.

Panelists:

• Kim Gura (김구라)
  • Kim Hyunseok
  • Kim Sangyeol
  • Yoon Ilsang
  • Lee Yunseok
  • Ji Sangryul
  • Shin Bongsun
  • B1A4 Sandeul
  • BEAST Son Dongwoon

Guest Panelists:

• Baek Jiyoung
  • K.Will
  • Don Spike
  • Dalshabet Subin
  • Verbal Jint

(note: Please note that there are guest panelists that fill in the spots when panelists cannot make the recording)

Episode: Pilot

-------

Episode 1

• Round 1:
  • Round 1:
  • Round 2:
  • Round 2:
  • Round 3: 
  •  

I didn't see a thread yet for this and I personally enjoy watching it~ ;3

Anyone else watch this show? I get kicks when I end up guessing right on who the person singing is. XD

Guest Tinkiebell

@Angi , I enjoy the show too, but since I have to rely on subs, I only watched 4 episodes so far and have been trying to keep myself as far away as possible than any spoilers :)

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow, I thought that there would be more interest in this show here. I've been watching since ep 43 with the Music Commander. Hahaha I think I've tuned into it at the best part since Music C. is pretty funny and plays along well with the audience and panelists. It is also interesting in the reasons why people go on the show. I was crying when the Ladies Code member was revealed. Even tho it is just a show making money, it does give singers a chance to experiment or non professional singers to have fun. I wonder how long the Music C. will stay. Will he bow out like Cleopatra or just sing what he wants until the audience wants someone new?

• 2 weeks later...

@colourgrae Me too!  Then again, I'm finally making a post on this thread after watching all the eps so far.  I got interested when Cleopatra kept popping up on Apop news sites.  This show is like a mix of I Am A Singer and Immortal Songs, but better - the singers get to sing more than one song (with the exception of the "King"), plus they can demonstrate more humorous side of themselves; oh, and there's this mask & costume thing about it too...LOL! 

I've started to get into Kpop/music seriously in 2009, so it's wonderful for me to hear the guesses the panelist make and the clips of the musicians/celebrities.  Then the reveal (don't want to give away spoilers for still some newbies) -some of these people are seriously multi-talented!

I was all about the Cleopatra and was so down when a new King was crowned, still fun but not the same heightened anticipation I felt with his performances...then Music Commander/General of as I search for clips of him "Captain"...quoting from the movie "Dead Poets Society": "Oh Captain, my Captain!"  He has brought the anticipation and thrill back for me!  I felt proud that I've guessed a few singers considering my short history with K-music, but it took me by the his 4th performance to guess who he is.  And when I did I was dumbfounded that it took me so long!  Gaaah!  He has improved sooooo much since I first heard him back in a music show accompanying a girl's group, then singing shows in 2012!  So wonderful to see him in mainstream shows.  It's been hard to see his performances otherwise if you don't speak/read Korean fluently to follow where he will show up next...

I hope last week's performance will drive people to post here as it did for me.  I mean, how could a person be that good?!?  (Even Gura is not knocking him down after all of Music Captains wins!)

I was really tense for the Music Commander this week; it felt like after the last win he was resigning himself to losing the next one...There were some really strong contenders this round...well, when the Music Commander got choked up at his unexpected win, it got me too. When he said for us to look forward to his next performance, so regardless if he wins or not, I feel like he's really going to provide us something special! Can't wait to see what he will do next!

• 2 weeks later...

@j-Pooh I thought he was so wanting to get off the show last time that he tried his best to be low key. Roller Coaster would have been a fun king and I liked his voice but he isn't the Music Commander. People just wouldn't let him go. Hahaha there was a comedy show that had someone calling from the past to the present, and they asked if Music Commander was still on the show. The future guy said yeah, and MC got tired of wearing the mask and so had it tattooed on his face! I loved his new performance. I can't believe how he was able to twice, lift up his voice from low to high. The last time, I thought he had gone as high as he could and then, he went one higher. The first time he did it, I thought of the part from the Fifth Element when the alien lady went from low to high. Sorry I can't notify you, it won't work till I upgrade my computer.

I caught this show and I finally understand the love for Music Commander.  I only watched it because my old fave god's lead singer was on and boy was it so obvious that it was him.  But then, wow, the Music Commander blew my socks off.  He has incredible range.  I have no idea who he is but when I find out, I may have to listen to his music.  Talk about a talent.

Guest adikkeluangman

SLAM DUNK on 'King of Mask Singers' found out to be Kim Tae Woo

Kim Tae Woo told why he decided to commence diet.

On April 8th broadcast of MBC 'King of Mask Singers,' SLAM DUNK was found out to be none other than Kim Tae Woo.

20160508182541_572f0615520b0_2.jpg

As SLAM DUNK took his mask off, all of the panels were largely surprised by how slimmer he got.

Regarding why he decided to get on diet, Kim Tae Woo said, "I found myself struggling while singing after I gained weight. I thought it was time for me to lose some weight, and I think that must be why not as many people could not tell who I was."

Kim Sung Joo asked Kim Tae Woo how much weight he lost, and he replied, "I lost about 25kg."

Meanwhile, the 'BATMAN' was found out to be Lee Hyun Woo.

http://www.starnnews.com/global/en/news/index.html?no=447531 

• 4 weeks later...

Though Hyun Woo's lost is sad, he needs to go due to the band's schedule. I wish they had planned a much better exit, like giving the mask king an option to decline competing any further, making the title open for the next generation. In that way, a king wouldn't be forced to give a less than stellar performance in hope of being finally ousted. 

I watched it and saw most of the long time panelists with sad faces throughout the show. They would be smiling one moment and then, the smile would fade and a sad face appeared. They already knew what was going to happen or at the least, another attempt to leave the show. Kim Gura was especially somber. I love at the end tho, he was caught voting for MC because he didn't want him to lose by a big amount. They all love MC because he's a nice guy.

I wonder how long the Job Seeker will last? Will the show try to put weak singers in to challenge him so that the win seems legit? I mean if MC had wanted to stay, he would have sung the crap out of a song and won. Anyway, I'm glad he got off for his sake. He was very gracious and kind to everyone. Well it's Radio Star for his next appearance. Kim Gura at least gets to see him again in a short while. I think it is on the 15th.

• 1 month later...

I never watched this show until I saw MC singing 1 million roses on TV in Seoul !! Loved his voice and his vocal range!! it's amazing how far he can go.... Miss seeing him on the show though.

But I guess he needs to concentrate on Band's comeback activities and he only came out to promote his Band anyway. Great job on promoting cos now everyone knows him and the Band! :)

The show isn't the same without him! >.< I am going to miss him dearly every week while watching this show.

All those new Kings doesn't last very long.... give 2 to 3 rounds and they are out and replaced with a new one.

@jeijei - That is so true, they should have devised a way for MC to exit without a loss (like it was done for Sandeul in Duet Song Festival).  The latest King, Blank Knight, is pretty cool but nothing like the charisma, range, and just presence that MC had.  It's just the first win, perhaps he can grow on all of us - but compared to MC's formidable talent, the Black Knight probably won't draw as much of a frenzy.  It will be cool if they have a special series just for the Kings to battle each other.  Not as much as MC, but I miss Kim Yeon Woo as well.

• 1 month later...

Archived