Top 5 Places You Want to Go?

Guest severus

Guest severus

Because procrastination...

Here's the beginning of my list.. 

1. Tibet: There's no other place in the world really like Tibet. I haven't been yet, but I want to spend at least two months there because it's the perfect place to immerse yourself into a completely new environment. Not that I expect some spiritual revelation there, but I want to see for myself what being completely devoted to religion looks like. Like, does no one else ever just have the urge to pack up your things and join a Tibetan tribe?

Lhasa:

tibet.jpg

I also feel like walking around in these outfits would be super fun times:

W020110929360640035586.jpg

And I want to go to a Tibetan Sky Burial ...... gruesome and beautiful at the same time :wub:

I wonder if the only way into Tibetan tribal lyfe is being born into one. TIME TO DO SOME GOOGLING. 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guh please stop making me think about vacations I just got back from one and start work tomorrow...:( But of course I'm gonna reply to this haha

1. Iceland - A lot of my friends have gone on trips to Iceland and it basically looks like heaven. I want to go during the northern lights and if I had money, I'd stay in the ice hotels. I also love Sigur RosRos/Jonsi and want to listen to their albums while I venture across Iceland. Something about their music seems like it'll be that much more magical while listening to in Iceland.

2. England - Have not gone to Europe yet and where else to go to than the birthplace of Harry Potter? Haha all jokes aside, I've always wanted to go there and even dabbled into the idea of living there for a year just bartending just so I can try it out. Something about England/UK captivates me so much and a lot of it is probably just romanticizing somewhere I've always wanted to go, but either way, it definitely is on my list. 

3. Thailand - Thailand is absolutely going to be my next trip to Asia. I'm not too into the resort type of vacation, but I feel as though Thailand has a good amount of resort and cultural feel that I would definitely love. The food alone would get me there. No pad thai please.

4. New Zealand - I'm semi-into extreme sports (meaning I've been bungee jumping once and feel like a badass) and New Zealand is an adrenaline junkies paradise. That and the landscape? Geeze.

5. Tie between Brazil and Japan - I've already been to Japan, but I feel like there's SO much more to see. I visited Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Mt. Fuji and Fukuoka, but there is seriously so much more for me to visit there. Also, Brazil because the passion and the mixed culture of the Brazilian people always made me fascinated by them. That and Carnival is on my bucket list...

That's basically the tip of the iceberg (Galapagos, Austria, Cambodia, Czech Republic, India, South Africa...) and hundreds of other places sigh. Why can't I be rich and retire by 30 and travel the world for the rest of my life...

1. Shanghai for the 小龙饱
My parents go back to China every 2 years and they either go to Shanghai or do a lay over in Beijing.

2. Taiwan for all the cutesy stuff I keep hearing about.

3. Germany. I had a co-worker from German, dated a guy who did an exchange in Germany and kept telling me about the fresh bread baked daily.

4. Japan for all the Shiba Inus... My friend told me he'd take me to Shibuya? and look at all the Shiba Inus.

I don't know where else I'd want to go though..

Guest severus

Why can't I be rich and retire by 30 and travel the world for the rest of my life...

Haha you don't necessarily have to be rich! Like you said, just going somewhere and bartending for a living while travelling sounds like a good option. A quick google search says my only option is to reincarnate into a Tibetan tribe (or one of their yaks), or marrying into one and become the 'common wife' of several brothers.... so that's not going to happen.

1. Shanghai for the 小龙饱
My parents go back to China every 2 years and they either go to Shanghai or do a lay over in Beijing

Ahhhh 小笼包,if I was to eat one thing for the rest of my life, it'd be 蟹粉小笼包 from Nanxiang in Shanghai. Dintaifung in Taiwan is also soooooo goooood. My love for meat is my biggest barrier to monastic life hahahaha.

@Lie you basically listed all the top spots Asia in your just your first trip lmao. I know what you mean about wanting to go to New Zealand though, the desire to live in the Shire as a hobbit is real. 

Guest severus

Totally romanticizing Tibetan life right now. But sometimes I wonder if this is my place in the world. Just me and my yak, and a kid that I steal from the neighbouring village.

201407032150551ee2c.jpg

Guest mackeralkitty

I haven't left the continent ever. :(

That said, my boyfriend and I would love to see Tibet too. And just about anywhere.

1. Japan - First of all, just so many friends there and they're scattered all over the place. I've been really lucky to have befriended, met, and worked with so many wonderful people from there. I'm hoping to live there for a little while. I really want to travel to some far out places there. I know enough people living there who are willing to guide me around and go shopping and stuff together. It's going to be really fun when I finally can afford to go.

2. Malaysia - I want to meet my boyfriend's family and see where he grew up. :D But I also really want to travel all of Southeast Asia. 

3. China - Again, more friends living there. But I'm interested in going to certain areas. ^^ I want to visit where some of my friends grew up. China is probably the country where most people I've met from there tell me to move there. lol

4. Taiwan - I'm not totally sure why, but I do know is this is the place everyone I know falls in love with. My friends who have lived there temporarily always dream of going back. For many of them, that place was their first time living abroad. I really want to go.

5. Ireland - I mainly have Irish roots. I've wanted to go for awhile. 

Honestly, I want to visit as many places as possible. I've never had the opportunities and now I'm just dying to experience living somewhere else, or traveling. I'm also really interested in visiting different places in South America but just haven't pinpointed where to go exactly.

I don't really have a top 5, so I'm cheating a bit and listing this by continent:

1. Asia: Japan - been there thrice, but still feel I haven't seen much. Would like to visit more off-the-beaten track places and sample local cuisine.

2. Europe: Netherlands (return visit), Scotland (return visit, miss the damn place), Ireland, Wales, Greece and Spain - for Nijntje, whisky, castles, history, food. Probably Scandinavia too

3. North America: Canada - Vancouver and Toronto (have friends in both), Banff National Park, Montreal, etc. Boston for USA

4. South America: Maybe Argentina and Chile

Guest HERMIT

1. De Wallen - Amsterdam, Netherlands.  I've never had a better plate of shawarma since I left this place. But it's probably just the cannabis talking. The nearby Heineken brewery calls - I wouldn't mind touring that place again.

2. Corcovado - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.  I want to look up at the majestic sight and just say "Jesus Christ."  And it would literally be true.

3. Burj Khalifa - Dubai, United Arab Emirates.  I guess I just want to seriously put my fear of heights to the test.  I just hope Vin Diesel doesn't crash his car onto the floor I might happen to be on.

4. Nana Plaza - Bangkok, Thailand.  The cats here could very well kill my curiosity. But my curiosity still remains.  (Is nana44 from here?)

5. La Rambla - Barcelona, Spain.  Sitting outdoors with some tapas and San Miguel, people watching and enjoying the atmosphere.  Sounds good right about now.

Guest severus

Soooo nobody's been to Tibet? Nobody wants to go to Tibet either? 

1. De Wallen - Amsterdam, Netherlands.  I've never had a better plate of shawarma since I left this place. But it's probably just the cannabis talking. The nearby Heineken brewery calls - I wouldn't mind touring that place again.

Shawarma/ kebab and cannabis is a winning combination anywhere in the world lmao. 

Hmmm, hard question. There aren't a huge number of places that I want to go to and haven't been to.Still, that doesn't mean there aren't places I want to go to.

1. Canada - Got a brief trip lined up to see family there soon, but I certainly would like to go for a trip to the north in winter to see the aurora again.

2. Sweden/Finland - I've done Norway twice and also been to Iceland, but never got around to going to Sweden or Finland. I totally want to sit in one of those saunas

3. New Zealand - The nearest neighbour to my home country. It's a travesty that I still haven't been there yet

4. Antarctica - Having seen the Aurora Borealis, I need to see the Aurora Australis

5. Haven't really got a 5th in mind just yet.  I suppose I could say China. I've been there a few times but it's such a varied country. Perhaps Tibet? Mongolia?

Guest nana544

1. Tahiti, need I say more??

2. Paris, France.

3. Dubai and the flower place that they have.

4. Thailand, yummy food and beautiful island.

5. Switzerland, they have beautiful scenery of mountains.

Guest Vaaii

1. Japan, but I'm headed there in less then a week so Wooo!!!

2. Korea

3. France

4. Germany

5. Somewhere with a lot of snow. Greenland? lol

There are others like the states but I specifically mentioned the ones I haven't been to yet since I do travel quite a bit.

Guest severus

5. Haven't really got a 5th in mind just yet.  I suppose I could say China. I've been there a few times but it's such a varied country. Perhaps Tibet? Mongolia?

Andddd we have Tibet! 

Have you been to the Yunnan/ Lijiang /Dali /Shangri La region in your multiple trips to China? Hands down my favourite part of China, with Suzhou & Hangzhou being a close second. Guilin is serene, but it's been 10 years since I've been there and I've been told it's an utter sht show now. I'd say hire a guide that can take you for a visit to the Miao tribes in Yunnan, they have suchhhh cool customs and foods. First and last time I'll eat freshly butchered raw pork. 

Andddd we have Tibet! 

Have you been to the Yunnan/ Lijiang /Dali /Shangri La region in your multiple trips to China? Hands down my favourite part of China, with Suzhou & Hangzhou being a close second. Guilin is serene, but it's been 10 years since I've been there and I've been told it's an utter sht show now. I'd say hire a guide that can take you for a visit to the Miao tribes in Yunnan, they have suchhhh cool customs and foods. First and last time I'll eat freshly butchered raw pork. 

pretty much the only places I've been to in China are Beijing, Shanghai, Tianjin, Fuzhou. Wouldn't recommend Tianjin and Fuzhou since they're mostly industrial cities albeit incredibly clean ones. Something 90%+ of the moped/motorcycle/scooter traffic in Fuzhou is electric so even when you're in a jam and surrounded by those things it's never noisy or dusty. Quite the eye opener.

Pretty much anywhere there is a decent range of mountains I could find interesting. 

In fact, I'll be off to the US and Canada for a couple weeks in August. Whoop more stamps in my passport

Archived