Korea’s Minimum Wage Will Be Increased in 2016

Korea’s Minimum Wage Council has decided to increase next year’s minimum wage to 6,030 KRW (approx.  5.35 USD) from the current 5,580 KRW (approx. 4.95 USD), which is an increase of 8.1 percent and 450 KRW (approx. 40 U.S. cents). This change will mean that if one is to work 209 hours per month, he or […]

The post Korea’s Minimum Wage Will Be Increased in 2016 appeared first on Soompi.

View the full article

Guest cakey

How do minimum wage workers in Korea pay for living expenses? I live in an area with a cheaper cost of living than, say, Seoul, and with a higher minimum wage than ~5 USD and people who work minimum wage can't really afford anything beyond rent and groceries... No room for a car, savings, family planning, etc. I know transportation and healthcare aren't as big a worry in Korea, but still.

How do minimum wage workers in Korea pay for living expenses? I live in an area with a cheaper cost of living than, say, Seoul, and with a higher minimum wage than ~5 USD and people who work minimum wage can't really afford anything beyond rent and groceries... No room for a car, savings, family planning, etc. I know transportation and healthcare aren't as big a worry in Korea, but still.

Thats what Im saying and everything is so much more expensive it seems in S Korea.

Wow...I didn't know the minimum wage in S.korea was only around $5 :O
That seems like...not enough? I feel like it must be hard to try and become independent when you have to work so much and don't get paid enough to even get your own place (since isn't rent super expensive?)...let alone any other expenses you might have

Archived