Guest ororomunroe

@hushhh It wasn't German what CHS was speaking. I am living in Germany and it didn't sound like it at all. I had the impression, it was more a slavic language or Hungarian.

I believe, her grandmother died, when she was in Germany. CHS kept visiting her at the shop and took care of everything after her death. The reason is that when HNR came back from Germany (scene at the airport), noone was there... the father was hurrying up with the son to get a taxi. I don't think, the grandmother wouldn't have tried to see her granddaughter, if she had been alive. 

@bebebisous33 

Thanks for clarifying the language question.

CHS studied in Russia, but it didn't sound like Russian to me (I'm not a Russian speaker either--there are so many languages I don't speak.  I'm fluent in 1.5 English dialect and NYC Sarcasm).

I assumed that they returned when WC had finished his PhD. She was 18 and he is 23 and I'm assumed had finished college.  I'm not sure how long a German doctorate take, but in the USA it can take 5-10+ years depending on the discipline and student.

NoRa looking lost and no one being their to meet them suggest their was no family left, even on WC's side.  WC not having any involved family might have made it easier for him to marry NoRa originally and NoRa not having family made it easier to control her.  As I was writing this I remembered the Hedda Nausbaum list.  NoRa and WC relationship progresses so quickly none of her friends were aware of it. 

I'm not suggesting that WC is Joel Sternberg, nor do I think most of these apply but I do think he is a bit controlling masked as reasonableness.

Abusive men: Hedda Nussbaum's list of red flags 

Submitted by a Taken In Hand... on Fri, 25/03/2005 - 02:59

[This list of red flags seems to be in the public domain so I am posting it here. If it is not, my apologies, and please let me know.—Ed.]

1. He pushes too far, too fast, planning your future together right away.
  2. He hates his mother and is nasty to her.
  3. He wants your undivided attention.
  4. He must always be in charge.
  5. He always has to win.
  6. He breaks promises all the time. [lol Just before the fish smacking incident--when NR asked WC what did he want to talk about my subs had WC telling her "Please quit school. Please divorce me. it's neither of these request so please take a seat." and then conversation was all about quit school and divorce me.]
  7. He can't take criticism and always justifies his actions.
  8. He blames someone else for anything that goes wrong.
  9. He's jealous of your close friends, family members, and all other men.
  10. He always asks you where you went and whom you saw.
  11. He has extreme highs and lows that are unpredictable.
  12. He has a mean temper.
  13. He often says you don't know what you're talking about.
  14. He makes you feel like you're not good enough.
  15. He withdraws his love or approval as punishment.
  16. He pushes you to do things that make you feel uneasy, like taking the day off from work or even breaking the law.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After ep. 6 NR wasn't in love with her husband. It was more like she wanted a family of her own. She only had her grandmother who raised her and then got pregnant at 18 and had MS. They became her family. She tried hard to save her marriage not because of love but because of fear. She even confessed to best friend YY. NR will fall in love for the first time eventually and it will be the person (HS) she falls for not the situation that forces her to. So for now I can only say Go Nora Go !! Fighting !! 

Anyone with thoughts on why Hyun Seok decided to openly tell Yi Jin and her father that he used to be in love with No Ra? I understood the declaration of friendship. Making it clear to YJ that he is on NR side and not to mess with her. But why the fuller confession?

I think he said that to let YJ know that NR was not an inconsequential person.

He probably assume that WC was feeding YJ the idea that NR was an uneducated, uninteresting dullard not worthy of his attention or YJ guilt or consideration.

By announcing that he was once in love with NR, HS makes her less of an idea and more of a person in YJ consciousness.  It also makes clear that she was bright and talented enough to enthrall a (nascent) world famous director.  It was a way of giving NR status by association with HS.  K-dramas sets up Korea of a culture of relationships and connections. [ Oh,the tragedy when one is orphaned and no one wants to allow their child to marry you because you have no connections. I get it a little when your family is a bunch of wastrel, but to punish orphans for not having parents seems diabolical or comical--depending on the context.]  K-dramas suggest that you can't get anywhere without connections.  Therefore NR was easily dismissed because she had no connections or community outside of her family and that family seemed okay with tossing her aside. But HS is saying, YEAH, SHE HAS CONNECTIONS AND COMMUNITY.  It might also give YJ a warning that messing with NoRa would not be without consequences.

I was surprised when HS did that, and it only made sense when I thought of it that way.

Previously, I don't remember YJ talking about NR at all, only about WC finalizing the divorce.  After HS declaration she asked in a very sullen way, if where WC was taking her was some place his wife liked.  So it seems that HS attempt of humanizing NR has begun to take effect.

I'm not sure if NR knows the woman with WC was YJ.  It would be interesting if YJ gets to know and like NR (as much as YJ can like anyone) before realizing the the woman's family she is breaking apart is a person she has come to like and respect and was misrepresented by WC.

You can already see the writing on the wall for wc....yj wants him to quickly get divorced so they can start dating, but i have a feeling wc/yj affair will be leaked first. Wc will not marry wc in the end because yj dad is going to learn about it. Also wc will technically come with baggage, ms, which is a no-no for these wealthy people...they don't want to raise other peoples kids.

as to the son right now he hates his mother but that will switch around after he learns what his dad has done. Wc will be left with nothing. I also see nora walking out leaving everything to wc....

CHS finally found out about the truth!!! I just watched the last 2 episodes while taking a break from homework (I went back to college just like HNR though I'm still on my early 30s and pursuing a 3rd degree:D ). I'm so glad that no more bullying going on! I hope to see more screen time with both CHS and HNR. Now that CHS knows the truth, I want to see how he would treat HNR:w00t:

Guest ororomunroe

[Spoilers] 20 Again

f1.jpg

tv Report - Naver: 'Twenty Again' Choi Won Young who's having an affair can't avoid noticing Choi Ji Woo 

1. [+5,469, -51] Please end up with Lee Sang Yoon

2. [+5,199, -41] Just get a divorce. Lee Sang Yoon's awesome ㅠㅠ

3. [+3,733, -35] She's changing and the husband will regret letting go of her~

4. [+486, -9] Hyun Seok's falling for her more and more ㅋㅋㅋ

5. [+431, -4] In episodes 1 and 2 , I was so frustrated with Choi Ji Woo's acting and I don't know if it's supposed to be for her charcter but I'm completely hooked with her character recently. I live for the episodes!

6. [+373, -2] Daebak. It gets better and betterㅋㅋ

7. [+263, -1] Ugh where's the preview? ㅠㅠ

8. [+240, -2] I love the last part ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ I hope they let us see more of the husband regretting everything the more Nora changes. I want her to end up with Hyun Seok

9. [+221, -2] I was worried that Hyun Seok would get angry once he finds out the truth but I was so happy when they hugged

10. [+199, -1] Lee Sang Yoon's too cute ㅋㅋㅋ

11. [+161, -1] Hurry up and get a divorce before your husband changes his mind..

Nate 
1. [+326, -2] The same man who wants divorce gets jealous at his wife when she's with another guy

2. [+226, -2] The drama is childish but it's really good

3. [+53, -1] Choi Won Young ahjusshi either plays a mama boy or a cheater. He has such a gentle image but is skilled at playing theses kinds of roles

4. [+30, -2] Choi Won Young's playing a hateful character but because he's goofy and charming in this drama, he doesn't seem like a villain at all. Later on, the son might take his mom's side too

cr: kkuljaem

Enjoying this drama a lot more then i expected to. I like the realism they were trying to get across of woman changing after marriage and basically sacrificing their own happiness and identities to make their families happy, although this does the opposite and causes your loved ones to see you as a doormat and lose any form of respect for you, this happens often and it's a norm that surpasses culture, race or social status. HNR was obviously an outgoing, very social young woman and had she stayed in Korea and been around her grandmother and friends she probably would've been able to remain confident and true to self but because she moved to a foreign country without speaking the language and with her husband being busy all the time with his career she had no other choice but to be lonely and with her son all the time and that became her world. I am loving this second chance she is getting that life and possibly love. But, what I most looking forward to his her and MS relationship, I want to see him be proud of her, for them to share a common love of dancing and over all just be happy shes his mom and recognize the sacrifice and amount of love she has for him. Plus I wouldn't mind him hating and losing respect for his father. 

The thing about WC for me is I would really like to know what made him start his relationship with NR, he had to be a decent guy because he married her when she got pregnant and obviously supported her and MS while going to school. Did he make her change or did she do it on her own.

MS is already softening towards NR and if he finds out his father is cheating on her it will be all over for him. I don't think that WC and YJ will marry for a lot of reason but he will start to change because seeing NR happy without him is not in his plan.It might be fun to see him marry YJ and then have her treat him the way he does NR.

It would great if NR found out about YJ first, so when the scandal breaks she can be in fear that NR will expose her in front of the class. I can't wait to see his face when NR is the one pushing ahead with the divorce and WC is the one trying to stall things. He is so use to her obeying his every command butthat has already started to change.

The store that WC keeps mentioning when he talks about the divorcee must be what he will give her as a settlement. 

Just finished watching episode 6 with subs - I feel like taking that dried pollack from HNR and hit WC in the head - soften that pollack in his head.  He is good with words in insulting HNR - and I couldn't believe she is able  to live with both husband and son and being treated that way.  I hope CHS finds out about the divorce (RYY might spill the beans, I hope); or she'd probably tell CHS herself because she has to explain why she has to work part-time.  CHS might employ her permanently in his office to support her studies.  So there goes the continue support from the knight in  shining armour.

Looks like it was Dong Chul who bought the tteukbokki shop and  recipe from HNR grandma and not CHS.

WC is always serious but his actions are funny; CHS is funny both in words and actions.

BTW - Choi JiWoo looks prettier now as a high-schooler than when she was in Winter Sonata.

Anyone with thoughts on why Hyun Seok decided to openly tell Yi Jin and her father that he used to be in love with No Ra? I understood the declaration of friendship. Making it clear to YJ that he is on NR side and not to mess with her. But why the fuller confession?

I simply thought it was a pyschological tactic. When Yi Jin’s father see/thinks Woo Chul he will automatically think the word (with) wife.

And childishly but effectively rattle Yi Jin right in front of her father.  I do agree that he intentionally declared his association with No Ra to say hey this girl has ME in her corner.

But I also remember thinking while watching- what if his declaration makes Yi Jin more at ease with their cheating since it looks like someone will be there to catch No Ra when D day comes. 

I dont get why HNR is so stubborn. She agreed to the divorce so she should have that mindset already no? So whatever the reason is for the divorce (cheating, communication etc.) shouldn't matter to her because she already accepted it without too much resistance already. It seems like her endgame is to live with her husband but still "divorced" for the forseeable future and not allow him to have his own life? I do feel that she feels she mightve "wasted" her life by having a one night stand of sorts with him (apparently they dont have much in common and maybe originally he just wanted to do her idk) and had to take care of MS... 

I really hope in the end she leaves her hubby and not be the ending where her hubby "loves" her again..

I simply thought it was a pyschological tactic. When Yi Jin’s father see/thinks Woo Chul he will automatically think the word (with) wife.

And childishly but effectively rattle Yi Jin right in front of her father.  I do agree that he intentionally declared his association with No Ra to say hey this girl has ME in her corner.

But I also remember thinking while watching- what if his declaration makes Yi Jin more at ease with their cheating since it looks like someone will be there to catch No Ra when D day comes. 

yes of course. When Yi Jin wants to introduce WC to daddy he will immediately think of the wife that HS spoke so glowingly of. And we already know that he is childish in regards to NR. Daddy being present was a bonus though and not why he called. I wonder if he plans to bring NR to the meeting he was talking about. That will really rattle YJ.

I also like the explanation that he is giving NR some of his power via association.

I think he said that to let YJ know that NR was not an inconsequential person.

He probably assume that WC was feeding YJ the idea that NR was an uneducated, uninteresting dullard not worthy of his attention or YJ guilt or consideration.

By announcing that he was once in love with NR, HS makes her less of an idea and more of a person in YJ consciousness.  It also makes clear that she was bright and talented enough to enthrall a (nascent) world famous director.  It was a way of giving NR status by association with HS.  K-dramas sets up Korea of a culture of relationships and connections. [ Oh,the tragedy when one is orphaned and no one wants to allow their child to marry you because you have no connections. I get it a little when your family is a bunch of wastrel, but to punish orphans for not having parents seems diabolical or comical--depending on the context.]  K-dramas suggest that you can't get anywhere without connections.  Therefore NR was easily dismissed because she had no connections or community outside of her family and that family seemed okay with tossing her aside. But HS is saying, YEAH, SHE HAS CONNECTIONS AND COMMUNITY.  It might also give YJ a warning that messing with NoRa would not be without consequences.

I was surprised when HS did that, and it only made sense when I thought of it that way.

Previously, I don't remember YJ talking about NR at all, only about WC finalizing the divorce.  After HS declaration she asked in a very sullen way, if where WC was taking her was some place his wife liked.  So it seems that HS attempt of humanizing NR has begun to take effect.

I'm not sure if NR knows the woman with WC was YJ.  It would be interesting if YJ gets to know and like NR (as much as YJ can like anyone) before realizing the the woman's family she is breaking apart is a person she has come to like and respect and was misrepresented by WC.

@hushhh - I was wondering about the same thing and I really like your explanation. It makes so much sense… sometimes I think that HS's actions are more driven by his heart, but this has proven that he is a deep thinker too with calculated moves. Thanks for your insights!

I'm sorry if its oot, I think LSY better paired with CJW than GHS. The age gap between LSY and CJW is 6 year, but they look so good. Back then, CJW was dating LJW (same age as LSY), maybe they will become a real couple?

I agree with you! Here they are supposed to be of the same age, and they do look compatible! Can't tell the age difference at all… it's either CJW looks so much younger than her actual age or that LSY looks much older than his age… and I think it's the former.

I'm sorry if its oot, I think LSY better paired with CJW than GHS. The age gap between LSY and CJW is 6 year, but they look so good. Back then, CJW was dating LJW (same age as LSY), maybe they will become a real couple?

I have to agree, they look crazy good together. Like damn.

@40somethingahjumma, @bebebisous33,

There's some missing pieces we haven't learned yet about why NR never returned for her grandmother's funeral. I think it all has to do with WC. WC was an opportunist all along but he picked the wrong girl from that school to seduce. Once she became pregnant and he found out her background  his chance to enter into an elite family was gone. He had no choice but to marry her so he took her out of the country to hide her from the world because he still had hope of entering into the world of the elite someday. 

To WC NR was worthless to him and his ambitions. As punishment he berated her and made her feel smaller and smaller until there was nothing left of the old NR. He has shown his son this is what you get when you marry beneath you. An uneducated no nothing woman like your mother who is of no use to you. This is why he doesn't want MS to date while in college because the possibility of the same thing happening could happen to him. WC is betting on his son to bring him further and higher into the world of the elite. He has conditioned MS to be like father like son. 

I have a feeling that store WC mentioned in the divorce settlement is the very store NR Grandmother left as part of her inheritance. Unknowing to him HS and friends have been running that store on behalf of her Grandmother. WC made it so NR never found out about her inheritance and has kept her in the dark. He is the reason why she never returned for her Grandmother's funeral. The running of that store is what WC considers beneath him but he's been living off the fat of the land from the profits, In NR's eyes he's the one who has been providing for their family and it's how he has kept her in check. Without him she would be and have nothing so he's giving her a gift of the store thinking she's to worthless and stupid to figure out what he's been up too.

As for HS I think his anger at NR has to do with something WC did to keep NR in the dark. Once he came in contact with NR and saw for himself how much she had changed the light bulbs started going on. Then when he found out WC was cheating the bigger pictured stated to form of just what her life truly has been like being married to WC. 

WC is going to continue to badger NR about quitting school but things are not going to go as he planned. NR has dug in and refuses to comply to his demands. She's trying to make her own way by taking on a job not knowing she already has an inheritance waiting for her.  YY tried once before to enlighten NR to WC but NR shot her down. Neither of her friends wants see her get hurt and are allowing her with a little help to rediscover herself and her life. 

@awsparkle Your last comment was really insightful... I agree with your analysis. To me, WC is an ambitious opportunist and your analysis made me think that maybe when WC met HNR for the first time on the beach, he mistook her for someone else. When you think that HNR's misdiagnosis was due to the similarity of the other patient's name. 

Guest lalalala823

I can't wait for HNR and her son to start getting closer. I get the feeling that the son's gf will be very instrumental in bringing them closer. It was so funny the way they were sneaking in together and got caught. I really want them to be closer and to stand up against the dad together. I hope the son finds out about the dad's affair too. 

Gahd the way the dad's mistress talks is super annoying. Her voice and her very slow speech. Ugh. 

Archived