Guest ororomunroe

I'm loving that Seung-hyun girl more than Hye Mi. Hope there's more to her storyline.

Same here. I have been pondering why I can't get interested in MS or HM and their 'problems', whether it is the writing, the execution or both.

I get why the writer included MS-HM relationship in the storyline, but MS comes across really flat as a human being and HM comes off whinny and spoilt. I understand that MS is very much influenced and controlled by his dad and under a lot of pressure to do well in school etc., but somehow, as a member of the audience, I cannot feel anything for him or empathise with his situation. He just seems to be very, very dull, like dish water or a wet blanket Haha... Is this the writer's intent, so she can then show his complete transformation in subsequent episodes? Or is this because of the flat acting?

As for HM, what else is there besides the desire for MS and having a great social life at college? Does she have any other interests in life? Any ambitions? I hope there will be more to come for the 2 characters and more depth to them as individuals and also as a couple, otherwise, they just seem so uninteresting that I want to fast-forward when I see them onscreen. 

I just read the review on Dramabeans, the reviewer (Javabeans) said 'I still really don’t care about this couple, but better dancing than acting, I say.' Lol! Which is how I felt! I agree with others too that the dance moves of HS, NR and gang were so much better (and spontaneous  and fun) than at the 'cool' club, where the kids' dancing seems staged and choreographed for the camera.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all, I've enjoyed reading all your insights, thoughts and opinions about the various characters and the plot development of the drama. Actually, when the drama OMG ended, I planned to go on a hiatus and just simply be a lurker in the Soompi forums because doing recapping ad translating does take up quite a bit of my time so I didn't think of becoming an active contributor on this thread. But the refreshing plot of the drama and the fact that Lee Sang-Yoon is the main lead actor in it are the main reasons why I started watching Twenty Again in the first place. That's also when I find myself helping out with the recapping for the drama too. Though I'm not exactly a fan of Choi Ji-Woo but I really do love the portrayal of her role as Ha No-Ra in the show. As we can see our female lead emerging strongly as a spirited, spunky and plucky heroine who will stand up for herself and what she believes in. She is no longer the pushover and submissive person.

I feel her husband, Woo-Chul is largely to be blamed for the breakdown in their marriage as he has never once thought that No-Ra is worthy of being his equal in their matrimony and that's the reason why he would make all the decisions in their household without consulting his wife. He always has a say in everything where their marriage is  concerned and is never interested in her views nor opinions because they are immaterial to him since he obviously feels he is far more superior and intelligent than his wife. The fact that he is an exceedingly domineering husband and is such an egoist, under such circumstances, No-Ra is compelled into becoming a more submissive and subdued wife in order to keep their marriage going.

An ambitious person like Woo-Chul will never be satisfied to spend the rest of his life with No-Ra especially when he yearns to move up the corporate ladder and thus, the ticket to success would be Yi-Jin since she is also highly educated like him and she also happens to be the Chairman's daughter.

I would love to see what kinda plan our Professor cum Producer Cha Hyun-Suk has in mind and how he intends to get back and defeat Woo-Chul for cheating on his wife. I also love seeing a happier and more cheerful Hyun-Suk whenever he is together with No-Ra as he feels really comfortable and at ease with her. Likewise for No-Ra, she is being reminded of the spunky person she used to be when she is in the company of Hyun-Suk as the latter never fails to remind her of the plucky girl she once was before she had gotten married. It's truly wonderful and heartening to see that they are able to be their true selves in each other's presence.

Like you guys, I'm also eagerly waiting in anticipation to watch the upcoming episodes and looking forward to see how the plot and the various characters will continue to evolve.

ladiessss,

do u know what kind of skewer that NR and HS eat in the ep.5?? this is the link

if u know please told meeeee :)  i want to make it! hahaha

Bobbie, @bobsavero, dearie how are you? Oh my, you and your cherubic-Jowon profpic.. It was so long ago. 

Idk what they eat, fried something for sure.. Perhaps you could find it at Lotte supermarket or any korean store in town. Lotte have their mini street food stalls inside where you can have it there, as well as the frozen-ready to cook one. Goodluck with your food hunting, sweetie~!

HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII G-UNNIEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

heheheh. yep, long time no post in the forum. I am in the state of I need to reduce my KDrama doses by only lurk in forum. :sweatingbullets::sweatingbullets::sweatingbullets: but i cant resist to ask about food, cos no one mention it. hahahah.

Thank you @GaeinaLee unnie! i thought to sell it in my hometown. hahahahahaha. :D:D

oh btw, i really really like this drama! ROMCOM is the best! My Prince Lee Sang Hyun is soooooo charming and childish here, hahahahha.

To me, he is someone ambitious and wants fame... I came to this observation as he was desesperately looking for working with the famous CHS. His work with CHS would help him to get finally recognised and get famous. 

I really loved the episode 6 and was really sad for HNR, but the ending was really great. The next step would be that CHS hears about the divorce and the divorce agreement. 

i am still undecided about Woo Chul (someone said Water Closet before and I so agree!) and his ambitiousness. Am I mistaken in thinking he only transferred to Woocheon to after Min Soo was accepted there and nothing to do with Yi Jin? 

That he keeps imposing his self on Hyun Suk is for his future with Yi Jin. I think being a divorced man is negative points and their dating too soon after the divorce will be more negative points that he has to do something to erase all those negatives.  He has to be ambitious and be someone worthy to be accepted by her dad. 

Due to that closet scene in ep6, Woo Chul’s dirtbag level decreased a bit for me because he did let it be known early on that he wasn’t happy with their marriage.

I feel the pace of the drama is still good but I worry that if in next week’s episodes the divorce agreement part is already revealed to Hyun Suk, what else will we get for the plot without being draggy for the remaining 8 episodes ( assuming it is 16 episodes in total)?

They keep mentioning the “store” that will go to No Ra when they divorce that I want to see it.

And lastly (maybe), can we get some behind the scenes, NGs and cut parts of the disco scene?? Aaargghh Hyun Suk or Lee Sang Yoon so adorable!! And his expressions in the bus ~!!

But MS comes across really flat as a human being and .... He just seems to be very, very dull, like dish water or a wet blanket Haha... Is this the writer's intent, so she can then show his complete transformation in subsequent episodes? Or is this because of the flat acting?

There have been so many actors/characters in kdramas that come across as strong, silent and robotic. Is it deliberate or really bad acting?  Min Soo, there Is still time to change...

21 hours ago,  docster6 said:

Yes, I think it is very likely that HS is a chaebol, but the kind of chaebol who is very humble and normal. YJ's important father wants YJ to be matched with HS because he feels HS might even be an upgrade for YJ's family.

In the subs I read YJ father said both HS parents were composers and IF HS's  background were better he would be a good match, but he'd overlook that flaw if YJ wanted him.  

He also said that if YJ doesn't find someone to marry before the end of the year she would have to marry a chaebol he picked out.

This explains the pressure that YJ is under and why her timeline is so specific.  Her father is a conservative traditionalist with a dislike for scandals; despite her presentation as being independent, her status comes from her father, therefore she cannot afford to offend him.

She needs WC to be divorced by June so that they can begin dating three months after the divorce (I think that was what she said) be married three months after before the year ends.  If she doesn't she has to marry where her father points.

@jemmaca We just became roommates beginning of this semester. So we didn't really know much about each other except we both liked hiking. I did more hiking with her than watching kdramas. Since I can only watch dramas on weekend evenings or in the mornings if I don't need to get up for early morning hike, my roommate didn't see me watching kdramas. She actually knew little bit of kpop because of her old Korean roommate and it is also same with me. I only knew about 2pm and Big Bang years ago which I was introduced by my friend but I had no idea about kdramas until I became roommates with a Korean. She was really something. I would wake up like 4 in the morning to drink some water she would be watching Korean dramas or TV shows in the living room. I asked her once about what she was watching and to my surprise she said she watched 30+ eps drama in 2 days :blink:Luckily, she was graduating so she wasn't taking too many classes to worry about. SO my very first Korean show was Running Man, her favorite show. She made me and her boyfriend who was also Korean but grew up in Canada watch two eps of running man in a row. I didn't want to get into kdrama because I wasn't sure if i would like it. Then I started taking Korean class because I wanted to learn some Korean before I go to Korea to visit my friend. My Korean class teacher showed us MV of a drama called "I can hear your voice" and I thought it was interesting and wanted to check that out. Sorry long reply, :)

BTW, me and my roommate watched Yong Pal and 2nd20 yesterday. She likes them the most not really liking Mrs Cop :rolleyes:.

Watching with subs is much better...lol! 

WC is really nasty the way he spoke to NR in his study. Basically threatening her and saying he would not pay her tuition fees and only living expenses up to May and the same stuff again about her losing the shop if she does not follow through with the divorce. The tone he spoke to her was very condescending... you could NR was trying to contain her anger and sense of injustice.

I really liked that scene with WC doing his usual denigrating, condescending manipulation masked as reasonableness because it is a replay of scenes that's been going on since 2013 (or perhaps 2011 and before) but for the first time NoRa has the truth of what was behind the words so she realized that the criticism wasn't about her shortcoming but about his perfidy.

Oh the irony!  WC wants an intellectual equal and a stimulating life partner but all he did was lecture her like he did his students.   

If WC were to talk to a American college student in that way, especially in today's higher education atmosphere he would have to explain himself to his chair.

I was sobbing when Halmeoni told NR to enter/leave the Tteokbokki store through the back door and not to let her new classmates know about their relationship. That scene was so sad, Halmeoni was so good there and young NR too. WC not only dashed NR's dream to dance, put a stop to her college life and he is treating her so shabbily now. But i do feel a sense of pity for WC now. NR is adapting to college life, MS too. His manipulative way of controlling both NR and MS is coming to an end soon. NR knows of his affair, MS beginning to have fun in college and even skipping tuition for 'clubbing'. In the end. there will be no one around for him to manipulate and its seems like YJ is twisting him around her pinkie instead.

I love it when the 4 of them strolled through the grounds of their high school. HNR/CHS recalling their life during high school and how they teased each other before and now.

I dunno what to anticipate for ep 7. More sweet moments between HS and NR? Or will HS throw a fit first? Well, he is kinda of childish at times so probably throw a fit first but yet realised he cannot stay away from the candy aka NR. LOL

Well episode 6 was a fairly sweet one. Though i confess to fast forwarding through the club scenes. I loved the selfies of the 4 of them. The wonderful faces they made. I also enjoyed the knowing faces that Yoon Yung made. I can see her plotting to get our OTP together. 

questions in my head are:
- Will No Ra be angry that Hyun Seok was being nice because she was terminally ill?
- Was it her grandmother's funeral that Yoon Young started to mention and stopped herself?

- Did No Ra miss her own grandmother's funeral :(

It will be interesting to know about NoRa's relationship with her grandmother while she was in Germany. But if something was happening with NoRa's grandmother it is likely that her grandmother kept it from NoRa. Remember that her grandmother is shown a propensity for severing ties with NoRa's if she thinks it will make things easier for NoRa, whether NoRa wants it or not.

Another thing, was I mistaken or did I hear HS speak very good German, (I don't speak German but whatever he was speaking  seem to flow with ease) in the episode when he was arranging tickets for NoRa?

Since nothing should be random in art I fully expect that there should be significance between HyunSuk's German fluency and NoRa having lived in Germany.

[Of course not all drama series believe is creating significance out of seeming randomness -- yeah, I'm talking about you Oh My Ghostess with your child can see when someone is possesses and served no purpose to the narrative.]

@hushhh It wasn't German what CHS was speaking. I am living in Germany and it didn't sound like it at all. I had the impression, it was more a slavic language or Hungarian.

I believe, her grandmother died, when she was in Germany. CHS kept visiting her at the shop and took care of everything after her death. The reason is that when HNR came back from Germany (scene at the airport), noone was there... the father was hurrying up with the son to get a taxi. I don't think, the grandmother wouldn't have tried to see her granddaughter, if she had been alive. 

@chingu0825 no apologies needed. I enjoyed your story. Thanks for sharing.

@hushhh I think you are right about the grandmother being the type to cut off communication. I presume that we will get to hear about her funeral in a few episodes. And I also like loose ends tied up.

Anyone with thoughts on why Hyun Seok decided to openly tell Yi Jin and her father that he used to be in love with No Ra? I understood the declaration of friendship. Making it clear to YJ that he is on NR side and not to mess with her. But why the fuller confession?

Archived