Slam Dunk

Guest NovaMania

Guest NovaMania

Go ShohokuSlam-Dunk-Wall-slamdunk-34860091-1920-12

Plot:

Hanamichi Sakuragi is a delinquent outcast and leader of a gang. Sakuragi, being very unpopular with girls, has been rejected by them 50 times. In his first year at Shohoku High School, he finds out that Haruko Akagi is the girl of his dreams, and is happy when she is not scared of him like all the other girls he has asked out.

Haruko Akagi, who recognizes Sakuragi's athleticism, introduces him to the Shohoku basketball team. Sakuragi was reluctant to join the team at first because he had no previous background in any sports and thought that basketball was a game for losers (also because the 50th girl rejected him for a basketball player). Sakuragi, despite his immaturity and hot temper, proves to be a natural athlete with potential and joins the team in order to impress Haruko and prove that he is worthy of her. Later on, Sakuragi realizes that his love for the sport equals that of his crush on Haruko. Kaede Rukawa — Sakuragi's bitter rival (both on the basketball court and love, even when Rukawa doesn't acknowledge Haruko's crush on him), the star rookie and a "girl magnet" — joins the team at the same time. Hisashi Mitsui, an ex-junior high school MVP, and Ryota Miyagi, a short but fast player, both also rejoin the team and together these four struggle to complete team captain Takenori Akagi's dream of making Shohoku the national champion. Together, these misfits gain publicity and the once little known Shohoku basketball team becomes an all-star contender in Japan.

Volumes: 31 (Complete) http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=90

Published by: Viz

Anime Episodes: 101 + 4 films

shohoku-slamdunk-34859978-918-532.jpg

slam1_01.jpg

slamdunk_800.jpg

Has anyone watched/read Slam Dunk? I guess by now it's considered the great shonen manga/anime of the previous generation but I finally read the last 9 volumes of the manga (when they go to IH national competition) and I was still as enchanted by it as I was when I watched the anime in fifth grade. It's not that well known in english but i think people who had been into anime/manga around the early-mid 90s will remember the basketball craze.

The manga really surpasses the anime in terms of action and emotional strength. I dunno how many people have read to the end but I was really touched by Sakuragi and the entire Shohoku team's determination. I know a lot of people reject this immediately because it's about a sport they're not familiar with and the art is not the sparkly-eyed shojo style with clear lines. but after finally finishing the manga, it's defintely one of the best if not the best manga i've read. it's really inspiring and not only does it make me want to grow 8 inches and dunk but it also made me cry reading the game with sannoh. if you haven't read it, you should give it a try because it's definitely worth it

i'm just rambling on, does anyone even remember this? o well, i want to promote slam dunk cus it's so darn good

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Take Five

i had a slam dunk pencilbox when i was a kid lol. but i have the anime but haven't watched it yet =/

anyway, i thought shoujo style was the one that didn't have clear lines o.o

Guest Y g U e N e G

yup i watched it=] i watched up to episode 90 something but it wasnt finished in anime bnut i heard the guy just finished it in manga though

Guest iamsh3d

never watched the anime.. but read the entire manga... like 100 times over.. i freakin LOVE slamdunk.. its my all time number1 favorite manga ever!!.. kinda biased cause im a huge bball fan too! but dang... awesome awesome manga.. you dont even have to be a bball fan to like that anime/manga... i love Slamdunk!

Guest Foreversky

Slam dunk taught me how to play basketball, made me want to play basketball, showed me the world of basketball. Best anime ever, go rukawa~

Guest NovaMania

yay I'm glad some people still like it ^_^ it is a very good manga. all the characters are so real; i found some pictures of the settings (the real places in Japan) I'll try to post them up next week

i haven't read the manga, but i had a tape of one of the episodes. it was good and i remember that i loved it. now... i don't have the tape anymore... T^T i think i lost it or something... T^T

-S0LLY <3

• 3 weeks later...

READ REAL! His new basketball manga. It's about handicapped basketball players. They play in wheelchairs. It's really GOOD and meaningful. SD doesn't really deal with real life issues as much as REAL does (a normal healthy person gets into an accident and looses his legs. How can he play basketball again?): hence the title REAL.

Guest NovaMania

^I was looking at that but i hadn't read it yet. I found another manga he was doing called buzzerbeater. i"ll check out real then

- i posted some pictures. i have some time now that college apps are done, i'll post more SD related things

I actually just started reading Real. It's pretty good but I don't like how theres so many little stories and how it jumps from one story to the next.

Slam Dunk is probably one of my favorite mangas ever, so I'd suggest whoever liked Slam Dunk to go and read Real.

^I was looking at that but i hadn't read it yet. I found another manga he was doing called buzzerbeater. i"ll check out real then

there was a Buzzer Beater anime.. however it was totally different than the manga (the Manga is alot shorter). The idea of intergalactic basketball didn't catch on too well unfortunately.

Guest epark1281

This manga was the BEST in sports. I sometimes felt like i was watching a REAL basketball game, my heart would pound like the hometeam was down 1 with 4.5 seconds left in the game. TIGHT manga, fo sho.

Guest kuchiki_byakuya

i have a copy of this anime and manga...

reading and watching it over and over

and yeah reading fanfics about sakuragi and rukawa :P :P :P or sometimes sendoh.

my fave characters are: sendoh, fujima and rukawa..

yeah fan girl mode :P im one of rukawa's shinetai :P

RUKAWA RUKAWA, LOVE ME LOVE ME RUKAWA.. haha!!

i have a copy of this anime and manga...

reading and watching it over and over

and yeah reading fanfics about sakuragi and rukawa :P :P :P or sometimes sendoh.

my fave characters are: sendoh, fujima and rukawa..

yeah fan girl mode :P im one of rukawa's shinetai :P

RUKAWA RUKAWA, LOVE ME LOVE ME RUKAWA.. haha!!

The TV series my fav. episode is when he went to buy new tennis shoes. (He started to dash back and forth in the store to try them out like a dork LOLOLOL. The salesman was so scared)

I LOVE THAT ONE.

i have the whole set of manga & i bought the whole series of anime. :lol:

it's the ONLY title that i have the full set for both manga and anime (bought not burnt). =D

Guest this luallaby

IT IS THE BEST ANIME I EVER WATCHED.

IT IS SO FREAKING GOOD. INCREDIBLE. NO, THAT WOULD BE A UNDERSTATEMENT. IT IS NEAR PERFECT.

I watched it about a gazillion times and never got sick of it. It is so humorous and cute.

Archived